Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He knows what he is doing

Enforcing something extreme so he can get what he wants which is the middle ground

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    one Machiavellian idea is that now Trash and his authoritarian accomplices, preparing for their martial law order, know that CBP will IGNORE legal orders from the judicial branch, it was a perhaps inadvertant test of "loyalty" of the CPB/ICE to the Exec.

The Fire Next Time ...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He knows what he is doing

Enforcing something extreme so he can get what he wants which is the middle ground
    You dont pull this move with both the house and senate on your side.

If the dems had control then maybe. But he should have no problem passing stuff through congress.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A US-born NASA scientist was detained at the border until he unlocked his phone

Two weeks ago, Sidd Bikkannavar flew back into the United States after spending a few weeks abroad in South America. An employee of NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL), Bikkannavar had been on a personal trip, pursuing his hobby of racing solar-powered cars. He had recently joined a Chilean team, and spent the last weeks of January at a race in Patagonia.

Bikkannavar is a seasoned international traveller — but his return home to the US this time around was anything but routine. Bikkannavar left for South America on January 15th, under the Obama Administration. He flew back from Santiago, Chile to the George Bush Intercontinental Airport in Houston, Texas on Monday, January 30th, just over a week into the Trump Administration.

Bikkannavar says he was detained by US Customs and Border Patrol and pressured to give the CBP agents his phone and access PIN. Since the phone was issued by NASA, it may have contained sensitive material that wasn’t supposed to be shared. Bikkannavar’s phone was returned to him after it was searched by CBP, but he doesn’t know exactly what information officials might have taken from the device.

Seemingly, Bikkannavar’s reentry into the country should not have raised any flags. Not only is he a natural-born US citizen, but he’s also enrolled in Global Entry — a program through CBP that allows individuals who have undergone background checks to have expedited entry into the country. He hasn’t visited the countries listed in the immigration ban and he has worked at JPL — a major center at a US federal agency — for 10 years. There, he works on “wavefront sensing and control,” a type of optics technology that will be used on the upcoming James Webb Space Telescope.

Bikkannavar says he’s still unsure why he was singled out for the electronic search. He says he understands that his name is foreign — its roots go back to southern India. But it shouldn’t be a trigger for extra scrutiny, he says. “Sometimes I get stopped and searched, but never anything like this. Maybe you could say it was one huge coincidence that this thing happens right at the travel ban.”

Read More:
    http://www.theverge.com/2017/2/12/14...ump-travel-ban

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "why he was singled out for the electronic search"

WTF?
    He's BROWN.

White male supremacist/nationalist Bannon at the helm, supported by Gorka, Flynn, Kelly, Miller.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    white house announces they aren't taking the case to the supreme court... the temporary restraining order survives

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    white house announces they aren't taking the case to the supreme court... the temporary restraining order survives
    Quitters

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Smart - don't waste time. You know what mistakes you made with the original EO. Issue narrower EOs and get what you need done.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Smart - don't waste time. You know what mistakes you made with the original EO. Issue narrower EOs and get what you need done.
    What would have been smart would be to craft the EO correctly the first time and then coming back with the ty defense that the EO was not reviewable. It's amateur hour in the WH and Donald is an embarrassment to the office.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They did waste time though. About 2 weeks worth of waste and embarrassment for Trump. In the end he looks like a loser by being denied so thoroughly.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ... they banned Muslims because they were Muslims. As I reported earlier, they rang that bell and so-called judges won't let it be unrung.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I already said that the EO was poorly executed. You guys can crow all you want about how it looks. I care about the extreme vetting getting done - no matter how many EOs it takes him.

boutons, pls get over the Obama-identified countries. The other muslim countries aren't hotbeds of terrorism or they aren't letting refugees in (or they have information/data on the people who are in their country).

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    it takes 2 years to get thru long-standing immigrant b/g checks

as usual, your ignorance has allowed you to be conned yet again by Don the Con in chief.
    Last edited by boutons_deux; 02-13-2017 at 12:38 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    it takes 2 years to get thru long-standing immigrant b/g checks

as usual, your ignoranc has allowed you to be conned yet again by Don the Con in chief.
    Yeah, vetting/checking against what info/data?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, vetting/checking against what info/data?
    Here's how Kobach's SS work for dubya's WH worked so well

Donald Trump’s proposed “Muslim registry,” explained

The Bush-era registry that just happened to target majority-Muslim countries

Kobach knows exactly what he’s talking about. As a staffer in George W. Bush’s Justice Department after 9/11, he led the effort to put together the National Security Entry-Exit Registration System, or NSEERS.

Under NSEERS, certain “foreign citizens and nationals” in the US had to come into immigration offices for fingerprinting, photos, and interviews — and then had to check in again at designated intervals.

But this “special registration” system was selective. It only applied to people on non-immigrant visas (including tourism and work visas). It only applied to men over the age of 16. And it only applied to people from a list of countries the Bush administration considered “havens for terrorists.”

There were 25 countries on the “special registration” list. Twenty-four were majority-Muslim countries. The 25th was North Korea.
    Over the next decade, more than 80,000 men were put into NSEERS “special registration” database — Muslims and non-Muslims from suspected countries alike. But to Muslim American and civil rights groups, the fact that the Bush administration was responding to 9/11 by ordering thousands of Muslim men to show up to register with the government was de facto discriminatory.

NSEERS was an easy way to scoop up Muslim immigrants for minor violations

The Department of Homeland Security says that NSEERS allowed it to catch and deport suspected terrorists. But according to the American Civil Liberties Union,

no one registered with NSEERS was ever actually convicted of a terrorism-related crime before deportation.

What NSEERS did do, however, was provide an easy way to catch Muslim men (and non-Muslim men from Muslim countries) in the US who violated the terms of their visas, or of the “special registration” program itself.

By July 2003, less than a year after NSEERS went into effect, the government had registered 83,000 men in the database — and had put 13,000 of them in court proceedings for deportation. In the first two months of NSEERS, 1,000 registrants were detained, and all but 15 of them were detained for civil violations.

Most of these men had violated the terms of their visas at some point while living in the US — though thousands of them had applied for green cards before they registered with NSEERS, and just hadn’t had their applications approved yet.

In theory, the purpose of NSEERS was to catch terrorists, not people who’d violated civil immigration laws. But visa overstays were what the government found. And visa overstays were what it punished.

http://www.vox.com/policy-and-politi...ister-database

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    "I thought you said we'll see you in court"... ing savage

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/0...n-judge-234980

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    CLARENCE THOMAS.

Justice’s wife pushed travel ban:

“In leaked emails, Ginni Thomas asked for advice on how to organize in favor of Trump’s travel ban. But by doing so, she may have inadvertently made it harder for the executive order to survive the Supreme Court.”

http://www.towleroad.com/2017/02/clarence-thomas/

I guess meaning CT would recuse himself in the case, making the court 4-3. and the ban to be illegal as "settled law".

But there have been a few cases where the VRWC boys should have, but didn't, recuse themselves, since, like the VRWC, Repugs, they don't GAF about the law or conventions.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    increased immigration correlates with decreases in crime:

https://arstechnica.com/science/2017...s-crime-rates/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    good news, Trump is keeping us safe from former goal scorers:

http://www.espnfc.us/english-premier...mp-on-passport

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    good news, Trump is keeping us safe from former goal scorers:

http://www.espnfc.us/english-premier...mp-on-passport
    Guess anyone participating in the Wrestling World Cup right now, including the US team, aren't allowed to enter.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    AP Exclusive: DHS weighed Nat Guard for immigration roundups

The White House distanced itself Friday from a Department of Homeland Security draft proposal to use the National Guard to round up unauthorized immigrants, but lawmakers said the do ent offers insight into the Trump administration's internal efforts to enact its promised crackdown on illegal immigration.

Administration officials said the proposal, which called for mobilizing up to 100,000 troops in 11 states, was rejected, and would not be part of plans to carry out President Donald Trump's aggressive immigration policy.

If implemented, the National Guard idea, contained in an 11-page memo (http://apne.ws/2l1Dj0k ) obtained by The Associated Press, could have led to enforcement action against millions of immigrants living nowhere near the Mexican border.

Four states that border on Mexico were included in the proposal — California, Arizona, New Mexico and Texas — but it also encompassed seven states contiguous to those four — Oregon, Nevada, Utah, Colorado, Oklahoma, Arkansas and Louisiana.

http://www.sfgate.com/news/texas/art...n-10940284.php

No word on whether Trash's ShutzStaffel would be wearing special Brown Shirts for the occasion.

Thread Information