Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Claypool, Chris Squire
    Chris Squire wouldn't be a bad choice. I put Claypool in the same group as Flea and the "modern" group. As badass as he is, I don't think he supersedes Flea though. Not talent wise but influence wise. I can't say who is technically better but Flea obviously had much more exposure.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Chris Squire wouldn't be a bad choice. I put Claypool in the same group as Flea and the "modern" group. As badass as he is, I don't think he supersedes Flea though. Not talent wise but influence wise. I can't say who is technically better but Flea obviously had much more exposure.
    I think Claypool is worlds better technically, and he can sing at the same time.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I think Claypool is worlds better technically, and he can sing at the same time.
    I hope you're joking about him singing. Or maybe I've heard the wrong songs.

But either way, I think Flea is way ahead for a Modern Rock Mount Rushmore.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    I hope you're joking about him singing. Or maybe I've heard the wrong songs.

But either way, I think Flea is way ahead for a Modern Rock Mount Rushmore.
    Chili Peppers are incredibly overrated - their soulless cover of Higher Ground somehow catapulted them into the stratosphere. Playing any instrument while singing adds a degree of difficulty. But if MTV exposure is a criteria for HOF, we're not gonna see eye to eye.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Unless you were there in the beginning and watched the evolution of rock/soul/funk/R&B you aren't going to get it. You just have too small a sample size if ya missed out on all that pre 80's stuff.

Nietzsche

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Chili Peppers are incredibly overrated - their soulless cover of Higher Ground somehow catapulted them into the stratosphere. Playing any instrument while singing adds a degree of difficulty. But if MTV exposure is a criteria for HOF, we're not gonna see eye to eye.
    I'm not a huge Chili Pepper fan. But they were in the stratosphere before Higher Ground. Which is awful. I was a fan for exactly 2 albums. Mothers Milk and Blood Sugar Sex Magic. They had a pretty good following even before that. Some will say their earlier stuff was way better and certainly had a more funky vibe. I think Under the Bridge has been their undoing. Seems like they've remade it several times. But Flea and Fruscianti are great musicians. My comment about exposure was to point out that Flea is probably more influential because he's been heard by more people than Claypool. And yes...due to MTV and dumbed down radio. But I'm not saying that exposure is a valid qualification for the Mount Rushmore. Just that it facilitates influence.

Thread Information