Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It looks like we're gonna lose to this team if we somehow meet them in the first round just like 2011...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sup Hater!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We aren't losing to Memphis.

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    I think it's going to be a tankfest down the stretch as Portland, OKC, LAC and Memphis all jostle for position in hopes they land the Spurs in the 1st round. The seventh seed is going to be the most coveted seed in the Western Conference.

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    We aren't losing to Memphis.
    That's what posters said about OKC last year, the Clippers after game three in 2015 and Memphis in 2011.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs will lose ONLY if they play against Grizz like last game in Memphis.

Parker can't run the whole show against a defensive PG like Conley, Spurs can't post LMA every play against one of the best defensive bigs in the league, that isn't the best way to beat them. Kawhi needs to be more than a spot-up shooter parking in the corner while looks TP-LMA two man game most minutes.

Even when Allen is still a good defender, Kawhi ate him alive in last playoffs. He has one of the two most favorable matchups, Spurs should exploit it. The other is Gasol coming off the bench against Grizz smaller PF/C, he needs to take advantage of his size.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think it's going to be a tankfest down the stretch as Portland, OKC, LAC and Memphis all jostle for position in hopes they land the Spurs in the 1st round. The seventh seed is going to be the most coveted seed in the Western Conference.
    Yeah, I would think so if their current wobbly continues ..I have said in another thread, the last two playoffs flameouts has this current team losing any fear factor about them..

I mean they have Kawhi Leonard, but until he crushes the souls of some team by dropping >40 points on their home floor in the playoffs and carry us to an unprobable win, no one is yet scared.

Millennial Messiah UNT Eagles 2016's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why does Kawhi revert to being Bruce Bowen whenever TP plays hero?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's what posters said about OKC last year, the Clippers after game three in 2015 and Memphis in 2011.
    That doesn't mean much.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why does Kawhi revert to being Bruce Bowen whenever TP plays hero?
    Spurs need Parker to keep LMA rolling but they also need a balance between TP-LMA two-man game and Kawhi's plays.

When Parker plays well against these ty teams, Kawhi doesn't have the ball in his hands that much.
    Pop/Parker/whoever not play him at his strengths in these situations, his P&Rs, drives, post-up reduce...Like I said, half of his shots were 3's tonight. Spot-up him that much is a waste of his offensive game.

Kawhi needs breaks and some plays off ball in a game but when Parker is on the floor, he plays off ball all minutes. That can't be good against elite teams.

Also, Spurs are forcefeeding LMA more now. In the last 3 games he took more shots than Kawhi, in the last two he did it efficiently.

Those are the two main reasons for Kawhi looking passive on offense.
    Last edited by YGWHI; 03-19-2017 at 10:18 PM.

tv screen baseline bum sananspursfan21's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I bet this team could beat Memphis. When committed, these guys can hang with anyone. But the Griz seem to have their name stamped on these guys during the regular season. They could take a series to a game 7 and about a 30% at winning the series altogether

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like the Grizz. There a likeable team of vets who can play hard. But when I saw Tony drive in and get blocked twice under the rim and Karwar standing around not being utilised properly I knew we marking this down as a loss and just trying e.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    avoid all teams at all costs

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Seriously.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs need Parker to keep LMA rolling but they also need a balance between TP-LMA two-man game and Kawhi's plays.

When Parker plays well against these ty teams, Kawhi doesn't have the ball in his hands that much.
    Pop/Parker/whoever not play him at his strengths in these situations, his P&Rs, drives, post-up reduce...Like I said, half of his shots were 3's tonight. Spot-up him that much is a waste of his offensive game.

Kawhi needs breaks and some plays off ball in a game but when Parker is on the floor, he plays off ball all minutes. That can't be good against elite teams.

Also, Spurs are forcefeeding LMA more now. In the last 3 games he took more shots than Kawhi, in the last two he did it efficiently.

Those are the two main reasons for Kawhi looking passive on offense.
    Meh, we already know what Kawhi is capable of. So does Pop. Kawhi will always get the ball in crunch time. Having Parker (and Aldridge by extension) be too passive is the worse option in a game theory sense: you want all your players to be threats so the defense can't ignore any of them.

And it seems that Pop is willing to play Mills at least as many minutes as Parker. Using Parker to get Aldridge going early in each half and letting Kawhi take over the rest of the time seems like a good strategy to me.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As for the subject of the thread, the Grizzlies scare me even less than the Clippers, and the Clippers don't really scare me at all. The Spurs are underdogs against the Warriors and could be knocked out by hot shooting by the Rockets and Cavs. The rest of the teams are just injury risks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Meh, we already know what Kawhi is capable of. So does Pop. Kawhi will always get the ball in crunch time. Having Parker (and Aldridge by extension) be too passive is the worse option in a game theory sense: you want all your players to be threats so the defense can't ignore any of them.

And it seems that Pop is willing to play Mills at least as many minutes as Parker. Using Parker to get Aldridge going early in each half and letting Kawhi take over the rest of the time seems like a good strategy to me.
    Agreed.

Not in POs roster NameLess Scrub's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, avoid Clippers, Grizz, Thunder, and Portland too.

Apparently Dame and CJ will combine for 60 every game in a series.

Loving that 2 game humbling separation from the Warriors.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Agreed also but throw Kawhi an easy hoop too. I know as a PF, LA relies on passing more than a SF but giving Kawhi an easy one every once in awhile shows appreciation and for Kawhi a sense that it doesnt always have to be difficult. And also Kawhi cut to the basket to get the easy pass and shot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

No.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs will destroy them both match-ups in SA.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    i'm still shocked at how comfortable they looked shooting the ball.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs will beat the Grizzlies. This is definitely not 2011. Manu was our best player in 2011 while in 2017 a prime Kawhi is our best player. I would say 2017 Kawhi is way better then 2011 Manu. Factor in Manu broke his arm before that series which paved the way for the upset.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Meh, we already know what Kawhi is capable of. So does Pop. Kawhi will always get the ball in crunch time.
    Not with Parker and LMA on the floor. It's the same story. Doesn't matter if it's playoffs or the regular season.

Game 5 of OKC series.

A close game. Kawhi 26 points in .57%, LMA 6-21, Parker 4-12...After a timeout, Pop called a Parker-LMA P&R to close the game. In fact, where two consecutive P&Rs LMA missed, Parker too. Spurs lost.

Last week vs Portland.

Another close game. Force feeding LMA...Pop went to LMA 9-24 37%, and Gasol in the whole 4th to take advantage of Blazers defenders Vonleh, Harkless, Crabble, Aminu, when Portland went small but both bigs missed...Kawhi took less shots than Gasol and LMA in the 4th. Spurs lost.

Using Parker to get Aldridge going early in each half and letting Kawhi take over the rest of the time seems like a good strategy to me.
    A good strategy against ty teams.

Against elite teams, Spurs need to get BOTH main scores involved in the same minutes on the floor.

And they can't do it with Parker. He excels playing the two- man game with LMA but is not able to involve Kawhi in a different way than as spot-up 3-point shooter.

LMA taking 11 shots in a quarter and Kawhi only 2, just because he can take more in the next quarter...won't work.

It didn't work vs Grizz in the 3rd quarter...won't work against better teams.

Thread Information