Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    My Team
    Germany
    Post Count
    just look at this ing roster sons, stacked doesn't do it justice:

dida - best brasilian goalkeeper in memory
    roque junior - core player on a UCL finalist.
    lucio - hall of famer defender
    roberto carlos - one of the GOAT LBs
    cafu - one of the GOAT RBs
    gilberto silva - great player in '02, arsenal snatched him for peanuts
    ronaldo - goat no 9 in my book
    rivaldo - superstar, top 5 player, etc
    ronaldinho - superstar in the making
    belletti - this was good tbh.
    polga - nice career at sporting, adequate benchwarmer
    kleberson - talented but busted at united
    denilson - top 25 player at the time imo, if he were a bit smarter he would've had a much better career
    juninho - core player at a UCL semifinalist, GOAT free kick taker
    kaka - baby superstar
    plus an adequate list of bench warmers.

Also a nicely balanced roster in comparison to spain '10 or brasil '72, with a lot more physical presence than the 10s Barcelona teams, with much more creativity than the 10s best real teams, more talent than the Galacticos (crazy tbh), much better build up play than the best bayern teams. I can't think of one team with a better and more balanced roster. This roster had crazy firepower in a balanced team, they were physical yet technical, could play all imaginable strategies, and had more superstar talent than anything in memory. Imo this is an impeccable team. Proof of this, they won with a towel boy as a coach.

My Team
    Germany
    Post Count
    also, I'll always remember that world cup for the refereeing south korea got, I have never seen more shameful :
    vs portugal
    vs spain
    vs italy
    vs deutschland

Watching some of these games is just byron moreno giving 20mins of extra time and smuggling coke. That concacaf negro who put all these referees there. Argie ref letting them play till they break their bones. Egyptian ref vs spain. Italy got kungfu-ed out there and the ref gave them yellows for taking elbows in the head.

south korea had 5 ing goals disallowed against them in the compe ion

On the bright side we wouldn't have beaten those spain or italy sides ... so

My Team
    Real Madrid CF
    Post Count
    Horrendous WC tbh, let's hope no WC will ever get organized there again.

Has to be Mexico 70 Brazil team, but they took out the Uruguay side in the semis with huge polemic.

Italy 82 was a very clear champion, defeating all top teams except France, no penalties, lost games nor any BS. France '98, Italy '06 and Spain '10 were clear cut better than any other team in those WC's.

My Team
    Germany
    Post Count
    They can't even beat Chill. Imagine midget and buddies at the Copa America final against those guys

no..You just say that cause you guys were an embarrasment of a finals team.

Ronaldo 9 is GOAT 9 though and easily one of the top 5 players ever...Could have been GOAT if not for the injury and if he wasnt sick in the finals of 98.

My Team
    Real Madrid CF
    Post Count
    Brazil 1970 was just unreal

And the level of the 1970 WC was high, there was no small team in that edition

My Team
    Portugal
    Post Count
    They're definitely up there, imho tbh

This is probably the first time I've seen someone say Belletti was good though Around here he's known for having the greatest agent of all time

65 tons of American pride Canyonero's Avatar
    My Team
    CA River Plate
    Post Count
    OP saying that because they were spanked in the final.

My Team
    France
    Post Count
    wtf ?

My Team
    France
    Post Count
    just because

dida - best brasilian goalkeeper in memory -> being the best Brazilian goalkeeper is not saying much tbh
    roque junior - core player on a UCL finalist. -> the dude who was in charge to supervise Brazil opponents in 2014 ?...
    lucio - hall of famer defender -> legit
    roberto carlos - one of the GOAT LBs -> overrated POS tbh... dude cost a WC to Brazil too busy looking at his socks rather than keeping up with Henry. He was an overrated offensive player due to his spectacular free kicks but was below average defender... a real definition of overrated
    cafu - one of the GOAT RBs -> legit even though he had passed his prime in 2002
    gilberto silva - great player in '02, arsenal snatched him for peanuts -> meh
    ronaldo - goat no 9 in my book -> yup
    rivaldo - superstar, top 5 player, etc -> good club player only known for scoring, average talent other than that but sub par performance with Brazil, not sure dude even scored a relevant goal for Brazil during a WC.
    ronaldinho - superstar in the making -> ya in the making
    belletti - this was good tbh. -> who ?
    polga - nice career at sporting, adequate benchwarmer -> who ?
    kleberson - talented but busted at united -> who ?
    denilson - top 25 player at the time imo, if he were a bit smarter he would've had a much better career -> definition of useless grigri all over the place, pathetic in 98 against France, barely saw him during 2002 WC
    juninho - core player at a UCL semifinalist, GOAT free kick taker -> not a star but very solid player indeed

2002 is a meh WC, Belgium, Turkey and England is cake walk to finals tbh

My Team
    Germany
    Post Count
    Brazil 1970 was just unreal
    And the level of the 1970 WC was high, there was no small team in that edition
    I agree 1970 brasil were really talented but tbh I rate modern players better because the game has changed a lot. Also that brasil had some cupcake games tbh, so imo I'd take other goat teams over them.

They're definitely up there, imho tbh
    This is probably the first time I've seen someone say Belletti was good though Around here he's known for having the greatest agent of all time
    he was serviceable tbh. In a team with all that talent you need some s who keep their head down and scrub the floor tbh.

OP saying that because they were spanked in the final.
    I respect talent son. We got to to a world cup final with oliver khan, michael ballack, baby klose and a load of hot trash, after a glorious '00 euro where we managed to get one ing point. ONE. It's an understatement to say that we had NO ING business being there. I've never been prouder of a german team than that, they played hard.

just because
    dida - best brasilian goalkeeper in memory -> being the best Brazilian goalkeeper is not saying much tbh
    roque junior - core player on a UCL finalist. -> the dude who was in charge to supervise Brazil opponents in 2014 ?...
    lucio - hall of famer defender -> legit
    roberto carlos - one of the GOAT LBs -> overrated POS tbh... dude cost a WC to Brazil too busy looking at his socks rather than keeping up with Henry. He was an overrated offensive player due to his spectacular free kicks but was below average defender... a real definition of overrated
    cafu - one of the GOAT RBs -> legit even though he had passed his prime in 2002
    gilberto silva - great player in '02, arsenal snatched him for peanuts -> meh
    ronaldo - goat no 9 in my book -> yup
    rivaldo - superstar, top 5 player, etc -> good club player only known for scoring, average talent other than that but sub par performance with Brazil, not sure dude even scored a relevant goal for Brazil during a WC.
    ronaldinho - superstar in the making -> ya in the making
    belletti - this was good tbh. -> who ?
    polga - nice career at sporting, adequate benchwarmer -> who ?
    kleberson - talented but busted at united -> who ?
    denilson - top 25 player at the time imo, if he were a bit smarter he would've had a much better career -> definition of useless grigri all over the place, pathetic in 98 against France, barely saw him during 2002 WC
    juninho - core player at a UCL semifinalist, GOAT free kick taker -> not a star but very solid player indeed

2002 is a meh WC, Belgium, Turkey and England is cake walk to finals tbh
    you beat what you encounter tbh, I agree that they had an easy schedule but look at brasil '70, barely beat england and romania, then peru, uruguay and an exhausted italy.

imo you heavily underrate roberto carlos, imo carlos covered a lot of ground and really stretched teams on the left flank, while his marking isn't something to write home about his space creation and finishing are elite for a LB tbh. I agree he was kind of a got and he wasn't ronaldo/ronaldinho level but he was an elite player. This was in an also in an era in which flanks weren't as open as they are today. His tactical value was really high tbh, it's no wonder he was a core piece at the galacticos.

And ing at your rivaldo description, you high or what? Dude was a bonafide superstar. His barcelona career is exceptional. Also lol at saying he never scored a relevant goal for brasil with him scoring 5 at the 2002 world cup alone. He was also involved in both final goals Imo you could argue he was the mvp of that crazy stacked team, I recall scolari even saying that, even though I rate scolari like I rate d'antoni . He also has 2 world cups and 2 copas, so the hardware is definitely there. wtf lol, what's with the hate tbh?

My Team
    France
    Post Count
    Roberto Carlos was overrated I'm not saying he was a scrub tbh
    I stand by what I said about rivaldo a good/great if you want club player with average talent other than scoring, a better version of giroud. For Brazil he was meh his whole career, scored in 2002 against scrub teams and an important one against England iirc, that's about it. Dude will be forgotten totally in 10 years.

Overall No way Brazil 2002 is some kind of goat team. They had prime Ronaldo and yes prime Ronaldo is something else but the rest is nothing to goat about

My Team
    Real Madrid CF
    Post Count
    Carlos was pretty good on both ends

You can't ask more from a fullback tbh

turkey 2002 was unlucky againts brazil 2002 tbh

My Team
    AFC Ajax
    Post Count
    I stand by what I said about rivaldo a good/great if you want club player with average talent other than scoring, a better version of giroud.

Benezema would be a better version of scrub ass Giroud, Rivaldo was better than ass Neymar who's a wasteful finisher.

But...but..but...he didn't much for his country:

But...but..but...he only scores against scrubs:

My Team
    Germany
    Post Count
    Roberto Carlos was overrated I'm not saying he was a scrub tbh
    I stand by what I said about rivaldo a good/great if you want club player with average talent other than scoring, a better version of giroud. For Brazil he was meh his whole career, scored in 2002 against scrub teams and an important one against England iirc, that's about it. Dude will be forgotten totally in 10 years.

Overall No way Brazil 2002 is some kind of goat team. They had prime Ronaldo and yes prime Ronaldo is something else but the rest is nothing to goat about
    this entire post but especially the bolded :

My Team
    Portugal
    Post Count
    Wow

Brazil you my but if you're not going to reconsider that take on Rivaldo then it's probably time to stop posting ITT, tbh...

My Team
    Germany
    Post Count

this is the most perfect and aesthetic bicycle kick I have ever seen, it has power, placement, demarcation, sublime chest control, under pressure and against a big team and a great GK. It was scored in the last second of a game against a top 5-10 european team (that valencia was strong) to complete a hat trick and to assure UCL qualification. Sorry, but the Giroud comparison is , Giroud can't even comprehend this level of greatness tbh.

My Team
    Sao Paulo Futebol Clube
    Post Count
    Comparing Rivaldo with Giroud ? Man, i thought Brazil lived in BR. They aren't remotely similar. In style or talent-wise. Rilvado carried Brazil along with Ronaldo to the Finals in 2002.

It's like comparing Platini with Hulk tbh

Just assume the bad take and let's move on Brazil.

My Team
    France
    Post Count
    I am saying a better version of Giroud because of play style. Then you have kawhistorm posting a hat trick on a friendship game... duh that's my point. Again not saying he was a scrub or something, he had some good games on copa america, scored an important goal in 2002 and some also good amistosos, overall he was meh for Brazil, far from being the efficient scorer he was on club. At the end Rivaldo is nowhere close to be in a first, second or even third all time great Brazilian team. Remembering the point of this thread is to discuss if Brazil 2002 is some sort of goat team which is pretty stupid. Finally dfens is my but posting a gif to justify some greatness is I can post more spectacular stuff of Papin, I'm even sure I can post some great Giroud gif too

Back to the topic, Brazil 2002 is not even goat team of the decade, Spain 2010 > Brazil 2002. Brazil 2002 clicked at the right time during WC but just before the team was a mess, they barely qualified for the compe ion. So yeah this thread is just stock at this point.

My Team
    Sao Paulo Futebol Clube
    Post Count
    Because Spain didn't click at the right time ? They lost against Swiss in that WC son plz and barely qualified to the playoffs in a group with Chile, Honduras and Swiss.

If Swiss doesn't choke a game against ing Honduras, Spain would be 2nd in their group and they would have a much harder path in the WC. Brazil in the 8s, Netherlands in the 4as and Uruguay in the semis . They barely beat Portugal, they were 1 missed Penaldo away (freaking Cardozo) from being eliminated by freaking Paraguay in the 4as and they were lucky as in the Finals with Robben missing a ridiculous goal.

Stop to overrate 2010 Spain son. They had one of the luckiest WC runs of all-time and they don't belong to any conversation as one of the best WC teams of all-time.

My Team
    France
    Post Count
    Because Spain didn't click at the right time ? They lost against Swiss in that WC son plz and barely qualified to the playoffs in a group with Chile, Honduras and Swiss.

If Swiss doesn't choke a game against ing Honduras, Spain would be 2nd in their group and they would have a much harder path in the WC. Brazil in the 8s, Netherlands in the 4as and Uruguay in the semis . They barely beat Portugal, they were 1 missed Penaldo away (freaking Cardozo) from being eliminated by freaking Paraguay in the 4as and they were lucky as in the Finals with Robben missing a ridiculous goal.

Stop to overrate 2010 Spain son. They had one of the luckiest WC runs of all-time and they don't belong to any conversation as one of the best WC teams of all-time.
    Spain won Euro 2 years before, this team won the WC then won the next Euro, we are talking about a consistent great generation, having some hick ups during qualification happen (see Italy). Brazil in 2001 had just an atrocious copa america.

Finally I don't understand why people don't read and just jump into everything, where did I say that Spain was one best WC teams of all time ? I just mentionned that Brazil 2002 is not even the team of decade and spain 2010 > brazil 2002. This thread is just silly. Brazil 2002 does not belong to any conversation as one of the best WC of all time even more than Spain 2010.

so yeah stop deflecting

Was Brazil 2002 the goat team ?
    You consider Brazil 2002 > Spain 2010 ?

My Team
    Germany
    Post Count
    I am saying a better version of Giroud because of play style. Then you have kawhistorm posting a hat trick on a friendship game... duh that's my point. Again not saying he was a scrub or something, he had some good games on copa america, scored an important goal in 2002 and some also good amistosos, overall he was meh for Brazil, far from being the efficient scorer he was on club. At the end Rivaldo is nowhere close to be in a first, second or even third all time great Brazilian team. Remembering the point of this thread is to discuss if Brazil 2002 is some sort of goat team which is pretty stupid. Finally dfens is my but posting a gif to justify some greatness is I can post more spectacular stuff of Papin, I'm even sure I can post some great Giroud gif too

Back to the topic, Brazil 2002 is not even goat team of the decade, Spain 2010 > Brazil 2002. Brazil 2002 clicked at the right time during WC but just before the team was a mess, they barely qualified for the compe ion. So yeah this thread is just stock at this point.
    son you're my but tbh rivaldo and giroud do not belong in the same sentence. Rivaldo was imo the most important player on that 2002 brasil squad. Also I don't necessarily rate a team on of compe ion but on of football quality and versatility. That 2002 roster had 3 superstars (ronaldo+rivaldo+ronaldinho), one in the making(kaka), 4 other true star players (carlos/cafu/lucio/juninho) and a slew of quality role players (silva, dida, denilson, junior, etc).
    FYI the best barcelona sides had 1 superstar (messi), 3-4 star players (xavi, iniesta, fabregas->suarez, puyol->neymar) and a slew of quality role players (pique, bisquits, alves, sanchez/etc).

That offensive triplet of ronaldo + rivaldo + ronaldinho is just mind boggingly insane.

My Team
    Germany
    Post Count
    Spain won Euro 2 years before, this team won the WC then won the next Euro, we are talking about a consistent great generation, having some hick ups during qualification happen (see Italy). Brazil in 2001 had just an atrocious copa america.

Finally I don't understand why people don't read and just jump into everything, where did I say that Spain was one best WC teams of all time ? I just mentionned that Brazil 2002 is not even the team of decade and spain 2010 > brazil 2002. This thread is just silly. Brazil 2002 does not belong to any conversation as one of the best WC of all time even more than Spain 2010.

so yeah stop deflecting

I'd take 2002 brasil over '10 spain quite easily. That spain team had zero flexibility and found it very hard to adapt to games (many examples here..). Sure if they'd get that 1-0 advantage it was ing OVER, but they weren't at best at playing from behind. Also they weren't a physically imposing team and were really tested by the dutch on that front. What I'm saying is that a true GOAT team can adapt beat any threat, not just rape non-contenders, and imo spain always had a problem of adaptability, as they were too specialized as a team. This is what ELO and compe ion doesn't show you and imo is a problem with how people rate both football and basketball, people fail to understand that the best teams can easily adapt to situations and have an answer for any question, they have size, they have skill, they have explosion, they can play possession or counter, they have big name and game players that can do it on their own.

I can easily say this because germany is too a team that adapts with difficulty, and I've heard it many times that we had such a great team and we were unlucky here, unlucky there. Luck exists, there is no denying it, but the 10s germany, the 10s spain and the 10s argentina are all teams which play a railroaded style. This style is good and minimizes risk but if you overspecialize in a style you can't adapt to threats (unlucky situations).

Imo top to bottom the spanish roster has more talent but as a starting 11 '02 brasil is better in terms of talent/explosiveness/adaptability/firepower.

My Team
    Sao Paulo Futebol Clube
    Post Count

so yeah stop deflecting

Are we discussing the 2010 WC team or the generation ? The fact that Spain had a great generation (and I don't take that away from them) does not change the fact that they had a lucky WC run in 2010.
    Did you even bother to check Brazil's squad in the 2001 CA ? Brazil sent a C team in 2001. The attack of that team was Jardel, Guilherme and Ewerton

No Cafu, Roberto Carlos, Lucio, Rivaldo, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho or Kaká. How's that relevant if OP is clearly taking about a totally different team ? Neymar alone finished that Spain generation in 13 just 1 year after they won Eurocup against Italy. Irrelevant, as we're talking about the 2010 team.

When you try to discredit Brazil's team comparing Rivaldo with Giroud, you simply lose all your credibility. They're not similar at all, skill-wise or talent-wise. So just say "Eu fiz cagada comparando Rivaldo com o Giroud, perdoem-me por isso" and we move on from that.

Answering your question

1 - No, the GOAT team was Brazil's 70 in my opinion.

2 - Yes, I'd take the 2002 Brazil squad over the 2010 Spain and I think Brazil's run was better too. Spain had a better mid-field, but Brazil had a much superior attack and a better defense line as well.

That Spanish generation is among the best of all-time, no doubt about that. But that 2010 team one of the best teams/WC runs of all-time? Nah.

Thread Information