Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    a surprised there isn't a thread on this already.

Now that the need is obvious, who should the Spurs bring in for that final spot? Unless there's a vet available, I'd go with Cory Jefferson. Dude's a former Spurs draft pick who's been solid in Austin so far. Dude's apparently averaging 16 and 8 on 50-percent shooting in 28mpg

http://basketball.realgm.com/player/.../4149#D-League

He's undersized and isn't a very strong defender by the looks of it, but he seems a solid 10-day guy.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Spurs will hold off on any guaranteed contract til the buy out period.

I also don't think Spurs should feel rushed to fill the spot, just increase minutes to Dedmon, Lee and Bertans and they'll be fine.

Cory Jefferson has intrigued me for a good while now. If the Spurs don't like any of the buy outs or whiff on them, then I hope Spurs offer Cory a cheap/ non guaranteed 2-3 year deal.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Spurs will hold off on any guaranteed contract til the buy out period.

I also don't think Spurs should feel rushed to fill the spot, just increase minutes to Dedmon, Lee and Bertans and they'll be fine.

Cory Jefferson has intrigued me for a good while now. If the Spurs don't like any of the buy outs or whiff on them, then I hope Spurs offer Cory a cheap/ non guaranteed 2-3 year deal.
    My thing is that the Spurs only have five bigs healthy right now, and I have to squint to see five by considering Anderson and Bertans full bigs and not combo guys. If one of the remaining guys gets hurt or in deep foul trouble, you need a minutes sponge, especially if the missing player is Dedmon or LMA.

If I were PATFO, I'd feel much more comfortable with at least a big body on the bench until I knew how Pau was going to progress. Can't afford to be caught flat-footing when you have an open spot already.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My thing is that the Spurs only have five bigs healthy right now, and I have to squint to see five by considering Anderson and Bertans full bigs and not combo guys. If one of the remaining guys gets hurt or in deep foul trouble, you need a minutes sponge, especially if the missing player is Dedmon or LMA.

If I were PATFO, I'd feel much more comfortable with at least a big body on the bench until I knew how Pau was going to progress. Can't afford to be caught flat-footing when you have an open spot already.
    I can see your point, but I just don't see the need right now to fill out the spot. As I said just up the minutes to Dedmon, Lee and Bertans. If one of the three goes down with an injury then I think they make a move. But right now, I don't see the need.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nice ploy by Anderson so him and Davis could get more burn. There's that vaunted BBIQ .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Does it matter

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes.

Shhhh... I'll be gentle. TheDoctor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With Gasoft out, the Spurs are in need of a big body desperately. You don't want DLee and Bertans playing heavy minutes. DLee got some do ented durability problems and Bertans can't trash his knees.

That being said, CoJe could be an interesting option to help the other guys to get some rest. He's undersized for the Center position at 6'9" (tho expect Pop to play him at the 5 a la DWorst), but he can eat some PF minutes. LMA now needs to stop ing about playing Center.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Small bump. Chinook gets some dap for owning mid in the other threads.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can see your point, but I just don't see the need right now to fill out the spot. As I said just up the minutes to Dedmon, Lee and Bertans. If one of the three goes down with an injury then I think they make a move. But right now, I don't see the need.
    Agreed. It'll just be a rotation of those 4 guys (LMA, Dedmon, Lee, and Bertans) I don't see them rushing anything either. They have rolled with 14 guys before

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agreed. It'll just be a rotation of those 4 guys (LMA, Dedmon, Lee, and Bertans) I don't see them rushing anything either. They have rolled with 14 guys before
    Counting out Pau, it's 13. And I don't consider a 10-day rushing anything. It's not like they're trading Mills and Anderson for Noel or something like that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With Gasoft out, the Spurs are in need of a big body desperately. You don't want DLee and Bertans playing heavy minutes. DLee got some do ented durability problems and Bertans can't trash his knees.

That being said, CoJe could be an interesting option to help the other guys to get some rest. He's undersized for the Center position at 6'9" (tho expect Pop to play him at the 5 a la DWorst), but he can eat some PF minutes. LMA now needs to stop ing about playing Center.
    Why does this keep getting mentioned? When has he ever actually ed about it, or even said a word about it? There was wind of him not being comfortable with playing the position, but that was during his free agency and never an actual sound bite or quote

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Dude seems like a beast.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jefferson is about the same size as JaMychal Green, both are listed at 6' 9" shoes on DX. But his wingspan is not quite as large Green's, only 7' 0.5" vs 7' 2.25".
    He also shoots almost 40% from 3 on 2 attempts per game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wouldn't sign a big just for the of it. I would try with a wing (which is our biggest need when everybody is healthy) and see if he can stick around 'till the end and maybe contribute in the playoffs.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would like CoJe on a couple of 10 day contracts for some short term relief. If we wanted something more permanent I'd like to approach Chicago and see what the price for Portis would be. A small deal like KA plus future considerations (maybe a couple international prospect and a 2nd or a future 1st)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I really like Portis, so I'd consider trading for him. And Valentine and Anderson on the team team would be fascinating.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nice ploy by Anderson so him and Davis could get more burn. There's that vaunted BBIQ .
    this...smart guy

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was wondering last night if they would pick up a big body, just to have some insurance with Pau being down for a while. That and just to have a fill-in to give other guys a breather. I thought maybe something low-impact like Keith Benson on a 10-day. (They are able to offer 10-days to D-Leaguers now, aren't they?) Cory Jefferson has been having one of a year in Austin. But he's 6'9", at best. And I have a feeling that his great year might not survive the transition to the NBA.

Other than those two, I don't see much that wouldn't involve giving up assets. That sort of smacks of desperation, so unless the Spurs somehow find another team making an uncommonly good deal, it's hard to imagine them doing that. But I also know how ridiculous it is to try and predict what the FO might do most of the time.

There's a kid named Christian Wood that I would love to see get a shot. He's a good kid, and he's tall, but he's not ready to go this season. I do wish he was in the Spurs system instead of LJC. And he's a guy like Simmons that you just really want to see make good.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Isn't Christian Wood that guy from UNLV that got kicked off the team or something? I remember being shocked that he went from lottery pick to undrafted, just like both Holmeses a couple of seasons ago.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Isn't Christian Wood that guy from UNLV that got kicked off the team or something? I remember being shocked that he went from lottery pick to undrafted, just like both Holmeses a couple of seasons ago.

I don't think he got kicked off any team. I'm not aware of anything like that. He said that he would come back for his junior year, and then changed his mind and declared for the draft. That pissed off a lot of UNLV fans, but I never heard about him being in that kind of trouble.

He was a little full of himself, and the rumors (whoever "they" are) said that there were doubts about his work ethic. But it was still pretty surprising that he didn't even get drafted. Probably the best thing that could have happened to him, because to his credit he figured out that it was going to be a lot harder to make it in the NBA than it was in college. Had he stayed at UNLV another year, I have no doubt that he would have gotten drafted - likely even somewhere in the first round. I still think he's a guy who could really improve inside the Spurs' system, and be good enough to play. If he had been on the team through SL and D-League, he might get pulled up while Gasol is out. But he wasn't, so it's really just trivial pursuit.

He is tall, though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think he got kicked off any team. I'm not aware of anything like that. He said that he would come back for his junior year, and then changed his mind and declared for the draft. That pissed off a lot of UNLV fans, but I never heard about him being in that kind of trouble.

He was a little full of himself, and the rumors (whoever "they" are) said that there were doubts about his work ethic. But it was still pretty surprising that he didn't even get drafted. Probably the best thing that could have happened to him, because to his credit he figured out that it was going to be a lot harder to make it in the NBA than it was in college. Had he stayed at UNLV another year, I have no doubt that he would have gotten drafted - likely even somewhere in the first round. I still think he's a guy who could really improve inside the Spurs' system, and be good enough to play. If he had been on the team through SL and D-League, he might get pulled up while Gasol is out. But he wasn't, so it's really just trivial pursuit.

He is tall, though.
    Wasn't there a guy from Washington with a similar name that got booted from his team and then went undrafted after being a first-round prospect?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If they can trade for Richaun Holmes it would be a good fit

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wasn't there a guy from Washington with a similar name that got booted from his team and then went undrafted after being a first-round prospect?
    Yeah, that Upshaw guy I think. That's who I was thinking of. The Lakers had him and then cut him, but a number of folks wanted Pop to get him before everything blew up.

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If they can trade for Richaun Holmes it would be a good fit
    This.

He has tons of potential and shines when given minutes. Unlike Kyle. Package phathead and a 2nd round pick to get him

Thread Information