Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You don't have to be Duncan to attempt to block shots and box out on rebounds You can literally grab someone off the street to do that
    The why does "The G.O.A.T" coach doesn't take your advice an not start him an just pick up someone off the street?? Please let me know.... I'll wait.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

So you're telling me there is a chance? Secretly wishing he opts out, the Spurs desperately need a new starting PG (And he is not Paddy Mills)..There is no escaping this fact..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Strong hint Gasol is opting in:

$16,197,500

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Better than Dewayne Errors tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dedmon is starting to tun into a one trick pony. Gasol seems to know his role and is starting to mesh. I'd have no problem with him opting to stay.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He does sound like he has changed his tune.
    First it was I am here and will continue here. It even sounded like he wanted to retire a Spur.
    Now it's let's wait and see.

Getting benched may have hurt his ego enough to where if the Spurs don't ring he will consider options. He also may consider opting out to negotiate a different deal. He's still a very good offensive player and could still get paid plus start maybe. Not saying there's discontent but winning cures everything and not winning makes certain egos care about other stuff. I'd like Pau back tbh.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    i would be surprised if he left.

unless it was to go to memphis.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He does sound like he has changed his tune.
    First it was I am here and will continue here. It even sounded like he wanted to retire a Spur.
    Now it's let's wait and see.

Getting benched may have hurt his ego enough to where if the Spurs don't ring he will consider options. He also may consider opting out to negotiate a different deal. He's still a very good offensive player and could still get paid plus start maybe. Not saying there's discontent but winning cures everything and not winning makes certain egos care about other stuff. I'd like Pau back tbh.
    It could be the ego thing of not starting. Very possible. It also could be the Spurs have already floated the idea of a longer contract at a lower per year to give them flexibility. Neither would surprise me.

As Gambit said, Memphis really would be the only other place for him. (I suppose his old boss Phil Jackson could coming calling for a triangle center offering a ridiculous salary, but who trades the SPurs for Knicks chaos? )

At some level Pau must have been ok with being a bench player because he signed before we knew if Timmy was retiring. If Timmy had been healthy, Pau would have been on the bench. But playing behind an unskilled guy like Dedmon has to irk a HOFer. Pop has to emphasize Pau gets ALL the shots when on the bench.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not sure why few people are dismissing the idea of Pau opting out..It is not like he's been terrible; he 's having one of his best seasons on per36mins basis..

And there are actually a couple or more suitors in the market that could be after his services: Memphis (to play with his brother if they let Zbo walk), Knicks (Phil/triangle) and Wolves (Thibs with a team in need for veteran leadership)..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Getting benched may have hurt his ego enough to where if the Spurs don't ring he will consider options.
    "Getting benched" is not the same thing as coming off the bench. Pau is still getting good minutes. And like he has said, finishing the game is more important than starting the game.

It also could be the Spurs have already floated the idea of a longer contract at a lower per year to give them flexibility.
    So what kind of up-and-out could anyone offer him? 30M over 3 years? If Pau takes the Spurs' $16m next year, all he would have to get is 7+7 for the next two years to equal that. Even at his age, he could get 7+7 anywhere, as long as he doesn't get injured next season. I just don't see how Pau gets a better situation by opting out. Maybe he would agree to opt out and come back for 3/30 because he wants to stay here. But I'm totally expecting to see him in silver and black next season.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not sure why few people are dismissing the idea of Pau opting out..It is not like he's been terrible; he 's having one of his best seasons on per36mins basis..

And there are actually a couple or more suitors in the market that could be after his services: Memphis (to play with his brother if they let Zbo walk), Knicks (Phil/triangle) and Wolves (Thibs with a team in need for veteran leadership)..
    If Gasol opts out, I suspect it'll be as part of a wink-wink agreement with management, to essentially allow them to re-finance him on a multi-year contract and make it more palatable for them to re-sign Mills and Dedmon.

For obvious reasons, one should always come off as non committal, but he already tipped his hand earlier in the season and though things can obviously change and he's clearly not thrilled with his role offensively, there's no other team that can check as many boxes for him.

Of the three you listed, none can offer him even close to pseudo contender status or top two option status (and as a Grizzly, he'd not only have to remain a 6th man, but primarily defender power forwards, which he obviously can't do anymore).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Getting benched" is not the same thing as coming off the bench. Pau is still getting good minutes. And like he has said, finishing the game is more important than starting the game.
    It's an expression... you know what I meant...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's an expression... you know what I meant...

I wasn't bashing you... seriously. I've listened to enough interviews, and they keep acting like he's been demoted in an insulting way. I think it hurts his pride a bit, just from some of his comments. How could it not? I was just saying that he almost has the best of both worlds. He's benefitting from coming off the bench, and he's still the guy in the game down the stretch. He's a "bench player" in the same way Manu was for so many years - a starter, just not starting. I don't think this has/will change his opinion about staying one bit.

I wish Dedmon was handling the starter role as well as Pau is handling the bench role.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wasn't bashing you... seriously. I've listened to enough interviews, and they keep acting like he's been demoted in an insulting way. I think it hurts his pride a bit, just from some of his comments. How could it not? I was just saying that he almost has the best of both worlds. He's benefitting from coming off the bench, and he's still the guy in the game down the stretch. He's a "bench player" in the same way Manu was for so many years - a starter, just not starting. I don't think this has/will change his opinion about staying one bit.

I wish Dedmon was handling the starter role as well as Pau is handling the bench role.
    Yes I see your point.
    its too hard to tell where the team is chemistry wise with Dedmon. Tony was injured so many games, Pop still experimenting this late in the season. He started Davis twice recently for a reason. There could be concerns offensively. Pop seems to still be testing things out this late and Pau was one who mentioned chemistry and set lineups as necessary for the team to get their act together. Sometimes it's injury and it can't be helped. Others one really wonders if there are issues. Personally I have voiced my thoughts that I don't think there are... but others like sasaint remain suspect.

we shouldn't forget how Dwest kept saying all the right things to then bolt as soon as game 6 was over essentially. I don't know.

Thread Information