Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gn6X7dKfn8Y @ 55:35

He says it as if he's just spit balling, so maybe this is nothing, but oftentimes when he throws things out like that, it's because he's heard it around the league. In addition, a few times this season he's brought up Mills and his free agency, but to the best of my knowledge, this was his first time mentioning this, so I tend to think he's heard something.

It wouldn't surprise me if they have some sort of understanding based on their projection of what he'll get, but his agent and him would obviously want to see if he get's something significantly better first before making a decision.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mills is trashgarbage his best move is to just give up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Could someone give the Cliffs Notes version of what Lowe said? Thanks, would be much appreciated.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Could someone give the Cliffs Notes version of what Lowe said? Thanks, would be much appreciated.
    Just made a passing comment in the context of a conversation about whether or not NO should commit to Jrue Holiday as their PG. Basically Lowe says that the gap between Mills and the next best FA PG is so huge that NO can't bank on signing him, because if the Spurs have a "secret plan" that would take him off the market, NO would be left without a starting caliber PG. It was a hypothetical. Nothing to see here.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They can't pay everyone. If Jawun Evans is there when the Spurs pick in the draft, as he's currently projected, draft him. Dedmon should be the top priority in free agency.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    hmmmmmmmm

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They can't pay everyone. If Jawun Evans is there when the Spurs pick in the draft, as he's currently projected, draft him. Dedmon should be the top priority in free agency.
    You could easily do an escalator on their contracts after next year when Parker''s contract comes off the books. Smaller amount next year, bigger amounts the following years. I think he'd like to stay but for the potential to start somewhere else.

Otherwise I think he'd like to stay.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You could easily do an escalator on their contracts after next year when Parker''s contract comes off the books.
    You actually can't do that in the NBA. Mills can only see his salary increase by eight percent from one year to another.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You actually can't do that in the NBA. Mills can only see his salary increase by eight percent from one year to another.
    Can we offer him a Boban like contract?

181. Boban Marjanovic $5,628,000 $5,881,260 $9,490,740

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

No, Patty's been in the league too many years. That tactic only works with guys who are RFAs in outer years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The conversation was more about New Orleans than the Spurs. Lowe was just throwing out scenario if Holiday left NOP and said they may be out of luck because no top FA PG is going to New Orleans and the next best PG may be Mills who might already have a deal in place.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

No, Patty's been in the league too many years. That tactic only works with guys who are RFAs in outer years.
    Plus, a team can't offer their own player that contract. That is the result of a CBA quirk with the Areans RFA provision.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think it's more likely there's a plan with Gasol.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The conversation was more about New Orleans than the Spurs. Lowe was just throwing out scenario if Holiday left NOP and said they may be out of luck because no top FA PG is going to New Orleans and the next best PG may be Mills who might already have a deal in place.

This is true. I'm not a huge fan of assigning extra meaning to Lowe's musings. The dude speculates like everyone else. He's not Woj where you can assume he would know what GMs were thinking. Lowe's an analyst first. I doubt he knows anything about the negotiations between Mills' agent and the team. And I even doubt that they'd have something worked out. At best, the Spurs have given their offer, which Mills' agent will use to shop around in July.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ok but is he going to be our starter? Are the Spurs gonna pay him starting PG money? You'd think there might be a team that may be willing to do and if I'm Mills agent I've gotta find out. Let another team set your value and then go to Spurs and see where things stand.

I know some don't like the idea of this but I've heard Spurs will kick the tires on CP3. Do you do that and have the risk of Mills walk?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know some don't like the idea of this but I've heard Spurs will kick the tires on CP3. Do you do that and have the risk of Mills walk?
    I guess if it's a choice between the two you obviously have to choose Paul. Pop has already told Murray that Paul is one player to study from so bringing him on allows Murray more time to develop on the bench.

Instead of trying to figure out how to sign Paul and what to do with Parker I think drafting Evans makes more sense. He'd be cheaper than any other option that actually improves the point guard position. His offensive game is just as explosive as Mills' and many experts believe he has the potential to be one of the best in the league. Of course this is contingent on Evans dropping to the Spurs.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ok but is he going to be our starter? Are the Spurs gonna pay him starting PG money? You'd think there might be a team that may be willing to do and if I'm Mills agent I've gotta find out. Let another team set your value and then go to Spurs and see where things stand.

I think the scenario has changed a bit.
    Tony has not been closing as many games as before and is having a lot of trouble to stay out of the injuried list.
    It will come as a surprise of he retired, but it's now a possibility. He is losing his health along with his minutes.
    Also there is Gasol, who probably has an understanding with the FO, he can retire (unlikely) and either pick the option our not. He can pick his option but he can also decline and accept a 2/20 or 3/30 million contract that would be very friendly with the new cba.
    Last but not least you have Mills, he can be resigned for the cheap with a promise that his payday will come, he has no reasons to doubt as he saw how the organization honored this kind of commitments before his eyes.
    Last edited by kaji157; 03-14-2017 at 10:31 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I guess if it's a choice between the two you obviously have to choose Paul. Pop has already told Murray that Paul is one player to study from so bringing him on allows Murray more time to develop on the bench.

Instead of trying to figure out how to sign Paul and what to do with Parker I think drafting Evans makes more sense. He'd be cheaper than any other option that actually improves the point guard position. His offensive game is just as explosive as Mills' and many experts believe he has the potential to be one of the best in the league. Of course this is contingent on Evans dropping to the Spurs.
    Paul will command $ that will price him out of range for the Spurs.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree. But it seems like Paul and Pop have some kind of mutual respect. It would not surprise me if he makes an effort to be a Spur.
    Of course in order to have a chance at Paul we need to destroy the Clippers in the playoffs. (Or them to be destroyed before us)

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, I'm not sure if I'd be interested in paying Paul max type of money, or trying to clear space to do it. Even though he is skilled and doesn't rely on athleticism, I'm still not sure I'd want to clear the roster to get him. I assume the Spurs would have to do a lot of roster manipulation to get him?

I agree. But it seems like Paul and Pop have some kind of mutual respect. It would not surprise me if he makes an effort to be a Spur.
    Of course in order to have a chance at Paul we need to destroy the Clippers in the playoffs. (Or them to be destroyed before us)
    True. If the Spurs want him, then they can't go letting what happened against OKC last playoffs happen should the two teams meet.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tony has not been closing as many games as before and is having a lot of trouble to stay out of the injuried list.
    It will come as a surprise of he retired, but it's now a possibility. He is losing his health along with his minutes.
    Also there is Gasol, who probably has an understanding with the FO, he can retire (unlikely) and either pick the option our not. He can pick his option but he can also decline and accept a 2/20 or 3/30 million contract that would be very friendly with the new cba.
    Last but not least you have Mills, he can be resigned for the cheap with a promise that his payday will come, he has no reasons to doubt as he saw how the organization honored this kind of commitments before his eyes.
    Yes, Tony has become a real joker in the deck. His injuries/losing his "closer" status make it much more difficult to predict his future than it was at the start of the year. I still don't see him leaving $15MM on the table, but perhaps there are other possibilities.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, I'm not sure if I'd be interested in paying Paul max type of money, or trying to clear space to do it. Even though he is skilled and doesn't rely on athleticism, I'm still not sure I'd want to clear the roster to get him. I assume the Spurs would have to do a lot of roster manipulation to get him?

True. If the Spurs want him, then they can't go letting what happened against OKC last playoffs happen should the two teams meet.
    I think the Spurs would have to make more drastic cuts/moves to sign Paul than the Dubs made to accommodate Durant. But we would have to consult somebody like Chinook to get a more precise analysis.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the Spurs would have to make more drastic cuts/moves to sign Paul than the Dubs made to accommodate Durant. But we would have to consult somebody like Chinook to get a more precise analysis.
    Spit-balling here, but something like moving Tony and Pau for little return and not bringing back Mills and Dedmon would probably do it. Dunno if you consider that more or less extreme than what GS did.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think there's a chance in that Tony will retire and leave $15 million on the table. His expiring contract will be a tradable asset next season but I seriously doubt that the Spurs would trade Tony.

There is not a chance in that Mills signs a cheap contract with the promise of more later. This is his first and it might be his only chance to cash in on my gigantic NBA contract. Other teams are probably going to throw offers of 10 to 13 million per year and there is no chance that he leaves an offer like that on the table.

I do think that there is a possibility that Pau will opt out of the final year of his contract with the understanding that he would sign a longer-term deal in the range of three years $30 million. This would clear additional Space for the off-season but I think the Spurs are going to have to make a decision to either sign Mills or Dedmen in the off-season as they cannot afford to keep both.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not that he can't change his mind in the off-season but didn't Paul already announced his intention to sign a five-year max contract extension with the clippers?

Thread Information