Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not sure that the BPA will be a big, you have a lot of wings projected in our range tough it's a little bit early to have a good mock : Mitc , Bacon, Jackson, Iwundu, Hart.....

I agree with Chinook about Mulitinov, he shows some really good things lately but he needs to play and another year in Greece will be very good for him.

But in the other hand i'm not sur that a big in this draft will be better than him.

As i said if we go for a big, i want an energic/athletic one and Adebayo or Anigbogu are my choices.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What do you all think of Yurtseven he seems like a good athletic big who is good defender and rebounder.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't know Yourtseven a lot but looks like he has some potentiel and a nice touch around the rim. Looks like a little bit soft by the way.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    imho part of the potential hole at the two guard will be solved with the Hanga signing...he already expressed his will to come to nba next year and should be signed with a contract a la Bertans.
    He is a good athlete and good defensive player...imho more than adequate to replace, in case, the Simmons role.

So this should leave a more open mind about the draft and we could go with the best player available...

The point is that we are already full with young and developable players (Murray, Bertans, Anderson) with good but probably not all star potential (except maybe for Murray).

We need big quality young players to develop next to Kiwi...and usually this doesn't came with a 29 draft choice ...but can came, thanks for good scouting and a clear mind on what is compatible with our team, as we all well know, with a top 15 draft choice...

I wonder if our staff has already some player in their mind worth to trade up...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Chad Ford's latest mock has us taking Michigan PF DJ Wilson with our 1st round pick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Frank Ntilikina. Make it happen.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Need to post Hamiduo Diallo as a draft prospect swing for a possible home run.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    imho part of the potential hole at the two guard will be solved with the Hanga signing...he already expressed his will to come to nba next year and should be signed with a contract a la Bertans.
    He is a good athlete and good defensive player...imho more than adequate to replace, in case, the Simmons role.

So this should leave a more open mind about the draft and we could go with the best player available...

The point is that we are already full with young and developable players (Murray, Bertans, Anderson) with good but probably not all star potential (except maybe for Murray).

We need big quality young players to develop next to Kiwi...and usually this doesn't came with a 29 draft choice ...but can came, thanks for good scouting and a clear mind on what is compatible with our team, as we all well know, with a top 15 draft choice...

I wonder if our staff has already some player in their mind worth to trade up...
    I don't know man, outside of Murray there really isn't a guy that can break down the defense and create on a regular basis. That's the issue IMO and why we become so stagnant/Kawahi dependent.

The hope is/was Simmons could do that but he's been irregular. Murray has shown flashes but that's a lot to put on him as a second year man. Hanga seems to have a ceiling as a 3/D guys at the NBA level, which is useful (finally a decent back up to Kawahi!) but still doesn't address the gap in my opinion.

I think they go best available. I wouldn't be pissed if it's a big, but I hope the best available is a guard that can play picknroll.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The value at the end of the 1st is at the 4/5.

With that being said, I really like Jordan Bell more than any other big around 29.

As for wings, the wing I like most is Wesley Iwundu. I love his length, his skillset on both ends and his ability to play-make. If Spurs can move up in the 2nd round to grab Iwundu after they draft Jordan Bell at 29 -- I'd be a happy happy Spurs fan.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs should never draft a big man again as long as Pop and Buford run the draft process. They ABSOLUTELY suck at drafting and developing big men. Since the Duncan draft, in The Pop and RC reign they have drafted:
    1999 - Leon Smith (bust)
    2001 - Robertas Javtokas (raw, injured, never an NBA player)
    2002 - Luis Stola (available because he was en bered by a European contract and never signed by the Spurs)
    2004 - Sergei Karaulov (bust)
    2005 - Ian Mahinimi ( eventually became a mediocre NBA big well after let go by the Spurs)
    2006 - Damir Markota - bust
    2007 - Tiago Splitter (available because he was en bered by a European contract, took years to get over); Giorgos Printezis (bust)
    2008 - Dejuan Blair ( had a couple of mediocre years)
    2009 - Ryan Richards (bust)
    2013 - Livio Jan Charles (bust)
    2014 - Cory Jefferson (bust)
    2015 - Nikola Multinov, Cady Lalanne (pending busts)

What a stellar collection of crap. Doubt you can find another NBA team with such poor production of big men. Couldn't even identify a good one like Jamychal Green when they had him.

Meanwhile Spurs have identified Parker, Ginobili, Hill, Udrih, Salmons, deColo, Joseph, Anderson, and Murray in the SF, SG, PG positions. Dragic and Barbosa were also drafted but for other teams.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs should never draft a big man again as long as Pop and Buford run the draft process. They ABSOLUTELY suck at drafting and developing big men. Since the Duncan draft, in The Pop and RC reign they have drafted:
    1999 - Leon Smith (bust)
    2002 - Luis Stola (available because he was en bered by a European contract and never signed by the Spurs)
    2005 - Ian Mahinimi ( eventually became a mediocre NBA big well after let go by the Spurs)
    2007 - Tiago Splitter (available because he was en bered by a European contract, took years to get over); Giorgos Printezis (bust)

What a stellar collection of crap. Doubt you can find another NBA team with such poor production of big men. Couldn't even identify a good one like Jamychal Green when they had him.

Meanwhile Spurs have identified Parker, Ginobili, Hill, Udrih, Salmons, deColo, Joseph, Anderson, and Murray in the SF, SG, PG positions. Dragic and Barbosa were also drafted but for other teams.
    Most of those were late 2nd round picks. Most of those picks are busts.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Most of those were late 2nd round picks. Most of those picks are busts.
    Leon Smith, Mahinmi, Splitter, Charles, Multinov. One out of five first round bigs doing jack for the Spurs in the NBA I'd say is pretty sucky.

Spurs fan in Las Vegas Drom John's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Need to post Hamiduo Diallo as a draft prospect swing for a possible home run.
    Thread created last week waiting for moderator approval.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1999 - Leon Smith (bust)

Good comprehensive post. They missed Gobert which was available and was a picked with a purchased pick just one spot above Spurs... missed Jokic too. I am sure there are others probably that I am missing.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Leon Smith, Mahinmi, Splitter, Charles, Multinov. One out of five first round bigs doing jack for the Spurs in the NBA I'd say is pretty sucky.
    Mahinmi and Splitter were quality NBA bigs. Milutinov is unknown sitll. Jean Charles was a bust, but he tore up his ACL and didn't work very hard like Bertans.

Leon Smith was a bust as well, but that was 18 yrs ago. Spurs have implemented much more resources to their scouting department since then. So I don't count Leon Smith.

With that being said, Spurs are 2 for 3 with 1 still unknown. Not bad for late 1st round picks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mahinmi and Splitter were quality NBA bigs. Milutinov is unknown sitll. Jean Charles was a bust, but he tore up his ACL and didn't work very hard like Bertans.

Leon Smith was a bust as well, but that was 18 yrs ago. Spurs have implemented much more resources to their scouting department since then. So I don't count Leon Smith.

With that being said, Spurs are 2 for 3 with 1 still unknown. Not bad for late 1st round picks.
    A successful Spurs' draft pick has to actually contribute something to the Spurs, like actually play for the Spursin a meaningful way or be used in a productive trade. What exactly did Mahinmi do for the Spurs other than waste some development resources? Far as I can recall Pop and RC were making the calls when Smith was picked so he's on their resume. Multinov has been less than stellar as an NBA prospect to date unlike a guy like Aziz. I'd say pending bust to date.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1999 - Leon Smith (bust)

Javtokas -- great pick, but just never wanted to come over
    Scola -- great pick, just didn't work out
    Mahinmi -- good pick who had bad luck; one of a number of players who had talent but couldn't be developed.
    Splitter -- the Spurs could have brought him over in 2008 had his sister not gotten sick. They probably would have brought him over immediately in today's NBA.
    Blair -- One of the best picks the team had made outside of their stars. Tremendous value for a second-rounder.
    Jefferson -- immediately traded to Philly in a pre-arranged deal. Looks as good as any late-second player, though.
    Milutinov -- looks like he'll be fine for his draft slot, though he really should come over.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The only one I'll give as a short term contributor to the Spurs was Splitter and a coffee cup from Blair.
    For an eternity Spurs have lived off of non-drafted bigs, Lee, Detmon, Gasol, West, Diaw, Mohammed, Baynes Bonner McDyess Ratliff, Oberto, Nesterovic, Elson.

Drafting a big for the Spurs has been a waste. Even more so now that the game is moving toward emphasizing perimeter play rather than low post offense.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The only one I'll give as a short term contributor to the Spurs was Splitter and a coffee cup from Blair.
    For an eternity Spurs have lived off of non-drafted bigs, Lee, Detmon, Gasol, West, Diaw, Mohammed, Baynes Bonner McDyess Ratliff, Oberto, Nesterovic, Elson.

Drafting a big for the Spurs has been a waste. Even more so now that the game is moving toward emphasizing perimeter play rather than low post offense.
    Who said Spurs should draft a big who is good in the low post?

Spurs need to draft a versatile, mobile defender who can step out and defend the PnR and protect the interior. That is Jordan Bell.

For a big in todays game, value is tied to their ability to defend not only in the paint, but in space. And on the offensive end, finish inside off different angles or versions of the PnR. Spurs don't need a big man to post up.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like Jordan Bell as a 2nd Rd Pick. If I were going to take a big in the late 1st I would look for a guy that is younger (Bell is 22) and who has a solid 3 point stroke to go along with length and shot blocking ability. As a 2nd round pick though I'd be pretty high on Bell because he does a lot of things that translates into today's game and if Chip could develop his outside stroke then he'd be a steal.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who said Spurs should draft a big who is good in the low post?

Spurs need to draft a versatile, mobile defender who can step out and defend the PnR and protect the interior. That is Jordan Bell.

For a big in todays game, value is tied to their ability to defend not only in the paint, but in space. And on the offensive end, finish inside off different angles or versions of the PnR. Spurs don't need a big man to post up.
    You mean the Spurs should recognize and pick a talent like Jamychal Green.
    Last edited by picnroll; 05-01-2017 at 10:40 AM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A successful Spurs' draft pick has to actually contribute something to the Spurs, like actually play for the Spursin a meaningful way or be used in a productive trade. What exactly did Mahinmi do for the Spurs other than waste some development resources? Far as I can recall Pop and RC were making the calls when Smith was picked so he's on their resume. Multinov has been less than stellar as an NBA prospect to date unlike a guy like Aziz. I'd say pending bust to date.
    Ian was as much a failure of the Spurs medical team. The year he missed because of a missed diagnosis was key. He would have gotten big minutes that year and would have benefited greatly.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Javtokas He would have been a stud if had not totaled his bike and body in a wreck.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ian was as much a failure of the Spurs medical team. The year he missed because of a missed diagnosis was key. He would have gotten big minutes that year and would have benefited greatly.
    Please remind me what the missed diagnosis was and what the real issue was. That was a very frustrating year. Mahinmi had shown some great athleticism in brief stints prior to his health issue.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Please remind me what the missed diagnosis was and what the real issue was. That was a very frustrating year. Mahinmi had shown some great athleticism in brief stints prior to his health issue.
    from memory: The summer after his rookie year, Mahinmi participated in a big man's camp and severely sprained his ankle there.

The ankle seemed to give Ian repeated trouble and never get better. X-Rays and MRIs didn't show anything, and of course that might have led some in the coaching staff and front office to believe that Ian was soft or not committed to working hard.

Eventually, well into the season, there was exploratory surgery, and it found loose bone chips in his ankle that hadn't shown up in the other tests. He wasn't soft at all, or being a whiner, or not working hard, it was bone chips messing up his ankle. It was so late in the season that the recovery time meant his year was over.

Thread Information