Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The elephant in the room for the Spurs salary/talent-wise is that they have largely struck out on draft picks for several years. There best pick had to be used to get Kawhi. Their next best pick, Cojo, was lost without compensation. There have otherwise been a parade of Mahinmi, LJC, Anderson, Multinovs. Hopefully Murray stops that trend.
    Agree that our recent draft history has been suspect, though Milutinov seems like a solid big prospect, unless you 've been keeping up with him, which I haven't been. I assume that you're referring to Kyle and not James Anderson that pick didn't pan out (granted he did have Jones fracture).

Really from 2007-2017 The only picks that have panned out for the Spurs have been Splitter, Hill, Leonard, Cojo, and Murray (so far, so good), with Milutinov not yet a Spur.

Spurs have drafted 22 players (including Leonard) during that span.

The 6th is coming... will_spurs's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dijon strikes me as a better player now than Tony was when he became the Spurs' starting PG.
    I'm all for Dejounte getting more minutes as soon as possible, but there's been so much Tony bashing that it must have made you forget...

Tony took over the starting position on his 5th NBA game. Those are his 6th and 7th NBA games. Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Back then Tony was possibly the fastest thing you had ever seen.

6 6 2001-11-08 19-175 SAS @ CHH W (+10) 1 38:00 8 16 .500 4 7 .571 2 2 1.000 0 4 4 5 0 0 0 1 22 18.3 +9
    7 7 2001-11-10 19-177 SAS ATL W (+22) 1 38:00 8 14 .571 3 7 .429 0 0 0 4 4 8 2 0 1 5 19 18.2 +21

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm all for Dejounte getting more minutes as soon as possible, but there's been so much Tony bashing that it must have made you forget...

Tony took over the starting position on his 5th NBA game. Those are his 6th and 7th NBA games. Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Back then Tony was possibly the fastest thing you had ever seen.

6 6 2001-11-08 19-175 SAS @ CHH W (+10) 1 38:00 8 16 .500 4 7 .571 2 2 1.000 0 4 4 5 0 0 0 1 22 18.3 +9
    7 7 2001-11-10 19-177 SAS ATL W (+22) 1 38:00 8 14 .571 3 7 .429 0 0 0 4 4 8 2 0 1 5 19 18.2 +21
    You are right. Tony was the fastest thing I had ever seen on a basketball court. But beyond going to the bucket in a blurr, his only other real offensive move was to to pass the ball to Tim in the post and get out of the way. It was great that he was the best player in the league at getting to the basket, because he had virtually no jump shot until a few seasons later. The Spurs would have never won in 2002-03 without Speedy Claxton bailing out Tony in virtually every game. Even after 03, the Spurs and JKidd had a verbal deal for him to come to San Antonio to mentor Tony. Tony went through many growing pains those first few years, and the Spurs still competed and won. With our backcourt the way it is now, Dijon is as capable now as Tony was then. Tony should mentor Dijon and be his Speedy Claxton, if necessary.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So the real question:

How do the Spurs keep Dedmon, Simmons, and Patty assuming Pau opts-in?
    Last edited by CGD; 01-22-2017 at 10:27 AM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't disagree with most of what you said. I also think that that lineup would be pretty damned good, far better than PATFO could've expected after losing Duncan and ,possibly, Manu. It's a win now move, GSW may be worse next season if Iggy and Livingston are poached on short term high $ deals. Murray's play of late has made me start to reconsider my belief that he needs another year before he can be a top 10 rotation player. Signing Hill would block Murray from being able to consistently getting minutes, you're right. Unless The Spurs think Parker's going to retire in the next year or two, then this somewhat unlikely to happen.

I would hope he does, but his playmaking is still valuable. He can still be an effective player and the bench won't be the same without him but if it' not for the room exception or vet min, i'm not all that interested in him.

Agreed. $16.1 is a lot of money to turn down for a player entering his age 37 season, unless he agrees to a two year deal with less money per and more money over two years with the Spurs or another team (i.e 2 years, $22-24 million)

Sure, I could see him returning too but Bertans appears ready to be a rotation player. I really like Lee's fit with the team but if Dedmon and Gasol are both back and Bertans is ready to contribute as a rotation player then that's a pretty crowded front court.

We seem to be thinking about the level of money ($8 Million per ) but over different years. I was thinking a 4 year deal with, maybe, a player opt out after 3, where he can potentially sign another deal at 30 years old. I think he still has room for growth as a player and could and should see an increased role next season ,hopefully, with the Spurs.

Again, same area code in terms of money. I could see a team going as high as 4/$52M but it would a Phily-like team (or Philly). I am high on Mills and he along with Leonard and Green have been the biggest reasons why the Spurs lead the league in 3pt shooting (though their attempts are still well below league average, despite jumping 20% from last season)

Hard for me to gauge his worth, that sounds about right though. I sort of like him, though I wish he was more of a 3pt threat but I wouldn't be broken up if he left, so long as Mills and Dedmon were back. Anderson is a frustrating player, who desperately needs to be able to knock down corner 3's but that probably isn't going to be a consistent part of his game, I also think he's playing out of position, he's a PF in my book, with skills of a perimeter player but he also needs the ball to be effective as an offensive player and I don't think that's ever going to happen in S.A.
    I agree with most of this . . .

- Lee's return is just not practical. He'll rightfully want a significant raise after being underpaid, Bertans is ready to be a rotation player and they could desperately use his high percentage/volume three-point shooting, which has been missing from the big rotation for the past 4 seasons. Even if they lose Dedmon, they'll need someone of his ilk to pair with Bertans.

- I could definitely see a player option for a 4th year with Dedmon and Mills foregoing more elsewhere and accepting $11M per from the Spurs.

- Anderson's lack of shooting would be less of a concern playing next to a stretch four and playing a slightly more ball dominant role. A Mills-Murray-Anderson-Bertans-Dedmon second unit would provide just that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So the real question:

How do the Spurs keep Dedmon, Simmons, and Patty assuming Pau opts-in?
    they probably won't be able to keep Patty along with Simmons and Dedmon. I think that another team is going to give Patty a contractoffer that he can't refuse.

Thread Information