Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is a massive week for Kawhi's MVP case: SA plays HOU tonight, then OKC and GS later in the week.
    Damn, didn't notice that.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    with a good week for the Spurs, the narrative will take a full 180 degrees when it comes to the MVP. The "who is going to win the le" narrative could look completely different come this time next week.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Records matter in the MVP equation...in which if the Spurs would've had the best record all year Kawhi would've been in the headlines regarding MVP awhile ago. Only reason its getting traction now is he's on the Warriors heels and the media can't ignore it.

Like when Nash won it on a 54-win team, when there were two 60 win teams in the Western Conference, and one in the East? Of course records matter. So do stats, and highlight reel plays, market size, and fan favorites. And the narrative. This year, there's a guy AVERAGING a freaking triple-double. There's nothing the new NBA (which you say you don't understand) would like more than a narrative like that. They can talk about this being one of the great NBA seasons of all time, and bring up Oscar Robertson, and a bunch of similar . It's made-for-TV.

Your question was whether winning a few more home games at the beginning of the season, and Pau not getting injured, would have changed the MVP narrative. If you don't want opinions, don't ing ask. You have an opinion, and I have an opinion. Let it go at that. We'll see soon enough who was right.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think it's unfair to say that Kawhi would have gotten a lot more MVP buzz from the get go had the Spurs been the number 1 team in the league since the beginning, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So you don't think the Spurs having a better record than the Warriors for majority of season doesn't change the narrative?

Spurs record might not change it, but THAT performance head-to-head with Harden damn sure could. That was an MVP caliber performance in anybody's book.

I'll be happy to be wrong about this one.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs record might not change it, but THAT performance head-to-head with Harden damn sure could. That was an MVP caliber performance in anybody's book.

I'll be happy to be wrong about this one.
    That block might be the difference.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People have forgotten that Tim retired and the Spurs are still great bc of Kawhi.

Shhhh... I'll be gentle. TheDoctor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Nah, man Ross or Harden for MV..."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Check the schedule for the rest of the season tbh

The 6th is coming... will_spurs's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That game is going to leave a mark.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is a massive week for Kawhi's MVP case: SA plays HOU tonight, then OKC and GS later in the week.
    Well if he has two more performances like tonight, he could step right to the top of nearly everybody's list. The way he's played in the last several games, he's just doing whatever it takes - literally - to keep his team from losing. That's what an MVP does, and has to do.

There was a possession before that 3 where Kawhi just made it clear he wasn't going to be denied. Everyone on the floor knew he was coming, and he still shoved it up their ass. Throw in that incredible block, and that's just super-elite play at both ends of the floor.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well if he has two more performances like tonight, he could step right to the top of nearly everybody's list. The way he's played in the last several games, he's just doing whatever it takes - literally - to keep his team from losing. That's what an MVP does, and has to do.

There was a possession before that 3 where Kawhi just made it clear he wasn't going to be denied. Everyone on the floor knew he was coming, and he still shoved it up their ass. Throw in that incredible block, and that's just super-elite play at both ends of the floor.
    Nobody expected Kawhi to be this good.... nobody.

With that said, as good as he's been, I've still had my little doubts about him. Not about being really good, but being next level superstar good, even after everything he's done. I was just looking for that "it" kinda deal. Tonight took those doubts away. He dug deep and just refused to let his team lose on both ends.

I have no words man.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nobody expected Kawhi to be this good.... nobody.

With that said, as good as he's been, I've still had my little doubts about him. Not about being really good, but being next level superstar good, even after everything he's done. I was just looking for that "it" kinda deal. Tonight took those doubts away. He dug deep and just refused to let his team lose on both ends.

I have no words man.

I'm about to give it a rest for the night, but you hit on something I was thinking about. You remember the '14 Finals when Kawhi won MVP. He wasn't under-rated before that so much as he just literally took a big step up.

I think he's done it again in the last week or however long it's been. He'd steadily improved since then. But this last few games, he's just become one of those rare guys who can just put a whole team on his back and refuse to lose. He was a top 3-4 player this year, without any question. But this thing we've seen recently is something different, and a step into another orbit.

I know some people will disagree and say he's been this good all season. But this is more than just great play. He's been taking hopeless games and turning them into W's by dominating both ends of the floor. To me, it really feels like the leap he took in '14, which is scary.

Edit: Give credit where it's due. FkLA's thread about him being the closest thing to Jordan was right. Maybe he just saw it sooner.
    Last edited by GSH; 03-07-2017 at 12:09 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

The 6th is coming... will_spurs's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know some people will disagree and say he's been this good all season. But this is more than just great play. He's been taking hopeless games and turning them into W's by dominating both ends of the floor. To me, it really feels like the leap he took in '14, which is scary.
    I feel the same. The last few games were just all close victories from behind with Kawhi willing his team to a win. He's a lot more confident and assertive than he used to be, that's for sure. That 3 to win the game tonight was just clutch AF, then the block.

He also had some games where he would disappear or at least his presence wouldn't really be felt. The string of 30+ points games just shows he's moved on to another level.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Ziller is one of the best NBA writers out there..
    Last edited by spursistan; 03-07-2017 at 01:08 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs are 8-1 vs BOS/GSW/HOU/OKC/CLE

Kawhi averages in those games: 30.8 PPG/5.8 RPG/ 3.6 APG/ 2.1 SPG

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wow

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    real mvp

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Such a narrative, recency-bias driven award ..Kawhi certainly garnered a lot of votes last night..

PS..D Wade is real and always been Kawhi fan..remember him giving props to Leonard in his post-2013 Finals press conference..
    Last edited by spursistan; 03-07-2017 at 02:12 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

scream this from the housetops, NO ONE is mentioning this!!!

Shhhh... I'll be gentle. TheDoctor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Such a narrative, recency-bias driven award ..Kawhi certainly garnered a lot of votes last night..

PS..D Wade is real and always been Kawhi fan..remember him giving props to Leonard in his post-2013 Finals press conference..
    So true, Twitter literally exploded. It felt like a virtual euphoric New Years Eve party. The love for Kawhi and the Spurs was something else.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That game is going to leave a mark.
    I hope so, but marks can be erased. OKC and the Dubs can be big erasers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Very Impressive.

Thread Information