Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Totally unnecesary and puts all the people involved in an absolute no win scenario. Scarface is just too impregnated in pop culture. No matter how well they do it, phrases/scenes like "say o to my little friend" and "say good night to the bad guy" will never be succesfully duplicated.
    And the complex pay back scene is one for the ages. It's gloriously long, but, it needed to be, and so they took their time and did it right. Even "Ernie" is respected there and accounted for. And he plays it splendidly. At first look you don't even think to account for him. Eh, just walk away and end it. Leave him there, the audience won't care. Uh, uh. They walked away then stopped and made the accounting. Selflessly they let "Ernie" end the scene instead of a "star."

---

And the banker scene, the guy is a classic WASP. Makes you feel good to see him. Settles the film. And Montana is at ease here, kibitzing over dollars & cents. Asks after Montana's wife:::"How's the princess, she's beautiful." Montana takes no offence because where once he saw her as "princess" he's got the boodle/coke on the brain now.

---

And the mother scene, where she kicks him out of the house. You can see it coming a mile away, but, when you get there this actor pulled it off. She is incensed at this son. And blocks him physically from his sister. She out performs Pacino there! & maybe he knew that in order for the scene to soar he had to dull himself. Eh, at least I hope so because the scene is awesome.

adolis is altuve’s father monosylab1k's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    College
    USC Trojans
    Sound was in it's infancy, Har. Background noise that plagued "talkies" early on is there, but I think the 1st has stood up.

Even the incest was lodged thru Muni's facials.
    I think he was referring to the incredibly ty Pacino version, the one nobody liked until rappers in the 90's talked about it like it was ing Citizen Kane.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    College
    USC Trojans
    Pacino has had literally one good performance since Dog Day Afternoon. He was great in You Don't Know Jack. Aside from that, he was mediocre in Heat, and that's the best I can say about him. The only performance of his worse than Scarface is probably Scent Of A Woman. He is one of the worst actors of the past 40 years, yet gets treated like a god for being pretty great in the 70's.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Pacino has had literally one good performance since Dog Day Afternoon. He was great in You Don't Know Jack. Aside from that, he was mediocre in Heat, and that's the best I can say about him. The only performance of his worse than Scarface is probably Scent Of A Woman. He is one of the worst actors of the past 40 years, yet gets treated like a god for being pretty great in the 70's.
    I thought he was OK in Insomnia .

He is best when his characters unravels and turns into a maniac.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Colorado Buffaloes
    Idk about a remake. They should focus on present day drug trade and make an el chapo themed movie or griselda blanco.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    I thought he did well in "Scent." Sure, it is a preposterous set up, but, he was quite dynamic thru the 2 hours.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    College
    USC Trojans
    Idk about a remake. They should focus on present day drug trade and make an el chapo themed movie or griselda blanco.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    This

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    College
    USC Trojans
    I thought he did well in "Scent." Sure, it is a preposterous set up, but, he was quite dynamic thru the 2 hours.
    I thought it was his usual over-the-top bull and reliance on catchphrases. I probably hate it more than necessary because he actually won awards for it.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    College
    USC Trojans
    I thought he was OK in Insomnia .

When it's organic and under control, yes. But one day Pacino replaced that skill of his with just ranting and raving like a madman every second he's on screen, and it forever ruined him.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I can't really recall any Pacino movies that I enjoyed other than Godfather 1/2 and Heat, tbh..Carlito's Way was alright, too, I suppose..

I'm not a big fan of drug movies anymore, though..most attempts at drug/gangster movies are corny and forced IMO..

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    I can't really recall any Pacino movies that I enjoyed other than Godfather 1/2 and Heat, tbh..Carlito's Way was alright, too, I suppose..

I'm not a big fan of drug movies anymore, though..most attempts at drug/gangster movies are corny and forced IMO..
    [Heat] is good though Pacino looks exhausted there, burnt out like a crispy critter. Like he looked in [Glengarry.]

I found [Carlito's Way] maddening. And I've tried it at least 3 times.

Banned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Al Pacino at it's worst.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    dog day afternoon

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    dog day afternoon
    Very tedious, Clammy.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Very tedious, Clammy.
    won't argue with that, but it was raw in a good way.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    won't argue with that, but it was raw in a good way.
    Years later it has a Tarantino feel to it.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    I didn't think Pacino was that great in the 70s. Godfather 1 was all Brando and every time I watch Godfather 2 I get disappointed when it switches from a DeNiro scene to a Pacino one. Scarface though was more on his talent level tbh.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    But I liked the 1983 Scarface. It was stupid and Pacino's bad accent and ridiculous speeches made you treat it like a comic book instead of some kind of serious story like all the rappers mono is talking about tried to make it. I hated the Paul Muni original which was so preachy, especially the scene when Super Mario gave that speech about Muni's character making hardworking Italians look bad.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    But I liked the 1983 Scarface. It was stupid and Pacino's bad accent and ridiculous speeches made you treat it like a comic book instead of some kind of serious story like all the rappers mono is talking about tried to make it. I hated the Paul Muni original which was so preachy, especially the scene when Super Mario gave that speech about Muni's character making hardworking Italians look bad.
    That describes it, but, doesn't explain it's rampant appeal.

---

The structure & intent of F. Murray's character. The moment of absolute certainty never arrives almost 35 years later.

- "Because Sosa's says so?" - He's so convincing that it sets you back in your seat while watching it, or, afterward considering it.

Thread Information