I M Ultimate Badass Quadzilla99's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gd that Asian dropped some truth nukes

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah that whole thing is pretty stupid. Pretty sure the problem in the United States has nothing to do with the brightest people in the world coming here.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He confirms what my dd said that the PHDs are mostly foreign born while American born STEM students are more likely to stop at BS. The foreigners are more likely to get visas the higher their degrees so they keep going in education. Part of the reason why the American borns stop at BS is the absurd amounts the companies are paying them straight out of college. Below is a link of an article listing what they are offering. Note that the higher end signing bonuses are usually for return interns (who they've tested out) - see Facebook's is $100K. Three of dd's friends are interning at Facebook this summer. 2 of them plan to go on to either MS/PHD - we'll see if they're able to resist a $100k signing bonus.

https://finance.yahoo.com/m/c5035db4...new-grads.html

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree that our education system is fubar. Need more math/science and less social justice indoctrination, tbh.

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree that our education system is fubar. Need more math/science and less social justice indoctrination, tbh.
    Right. The problem with public school in America is all of those SJW classes.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would say that the public schools don't make it easy for students to take science classes e.g. the sequence here is Physical Science, Biology, Chemistry, Physics and AP Biology, AP Chemistry/AP Physics 1, AP Physics C. They don't allow student to take Physics and Chemistry together even though you don't need Chemistry knowledge for Physics. From the College Board:

no prior course work in physics is necessary for students to enroll in AP Physics 1. Students should have completed geometry and be concurrently taking Algebra II or an equivalent course.

But because the schools are so paranoid about students' math/science background, they force them to take all these prerequisites (and in order). As a result, ds did not get to AP Physics C (calculus-based) - good preparation for his future engineering major.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sorry, can't edit. The AP Chem is on same level as AP Biology.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The PhD is highly overrated, mostly by other PhDs.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If a PHD is the ticket to a visa, residency and eventual US citizenship, it's not overrated (by anyone).

faggy opinion + certainty Mark Celibate's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    I would say that the public schools don't make it easy for students to take science classes e.g. the sequence here is Physical Science, Biology, Chemistry, Physics and AP Biology, AP Chemistry/AP Physics 1, AP Physics C. They don't allow student to take Physics and Chemistry together even though you don't need Chemistry knowledge for Physics. From the College Board:

no prior course work in physics is necessary for students to enroll in AP Physics 1. Students should have completed geometry and be concurrently taking Algebra II or an equivalent course.

But because the schools are so paranoid about students' math/science background, they force them to take all these prerequisites (and in order). As a result, ds did not get to AP Physics C (calculus-based) - good preparation for his future engineering major.
    Why couldn't he get into AP Physics C? AP Bio is the only AP course you can take as a freshman but you can take AP Chem/AP Physics together as a sop re if you wish, and then go on to take Physics C as a Junior so what's the problem? Honestly, the jump from Physics 1 to Physics C is lame. Physics C you just combine Newtonian Mechanics with E&M concepts, throw in some stupidly easy derivatives/integrals, sprinkle in a few a cross products and voila! you basically have the same course as an AP Physics 1 and 2 combination.

For the good school districts, I actually think things are getting more compe ive than they've ever been. Taking AP Calculus AB by today's standards is considered "slacking". Each year there are more and more students getting into MV Calculus by their senior year.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    All the H1-b visa holders I have worked with in engineering were PHD holders. They were better than most citizens that were in our same work unit. It's been over a decade since I worked in that environment, so changes in the system may have undercut the good points.

Now the past news of places like Disney replacing citizens with H1-b workers is really disturbing. The program must have somehow been changed to allow this, because that is not what the program intent was in the past.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    especially in science. calculus and vhemistry classes have a huge liberal social agenda

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why couldn't he get into AP Physics C? AP Bio is the only AP course you can take as a freshman but you can take AP Chem/AP Physics together as a sop re if you wish, and then go on to take Physics C as a Junior so what's the problem? Honestly, the jump from Physics 1 to Physics C is lame. Physics C you just combine Newtonian Mechanics with E&M concepts, throw in some stupidly easy derivatives/integrals, sprinkle in a few a cross products and voila! you basically have the same course as an AP Physics 1 and 2 combination.

For the good school districts, I actually think things are getting more compe ive than they've ever been. Taking AP Calculus AB by today's standards is considered "slacking". Each year there are more and more students getting into MV Calculus by their senior year.
    Cannot take AP Bio in 9th grade at his school - need Bio and Chemistry (which needs Alg 2 [9th grade]) - science class can't get ahead of math sequence. AP Physics C needs calculus - AP Calc AB (11th grade). I wouldn't recommend anyone take 2 AP sciences (maybe something like AP Env Sci - but not AP Chem/AP Physics at the same time) - too heavy especially in 11th grade when they force everyone to take a year long SAT class. Definitely would not have him take such a heavy load - a social life, balance and sleep are important too :-)

Maybe in big schools/good school districts they allow students to take AP Chem/AP Physics as a sop re, but not in a low-income charter school. I'd like to see them allow Chem and Physics/AP Physics 1 together in the earlier grades when schedule is not so heavy than doubling up on AP sciences in 11th and 12th.

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    especially in science. calculus and vhemistry classes have a huge liberal social agenda
    We were required to take AP Privilege before they let us take any advanced Math or Science courses at my public school.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    It was hard combating the liberal bias in the schools where my kids went.

They need to teach the facts. Not agenda.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    d2(3x3)/dx2=blm wake up people wake up!

∂(x2+y2)/∂x=woke/cosign
    i ≡ √-1
    i ≡ √-1

adolis is altuve’s father monosylab1k's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    asians smart not americans

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If a PHD is the ticket to a visa, residency and eventual US citizenship, it's not overrated (by anyone).
    If it's being presented as the "nation's brightest" then it is.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    d2(3x3)/dx2=blm wake up people wake up!

∂(x2+y2)/∂x=woke/cosign
    i ≡ √-1
    i ≡ √-1
    Formula for anabolic steroids?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Heh

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    These are the types of people we want immigrating. Not those who flip hamburgers. We have too many unemployed no skill workers already.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    These are the types of people we want immigrating. Not those who flip hamburgers. We have too many unemployed no skill workers already.
    We don't get to pick and choose who immigrates. Just do it legally. If you want to flip a burger, have at it.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We don't get to pick and choose who immigrates. Just do it legally. If you want to flip a burger, have at it.
    Why do you think we shouldn't get to pick and choose who immigrates. Canada, iirc, chooses people who speak English/French, has some skill or financial resources - iow, people who can significantly contribute and are not a drain on society.

Thread Information