Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
     Yes, Dems Should Block Gorsuch While the FBI’s Trump Probe Goes on

Mitch McConnell obstructed not only Obama’s Supreme Court pick but his effort to alert voters about Russian election hacking—inextricably tying these issues together.

https://www.thenation.com/article/ye...probe-goes-on/

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Neil Gorsuch Shouldn’t Be Confirmed Until Donald Trump’s Presidential Legitimacy Is Proved

Neil Gorsuch shouldn’t be confirmed until Trump comes clean.

Nominating a new justice of the Supreme Court is one of the most important responsibilities of a president. But until we know Trump is a legitimate president, he can’t be presumed to have the authority to make such a pick.

First, we need to be sure Trump didn’t collaborate with Russia to rig the election. The FBI says it has enough “credible evidence” that Trump aides colluded with Russian operatives to affect the outcome of the election, to move forward with a full-scale investigation.

At the least, Gorsuch shouldn’t be considered until that investigation is concluded.

We also need to be sure Trump isn’t motivated by financial conflicts of interest around the world.

We need to see his tax records to know he doesn’t owe a bundle to Russian oligarchs or big global banks that would affect his judgement.

http://www.truthdig.com/avbooth/item...+the+Headlines

That's a great strategy. Do the Dems have the spine to do it?

Repugs would nuke the filibuster, anyway.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol boutons. Credible evidence of collusion

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Lol boutons. Credible evidence of collusion
    Boutons loves fake news.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    GOP Dares Call Gorsuch Filibuster Unprecedented—While Ignoring Their Blockade Of Garland

they are claiming that Democrats are the norm-breakers for threatening to filibuster President Trump’s own Supreme Court nominee, Neil Gorsuch.

Republicans are in a full-scale pressure campaign to convince 41 Democrats not to vote against invoking “cloture” on the debate over Gorsuch, which would prevent him from moving to a floor vote, where he would need only a simple majority to be confirmed. GOP leaders have suggested, if that occurred, they would move to “nuke” the filibuster on Supreme Court nominees.

They’re correct in that typically a cloture vote is not called for a Supreme Court nominees, having occurred only four times in the modern era, according to the Washington Post.

Most nominees were able to go directly from committee to an up-or-down simple majority vote on the Senate floor. Democrats’ current rhetoric about a 60-vote standard is a twisting of how things have usually happened.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/dc/gop-...+%28TPMNews%29

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Top Dem Rips Senate GOP Saying Every Single One of Them Blocked Obama’s Nominee for a Year

"Let me repeat that:

only three of the current senators on the Republican side voted for either one of President Obama's confirmed nominees.

Most voted for neither."

"And every single one of them lined up to conduct an 'audacious' partisan blockade of Merrick Garland,"

the top Democrat reminded Republicans.

http://www.politicususa.com/2017/03/...iticus+USA+%29

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With Gorsuch in mind, McCain pretends debilitating ill-will in the Senate appeared out of the blue

McCain in the pre-election vanguard of Republicans last October saying the party would sandbag any Supreme Court nominations made by Hillary Clinton if she were to win the presidency.

"I promise you that we will be united against any Supreme Court nominee that Hillary Clinton, if she were president, would put up,”

“The Senate has changed,” said Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.), who’s fought rules changes in the past. “You can’t do what we used to do, what I did in the past. There’s too much ill will.”

Ill will did not arrive in the Senate on a puff stray wind. Its genesis was not spontaneous.

The GOP’s record of scorched-earth politics and its eight-year-long to everything on Obama’s agenda was the catalyst.

McCain’s act long ago grew tedious. And now it’s just pathetic

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2017/03/30/1648647/-With-Gorsuch-in-mind-McCain-pretends-debilitating-ill-will-in-the-Senate-appeared-out-of-the-blue?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_cam paign=Feed%3A+dailykos%2Findex+%28Daily+Kos%29

Repugs can obstruct anything and everything, but wonder why Dems want to obstruct?

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So the Democrats just got to 41 votes against Gorsuch, and will filibuster his ass. Anyone think there is any chance McConnell doesn't invoke the nuclear option? It has been such a valuable rule for the GOP in the past.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Neil Gorsuch Accused of Plagiarism Days Before Confirmation Vote

Republicans have painted Supreme Court nominee Neil Gorsuch as a man whose character and legal scholarship are unimpeachable, but on Tuesday night he became the latest Trump pick to be accused of plagiarism.

Politico and BuzzFeed reported that in several sections of Gorsuch’s 2006 book The Future of Assisted Suicide and Euthanasia, and in an article on the same subject published in the Harvard Journal of Law and Public Policy in 2000, he repeats the facts, words, and structures of other sources without citing them.

The most egregious example is a summary in Gorsuch’s book of a 1982 case involving a baby with Down syndrome. Gorsuch repeats about 11 sentences from an Indiana Law Journal article by Abigail Lawlis Kuzma, omitting and altering only a few words and sentences. Rather than giving Kuzma attribution, Gorsuch cites the same sources that she relied on.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer...-his-book.html

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Read this instead:

The actual Politico article for a much more accurate description. No wonder Boots did not use this.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/0...e-court-236891

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Read this instead:

The actual Politico article for a much more accurate description. No wonder Boots did not use this.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/0...e-court-236891
    G F Y

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mitch McConnell Goes ‘Nuclear’ To Break Supreme Court Filibuster

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) and his fellow Republicans pulled the nuclear rules trigger Thursday, moving to end filibusters for Supreme Court justices

He began that by launching a string of procedural moves that allows a Senate majority to change longstanding rules with a simple majority, or 51 votes.

Democrats responded by trying to adjourn the Senate, but McConnell was expected to triumph by this afternoon.

It normally takes a two-thirds vote to jettison rules in the middle of a session, and using procedural tools to do it is a rare step that generates extreme ill-will in historically deliberative body.

Gorsuch is expected to be confirmed on Friday.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/republicans-nuclear-option_us_58e664ace4b05894715eabda?utm_medium=emai l&utm_campaign=Mitch%20McConnell%20Goes%20Nuclear% 20To%20Break%20Supreme%20Court%20Filibuster&utm_co ntent=Mitch%20McConnell%20Goes%20Nuclear%20To%20Br eak%20Supreme%20Court%20Filibuster+CID_75934ae436a c548bfee8c17651a035a5&utm_source=Email%20marketing %20software&utm_term=Read%20More&

Repugs America into un ability.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    republicans.

My Team
    Portland Trail Blazers
    Post Count
    #Winning!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why didn't the Demons go *nuclear* when the Repugs blocked Garland?
    Tried to but not enough votes?

Either way, why even support any of these phuck politicians?
    Freaking jerking off game playing re s.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why didn't the Demons go *nuclear* when the Repugs blocked Garland?
    Tried to but not enough votes?

Either way, why even support any of these phuck politicians?
    Freaking jerking off game playing re s.
    The Dems did not have the majority in the Senate to go nuclear when Garland was nominated.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One of the key objectives of the 60 vote rule was to obtain "bi partisan" agreement to get to 60 when a party didn't have 60

with 51, that objective is gone, polarizing the Senate even more.

ing Confederate McConnell, ing up the Senate

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One of the key objectives of the 60 vote rule was to obtain "bi partisan" agreement to get to 60 when a party didn't have 60

with 51, that objective is gone, polarizing the Senate even more.

ing Confederate McConnell, ing up the Senate
    Clarence Thomas was confirmed with 52-48 votes and Alito with 58-42 votes. It hasn't always been a 60 vote threshold.

Ginsberg had a 96-3 vote - I guess those repub senators were more "bi-partisan" that the "resist" Dems of today.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Clarence Thomas was confirmed with 52-48 votes and Alito with 58-42 votes. It hasn't always been a 60 vote threshold.

Ginsberg had a 96-3 vote - I guess those repub senators were more "bi-partisan" that the "resist" Dems of today.
    LOL republicans calling the democrats obstructionists after not holding a vote for almost a year after Scalia's post went vacant. Remember when the democrat senate confirmed Kennedy 97-0 in Reagan's lame duck year?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The point is that the Senate was not the partisan group back then (for both Ginsberg and Kennedy) that it is today, and 60 is not some magic number.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The point is that the Senate was not the partisan group back then (for both Ginsberg and Kennedy) that it is today, and 60 is not some magic number.
    The point is you're butthurt about democrats trying to pull the same thing republicans had been doing for 8 years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Democrats would have nuked it too if they won the White House. Would have had to.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Democrats would have nuked it too if they won the White House. Would have had to.
    ?????

They couldn't when republicans had the majority.

BTW...The meltdowns today are boutons caliber... ing hilarious

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ?????

They couldn't when republicans had the majority.

BTW...The meltdowns today are boutons caliber... ing hilarious
    yeah! liberal tears! yeah! most important thing!

Thread Information