Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Points scored by Mills in last 10 games: 13, 5, 11, 13, 3, 23, 2, 6, 6, 5

I am not paying big money for this type of wild inconsistency; Spurs can afford it with Green because he brings the D to the equation; otherwise Patty is virtually invisible and unplayable when the shot isn't there..

I assume if Brett Brown survives the season in Philly he will get an offer he wouldn't refuse...the Aussie connection with Ben Simmons/Brett should make it an obvious choice..
    He is moving the ball and playing defense you stupid . He is a scoring machine who can get you buckets in the playoffs. Tell me who in that second unit can do that?

Born Slippy
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Points scored by Mills in last 10 games: 13, 5, 11, 13, 3, 23, 2, 6, 6, 5

I am not paying big money for this type of wild inconsistency; Spurs can afford it with Green because he brings the D to the equation; otherwise Patty is virtually invisible and unplayable when the shot isn't there..

I assume if Brett Brown survives the season in Philly he will get an offer he wouldn't refuse...the Aussie connection with Ben Simmons/Brett should make it an obvious choice..
    As pop would say everybody defers on this team. That includes Patty at times. If the shots isnt there he moves the ball. An aspect of his game that he needed to improve on.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kings would take him in a heart beat.
    Kings are likely to make a trade by the deadline and might have the position filled. They've been rumored to have interest in Dragic, Knight and Rubio.

People always bring up the 76ers because of Brown, but they'll have at least one high pick in a draft that's PG heavy near the top, as well as a returning Bayless.

They are different players. I just know Spurs have a lower defensive ceiling as a 2nd unit if Spurs go with Murray defending SGs instead of PGs. I hope Spurs are fully aware how much of an edge Murray would bring if they optimize Murrays' rare physical attributes defending the PG position. His elite length and size would give the Spurs an edge on defense that not many teams have. You have to put him in the position where he can maximize his effectiveness on both ends ( not just offense).

He needs to be the back up PG on both ends next year imo. Allocating 10-15% of the cap to Mills would not only be overpaying for a shooter ( who's a defensive liability), but it will impede Murrays overall progression/effectivess to his overall floor game on both ends.

Im
    True, but there is no such thing as a perfect team. Backup backcourt defense has never been a prime reason for a team not winning a championship and will probably have no bearing on whether Mills is re-signed or not. Plus, on occasion, they can have them cross match.

If Mills is lost, what flexibility or assets will there be to replace that caliber of guard? They could hope Forbes becomes Daniels or sign a guy like Canaan (if Bulls decline team option) for the minimum, but this is a franchise still trying to contend. Lose Ginobili and Mills and replace them with that and they couldn't even pretend at that point.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kings are likely to make a trade by the deadline and might have the position filled. They've been rumored to have interest in Dragic, Knight and Rubio.

People always bring up the 76ers because of Brown, but they'll have at least one high pick in a draft that's PG heavy near the top, as well as a returning Bayless.

True, but there is no such thing as a perfect team. Backup backcourt defense has never been a prime reason for a team not winning a championship and will probably have no bearing on whether Mills is re-signed or not. Plus, on occasion, they can have them cross match.

If Mills is lost, what flexibility or assets will there be to replace that caliber of guard? They could hope Forbes becomes Daniels or sign a guy like Canaan (if Bulls decline team option) for the minimum, but this is a franchise still trying to contend. Lose Ginobili and Mills and replace them with that and they couldn't even pretend at that point.
    Back up backcourt defense has never been a prime reason for a team not winning a championship. You're right about that, but just like in any business, any edge helps -- especially an edge that's rare and hard to find. And with Murrays edge, Spurs will be able to optimally negate back up PGs effectiveness and who's to say that once Murray continues to grow ( could happen sooner than people think) that he can't be utilized in staggered linupes with the starters when TP is playing like ? Or to close games as soon as next year ( if he progresses)? A seasoned/ confident Murray, Green, Kawhi defensively on the perimeter to close games would be very scary IMO. This is of course if Murray continues to progress and improve towards his very high ceiling -- which may or may not happen. But if I were a betting man, I'd bet Murray fulfills expectations because the kid has the work ethic to reach incredible heights -- patience and persistence is the key.

Regarding Patty...

I don't think Spurs will lose much with Mills gone. He's a solid player for his role, and he's a damn easy guy to fall in love with because of his great personality, great work ethic, his shooting, ect. But he's an outlier that's a defensive liability and he's not part of the core at the end of the day. Without him, Spurs are still a top 4 team in the West, imo.

Next year, I prefer Spurs promote Murray to be the back up, while going after Korver, PJ Tucker, Hollis Thompson, all at a discount (Korver/Tuckers' age hurts their market value -- they shouldn't fetch anything north of 10 mil). I also think they need to draft the best wing possible in the upcoming draft. Simmons and Hanga are also options to explore. There's a lot of options. I just find it hard to justify paying Patty 13-15 mil per when you have a player w/ Murrays skill set/ceiling making 1 million per year the next 3 years -- a player who's already starving for a bigger opportunity. You want him playing the PG position, his value and overall effectiveness drops playing the SG next to Mills.
    Last edited by MaNu4Tres; 01-02-2017 at 07:58 PM.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I love Murray but he ain't close for the next 3 years in production or impact next to mills. Mills is the glue guy on this team, for team missing offense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I love Murray but he ain't close for the next 3 years in production or impact next to mills. Mills is the glue guy on this team, for team missing offense.
    They are very different players. The idea would be to replace Patty with someone that can also shoot while having Murray hopefully grow into a Corey Joseph type role (attacking PG/defensive PG)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mills is great, but how much would you pay to keep him? What's the limit you'd be okay with?

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People like to about the second best player impact wise. You just can't lose those guys for 3rd string bad/decent the next 3 years and expect other players to show up. You go from contenders to fringe playoff teams.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mills is great, but how much would you pay to keep him? What's the limit you'd be okay with?
    I'd pay him 14mil a year. Easy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They are very different players. The idea would be to replace Patty with someone that can also shoot while having Murray hopefully grow into a Corey Joseph type role (attacking PG/defensive PG)
    This.

Unfortunately, for the shooter role, Forbes hasn't shown he can be Patty light. Much less prime Mills. Of course, it took a few years for Patty to emerge too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the Spurs miss out on younger more versatile players, sure.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This.

Unfortunately, for the shooter role, Forbes hasn't shown he can be Patty light. Much less prime Mills. Of course, it took a few years for Patty to emerge too.
    Ya - Forbes hasn't shown too much unfortunately. But the Spurs seem good at finding the Gary Neal, Mills type players. So hopefully that continues.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't like to debate parker, but I'd replace Parker with Murray and keep Mills. Never happening but that's what I'd do.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That may be what it will cost to keep him. Danny got 10 a year before the cap exploded and everyone thought it was a great deal for the Spurs.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs without Mills are a fringe playoff team? My goodness.

Sound like the guys last summer saying Spurs wouldn't win or would barely win 50 games this year because they lost a lot of their bench.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't like to debate parker, but I'd replace Parker with Murray and keep Mills. Never happening but that's what I'd do.
    Well, that is just not very likely so I dont feel like it's worth putting time into. Plus again, Murray is no where near the PG TP is. Murray very well could be a better PG than Mills. That is the key.

Mills is not a PG and is a very different player than TP/Murray.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs without Mills are not a fringe playoff team. My goodness.

Sound like the guys last summer saying Spurs wouldn't win or would barely win 50 games this year because they lost a lot of their bench.
    Except I never said that got. So don't even imply I'm in that field. Sounds funny coming from the guy who said LMA was gonna be traded at deadline from some "sources". Go ahead. Double down.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Back up backcourt defense has never been a prime reason for a team not winning a championship. You're right about that, but just like in any business, any edge helps -- especially an edge that's rare and hard to find. And with Murrays edge, Spurs will be able to optimally negate back up PGs effectiveness and who's to say that once Murray continues to grow ( could happen sooner than people think) that he can't be utilized in staggered linupes with the starters when TP is playing like ?

I don't think Spurs will lose much with Mills gone. He's a solid player for his role, and he's a damn easy guy to fall in love with because of his great personality, great work ethic, his shooting, ect. But he's an outlier that's a defensive liability and he's not part of the core at the end of the day. Without him, Spurs are still a top 4 team in the West, imo.

Next year, I prefer Spurs promote Murray to be the back up, while going after Korver, PJ Tucker, Hollis Thompson, all at a discount (Korver/Tuckers' age hurts their market value -- they shouldn't fetch anything north of 10 mil). I also think they need to draft the best wing possible in the upcoming draft. Simmons and Hanga are also options to explore. There's a lot of options. I just find it hard to justify paying Patty 13-15 mil per when you have a player w/ Murrays skill set/ceiling making 1 million per year the next 3 years -- a player who's already starving for a bigger opportunity. You want him playing the PG position, his value and overall effectiveness drops playing the SG next to Mills.
    I'd have to know the exact replacement and remainder of the rotation before hazarding a guess as to whether they'd remain a top 4 team in the West.

I'd say Mills is part of the core. He's not only the 6th man, he's in a virtual platoon with Parker and occasionally operates as a co go-to crunch time guy.

There's no way of knowing whether he commands $13-15M and I'm pretty sure they won't have significant cap space even if he leaves.

Murray might be best off playing PG on both sides of the ball, but it's about what's best for the team and I don't think Mills is as easily replaceable as you do.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, that is just not very likely so I dont feel like it's worth putting time into. Plus again, Murray is no where near the PG TP is. Murray very well could be a better PG than Mills. That is the key.

Mills is not a PG and is a very different player than TP/Murray.
    TP and Murray are in the same mold. One has the experience/team knowledge but really ing old and the other is a rookie with his head in his ass, but shows flashes. I'd bet on the young kid to get better and tony to get worse.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    TP and Murray are in the same mold. One has the experience/team knowledge but really ing old and the other is a rookie with his head in his ass, but shows flashes. I'd bet on the young kid to get better and tony to get worse.
    Well ya, but TP is going to be here and while he's declining and Murray growing, TP is still the best PG.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well ya, but TP is going to be here and while he's declining and Murray growing, TP is still the best PG.
    Between TP and Murray, sure, but giving him starter minutes would expedite that.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Except I never said that got. So don't even imply I'm in that field. Sounds funny coming from the guy who said LMA was gonna be traded at deadline from some "sources". Go ahead. Double down.
    Cute try.

I never said LMA was going to be traded at the deadline. My source said LMA wasn't happy ( this was at the start of the season) and that he regretted his decision to not go to Phoenix around last trade deadline and this past summer. That is totally differnt than saying, " LMA is going to get traded, my sources told me that". Doesn't surprise me either because your comprehension can be on the same level as some 20 year old jerk offs on this site at times.
    Last edited by MaNu4Tres; 01-02-2017 at 08:18 PM.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cute try.

I never said LMA was going to be traded at the deadline. My source said LMA wasn't happy ( this was at the start of the season) and that he regretted his decision to not go to Phoenix around last trade deadline and this past summer. That is totally differnt than saying, " LMA is going to get traded, my sources told me that". Doesn't surprise me either because you're comprehension can be on the same level as some 20 year old jerk offs on this site at times.
    I'm not gonna go through 3 or more threads looking for clues. You were confident enough to bet me and someone else. That means you actually expected it to happen. Playing word games when your actions speak louder.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd have to know the exact replacement and remainder of the rotation before hazarding a guess as to whether they'd remain a top 4 team in the West.

I'd say Mills is part of the core. He's not only the 6th man, he's in a virtual platoon with Parker and occasionally operates as a co go-to crunch time guy.

There's no way of knowing whether he commands $13-15M and I'm pretty sure they won't have significant cap space even if he leaves.

Murray might be best off playing PG on both sides of the ball, but it's about what's best for the team and I don't think Mills is as easily replaceable as you do.
    I can understand that, but I just don't agree on the decision to re-sign him because of the reasons I've already mentioned.

Chalk it up to agree to disagree.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not gonna go through 3 or more threads looking for clues. You were confident enough to bet me and someone else. That means you actually expected it to happen. Playing word games when your actions speak louder.
    It's not word games, its what I said. Feel free to go back and look. I'm not wrong on this. I know what was said to me and I know what I said.

Thread Information