Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    from memory: The summer after his rookie year, Mahinmi participated in a big man's camp and severely sprained his ankle there.

The ankle seemed to give Ian repeated trouble and never get better. X-Rays and MRIs didn't show anything, and of course that might have led some in the coaching staff and front office to believe that Ian was soft or not committed to working hard.

Eventually, well into the season, there was exploratory surgery, and it found loose bone chips in his ankle that hadn't shown up in the other tests. He wasn't soft at all, or being a whiner, or not working hard, it was bone chips messing up his ankle. It was so late in the season that the recovery time meant his year was over.
    Yes, thanks for the reminder. I always believed that had the Spurs gambled with him and re-signed him he would have become a much better player than he eventually became. He showed real promise his rookie year.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In this draft the best PG will be gone by 14th pick. The best players for when we pick will probably be PF or C

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In this draft the best PG will be gone by 14th pick. The best players for when we pick will probably be PF or C

They have a couple good wing prospects in our range but all this speculation seems moot since PATFO will pick their highest rated player that falls to them (i.e. Murray and Anderson). I don't think they get a guy ranked in the 26-30 range, they'll be looking for value picks (guys who fall from the 21-25 range or earlier that fall to them) but we won't know who those guys are till draft night when we see which guy starts slipping. If none of those guys they like fall to them then they'll either
    A) draft and stash or
    B) trade down for a pair of second rounders
    Either way the Spurs look for value picks and will rarely look for right guy right price.
    While I hope a wing falls to us I actually agree with your take that we'll end up with a PF/C and if that's the case I am hopeful that it's either Been Adebayo or Harry Giles. I really doubt either of them fall that fast though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They have a couple good wing prospects in our range but all this speculation seems moot since PATFO will pick their highest rated player that falls to them (i.e. Murray and Anderson). I don't think they get a guy ranked in the 26-30 range, they'll be looking for value picks (guys who fall from the 21-25 range or earlier that fall to them) but we won't know who those guys are till draft night when we see which guy starts slipping. If none of those guys they like fall to them then they'll either
    A) draft and stash or
    B) trade down for a pair of second rounders
    Either way the Spurs look for value picks and will rarely look for right guy right price.
    While I hope a wing falls to us I actually agree with your take that we'll end up with a PF/C and if that's the case I am hopeful that it's either Been Adebayo or Harry Giles. I really doubt either of them fall that fast though.
    Good opinion.
    I tend to agree.
    Thanks for sharing. You also have it right in that both Anderson and Murray were ranked higher than 29-30 the year they were drafted. And in recent seasons when Spurs didn't find a value pick they decided to draft and stash some guy that looked like a second rounder but that they liked and could stash. (Milutinov and LJC).

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I really like Yurtseven he is young (19) but is already a great defender/shot blocker/rebounder all he needs is to add some weights. He is mobile and can help out on pick and roll defense and good perimeter defender.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Use the 29th on Jordan Bell. He's exactly the type of player the Spurs need to move forward.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Some news about spurs draft :

Adam Zagoria: Duke’s Frank Jackson told me he’s met with Boston, San Antonio, Charlotte, Utah, New Orleans, Detroit, Sacramento & the Knicks.

Vincent Ellis: Michigan’s D.J. Wilson says he interviewed with the #Pistons. Injured quad on 1st day of workouts with #Spurs. Also worked out for #Jazz.

Adam Zagoria: Kennedy Meeks says he’s only met with the Spurs.

Use the 29th on Jordan Bell. He's exactly the type of player the Spurs need to move forward.

I like Bell too with Adebayo, Anugbogu they are good inside prospect.... in our range Lessort or Motley seems good too.

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/...-day-one-5928/ Interesting about Bell.
    Last edited by duncan2150; 05-13-2017 at 09:33 AM.

My Girl's a Hooper keithington1's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like Juwan Evans (even tho Dj is our future), Frank Jackson, and Hamidou Diallo (project). These guys can come of the bench or play alongside DJ. With parker hurt, Ginobili retiring, Simmons and Mills going to FA.

I think we need an insurance wing with playmaking ability. I do like Bell to replace Dedmon.
    Last edited by keithington1; 05-13-2017 at 06:35 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Isn't Bell like 6'7 tall?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Isn't Bell like 6'7 tall?
    Also listed as 225. He's lighter than Kawhi.

A bit worrisome.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes he's 6'7 wo shoes and 6'8 with shoes. Also a 6'11.75 wingspan.

Thornwell met with at least 14 teams this past week, including San Antonio, Orlando, Miami, Brooklyn, Denver, Golden State, Milwaukee, Detroit, Portland, Atlanta and Dallas. He knew of at least one private workout scheduled with the Trail Blazers.
    Last edited by duncan2150; 05-14-2017 at 04:01 AM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wow Draft Net has us taking Yurtseven...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like Juwan Evans (even tho Dj is our future), Frank Jackson, and Hamidou Diallo (project). These guys can come of the bench or play alongside DJ. With parker hurt, Ginobili retiring, Simmons and Mills going to FA.

I think we need an insurance wing with playmaking ability. I do like Bell to replace Dedmon.
    Really like Diallo as a prospect

He's super young (doesn't turn 19 till a month after the draft, he only be 22 by the end of his rookie deal), freakishly long and athletic. Apparently has a lot of defensive potential and can attack the rim off the dribble.

Also like

Parsecknicks and Adebayo both look like two very solid big prospects.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://nbadraft.theringer.com.

Nobody really knows how the draft will go or who the Spurs will draft but I the link is a nice little piece for info on guys later in draft imo for those of us who don't really watch college ball.

With that said I'm in the camp that the Spurs need to draft a big who is versatile defensively. Specifically on the switch. We will most likely have another year of Pau and I think Dedmon will walk. So I think it'd be a good idea to get a big now and start working on him. Murray and Simmons are showing the potential we can have defensively as a team. All we need is another big that can hold it down defensively while LMA is resting.

I think Jordan Bell is a good option. Great timing, he's older so Spurs might see him as more mature and he isn't projected too high by many people.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How much do you think Otto Porter will get? I know it's impossible but still...

And what about Bogdanovic? Wizards have some interesting free agent wings on the market.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Phoenix falling out of top 3 is Interesting. Spurs have to at least call about LMA now.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Phoenix falling out of top 3 is Interesting. Spurs have to at least call about LMA now.
    completely agree...expecially if lma keeps playing this way...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In another thread I wondered if this would get a trade for #4 done:

- LMA to PHX
    - Spurs get #4 but take back Knight's ty deal + filler (Len or Dudley)

Would love to get Bender instead of the filler but think that might be too rich.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    IN Lma Phoenix take exactly what they need to became a play off team. That was the plan when they tried to sign him two years ago. Today they didn't have had good answers from Len as a big and probably they don't plan to re-sign him.
    Bledsoe, Booker, Warren, Lma, Chandler
    Ulis, Barbosa, Dudley, Chriss, Bender

With players like Chandler and Bledsoe, if they want to exploit their potential, the time is now.

Spurs, on the other end, needs new blood for exploiting Leonard's prime (next five years) and cap space for signing or re-signing their young players (Simmons, Mills, Deadmon, in this order).

Lma for the 4 is, imho, a win win trade for both teams...(obviously, only if the spurs thinks ther's someone they like at the 4...)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In another thread I wondered if this would get a trade for #4 done:

- LMA to PHX
    - Spurs get #4 but take back Knight's ty deal + filler (Len or Dudley)

Would love to get Bender instead of the filler but think that might be too rich.
    Would probably need to be LMA for 4, Knight and Chandler.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Would probably need to be LMA for 4, Knight and Chandler.

Who do you like for SA at 4?

If you don't LOVE anyone, would you like to use the 4th to trade down to like POR for their 15th, 20th and next yrs 1st?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who do you like for SA at 4?

If you don't LOVE anyone, would you like to use the 4th to trade down to like POR for their 15th, 20th and next yrs 1st?
    I don't like that value, though I would be fine coming out of the draft with John Collins at 15. The real issue is that 15 should be the worst asset in the package, and it's easily the best.

At four, you can hope that one of the top two guys falls. If they don't you try to sell Fox or Jackson to any of the five or so teams below you. If they balk, you take Isaac or Fox (or whomever else PATFO likes the most) and be done with it. I'm not doing a blind trade down that far for anything less that an unprotected pick from a team projected to be bad.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't like that value, though I would be fine coming out of the draft with John Collins at 15. The real issue is that 15 should be the worst asset in the package, and it's easily the best.

At four, you can hope that one of the top two guys falls. If they don't you try to sell Fox or Jackson to any of the five or so teams below you. If they balk, you take Isaac or Fox (or whomever else PATFO likes the most) and be done with it. I'm not doing a blind trade down that far for anything less that an unprotected pick from a team projected to be bad.
    What if PATFO has a board that has balance from 4-20 ( outside of Jackson). What if they really love 3 guys projected to go 15-25 more than Foxx, Tatum, Monk, Isaac?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What if PATFO has a board that has balance from 4-20 ( outside of Jackson). What if they really love 3 guys projected to go 15-25 more than Foxx, Tatum, Monk, Isaac?
    I'd think it weird. NBA teams tend not to be that far out of alignment. It's entirely possible for three guys they really like to happen to fall. But even someone like Kawhi wasn't projected in the range in which he went.

In either event, I don't think it's good value, even though it could obviously work out for them. I don't think 15, 20 and 29 is a good start to reload.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd think it weird. NBA teams tend not to be that far out of alignment. It's entirely possible for three guys they really like to happen to fall. But even someone like Kawhi wasn't projected in the range in which he went.

In either event, I don't think it's good value, even though it could obviously work out for them. I don't think 15, 20 and 29 is a good start to reload.
    I see LA as a role player these days. I don't think getting rid of him means Spurs are blowing it up or reloading. I think if Spurs don't think highly of 4-10 outside of Jackson, they'd be better off getting 15th, 20th and next yrs 1st ( have it unprotected).

And I don't think Spurs put too much into DE mock boards or mock boards in general. Their board could be entirely different than the norm. So guys slated to go 15-20 could easily be in Spurs top 10. IE: When Hill was drafted, many saw him goiing in high to mid 2nd round. Spurs didn't care about perceived value. They got their guy.
    Last edited by MaNu4Tres; 05-17-2017 at 01:28 PM.

Thread Information