Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I love how the NBA and beat writers looked for excuses to explain Green calling Dolan a slave master. Then Igudola opens his mouth and now everyone has to come up with a way to rationalize his statements. If anyone in the media had the balls to call out players for these stupid statements, I would think is world wasn't going to complete .
    Agreed that both were stupid, but people have to use common sense to. I highly doubt Iguodala was literally saying playing in the NBA is akin to being a slave. People should focus less on the analogy and more on the point, which was: even though the schedule has gotten slightly better in recent seasons and minutes have been cut back some, the league has been running their athletes into the ground since it's inception and the fact that used to do it even more so and the players make so much more today, doesn't make doing so today (when so much more is known about the effects) right.

Most things have advanced or changed altogether, but basketball isn't supposed to? Imagine if everything in life essentially amounted to "it wasn't like that in my day".

As far as Van Gundy, his incessant complaining ran it's course long ago. If him, Barkley and all the other hypocrites who get paid hefty salaries to talk about the league, are so disgusted by it, then quit. They rail on about professionalism, only to constantly go off on tangents, many of which are off topic.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The starters leaving the bench for the second half was a crass move no matter the agenda. You stay out there and support your teammates no matter if you're mad at the league, your coach or feeling embarrassed that losing to thhe Spurs is beneath you. It shows an elitist divide between the "haves" and "have nots" on that team.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hope so. It highlights just how out of touch and ignorant some of these guys are. Equating the league and it's scheduling to slavery is a joke. Slaves weren't paid millions and treated like spoiled brats. These guys have no understanding of slavery if they think the NBA schedule is anything like that. The people that make the schedule make far less than the players and the association provides a platform for players to make millions and unionize when they disagree with team owners. How many people on this earth would be willing to play 4 games in 5 nights to make millions? Not saying there isn't a gripe in all this, but stop with these lazy slavery comparisons that aren't remotely legit.
    Right? Poor guys have to suffer 10-15 years of "slave labor" (that they chose to do and could stop at any point if they wanted to) to make enough money where they can retire in their mid 30s and be set for life (assuming they aren't complete idiots with their money) and unlike Football most of them aren't stuck with concussion issues or the severe injuries that completely their body up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yep. Tough to rebuild with the draft when you've traded all your picks away.
    If only they had any picks

Traded several picks to Utah to get rid of Jefferson and other trash so they could sign Iggy (who may wind up leaving in FA)

They don't have a pick this year and their bench could be either really young and inexperienced, old and washed, or a combo of both next season as a result.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They didn't talk about it enough. The problem is severe and needs to be talked about until something is done about it.
    lol they spent the whole game whining about it instead of calling the game

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pretty much the best comment in this thread so far. Worriers will still easily win the West.
    Kiss of death.

Goodbye GS.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    warriors, drama more and implode more,

and have more injuries,

expand your pathetic lives gs

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    warriors, drama more and implode more,

and have more injuries,

expand your pathetic lives gs
    Im done with GSWs drama. Im ready for all teams to be 100%, mentally and physically, and "lets see what happens", as Timmy D would say.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The dismissal of and overconfidence against the Warriors in this forum is incredible.

Pre-Durant injury, some advanced metrics had them ranked as the greatest team in NBA history. Now they go through a rough stretch in their schedule without their leading scorer and predictably lose some games, and now people are acting like they're less of a threat than the Clippers?

Durant will be back by the playoffs and the Warriors will be favored over the Spurs in a 7-game series even if we do get home court advantage. Sorry to break it to you, but that's the reality.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The dismissal of and overconfidence against the Warriors in this forum is incredible.

Pre-Durant injury, some advanced metrics had them ranked as the greatest team in NBA history. Now they go through a rough stretch in their schedule without their leading scorer and predictably lose some games, and now people are acting like they're less of a threat than the Clippers?

Durant will be back by the playoffs and the Warriors will be favored over the Spurs in a 7-game series even if we do get home court advantage. Sorry to break it to you, but that's the reality.
    Says the dude who was making those threads about how the Spurs should have been the le favorites last year due to their metrics...

The Warriors are not the same match-up problem for the Spurs as a healthy and clicking Clippers team is. any numbers that suggest otherwise. GS is great when healthy and in sync because they have so much talent, but the path to beat them is much, much clearer. Now with the legit possibilities that a) Durant won't be 100 percent in the playoffs and b) the Spurs will have HCA and an easier half of the bracket and you scenarios which most models aren't predicting.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Says the dude who was making those threads about how the Spurs should have been the le favorites last year due to their metrics...

The Warriors are not the same match-up problem for the Spurs as a healthy and clicking Clippers team is. any numbers that suggest otherwise. GS is great when healthy and in sync because they have so much talent, but the path to beat them is much, much clearer. Now with the legit possibilities that a) Durant won't be 100 percent in the playoffs and b) the Spurs will have HCA and an easier half of the bracket and you scenarios which most models aren't predicting.
    How in the world would we match-up better against GSW than the Clippers? Against the Warriors Gasol will almost be unplayable, Parker will be roasted against both teams, we will be unable to defend the P&R's from both of them, but Warriors are a much better shooting team, the only advantage the Clippers is having is their better rebounding and physicality, but GSW is better in every other aspect.
    The Clippers fear is overvalued in this board, and while we don't match up with them particularly good, they got 2 non-offensive player in the SL, and Dedmon and Lee should mask most of their front-line advantage, while Parker (in his recent form) is a liability against every single team, but more favorable to be hidden on Re than on Thompson...

If GSW will be back to at least 75% of what they had before the Durant injury, no one is beating them this year, and they would likely wreck is in 5.

And yeah, from the West, the Clippers match-up with them the best. That would be a series to watch, therefore I would prefer us to have the second seed and play the Grizz-Rockets rather than the Nuggets/Blaizers-Clippers.
    Last edited by szkorhetz; 03-13-2017 at 07:50 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How in the world would we match-up better against GSW than the Clippers?
    Because they aren't the same type of teams at all? What the Spurs do well is something GS is weak to but LAC isn't. Being a good/bad match-up and being a better/worse team are two different things. MKE is a horrible match-up for GS, but they'd probably sweep them.

Against the Warriors Gasol will almost be unplayable Parker will be roasted against both teams, we will be unable to defend the P&R's from both of them
    None of this is true. The Warriors are not going to get out of their offense to start feature Zaza "abusing" Pau. Nor will they worry about exploiting Parker. If they do either of those things, the Spurs will win. Having weak points in your D is perfectly fine if you know what they are beforehand.

Warriors are a much better shooting team, the only advantage the Clippers is having is their better rebounding and physicality, but GSW is better in every other aspect.
    The Clippers have a much better bench, a better PG (especially this year), a better center and generally a front court that will be much harder to exploit than GS'. There isn't really a clear path to beating them, despite the Spurs being a better team. What's the strategy, to just "be better" than them?

The Clippers fear is overvalued in this board, and while we don't match up with them particularly good, they got 2 non-offensive player in the SL,
    Jordan would be the third-leading scorer on the Spurs this year.

and Dedmon and Lee should mask most of their front-line advantage

Whereas they'd be a huge plus against GS.

, while Parker (in his recent form) is a liability against every single team.
    I actually think Tony will be fine. The extent to which he's a liability (especially defensively) massively overstated.

Chillin' like a villain... TampaDude's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The games aren't played on paper. Let's see what happens.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It was getting a little old with the commentators trying to tell us how to feel about resting the starters. Sure make a point about it but move on. I felt like they were trying to brainwash me.
    YES!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think there's a combination of things going on...

1) Durant injury is really putting a dark cloud over the team. When the diagnosis came out I immediately thought it was a 6-8 week injury. He will be re-evaluated in 4 weeks people assumed he'd be ok.. but I just don't think there's any way he's back in 4 weeks. They know they have ZERO chance winning a le without him and with the "unknown" lurking over then it could really put people on edge. Memphis being the 7th seed is BAD NEWS for them if they fall to #2 seed.

2) Curry lost his super powers..Curry just isn't the same player anymore. I dunno if he can get it back but he's just not putting fear into opponents..he's not the best or 2nd best player in the world anymore..he's more like the 10th who takes bad shots, can t defend and still turns it over. All his flaws in his game are rising to the top. He was the 2x MVP but now is s guy who won't get a single vote this year..

3) The long term plan has a chance to blow up in their faces...Winning cures all. But if the Warriors fail to win the le they'll be the biggest failure in sports..and that's following lasts years 3-1 hashtag. I think it's pretty obvious the transiston hasn't been smooth as we see what's starting to happen when they're losing. I think EVERYONE expected them to win it this year so the following offseason would be easy..again winning cures all. But if they FAIL this year I dunno how this offseason goes down and to me it'd seem harder to fix all the warts.

Hopefully LMA thing was just a scare and wasn't serious..because KD getting hurt not only affects this season..but the next couple of years as well..
    Last edited by coachmac87; 03-13-2017 at 10:21 AM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Curry is still a great player, but he was on a historical run. Even the great Tim Duncan never replicated his 2003 year, though he had many superb seasons after 2003. LeBron isn't duplicating his best year, but he's still having great years. Kawhi may never replicate what he has done this season, but I think he'll still have great seasons, and who knows, maybe he'll have one that dwarfs this season.

My point is that while Curry is great, he's not going to play like he did last year for the next five years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Curry is still a great player, but he was on a historical run. Even the great Tim Duncan never replicated his 2003 year, though he had many superb seasons after 2003. LeBron isn't duplicating his best year, but he's still having great years. Kawhi may never replicate what he has done this season, but I think he'll still have great seasons, and who knows, maybe he'll have one that dwarfs this season.

My point is that while Curry is great, he's not going to play like he did last year for the next five years.
    Good points. It must sting they didn't ring last season.
    I hope Kawhis best is yet to come as he's still young... seems incredible. But one cannot take these seasons for granted.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sports fans are so bipolar, tbh

This forum goes back and forth between the Spurs being a first round exit one week, and then subsequently believing they're going to beat the Warriors in the playoffs the following week..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Those same metrics are the reason why I'm picking the Warriors over the Spurs this year.

I hope I'm wrong, of course.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sports fans are so bipolar, tbh

This forum goes back and forth between the Spurs being a first round exit one week, and then subsequently believing they're going to beat the Warriors in the playoffs the following week..
    I've had Spurs up all year dude.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dubs can't shake the 6ers right now, they still look shook. Maybe more rest is needed!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Watching the Warriors is fascinating right now. The confidence is gone. They have trouble slowing down a fairly bad team in Philly -- over 50 points at the half.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Saric is the real deal. If Philly can keep him and Simmons together, they'll have a tremendous forward duo. Add in Covington, and they have the horses to run with GS.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Zero swagger, Zeke asking Draymond if they are scared of the Spur's to his face. Reporter asking Curry if he is in a slump. They are front running bullies who no one is scared of anymore. They are Suge Knight.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Saric is the real deal. If Philly can keep him and Simmons together, they'll have a tremendous forward duo. Add in Covington, and they have the horses to run with GS.
    yeah... i'm not exactly sure how those 3 really play together, though. but yes the talent is there, and covington has really surpassed expectations this year. throw in a healthy embiid and thats much more imposing than "det core" ever was

Thread Information