Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Really disheartning that this schtick and Narrative has gotten so overboad and out of hand...

You would think Greg Popvich would actually do something about this, but he's too buys praising himself and talking about Trump for some minority points.

At no point in any of the Duncan years was popvich even close to Duncan level of importance as far as competing goes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Casual mainstream vanilla New Age these are all ways I would describe you

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Meh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Top 5 all time tbh. If advanced metrics were prevalent from the start of his career, he would have won 5 DPOY awards

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Really disheartning that this schtick and Narrative has gotten so overboad and out of hand...

You would think Greg Popvich would actually do something about this, but he's too buys praising himself and talking about Trump for some minority points.

At no point in any of the Duncan years was popvich even close to Duncan level of importance as far as competing goes.
    -What's Pop going to say? Is he going to call a press conference to bash the media for no reason?
    - Pop has repeatedly talked about Duncan's greatness and his legacy. He talks up all his stars.
    - He got asked about Trump and said his opinion, which wasn't wrong. You're essentially acting like the "stick to sports" guy with that comment.
    -I work with Laker/Kobe fans, who have repeatedly said the same thing, it's annoying but I get back by calling Kobe "Pippen" to Shaq and watching them lose it.
    -People think that Leonard is a system player, those people repeat talking points without actually watching and forming their own opinion's, they're morons.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Top 5 all time tbh. If advanced metrics were prevalent from the start of his career, he would have won 5 DPOY awards
    +1

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hate that as well, but......
    Pop actually always credits everything to Tim there's nothing else he can do

vanilla mainstream fans going to vanilla mainstream fan

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Marcus Camby
    Ben Wallace x 4
    Joakim Noah

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They're in the same level of who say that pop is a bad coach. Bunch of gots.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fake News

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The russians what to know. Who?Where?When?How?Why?

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    SAD!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I suppose he could be called a system player--if you consider that the system was built around him and he made the system work for 16 seasons. 18 if you allow for the abbreviated 50 game season. Now it's true we are going to extend our record this year without Duncan, but we'd have to go another 15 years to prove he was just an ordinary part of the machine that is the Spurs system. As some other players and coaches see it ( http://www.nba.com/2015/news/feature...easons-in-nba/)

Their elite level streak of 50-plus win seasons has far outrun history's other great NBA dynasties -- Bill Russell's Celtics (1959-68), the Lakers of Magic Johnson and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (1980-90), Larry Bird's Celtics (1980-88) and Michael Jordan's Chicago Bulls (1990-93, '96-98). Even if Jordan had not walked away to take a swing at baseball, Chicago's longest string would have been nine seasons.
    "I just don't know that we're ever going to see something like this happening again," Harper said.
    "I used to say the 33-game winning streak of the Lakers was the most unbreakable record in the game," Van Gundy said. "But hey, the Heat got to 27. Now I'm convinced this one by the Spurs will never be touched."

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

This.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop has stated on numerous occasions that without Timmy he wouldn't have won a thing tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop has stated on numerous occasions that without Timmy he wouldn't have won a thing tbh.
    Tim Duncan was the system. It allowed Pop to tinker and be an ass and still win rings. Pop's still tinkering but he no longer has Duncan back there to make up for the dumb coaching.

I give him and the FO all the credit in the world for identifying great players and for creating a winning environment that doesn't tolerate bull .

But without Duncan, no one's talking about Pop. And without Jordan, we're probably not talking about Phil either. 90% of the time, rings go to a team with a transcendent player.

My Team
    Golden State Warriors
    Post Count
    you have to be a huge homer to think Duncan wasnt helped by the system

Replace him with KG or Webber or any good big and Spurs still have 5

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

The system came in to place partially because of the player Duncan was. If KD or Webber was that player, I don't think that system works as well. And maybe not at all. You think KD or Webber would put up with Pop?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Dangerous words on this site, my friend, because apart from all the Duncan fans, you're implying that the Spurs system as invented and employed by Pop is the main reason for 5 championships. This gives Pop all the credit over Duncan.

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    Probably the same casual mainstream new age fans that think 90% of the players from the 80's and 90's couldn't play in today's no touch league where the average nba player is more coddled and babied than in any other era of professional basketball.

Chillin' like a villain... TampaDude's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, Tim was a system player...he WAS the system!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also, not enough credit for RC Buford, who would do the majority of the scouting. Drafting key role players late in the 1st round like Tiago, George Hill and even ones who went onto be good ones with opportunities on other teams like CoJo & Mahinmi, trading for Kawhi, which now looks even better with Bertans. Signing D League guys like Danny & even limited players like Belinelli & Neal for virtually nothing but were still able to contribute. On top of this trading Rasho to Bonner as he could see the way the league was heading with spacing and signing crafty guys like Oberto who was mobile enough to guard both 4's & 5's & of course, Patty. Lucky to have such a good GM as well as the best leader and most unselfish star.
    Last edited by Down Under; 02-17-2017 at 08:39 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He is the system, player

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You are right, he was a stat padder

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Meh, in twenty years your anti Spurs propaganda will die and all will stand is the 5 championships. Also, you lost in The Finals

Thread Information