Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Reviewers also called GTA IV the greatest game ever made, and that was dog from the driving to the graphics to the incredibly repe ive missions. I don't see what people were seeing in Zelda when Nintendo started showing it off. The cel shaded graphics look like to me, like a constraint imposed by how weak the Wii-U hardware was when this started being demoed. I used to love the Zelda games when Nintendo was on the cutting edge of console graphics back in the NES, SNES, and N64 days. I loved the series so much I bought a Wii specifically for Twilight Princess after all the reviews were gushing over it. Eight years later I'm still only about 3 hours into the game. It's so boring and so ugly it felt like a chore playing it even back in 09 when I bought it. I might get a Switch if Mario Odyssey turns out amazing but I'm sitting out Zelda. Cel shading is so ugly, I can't get into the Borderlands or Dead Walking games either because of it. The only cel shaded game I have ever liked was Okami, where the cel shading really made sense since the game was supposed to take place on a canvas painted with watercolors.
    The reviwers are nintendo revierws. Microsoft and Sony tend to have "diverse" reviwers that play different consoles.

Every nintendo exclusive I know is highly regarded for that reason...

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Zelda has always been good with gameplay, thats nothing new. But its story has always been childish and lame. Notice how no reviews ever talks about it. I've grown out of games with japanese narrative. Its pretty dull frankly.

Still, i dont see anyone buying the switch.

Would rather xbox gets its together and start releasing good games because nintendo will never be able to compete with sony and microsoft anymore as far as console goes
    Nintendo competed fine until Wii. Every console before that was pretty powerful for the generation. Ever since Wii they've just been pushing gimmicks on the home console market. I hope the Switch fails hard so they realize home and portable are two completely different markets. I would never want to play graphically intense games like Elder Scrolls or GTA on a small handheld where it's going to be tough to see what you're doing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was thinking of buying an old wii u for 120 dollars on craiglist to play the u version, but i havent seen a review based on the u.

Man, cant pc bros break this one? Its graphically and power wise a ps3 game?

Witcher 3 developers giving HZD a high 5. tweete just saying they love playing the game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also got to remeber Zelda is like a 35 year old IP

HZD is a new IP from a developer that developed FPS games

Board Man Comes Home Clipper Nation's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    Zelda has always been good with gameplay, thats nothing new. But its story has always been childish and lame.
    Horizon's story is literally a Tumblr SJW fanfic.

Would rather xbox gets its together and start releasing good games because nintendo will never be able to compete with sony and microsoft anymore as far as console goes
    Microsoft is too busy cancelling what little exclusives they have. Judging from the rumors, Microsoft's gaming division is run by delusional pricks who are obsessed with "killing" Sony and Nintendo's successful IPs instead of coming up with original ideas of their own. As long as the work environment at their studios remains toxic and Microsoft keeps trying to force the PC and Xbox audiences together, they will always be an also-ran. Even Nintendo is better off than they are.

My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    I was thinking of buying an old wii u for 120 dollars on craiglist to play the u version, but i havent seen a review based on the u.

The Wii U version leaked out days ago. I'm sure people will get it running on CEMU with better textures/FPS eventually.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    HZD setting and storyline is nothing short of magnificent, tbh.

One of the very games out there that can bring out emotion. That's rare to do in a video game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Microsoft will bounce back, at least I'm hoping they do.

I can't imagine sony being this good in the last three years of not for the tough compe ion 360 offered in the last generation.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It'll probably happen within 3-4 years. The Wii-U emulator CEMU is actually capable of playing a lot of games right now. Like I can play Super Mario 3D World at ing native 4k using CEMU on my PC. But you have to find somewhere to download a texture cache for the game. Otherwise you get a ton of nasty stutters the first time you play through a new section of the game while the texture cache is being built up. Any time after that the gameplay is really smooth.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    HZD setting and storyline is nothing short of magnificent, tbh.

One of the very games out there that can bring out emotion. That's rare to do in a video game.
    Maybe when you're used to playing nothing but Ratchet and Pokemon. Game developers have been writing complex characters and adult storylines for decades now. Not that Horizon doesn't apply, I hope it's as good as advertised.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe when you're used to playing nothing but Ratchet and Pokemon. Game developers have been writing complex characters and adult storylines for decades now. Not that Horizon doesn't apply, I hope it's as good as advertised.
    Nah.

I play a lot of mature games.

I wasnt even as connected to nathan drake as I am with Aloy...

My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    Microsoft will bounce back, at least I'm hoping they do.

I can't imagine sony being this good in the last three years of not for the tough compe ion 360 offered in the last generation.
    Microsoft is done. Nobody cares about Halo or Gears anymore. They lost most of the Xbox audience to Sony at E3 2013. The 360 was a fluke - and even then, they couldn't beat the Wii or stop the PS3 from catching up to them by the end of the generation. They still have no Japanese support at a time when Japan has started making better games than the West again. Unless the Scorpio turns out to be an unlikely success, don't be surprised if Microsoft leaves the console business altogether and moves the Xbox brand to PC.

Like it or not, Nintendo is the only company that can beat Sony. They have an insane amount of money stockpiled up. Their mobile games alone are like a license to print money without even getting into their regular gaming business. That's what idiots don't realize when they predict doom for Nintendo every time their stock price fluctuates. All Nintendo needs to do is pull their heads out of their asses and realize that North American and European gamers want different things from their consoles than the Japanese do. If you want Sony to have compe ion again, you need to hope that Nintendo gets their together. The old farts like Miyamoto, Reggie, and Kimishima probably need to retire for that to happen, though.
    Last edited by Clipper Nation; 03-02-2017 at 05:02 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Microsoft is done. Nobody cares about Halo or Gears anymore. They lost most of the Xbox audience to Sony at E3 2013. The 360 was a fluke - and even then, they couldn't beat the Wii or stop the PS3 from catching up to them by the end of the generation. They still have no Japanese support at a time when Japan has started making better games than the West again. Unless the Scorpio turns out to be an unlikely success, don't be surprised if Microsoft leaves the console business altogether and moves the Xbox brand to PC.

Like it or not, Nintendo is the only company that can beat Sony. They have an insane amount of money stockpiled up. Their mobile games alone are like a license to print money without even getting into their regular gaming business. That's what idiots don't realize when they predict doom for Nintendo every time their stock price fluctuates. All Nintendo needs to do is pull their heads out of their asses and realize that North American and European gamers want different things from their consoles than the Japanese do. If you want Sony to have compe ion again, you need to hope that Nintendo gets their together. The old farts like Miyamoto, Reggie, and Kimishima probably need to retire for that to happen, though.
    No way. Nintendo has not realeased any "mature" content for years now and third party developers hate working with them. The Switch is expected to fail, again.

At some point, Zelda and mario will run its course.

Microsoft is the only other company besides sony with massive support from third party games and indie games.

Didnt microsoft fired that dude that was head of gaming when the xbox one was announced?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In any case, the PS1 was created because of Nintendo...Sony has been the number 1 driving force in the console gaming industry since PS1...but good compe ion was always around..except for Dreamcast..

If you look at all failed consoles (dreamcast, the wii u etc) they all fail because of lack of developers support. Nintendo apparently is terrible with developers.

A compe ve Microsoft is always good for gaming.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nah.

I play a lot of mature games.

I wasnt even as connected to nathan drake as I am with Aloy...
    Okay, Uncharted is rated teen and meant to be pretty light-hearted.

My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    No way. Nintendo has not realeased any "mature" content for years now and third party developers hate working with them. The Switch is expected to fail, again.

At some point, Zelda and mario will run its course.

Microsoft is the only other company besides sony with massive support from third party games and indie games.

Didnt microsoft fired that dude that was head of gaming when the xbox one was announced?
    No doubt, Nintendo treated third parties like crap for a long time. They've been working to rebuild their relationships with third parties over the past couple generations, though. For instance, From Software went from bashing Nintendo to the press during the run-up to the GameCube's launch to being one of the first third parties to sign on for the Switch.

Nintendo's main problem now is not building a console that's powerful enough to run the top third-party les. Hopefully when the Switch flops, that will be a wake-up call that they need to build a real console instead of a gimmick.

It's much easier to imagine Nintendo getting third-party multiplats again than Microsoft getting a quality lineup of exclusives again. , Play Anywhere makes the latter scenario impossible.

My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    In any case, the PS1 was created because of Nintendo..
    Nintendo is only half to blame for the PSX. Sega turned Sony down too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    IMO, the mobile market is eating Nintento alive, and will continue to do so. The console is uber-underpowered compared to the compe ion (and at $300 kinda overpriced) and over-powered compared to cellphones (for now). But cellphones are ubiquitous, games for them cost $1 or less. The whole portable thing went in another direction, and trying to recreate the GameBoy again is a losing fight.

I think they still have the 'toy' mentality, where they don't want to sell expensive hardware, and they want to try to cater to younger audiences, but look, the ugly truth is that the average gamer is 30+ years old, and there's more gamers over 36 than there are under 36. Most of the young kids play on their cellphones, which they already use to make calls, use social media, etc. They're not buying a Switch just because.

It'd be a shame if they go under too, we already pretty much lost Sega, tbh, and the days of Microsoft throwing stupid money around have been pretty much over since Ballmer left. Microsoft at least has Windows, they could try to screw Steam (or buy them up), but basically their next console or two have to be significantly better, or they gotta pull the plug.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    IMO, the mobile market is eating Nintento alive, and will continue to do so. The console is uber-underpowered compared to the compe ion (and at $300 kinda overpriced) and over-powered compared to cellphones (for now). But cellphones are ubiquitous, games for them cost $1 or less. The whole portable thing went in another direction, and trying to recreate the GameBoy again is a losing fight.

I think they still have the 'toy' mentality, where they don't want to sell expensive hardware, and they want to try to cater to younger audiences, but look, the ugly truth is that the average gamer is 30+ years old, and there's more gamers over 36 than there are under 36. Most of the young kids play on their cellphones, which they already use to make calls, use social media, etc. They're not buying a Switch just because.

It'd be a shame if they go under too, we already pretty much lost Sega, tbh, and the days of Microsoft throwing stupid money around have been pretty much over since Ballmer left. Microsoft at least has Windows, they could try to screw Steam (or buy them up), but basically their next console or two have to be significantly better, or they gotta pull the plug.
    The mobile market is probably going to take everyone down eventually. Kids are growing up with the expectation that games are supposed to be "free" and that you have to pay to win. That's such a great business model. Then I can't believe how much money King makes selling middle aged ladies lollipop hammers and . Look at how everyone scoffed Super Mario Run because who pays $10 for a mobile game?

On one hand I hope some of these new ideas fail spectacularly, like I want Switch to be a flop because I miss the Nintendo that was on the cutting edge of hardware back in the SNES days when you had ridiculously good third party games. And I 100% want Microsoft's XBox Game Pass to be a flop since I hate the idea of rentals taking over the market. But like you said, can either company survive that happening? I don't get why Microsoft didn't just abandon XBox One (it's not like anyone bought that crap) and make Scorpio with a good cpu that could offer 60 fps gaming. That would be a huge selling point over PoorStation and is achievable with a $60 Pentium G4560. Since you're an emulation expert, would it be hard to emulate a 1.6 GHz Jaguar cpu with what's basically a 3.5 GHz Skylake i3 with much better IPC for providing backwards compatibility with XBone?
    Last edited by baseline bum; 03-03-2017 at 07:55 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Like I said is Cry Havoc's thread, I don't really see a market for mobile game consoles anymore with the emergence of smart phones/tablets. Unless someone is just that hard up to play the next Zelda or Mario le, I don't see the point.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Disagree about mobile gaming being a great business model. Mobile gaming is extremely predatory. The total revenue of mobile gaming stems from the fact that they have a crazy amount of games, most of which are garbage making a puny 1 dollar or something, relying solely on quan y is not good for the average developer.

Games are cheaper than ever but many consumers can't see that. Mobile gaming is so cancerous for gamers like us because not only does it affect us real gamers, but it screws up the price expectations.

Console gaming will be alive, but it failed misrebly at tyring to appeal at Grandmas and kid non gamers. The reality is that, console gaming is always going to be a niche.

I just wish monile gaming dies out already. It already has poisoned steam.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Funny when i see articles saying 155 million of americans play games.

This is why i hope for Gamestop demise. I want the developers to have the option to sell their games at a cheaper digital price...but they cant becauase of all the retailers.

ing Gamestop hiding brand new copies.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just reached the first big city. As always its beautiful, but the robots here are stupid hard. I'm at level 20 and supposodly the recomnded level is 15, but these thunderjaws and the flying robots are so ing annoying. Die all the time.

I have to change my appraoch beacuse Ive been using stealth all the time, but now against these behemoth the damage dealt is puny.

Playing on hard mode too..Die 10 times on my way to meridian trying to bwat thunderjaw...Finally gave up and just went to the city.

what uganda do about it? Joseph Kony's Avatar
    My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    get good

what uganda do about it? Joseph Kony's Avatar
    My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    this game is damn good though. not ready to put it in Witcher territory yet, but it's the best PS exclusive since LoU easily

Thread Information