Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hear about this on a nightly basis... my old man's an avid fox news watcher, and I between O'Reilly, Hannity, and Carlson I hear the terms safe space and trigger warning thrown around at least 4 times every hour. I usually stick in my room, but can overhear what's being said on TV through the wall.

I personally attended UCLA, one of the most liberal campuses in the country, for 5 years (started Fall of 09, finished in 2014). I never heard either term used there. My younger cousin who I keep up with regularly is currently a poly-sci student at UCLA. He leans right politically, and has never encountered them either.

Just curious if you guys have personally experienced these at your local universities... not just hearing about them on the news, etc.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I personally attended UCLA, one of the most liberal campuses in the country, for 5 years (started Fall of 09, finished in 2014)
    I usually stick in my room, but can overhear what's being said on TV through the wall.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    excellent contribution to the thread. thank you

I M Ultimate Badass Quadzilla99's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Never heard of them graduated 3 years ago. Not much unrest at all about speakers or political nonsense.

I went to a huge campus and the speakers usually spoke on Saturdays so like 90,000 people would be at the football game, the rest at parties or as a guy whatever place the hot girls were and then maybe like 300 people would be listening to a campus speaker. Later I found out there were some campus arguments over speakers while i was at my school but I only found out by googling them years later. Of course in bizarro Fox News world the little speech and kerfuffle about it no one was even aware of was emblematic of the entire school even though 90-95% of us were unaware of it. I mean most if not all of us on a Saturday were living our lives as young, horny, drunk college kids like people iin the prime of their youth should be on a Saturday night in a college town

I M Ultimate Badass Quadzilla99's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also of the 300 people many that attended weren't even students as people from nearby neighborhoods would come to hear the speakers

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    OP out of college for 3 years, still lives with parents imo.

someone sling a meme up in here

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    OP out of college for 3 years, still lives with parents imo.

someone sling a meme up in here
    In my last year of law school, amigo

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I graduated in 94, so we would've laughed our asses off at the notion of safe spaces and trigger warnings.

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So do the vast majority of current college students, despite what you may think about that notion's wide acceptance on campuses across the country.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The overwhelming majority of college students are products of public schooling and the harsh realities of no dumb s left behind. Overall, a huge percentage of those idiots aren't fit for schooling beyond what they are gifted. Only idiots that can't demonstrate simple ignorance of something they don't understand simply aren't for the real world.

Needing a safe space is just another sign of how ing awful, selfish and self-absorbed our society is.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So do the vast majority of current college students, despite what you may think about that notion's wide acceptance on campuses across the country.

The overwhelming majority of college students are products of public schooling and the harsh realities of no dumb s left behind. Overall, a huge percentage of those idiots aren't fit for schooling beyond what they are gifted. Only idiots that can't demonstrate simple ignorance of something they don't understand simply aren't for the real world.

Needing a safe space is just another sign of how ing awful, selfish and self-absorbed our society is.
    where do you get your data from?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

where do you get your data from?

What data am I citing, you tool? Private schools only make up like 10% or less of elementary and secondary school students. Are you trying to insinuate that the vast majority of college students are not from the 90% of the pool provided by public schools?!!

If that is not what you're insinuating, then what numerical percentage do you cite would be a fair definition of "overwhelming majority", because even if that 10% or so pool covers 30% or so, is 70% not an "overwhelming majority"?

Trying to split hairs on definition semantics on descriptive words to try and sling? LMAO.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What data am I citing, you tool? Private schools only make up like 10% or less of elementary and secondary school students. Are you trying to insinuate that the vast majority of college students are not from the 90% of the pool provided by public schools?!!

If that is not what you're insinuating, then what numerical percentage do you cite would be a fair definition of "overwhelming majority", because even if that 10% or so pool covers 30% or so, is 70% not an "overwhelming majority"?

Trying to split hairs on definition semantics on descriptive words to try and sling? LMAO.
    ok, how about this data

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    I hear about this on a nightly basis... my old man's an avid fox news watcher, and I between O'Reilly, Hannity, and Carlson I hear the terms safe space and trigger warning thrown around at least 4 times every hour. I usually stick in my room, but can overhear what's being said on TV through the wall.

I personally attended UCLA, one of the most liberal campuses in the country, for 5 years (started Fall of 09, finished in 2014). I never heard either term used there. My younger cousin who I keep up with regularly is currently a poly-sci student at UCLA. He leans right politically, and has never encountered them either.

Just curious if you guys have personally experienced these at your local universities... not just hearing about them on the news, etc.
    UCLA is moderate by California standards

Liberal = Berkley, Santa Cruz, Mills, etc

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Still haven't heard anyone ITT give an example of safe spaces or micro aggressions that they personally witnessed.

I agree with the OP that the whole safe space thing seems like something that was just made up by someone who claimed to see it first hand.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Still haven't heard anyone ITT give an example of safe spaces or micro aggressions that they personally witnessed.

I agree with the OP that the whole safe space thing seems like something that was just made up by someone who claimed to see it first hand.
    i'm sure it happens at some schools, as has been reported, but its the in main story every other day on fox as if it's some epidemic that's affecting all students at universities

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    excellent contribution to the thread. thank you
    I honestly thought your post was just a troll job. Never seen a safe space, retreats to room when daddy puts on fox news but I can still hear it .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    retreats? i've got my desk, books, laptop, etc setup in my room. why the would i sit in front of a tv just to watch clippers games and fox news?

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    so republicans qualify anyone who doesn't want to watch Fox News as someone who needs a safe space?

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's a Fox News boogeyman. Like the knockout game and color coded sex bracelets in high schools and black people.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    It's a Fox News boogeyman. Like the knockout game and color coded sex bracelets in high schools and black people.
    Or like Natalie Hollway

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    retreats? i've got my desk, books, laptop, etc setup in my room. why the would i sit in front of a tv just to watch clippers games and fox news?
    So CN is your daddeh?

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Never.

And I must visit Austin research labs fairly frequently. So maybe I need to hang out at the student union. At facilities, no way. The people I help would not support it and everyone is way busy to muddle in self pity. Busy, goal oriented people don't have the time imo. And you are treated with respect if you can do your job, they don't care if you are a purple transgender Muslim.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So CN is your daddeh?
    not bad tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I remember when I watched some live streams from high rises of the LA protests after election day when 100,000 people were out and there were people walking down the streets peacefully mainly just standing around for the most part. You could see the huge groups of people slowly walking down the street. My first thought was seems peaceful and maybe like pointless waste of time if anything since LA is overwhelmingly Dem anyways. Then I turn on fox news or went on the website iirc and the headline was about the maybe at best 20 people who acted the worst and were getting violent while the other overwhelming majority were just standing around doing nothing. In the Fox News world this was like all that got coverage since it was the most embarrassing to the Dems

Thread Information