Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We ring and he's gone

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Please no. He's done his job. Time to go.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    would swap out his contract with tony's.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Despite his inconsistency, Manu at nearly 40 years old is still an above-average bench guy and finds ways to have a positive impact on games. Can be frustrating at times when he has those games where he looks done, but damn do games like last night make you happy he's still around.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Despite his inconsistency, Manu at nearly 40 years old is still an above-average bench guy and finds ways to have a positive impact on games. Can be frustrating at times when he has those games where he looks done, but damn do games like last night make you happy he's still around.

Not bad for a 40 year old!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why would Manu return in a Bonner role? He is Manu...
    Not sure what's your point. I agree I don't think he would return.

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    Why would Manu return in a Bonner role? He is Manu...
    Impossible. They have Bertans for that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not sure what's your point. I agree I don't think he would return.
    Check Hoops Czar´s answer, Manu is a playmaker and a game changer, look how they played tonight without him, he is not a spot shooter.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I approve of this thread

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Another 14 mil and I'd bet he'd come back. I mean it's better than playing the game he loves for free at the local Y (or whatever is the equivalent in Argentina). Thing is it looks like Spurs can't offer him that again, and his caphold might interfere with their plans. Will he return for 3-5 mill? Less likely.

I'd like to see him back or, barring that, retire. But I could see Philly or somewhere similar with a hankering for Spurs culture offering him a similar 15+ million to be a mentor. I wouldn't blame him, but would hate to see it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Manu instead of Forbes could have probably changed the result against OKC, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I approve of this thread
    I was told he was holding back Simmons and co.

IT is such depressing state of affairs that this Spurs season will likely hinge on whether Parker/Manu still have few good games in them when it matters ..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Unfortunately we may be finding out that only Simmons was holding Simmons back. ^ He may be at his ceiling. There is no way to know those things unless the guy gets an opportunity and he has, still does and well he's Simmons, not a HoF player.

The only thing with manu is that at 40, he needs to be rested for games and is on minutes restrictions. Spurs need a backcourt player for night and night out, every game, every time. Manu is not that guy bc of age, rest and the Alzheimer games, Tony is not that guy bc age/mileage/injury prone at this stage... Danny is there night in and night out, but he's limited offensively and we know that.

Simmons is not that guy. Some were (still are?) hopeful he was that guy and I can't blame them for rooting for a young guy... one just doesn't know until Pop tries what is there to find out.

My worry really is that the Spurs have paid a lot for their frontcourt/bigs and they are in need of going after a FA to help at the guards spots. Hopefully they can do something.

It seemed like just retaining Mills and Simmons was going to be uphill based on a few discussions here so I guess it doesn't look good. If the plan is standing pat with Mills and Simmons, I do want Manu back bc those two need them, but in reality I want a younger guy who can give the Spurs play nightly and doesn't need rest or Alzheimer games TBH. Simmons is not that guy, which is why I would not reup him.

.. Edit: he still has time TBH. Playoffs is where it counts and the season is not over.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Check Hoops Czar´s answer, Manu is a playmaker and a game changer, look how they played tonight without him, he is not a spot shooter.
    My apologies, by Matt Bonner role I meant stay on the bench and let the young guys play..

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My worry really is that the Spurs have paid a lot for their frontcourt/bigs and they are in need of going after a FA to help at the guards spots. Hopefully they can do something. .
    The thing that everyone seems to forget is that this team went big when everyone is going small, but the bigs aren't playing big. It's easy to take shots at Tony and Manu but Lma and pau are the real disappointments.
    Teams don't fear our bigs, on the contrary they put small guys on them and let them shoot. Rc was lucky to grab Lee who has covered up their softness on o at least. Kawhi has stepped up, drawing more fta and doing more playmaking, but Lma regressing to a defensive role player and paus inconsistency have been bigger disappointments than Tony and Manu aging which everyone knew was going to happen anyway.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think we all wanted him back but not for the money he has
    I was relatively okay with the money. He sacrificed a lot of money over the years; it's good to see him get a pay day.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At this point, we almost need Manu to come back next year, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ok

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    not one of your best threads OP

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Two more years please!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    as soon as ginobli got in the game tonight he turned the ball over. Then he turned it over again. Then he was about to turn it over but was bailed out by a foul call. I want him to retire. He has nothing left to prove. He can't hit freethrows late in the game anymore and he has trouble making simple passes throughout the game.

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trump will take care of this

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    as soon as ginobli got in the game tonight he turned the ball over. Then he turned it over again. Then he was about to turn it over but was bailed out by a foul call. I want him to retire. He has nothing left to prove. He can't hit freethrows late in the game anymore and he has trouble making simple passes throughout the game.
    Truth is he doesn't want to make "simple passes" - never did. Sometimes the results are great - even a couple of times tonight. But increasingly the results are not good.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs need a young healthy guy with star potential. That guy may be Dijon or is not in the team. So long as Pop had Manu and Tony they weren't going to prioritize getting said young guy, whether through trade or FA. This offseason just doesn't look good unless the Spurs trade Lamarcus or someone else.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs need a young healthy guy with star potential. That guy may be Dijon or is not in the team. So long as Pop had Manu and Tony they weren't going to prioritize getting said young guy, whether through trade or FA. This offseason just doesn't look good unless the Spurs trade Lamarcus or someone else.
    I believe the Spurs will rely primarily on the development of individual players already under contract for the team's improvement (?) next season. I expect a minimal number of new faces - UNLESS, as you say, they move some decent-sized contracts. I believe that the Spurs will not trade LMA, as much I would like to see that happen. But with his sub-par performance this year and flare-up of heart arrhythmia, I am not sure he has a great deal of value. OTOH, due to his declining health, as well as declining play when he is on the court, I would no longer be surprised to see the Spurs move Tony.

Thread Information