Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We need some team at the bottom of the west to get hot and knock the Clips out the playoffs period

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If I hear Manu and $14mm one more time...
    Manu $14mm

So what...I'm waiting

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's fine. Just kidding.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Clippers in the first round would be nightmarish. This team needs to hope the Grizz end up at 7 or one of Denver/Portland manages to overtake the Clippers. An easy (or relatively easy with the Grizz) first round series to get into a playoff rhythm would do wonders for the Spurs imo.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Obviously terrible news for the Spurs, as there's a good chance they'll fall to 7th, although it's too soon to say with any certainty. Griffin is due back at the end of the month and they're currently up 4 in the loss column on that seed.

As usual, incredible luck for the Warriors, who will probably only have to face one elite team en route to the Finals. They'll also miss him in 3 regular season meetings, which will make it about 37 star or key players missing games against them already. Unbelievable.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the Spurs offseason target will be CP3... IDK. He's still awesome but fragile af.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Obviously terrible news for the Spurs, as there's a good chance they'll fall to 7th, although it's too soon to say with any certainty. Griffin is due back at the end of the month and they're currently up 4 in the loss column on that seed.

As usual, incredible luck for the Warriors, who will probably only have to face one elite team en route to the Finals. They'll also miss him in 3 regular season meetings, which will make it about 37 star or key players missing games against them already. Unbelievable.
    The Spurs can have that same "luck" as the Warriors if they work hard enough and take every game seriously to secure the top seed. That's something Pop should consider instead of always flying under the radar and then crashing before reaching higher al udes.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    Clippers in the first round would be nightmarish. This team needs to hope the Grizz end up at 7 or one of Denver/Portland manages to overtake the Clippers. An easy (or relatively easy with the Grizz) first round series to get into a playoff rhythm would do wonders for the Spurs imo.
    There is no way the Cripples are going to be a 41 win team when they will most likely have Blake by the end of this month along w/ Felton being a serviceable backup.

Let's just hope that WestBrick has blown his load & that OKC won't be better than a .500 team the rest of the way. A tried WestBrick in the first rd being matched up w/ Kawhi is checkmate especially in a revenge series.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count

Jazz/Grizz might not be an inferior opponent to the Duds considering the Cripples don't have any legit 2-way wing players & are a bunch of mental midget who display their inferiority complex in that matchup when things aren't going their way.

A HEALTHY Jazz team can take them to hard fought 6 games while the Grizz would lay some wood on them even if they get swept.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's fine. Just kidding.

In all seriousness, we could be a franchise with an actual awful contract. Parker and Pau are overpaid heading into next season but expiring and nothing to the effect of guys like Noah (unplayable and hurt) and that Turner/Crabbe combo the Blazers wasted all their cap space on (playable, but sure bet they wish they had a mulligan).

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs can have that same "luck" as the Warriors if they work hard enough and take every game seriously to secure the top seed. That's something Pop should consider instead of always flying under the radar and then crashing before reaching higher al udes.
    The Warriors work harder than the Spurs based on what? Hard work has nothing to do with having pristine health for extended stretches, your opponents regularly missing star or key players versus you, or winning a championship without having to face a single fellow elite team (Cavaliers didn't count because they were missing Irving after game 1, as well as Love and Varejao throughout).

Jazz/Grizz might not be an inferior opponent to the Duds considering the Cripples don't have any legit 2-way wing players & are a bunch of mental midget who display their inferiority complex in that matchup when things aren't going their way.

A HEALTHY Jazz team can take them to hard fought 6 games while the Grizz would lay some wood on them even if they get swept.
    They're clearly inferior to a healthy Clippers, who posses a combination of star power, experience and given their playoff history, motivation, that teams the caliber of the Jazz/Grizzlies can't match.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    They're clearly inferior to a healthy Clippers, who posses a combination of star power, experience and given their playoff history, motivation, that teams the caliber of the Jazz/Grizzlies can't match.
    It's about matchups, the Jazz matchup better b/c they have MULTIPLE 2-way wing players & Gobert/Favors/Lyles are very mobile. Draymond also can't guard Favors on the block while he can stand his ground against Blake.

When Hill has been in the line up their offense has also been pretty potent b/c Gobert has become a major PnR threat.

They also have the X-Factor in Boris:

Meanwhile, the Clippers can't get stops against the Duds b/c they sorely lack 2-way wing defenders which is why they have lost multiple games in that matchup even when their offense is rolling.
    Last edited by Kawhitstorm; 01-19-2017 at 02:41 AM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't forget that Houston is paying 13M for Eric Gordon.

But on ST...we can read other guys saying "but b-u-t where you would find a good guard like Parker or Manu for less than 13-14M"???
    Spurs paid Manu with house money since he was last to sign and because they had his bird rights.

It was Gasol or Gordon or a wing like Gordon. Spurs chose Gasol. They couldn't sign Gasol and a wing for around the same price as Gordon.. they couldn't afford even half of what Gordon is getting paid.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's about matchups, the Jazz matchup better b/c they have MULTIPLE 2-way wing players & Gobert/Favors/Lyles are very mobile. Draymond also can't guard Favors on the block while he can stand his ground against Blake.

When Hill has been in the line up their offense has also been pretty potent b/c Gobert has become a major PnR threat.

They also have the X-Factor in Boris:

Meanwhile, the Clippers can't get stops against the Duds b/c they sorely lack 2-way wing defenders which is why they have lost multiple games in that matchup even when their offense is rolling.
    That's original. Does "defense win championships" too?

All things being relatively equal, it's about match-ups; but first and foremost, it's about talent. The only way to beat a team like the Warriors in a series, is by also having multiple future Hall-of-Famers. The Jazz don't have a player in the same stratosphere as Paul or Griffin, nor do they have any collective playoff experience.

The Jazz might be able to give the Warriors a compe ive series, the way the Pistons did the Cavaliers last season (though that was aided, at least to start, by the Cavs coasting), but ultimately that series would end in 4 or 5. The Clippers, on the other hand, probably at least have it go 6 games before suc bing.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    All things being relatively equal, it's about match-ups; but first and foremost, it's about talent. The only way to beat a team like the Warriors in a series, is by also having multiple future Hall-of-Famers. The Jazz don't have a player in the same stratosphere as Paul or Griffin, nor do they have any collective playoff experience.
    Cripples are checkmated b/c they need to play their best wing defender 40 minutes but he's a MAJOR liability on offense. The Clippers also play halfcourt rather than feasting in transition like OKC so he's going to be exposed like Tony Allen rather than being hidden like Roberson (who was exposed when Dominos/Westbrick started playing ISO ball in Gm 6/7).

The Jazz are more like the Grizz who were up 2-1 on the Duds even w/ Conley/Allen not being a 100% & not having any wing scorers unlike the Jazz. (Z-Bo/Marc were also not as mobile as Gobert/Favors) In order for the Jazz to have a shot at winning the series, Favors would have to go beast mode (not necessarily put up similar numbers) like Z-Bo did against the Spurs in 2011 when the Grizz were in the playoff for the first time since the Pau era.

As far as the Pistons comparison, Reggie Jackson was cancerous in that series & his non-defense playing ass got destroyed by Kyrie. Drummond was also pretty underwhelming & they got nothing from their bench beside Stanley Johnson. If you want to make another Leastern Conference comparison, the Jazz are more like the All-Star Hibbert+West Pacers whose point guard was also Hill & had two talented wing players. (Jazz have more depth & a better coach)

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cripples are checkmated b/c they need to play their best wing defender 40 minutes but he's a MAJOR liability on offense. The Clippers also play halfcourt rather than feasting in transition like OKC so he's going to be exposed like Tony Allen rather than being hidden like Roberson (who was exposed when Dominos/Westbrick started playing ISO ball in Gm 6/7).

The Jazz are more like the Grizz who were up 2-1 on the Duds even w/ Conley/Allen not being a 100% & not having any wing scorers unlike the Jazz. (Z-Bo/Marc were also not as mobile as Gobert/Favors) In order for the Jazz to have a shot at winning the series, Favors would have to go beast mode (not necessarily put up similar numbers) like Z-Bo did against the Spurs in 2011 when the Grizz were in the playoff for the first time since the Pau era.

As far as the Pistons comparison, Reggie Jackson was cancerous in that series & his non-defense playing ass got destroyed by Kyrie. Drummond was also pretty underwhelming & they got nothing from their bench beside Stanley Johnson. If you want to make another Leastern Conference comparison, the Jazz are more like the All-Star Hibbert+West Pacers whose point guard was also Hill & had two talented wing players. (Jazz have more depth & a better coach)
    A post without a ?

All true, but you're underestimating the ability of elite player(s) to cover up weaknesses. The Thunder supposedly had far too many to beat the Spurs, let alone push the Warriors to the brink, yet they did just that because they had two elite players. Sure, there were other reasons, but they were the most important ones.

The Jazz always get compared to the Grizzlies and though there's no doubt various similarities, they're actually more well rounded. But the Grizzlies were a collectively experienced playoff team by '15 and the Warriors were neophytes in the role of championship contender, let alone favorites. Once they got over the stage fright, it was a wrap.

I'm not comparing the Jazz and Pistons, just their predicament against their respective conference's favorite.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    All true, but you're underestimating the ability of elite player(s) to cover up weaknesses. The Thunder supposedly had far too many to beat the Spurs, let alone push the Warriors to the brink, yet they did just that because they had two elite players. Sure, there were other reasons, but they were the most important ones.
    Besides Kanter abusing the Turd Towers, the Spurs lost b/c Waiters turned into 2012 James Harden in Gm 4/5 when Roberson was unplayable. It's not a coincidence that Waiters couldn't buy a shot in Gm 5-7 & Dominos/WestBrick reverted to ISO ball which led to their demise.

Had Waiters played in the regular season like he played in Gm 4/5 then OKC would have been a 65 win team instead of the 55 win team. Let's also not forget the Turd Towers were the PERFECT matchup for Kanter b/c they couldn't expose him on the other end.

Otherwise, WestBrick had a NEGATIVE net rating in that series & had a miserable shooting percentage when Kawhi was his primary defender. He looked like '93 Jordan in the first 4 games of the WCF after being freed from those shackles.

As far as the Cripples, it's been proven than Choke-P can't guard Curry & DeAndre looks like a fish out of water when he has to guard the high PnR. Not to mention Choke-P is going to have to expend a lot of injury guarding Curry & attacking switches against the best switching defense in the league.
    Last edited by Kawhitstorm; 01-19-2017 at 05:47 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Besides Kanter abusing the Turd Towers, the Spurs lost b/c Waiters turned into 2012 James Harden in Gm 4/5 when Roberson was unplayable. It's not a coincidence that Waiters couldn't buy a shot in Gm 5-7 & Dominos/WestBrick reverted to ISO ball which led to their demise.

Had Waiters played in the regular season, like he played in Gm 4/5 then OKC would have been a 65 win team instead of the 55 win team. Let's also not forget the Turd Towers were the PERFECT matchup for Kanter b/c they couldn't expose him on the other end.
    I knew you'd say this, but the reality is, it all would have been for naught if they didn't have two superstars. That is almost always the most important ingredient to being an elite team, beating an elite team(s) in a series or winning a championship.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    I knew you'd say this, but the reality is, it all would have been for naught if they didn't have two superstars. That is almost always the most important ingredient to being an elite team, beating an elite team(s) in a series or winning a championship.
    The Nuggets beat a 63 win Sonics team b/c they had a defensive monster in the middle who wasn't exactly a "superstar" similar to Gobert.

In any case, my ORIGINAL point was that the Cripples don't even have the requisite pieces to make it a series:

Are they going to put Rivers on Durant when Moute is shooting bricks? (That's been their solution so far:)

The issue w/ Waiters was his inconsistent production rather than talent but he turned into a dependable 2-way player in the postseason. If he didn't show up then OKC would have lost to the Spurs (he even hit a dagger shot in Gm 2).

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Nuggets beat a 63 win Sonics team b/c they had a defensive monster in the middle who wasn't exactly a "superstar" similar to Gobert.

In any case, my ORIGINAL point was that the Cripples don't even have the requisite pieces to make it a series:

Are they going to put Rivers on Durant when Moute is shooting bricks? (That's been their solution so far:)

The issue w/ Waiters was his inconsistent production rather than talent but he turned into a dependable 2-way player in the postseason. If he didn't show up then OKC would have lost to the Spurs (he even hit a dagger shot in Gm 2).
    The '94 Supersonics weren't the '17 Warriors and it was best of 5 in the 1st round back then.

I don't deny the Clippers issues in this matchup, but when you have two top ten players, the core four they do and the collective playoff experience and motivation (because of their playoff history) they do, you can give anyone a series, even with a mul ude of match-up issues.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

It is utterly insane how, outside last year's final, almost every break has gone this team's way since the start of 2014-2015 season..Those pricks' injury luck--both ways-- has been disgustingly good, and it in irks me...The Warriors top 6 players (KD/Curry/Durant/Dray/Thompson/Iggy/Livingston) have missed a combined TWO games this season due to minor ailments..That's it.. (KD/Curry, none)..

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It is utterly insane how, outside last year's final, almost every break has gone this team's way since the start of 2014-2015 season..Those pricks' injury luck--both ways-- has been disgustingly good, and it in irks me...The Warriors top 6 players (KD/Curry/Durant/Dray/Thompson/Iggy/Livingston) have missed a combined TWO games this season due to minor ailments..That's it.. (KD/Curry, none)..
    It reminds me of the pre '13 playoffs Thunder. It all evened out for them in the next 2 years.

The difference is, with the acquisition of Durant, even if it begins to even out for the Warriors, they could probably sustain an injury to one of their big 4 (with the possible exception of Green, considering their other bigs) and still at least make the Finals. Even 2 and they'd still have a legit chance, so long as they still had at least one of Curry or Durant.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Rockets are 3-6 in last 9 games..a cute regular season team as there has ever been..I would rather face them in second round over 'Det core' for that matter..

A hobbled Clippers would still scare the out of me in a series even more than the Cavs

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Crockets

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    The Rockets are 3-6 in last 9 games..a cute regular season team as there has ever been..I would rather face them in second round over 'Det core' for that matter..
    Unless Anderson/Gordon are BOTH going off, the Rockets aren't better than OKC.

Cripples have had a the 2nd easiest schedule in the league & their schedule until Choke-P3 comes back is brutal so they are most likely not moving up to the 3rd seed but the Jazz could leap frog both the Cripples/Rockets as they should be able to make a run in February once they get Hood back.
    Last edited by Kawhitstorm; 01-26-2017 at 02:13 AM.

Thread Information