Veteran
    My Team
    Atlanta Hawks
    Post Count
    https://larrybrownsports.com/basketb...ers-job/352597

Marc J. Spears of The Undefeated spoke to eight high-ranking black NBA executives who, while not bitter toward Pelinka or Magic Johnson, were disappointed to not even get the opportunity to interview for the general manager position.

“It’s always done in private and way in advance,” one high-ranking black executive said of the Pelinka hire. “We got no shot once the news breaks.”

Another executive admitted they were “surprised” to hear of the hire.

The executives largely pointed to Pelinka’s influence with Kobe Bryant as the reason he got the job with no compe ion.

“Los Angeles has always been about hype,” another high-ranking black NBA team executive said. “Kobe obviously had influence in getting Pelinka pushed through the door.”

“I heard that this was coming,” added another. “He has a real connection with Kobe.”

For black executives, they don’t feel en led to jobs like the Lakers’ GM position, but they’d like a fair shot at interviewing for them – a shot many feel they don’t get.

“Nothing surprises me in this business,” one black executive said. “Analytic guys getting jobs. Coaches being named executives. Now it’s the agents’ turn. Everyone except the people who have the practical basketball experience are getting shots.”

Pelinka was hired very abruptly on Tuesday, the same day Johnson was named Lakers president. Since the NBA has nothing like the NFL’s Rooney Rule, they were able to install Pelinka immediately – much to the chagrin of some qualified candidates.
    Last edited by JohnnyMax; 02-23-2017 at 04:53 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    According to this article, it's specifically Black former players..shouldn't be surprising, though, as I wouldn't hire a former player to run my team, either (I usually drop the racism card, but in this case, I think it's just a matter of s being the majority in the NBA, thus producing more ex-players aspiring to be GMs)

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's also Magic's decision, not Kobe, so that should be irrelevant, even if Kobe lobbied for his guy..

Everybody knows Kobe hates the sight of Black people and his spirit dies a little every time he looks in the mirror(also part of the reason he hates his parents), but this is a bait article..

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    According to this article, it's specifically Black former players..shouldn't be surprising, though, as I wouldn't hire a former player to run my team, either (I usually drop the racism card, but in this case, I think it's just a matter of s being the majority in the NBA, thus producing more ex-players aspiring to be GMs)
    Agreed. Best hire should be priority....
    Hard to claim race when Magic was just given control of one of the biggest teams in all sports ...
    Someone salty about analytic guys,getting GM jobs ...
    Last edited by Killakobe81; 02-23-2017 at 07:19 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ya, Lakers aren't a franchise I would throw those accusations at, right now..a woman and a gay Black man running their franchise, that's pretty progressive, tbh..only team in NBA history where the people running the show are probably ranking their players in order of who they would rather ..

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Ya, Lakers aren't a franchise I would throw those accusations at, right now..a woman and a gay Black man running their franchise, that's pretty progressive, tbh..only team in NBA history where the people running the show are probably ranking their players in order of who they would rather ..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Former star player shouldn't be hired because of antiquated like this..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pippen also said LeBron is better than MJ

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Harlem going in ITT, his finest moment in some time

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's also Magic's decision, not Kobe, so that should be irrelevant, even if Kobe lobbied for his guy..

Everybody knows Kobe hates the sight of Black people and his spirit dies a little every time he looks in the mirror(also part of the reason he hates his parents), but this is a bait article..
    I lol'ed

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pippen also said LeBron is better than MJ
    Pippen was right. Imagine if Lebron had Pippen and the rest of MJ's crew. Close call but Lebron has aspects of his abilities and game Mike didn't. Mike just had the will to win, moreso than any player today and don't be fooled by RW's slave rage forays down the paint. Those are for show, aren't going to win anything and could have kept at least one of the two other superstars who left because they couldn't get the ball.

Thread Information