Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree with your premise that a heavy midrange offense isn't likely to work in the playoffs. But at this point what are the options? .

Sadly, the most likely option is a second round exit. That's not being disloyal, or negative. It's just looking at this team the same way I would if they had another logo on their uniforms. They're better than I thought they would be after losing Tim, because they managed to land Pau, Dedmon, and Lee. Kudos to management. But, yeah, I think that consistently being forced to take shots from further away is a big deal, come playoff time. Manu and Tony still show flashes of being Manu and Tony. I can't see how they can do it often and consistently enough to win four 7-game series. But I guess Rudy T said it - never underestimate the heart of a champion. I'll keep watching and cheering until the last game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't know how to break this to you, but nobody in the NBA can make a good pass without a passing lane. Manu and Tony are both too slow now to create the angles for making great passes (most of the time). You see them making their passes wide, and forcing their guy to move to get to the ball? It's because if they didn't, the passes would get picked off - because the haven't created enough angle to get a straight line to their man. Before you argue, watch a game or two for just that. It's wreaking havoc with our perimeter shooting, and with the flow of the offense. Because when a guy has to chase down a wide pass, he can't step into a shot, and then they basically have to re-set the offense. Manu and Tony are still just as good of passers as they ever were - they just have a much harder time getting the corner going to the basket, which also makes it tough for them to create clean passing lanes for themselves.
    For some reason I said that Spurs were better with Parker/Manu becoming great scorers, players, than in the first 4-Down years.
    Tim was amazing, so dominant in those years but having two guards with elite dribble-penetration took the team to another level. Even Tim could have easy ones that never got in the previous years.

Sadly, with Parker/Manu decline, the offense had to change.
    Like I've said before I'd love to see the Spurs filling this hole in next summer or at least in Kawhi's prime years but I'm not very optimistic about their future moves.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    aldridge has been way too soft and over the course of the season, seems to play scared on offense, and refuses to assert himself against mismatches. if he keeps this up and gets his head on straight, then we have the legit #2 option that he was supposed to be all along

ultimately this team relies on way too many things to click that quite frankly haven't consistently shown up during the season at all, let alone at the same time...

1) kawhi's mvp level play has been consistent, and we need it to stay that way
    2) lma needs to be an offensive force that punishes teams when they don't double. he hasn't been that most of the year
    3) green needs to be knocking down his shots. he started off hot the first couple of months, has really slowed down since. can't have him being a useless body out there
    4) parker needs to have just a little juice. he doesn't have to score 15, but he occasionally has games where he's able to penetrate just enough and make the occasional bail-out play. can't have him being useless unless patty is on absolute fire
    5) patty's gotta be the microwave. come in and knock down shots. be pesky on D. imo he's mostly done a good job all year
    6) dedmon has to go back to being dedmon

this team doesn't ring unless those things happen consistently

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    aldridge has been way too soft and over the course of the season, seems to play scared on offense, and refuses to assert himself against mismatches. if he keeps this up and gets his head on straight, then we have the legit #2 option that he was supposed to be all along
    But he's still a volumen scorer who needs to take a ton of shots to keep rolling. And a kind of Danny's Icy-Hot mid-range version.

When Kawhi gets double-triple teamed, or LMA, this team will need the shooters....Like in Parker's last 3-point tonight, when 3 Memphis guys were on Kawhi and he found open-Parker in the corner

But those shooters missed crucial shots in last playoffs. Not sure if we can trust them.

It's in these situations when Spurs lack of slashers would cost them playoffs games.
    When double teams come and shots aren't falling, having a guard who can drive instead of just clanking open 3's would make Kawhi/LMA/Spurs lives easier.
    Last edited by YGWHI; 03-24-2017 at 02:26 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    4) parker needs to have just a little juice. he doesn't have to score 15, but he occasionally has games where he's able to penetrate just enough and make the occasional bail-out play. can't have him being useless unless patty is on absolute fire
    Unless Pop make Parker to play against opposite benches, he wont have those opportunities in playoffs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Aldridge took a big ole on Garcia's take last night.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But he's still a volumen scorer who needs to take a ton of shots to keep rolling. And a kind of Danny's Icy-Hot mid-range version.

When Kawhi gets double-triple teamed, or LMA, this team will need the shooters....Like in Parker's last 3-point tonight, when 3 Memphis guys were on Kawhi and he found open-Parker in the corner

But those shooters missed crucial shots in last playoffs. Not sure if we can trust them.

It's in these situations when Spurs lack of slashers would cost them playoffs games.
    When double teams come and shots aren't falling, having a guard who can drive instead of just clanking open 3's would make Kawhi/LMA/Spurs lives easier.
    Weve got no choice but to trust them. Cant win without them.

Thread Information