Battlefield 4
    Tomb Raider 2013
    Super Mario 3D World
    Guacamelee
    Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not informed enough to know. Crazy thing, GTA V and Last of us Online still have a large multiplayer community. It's crazy.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    Sorry brah...2007.

Modern Warfare
    Mass Effect
    Crysis
    Assassins Creed
    Portal
    DiRT
    The Witcher
    BioShock
    Super Mario Galaxy
    Rock Band
    God of War II
    Halo 3
    The Orange Box
    Uncharted
    Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    R&C tools of destruction

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1997. Quake 2 came out.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    2005 for me.

Resident Evil 4
    Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic 2
    God of War
    Indigo Prophecy
    Need For Speed Most Wanted

Few more I'm probably forgetting.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sorry brah...2007.

Modern Warfare
    Mass Effect
    Crysis
    Assassins Creed
    Portal
    DiRT
    The Witcher
    BioShock
    Super Mario Galaxy
    Rock Band
    God of War II
    Halo 3
    The Orange Box
    Uncharted
    Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction

Assassins Creed 1 was a lousy and repe ive game that was an incredible disappointment at the time and looks even worse with age. You're really padding your list putting that game on. Orange Box shouldn't count since Half Life 2 released in 2004 and you already mentioned Portal. And Rock Band being on a best games list?

I think Bioshock Infinite is a much better game than Bioshock 1. Bioshock 1 was amazing in the first half of the game, but really lost its steam about the time you figured out you were Atlas' slave. I'll take GTA V, The Last of Us, or Bioshock Infinite over any game from 2007.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd have to put 2007 second though. Modern Warfare 1, Portal, and especially Crysis 1 have aged amazingly also. Too bad Crytek is about to go belly up, so no Crysis 4.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Assassins Creed 1 was a lousy and repe ive game that was an incredible disappointment at the time and looks even worse with age. You're really padding your list putting that game on. Orange Box shouldn't count since Half Life 2 released in 2004 and you already mentioned Portal. And Rock Band being on a best games list?

I think Bioshock Infinite is a much better game than Bioshock 1. Bioshock 1 was amazing in the first half of the game, but really lost its steam about the time you figured out you were Atlas' slave. I'll take GTA V, The Last of Us, or Bioshock Infinite over any game from 2007.
    You're disecting his picks like it's do or die and .

I also had a chuckled on Rockband too though. That game was fun but shouldn't be on a best game list.

Agreed on Assassins Creed 1, too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1997. Quake 2 came out.
    Damn, that was a killer year:

Quake 2
    Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
    Fallout
    Final Fantasy VII
    Final Fantasy Tactics
    Goldeneye
    Starfox 64

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Damn, that was a killer year:

Quake 2
    Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
    Fallout
    Final Fantasy VII
    Final Fantasy Tactics
    Goldeneye
    Starfox 64
    I thought I edited it to put Goldeneye in

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Last of Us
    GTA V
    Bioshock Infinite
    Metro Last Light
    Battlefield 4
    Tomb Raider 2013
    Super Mario 3D World
    Guacamelee
    Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
    I know me and BB are gonna disagree like Cats and Dogs on this one, as I think most of the games aside from BF 4 (multiplayer), Melee, and 3D World are hand-holding "modern generation" games with pretty shallow gameplay (doesn't mean they're not fun). Anyhow, from my "gameplay purist" perspective, I'm going with 1998.

So many truly groundbreaking games here that basically invented genres (Metal Gear Solid, Tenchu, and Thief all kind of "invented" the modern stealth genre that year, and each le's gameplay is still far superior in that regard to something like the Uncharted series and The Last of Us. Rainbow Six invented the tactical sim shooter), pushed innovation forward (Ocarina, Starcraft, Unreal, Half-Life, Freespace, Gran Turismo, etc), or were just great in' games in their own right (Panzer Dragoon Saga, Fallout 2, Final Fantasy Tactics, Xenogears, etc).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ Nice call, had no idea so many games of that caliber came out in the same year. I played the out of so many on that list, including some you didn't have highlighted, like Age of Empires and Delta Force.

But damn... Unreal, Half-Life, Freespace, Baldur's Gate, Starcraft, Ocarina of Time... all legends.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count

Well I took it as a best year for gaming would include a ton of great games plus cultural impact, not just the elite of the elite. I wouldn't call a year the greatest based on 3 games with 2 of them sequels tbh. I also gave weight to the number of franchises that launched that year (UC, Witcher, Portal, Crysis, ME, AC).

You can change Orange Box to Half Life 2: Ep 2 if it makes you feel better

Really Rock Band? You're trying to forget about that era because it's dated. Rock Band was critically acclaimed and won numerous awards and was the peak of the rhythm/party game revolution. I sure as was playing it for about a year.

But anyways I'd put Modern Warfare over any game in 2013 personally (partial to Mass Effect as well). MW was the last multiplayer game that literally ran since Counter-Strike.

1998 was my second choice imo.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well I took it as a best year for gaming would include a ton of great games plus cultural impact, not just the elite of the elite. I wouldn't call a year the greatest based on 3 games with 2 of them sequels tbh. I also gave weight to the number of franchises that launched that year (UC, Witcher, Portal, Crysis, ME, AC).

You can change Orange Box to Half Life 2: Ep 2 if it makes you feel better

Really Rock Band? You're trying to forget about that era because it's dated. Rock Band was critically acclaimed and won numerous awards and was the peak of the rhythm/party game revolution. I sure as was playing it for about a year.

But anyways I'd put Modern Warfare over any game in 2013 personally (partial to Mass Effect as well). MW was the last multiplayer game that literally ran since Counter-Strike.

1998 was my second choice imo.
    I don't know man, The Witcher 3 being amazing isn't much of an argument for elevating Witcher 1 like it's at a similar level. And if you want to talk about sequels MW was like the sixth COD. Amazing game though. That ghillie suit mission in Pripyat is probably my favorite SP mission ever in a FPS. But I thought Rock Band and Guitar Hero were horrible games back then. I haven't played through the Mass Effect series, so maybe that would change my mind. God of War II is one of my favorite beat em ups. I thought AC 1 was awful in every way: it was the same three missions over and over in every section of every city (yay let's go sit on a bench), the modern day animus sequences were badly written and boring, the game was ugly by 2007 standards. The fact that Ubisoft was able to deliver a legendary sequel doesn't make the first seem any better in retrospect to me.

Bioshock Infinite though had my favorite storyline I have ever played through. Finding out you're like the 30th Booker the physicist twins have sent to stop future Booker was pretty mindblowing playing through it. I fully expected something really wild after the Ryan/Atlas plot twist from the first and it was still every bit as surprising to me. Then GTA V is the exact game I was hoping we'd one day see back when I was playing linear side-scrollers on the NES as a kid. It felt like three amazing games in one: a top notch driving game (as opposed to GTA IV whose driving felt like ), an awesome 3rd person shooter campaign, and then maybe the greatest sandbox ever released. And then GTA V is unbelievable graphically on top of all that. I can't believe how amazing the game looked on the XBox 360. The first thing I did on that game was go hike up the mountains for the great views. To get that kind of draw distance when you had that much going on and doing it on a dying console like the 360 was pretty incredible.

I think 2004 deserves a spot on this list too. Half Life 2 and GTA San Andreas alone are enough. But then add Unreal Tournament 2004, NFL 2k5, Far Cry, Halo 2, MGS 3 Snake Eater. 1998 is definitely tough to beat too. I'd probably rank them

1. 2013
    2. 2007
    3. 1998
    4. 2004

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know me and BB are gonna disagree like Cats and Dogs on this one, as I think most of the games aside from BF 4 (multiplayer), Melee, and 3D World are hand-holding "modern generation" games with pretty shallow gameplay (doesn't mean they're not fun). Anyhow, from my "gameplay purist" perspective, I'm going with 1998.
    Ocarina of Time kind of felt like a "hand holding" game that you rail against though, with the Deku Tree and Navi telling you what to do. Fallout 2 though, that's right there with Skyrim for the best RPG I have ever played (although Fallout 2 is much truer to the genre). And then Half Life is probably the best FPS ever released for its time. That aged like Duncan, I had a blast playing it again a few months ago.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    I don't know man, The Witcher 3 being amazing isn't much of an argument for elevating Witcher 1 like it's at a similar level. And if you want to talk about sequels MW was like the sixth COD. Amazing game though. That ghillie suit mission in Pripyat is probably my favorite SP mission ever in a FPS. But I thought Rock Band and Guitar Hero were horrible games back then. I haven't played through the Mass Effect series, so maybe that would change my mind. God of War II is one of my favorite beat em ups. I thought AC 1 was awful in every way: it was the same three missions over and over in every section of every city (yay let's go sit on a bench), the modern day animus sequences were badly written and boring, the game was ugly by 2007 standards. The fact that Ubisoft was able to deliver a legendary sequel doesn't make the first seem any better in retrospect to me.

Bioshock Infinite though had my favorite storyline I have ever played through. Finding out you're like the 30th Booker the physicist twins have sent to stop future Booker was pretty mindblowing playing through it. I fully expected something really wild after the Ryan/Atlas plot twist from the first and it was still every bit as surprising to me. Then GTA V is the exact game I was hoping we'd one day see back when I was playing linear side-scrollers on the NES as a kid. It felt like three amazing games in one: a top notch driving game (as opposed to GTA IV whose driving felt like ), an awesome 3rd person shooter campaign, and then maybe the greatest sandbox ever released. And then GTA V is unbelievable graphically on top of all that. I can't believe how amazing the game looked on the XBox 360. The first thing I did on that game was go hike up the mountains for the great views. To get that kind of draw distance when you had that much going on and doing it on a dying console like the 360 was pretty incredible.

I think 2004 deserves a spot on this list too. Half Life 2 and GTA San Andreas alone are enough. But then add Unreal Tournament 2004, NFL 2k5, Far Cry, Halo 2, MGS 3 Snake Eater. 1998 is definitely tough to beat too. I'd probably rank them

1. 2013
    2. 2007
    3. 1998
    4. 2004
    I actually need to finish BioShock Infinite, I actually can't remember why I got side tracked. GTA V is obviously the best one, but really I expect the best francishes to get better over time. I probably enjoyed V as much as VC and SA.

You gotta play Mass Effect. The original will always be the greatest to me since they turned the sequels into rejected AAA les. God of War II was the best in the series, maybe top 3 PS2 game for me.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I actually need to finish BioShock Infinite, I actually can't remember why I got side tracked. GTA V is obviously the best one, but really I expect the best francishes to get better over time. I probably enjoyed V as much as VC and SA.

You gotta play Mass Effect. The original will always be the greatest to me since they turned the sequels into rejected AAA les. God of War II was the best in the series, maybe top 3 PS2 game for me.
    The God of War series is one of the main reasons I got a PS4. I loved the first two on PS2 but since I was of the XBox religion in the seventh generation I never played the third. Thankfully it got a 60 fps remaster on PS4. Man I really can't wait for the God of War they showed off at E3 this year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ocarina of Time kind of felt like a "hand holding" game that you rail against though, with the Deku Tree and Navi telling you what to do. Fallout 2 though, that's right there with Skyrim for the best RPG I have ever played (although Fallout 2 is much truer to the genre). And then Half Life is probably the best FPS ever released for its time. That aged like Duncan, I had a blast playing it again a few months ago.
    It was. And the late 90s/00s definitely started that trend toward the on-rails games we have today, but the gameplay was revolutionary for the time and still holds up perfectly today. Not to mention the art design and the overall sense of "adventure" you get. I actually first played it in '10 so no nostalgia speaking here. I thought the N64 was a pile of back in the day and never picked one up. Still is, from a tech standpoint, I suppose. Hated/still hate the N64 "fog" and of course going cartridge-only limited them drastically. No way could you get something like Metal Gear Solid on the system. However, Mario 64 did blow me away when I first saw it.

hope and change
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sorry brah...2007.
    Mass Effect
    Crysis
    Assassins Creed
    Portal
    The Witcher
    BioShock
    Uncharted
    Wow, the beginning of all of those series in one year, that's crazy
    Mass Effect 1 and Bioshock 1 alone are enough for my blue ribbon.

what uganda do about it? Joseph Kony's Avatar
    My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    Witcher 3 came out last year so that automatically makes it the best year for gaming tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Witcher 3 came out last year so that automatically makes it the best year for gaming tbh
    2015 was really strong:

The Witcher 3
    Dying Light
    Bloodborne
    Fallout 4
    MGS V Phantom Pain
    GTA V for PC

Not 2013 level but way better than 2014 or 2016.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Defintely 2007 imho. Perfect balance between great new IP's and established names in gaming.

MW1 alone changed the genre with its create a class system.

Besides an handful of les, 2013 is kinda meh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Defintely 2007 imho. Perfect balance between great new IP's and established names in gaming.

MW1 alone changed the genre with its create a class system.

Besides an handful of les, 2013 is kinda meh.
    Rainbow Six/Rogue Spear did this in 1998/99 (but yeah, if you were referring to CoD's perk and killstreak system, then I agree. Don't think that was ever in an FPS up until that point).

Why I highlighted Rainbow Six as an innovator. Basically invented the tactical FPS.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    class systems were in the quake 1 mod Team Fortress in 96. that mod was the .

Thread Information