My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I imagine the biggest factor is that they have to feed Gamestop, amazon, best buy etc because we know cutting ghe middle-man can result in fewer console sales..

But is Amazon, and Gamestop really needed? Can't they just focus on shops that would be more than happy with just selling hardware and brand new sotware? The local wal-marts here for example barely even sell used games so you can bet they would be willing to sell those consoles even if Sony or Microsoft decides to go full digit.

How about just selling consoles directly from their own website instead of amazon?

I would love for developers to just get all the profit. Also would be great since erasing the middle-man in hardware copies means cheaper digital copies.

I'm sure these companies would love to lower digital copies, but can't do so because of the preasure put by retailers.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Amazon already sell games digitallly.

Pretty soon they'll switch to it. They are just gradually doing it instead of going full re and yanking the chain all at once.

That's not what's going to finish off Gamestop though. They have been on a downward spiral for a couple of years with their absolute greediness.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't kid yourself into thinking games will be reduced in price if sold exclusively through digital download. Physical media will eventually be a thing of the past though, and Gamestop will go the way of Blockbuster Video. Even today it's hard to justify spending money in that store when their used copy of a game is more expensive than a brand new copy at Walmart.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't kid yourself into thinking games will be reduced in price if sold exclusively through digital download. Physical media will eventually be a thing of the past though, and Gamestop will go the way of Blockbuster Video. Even today it's hard to justify spending money in that store when their used copy of a game is more expensive than a brand new copy at Walmart.
    Gamestop is only useful for getting old used games somewhere I can look at the disc before I buy (I hate buying used games off ebay or amazon). Eg I buy some PS3 games there, as Playstation Store doesn't carry some of the old games I wanted, but I almost never buy a PS4 game there. I also bought my PS3 there dirt cheap.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We're already all digital on PC. It's nice not to need to buy DVD drives any more. But I'm not looking forward to the day when all digital becomes all streaming.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's not what's going to finish off Gamestop though. They have been on a downward spiral for a couple of years with their absolute greediness.
    I feel bad for the people working there. They're forced to push those rewards cards and extended warranties hard, but I still buy there when they have a used game I want at a good price.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wonder if consoles are going to move to a model where only collector's editions of games get physical releases. And you'd need a collector's edition of the console, since the regular one would be called PS5 Digital or something and have no blu ray drive.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wonder if consoles are going to move to a model where only collector's editions of games get physical releases. And you'd need a collector's edition of the console, since the regular one would be called PS5 Digital or something and have no blu ray drive.
    That would be such an epic fail.

No blu ray on a Sony console? I cant even think of it.

They should probably stop making any more consoles and go the windows 10 route. Just keep improving the hardware every 3-4 years from now on.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As the internet becomes more accessible and reliable i'm afraid hard copy's will be a thing of the past as time goes on.

Have any of you watched "10 cloverfield lane" movie?

Don't want to spoil it for you but it's situations like that when you wish you had hard copys of games ect.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When downloading doesn't take forever on a console tbh. My connection probably just sucks but I bought ESO yesterday and there's a 42gb update and that is still downloading today

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    ElNono Is your ass at GDC 2017? I see a bunch of fat nerds in GDC t-shirts strutting around my block near Moscone Center tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ElNono Is your ass at GDC 2017? I see a bunch of fat nerds in GDC t-shirts strutting around my block near Moscone Center tbh
    Nah... I'll be at PAX in 10 days though...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nah... I'll be at PAX in 10 days though...
    What are those shows like? While looking it up I see there is a yearly one in San Antonio.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can you snatch me a 1080 Ti from there bro?

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    Can you snatch me a 1080 Ti from there bro?
    Bruh it would go straight into my mini-ITX tbh.

Where's my GTX 970 settlement money

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What are those shows like? While looking it up I see there is a yearly one in San Antonio.
    It's gonna be my first time at PAX, so I'll tell you about it afterwards, tbh

PSX was actually a lot of fun last year for a numbers of reasons... are you still in LA? I might be hitting E3 later down the year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gamestop is only useful for getting old used games somewhere I can look at the disc before I buy (I hate buying used games off ebay or amazon). Eg I buy some PS3 games there, as Playstation Store doesn't carry some of the old games I wanted, but I almost never buy a PS4 game there. I also bought my PS3 there dirt cheap.
    Yeah, was thinking about that afterward. I've bought quite a few older games in there for $10 or less. Not sure what their profit margin is on games like that though and if it'll be enough to keep them afloat.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, was thinking about that afterward. I've bought quite a few older games in there for $10 or less. Not sure what their profit margin is on games like that though and if it'll be enough to keep them afloat.
    I think what's going to kill Gamestop is their over saturation of the market. I have 20 within about a 15 mile radius of me. Probably the only way they can stay in business is to have a single person working for $8 an hour running the place.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's gonna be my first time at PAX, so I'll tell you about it afterwards, tbh

PSX was actually a lot of fun last year for a numbers of reasons... are you still in LA? I might be hitting E3 later down the year.
    Nope, not in LA any more or I would have taken you to the house after Playstation Experience tbh. Man the Playstation E3 presentation is going to be epic this year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think what's going to kill Gamestop is their over saturation of the market. I have 20 within about a 15 mile radius of me. Probably the only way they can stay in business is to have a single person working for $8 an hour running the place.
    1604 and 281. There are two of them in the same general shopping center.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1604 and 281. There are two of them in the same general shopping center.
    LOL they're selling Dark Souls III for PS4 for $20 new. And $28 used.

http://www.gamestop.com/ps4/games/dark-souls-iii/129246

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tha

Thread Information