Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Basically a lot of people are still pissed about all the money that Trump stole from them, then offered pennies on the dollar for.

They are going to drop out of the class action, and the legal reasoning seems to hold water from the analysis that I read.

"Trump Fraud" is going to be like "peas and carrots".

Trump University Lawsuits May Not Be Closed After All

President Trump’s postelection agreement to pay $25 million appeared to settle the fraud claims arising from his defunct for-profit education venture, Trump University. But a former student is now asking to opt out of the settlement, a move that, if permitted, could put the deal in jeopardy.

Lawyers for the student, Sherri Simpson of Fort Lauderdale, Fla., on Monday asked a federal judge in San Diego to reject the settlement unless former students are given an opportunity to be excluded from the deal so they can sue Mr. Trump individually.

If the judge, Gonzalo Curiel, decides that Ms. Simpson and potentially others should have that chance, legal experts say it could disrupt the settlement because Mr. Trump and his lawyers saw the deal as a way to resolve all of the claims, once and for all, to avoid a trial and distractions to his presidency.

“If even one person could opt out of the settlement and force a trial, that might, in fact, crater the deal,” said Shaun Martin, a professor at the University of San Diego School of Law. “I’m sure Judge Curiel will be aware of that.”

The agreement, announced in November, appeared to resolve years of hotly contested litigation, including two federal class-action cases in San Diego and a separate suit by Eric T. Schneiderman, the New York attorney general. Students maintained that they were cheated out of tuition through high-pressure sales tactics and misleading claims about what they would learn. At one point during the contentious case, Mr. Trump questioned Judge Curiel’s impartiality based on his Mexican heritage.

Mr. Trump, who has rejected the claims and did not acknowledge fault in the settlement, posted on Twitter after the settlement announcement that he “did not have the time to go through a long but winning trial on Trump U.”

Patrick Coughlin, a lawyer representing the class-action plaintiffs, said that it was a “terrific settlement” and that the objection seemed “politically motivated.” He said he feared that the objection could result in delays for students who have waited years to get money back. “She could have excluded herself before and pursued her own litigation,” he said. “That time passed.”

Lawyers for Mr. Trump did not respond to messages seeking comment.

Monday is the deadline for students to file claims to participate in the settlement, or object to it — as in the case of Ms. Simpson.

First Draft
    Every weekday, get political news and analysis from the staff of The New York Times.

Enter your email address

Receive occasional updates and special offers for The New York Times's products and services.

SEE SAMPLE PRIVACY POLICY
    Her lawyers argue that a notice sent to students about the class-action lawsuits in 2015 left the impression that they could later request to be excluded from a settlement, but that opportunity was not afforded to them in the agreement.

“There was precious little reason to exercise the right to opt out at that juncture” in 2015, wrote one of Ms. Simpson’s lawyers, Gary Friedman of New York, in the objection filed on Monday. “The case was barreling toward trial, by all accounts.”

Carl Tobias, a professor at the University of Richmond School of Law, said that Judge Curiel would probably give the objection serious consideration, but that he would have to weigh it against “substantial pressure to hold the deal together.”

“A lot of work has gone into this, and people are generally satisfied all around,” Mr. Tobias said.

Plaintiffs’ lawyers have said that they would waive their fees and that they expected roughly 7,000 former students to recover half to all of what they spent on courses.

If they are allowed, it is not clear how many former students may seek to opt out.

In 2010, Ms. Simpson — a lawyer who spoke out about her Trump University experience during last year’s campaign — paid $1,495 for a three-day seminar, in which she said instructors pressured her to sign up for the $35,000 “Gold Elite” program under the premise that she would have access to the “resources of Mr. Trump and his real estate organization,” she wrote in a sworn statement. She split the fee with another student, spending about $19,000 in total, Mr. Friedman said.

But she soon grew dissatisfied when promises went unfulfilled. She wrote, “The Gold Elite program was a scam.”
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/06/a...ment.html?_r=0

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can't understand why any of the plaintiffs wanted to settle once he won the election. They had Dear Leader over a barrel, which is why he quickly agreed to bury the story.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So Trump actually stole from them; like literally got into their wallets and bank accounts?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I doubt the judge will allow the class action deal to be cancelled

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So Trump actually stole from them; like literally got into their wallets and bank accounts?
    advertized a product, took their money, then didn't deliver the product. Commercial fraud.

did students sign some kind of contract or purchase agreement? most likely

Trash U was just another failed grifter project to get cash when Trash was/is bankrupt. Russians lent him $100Ms to float his ass when US banks shut him down.
    Last edited by boutons_deux; 03-07-2017 at 05:26 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You literally don't know what fraud is?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You literally don't know what fraud is?
    I was referring to the first sentence in the OP.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was referring to the first sentence in the OP.
    The semantics here are really that important to you?

Trump nut huggers are so loyal. Trump loves you too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Trump did say he loved the uneducated

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The stories are pretty heartbraking..basically sucked his most gullible rube fans dry it's almost like he's a piece of or something

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Federal income tax = scam
    Car insurance = scam
    Obamacare/forced health care coverage = scam
    Federal Reserve the creature from Jekyll island = scam
    Trump taking money from lolAmericans = not a scam

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Federal income tax = scam
    Car insurance = scam
    Obamacare/forced health care coverage = scam
    Federal Reserve the creature from Jekyll island = scam
    This is pretty stupid.

Trump is settling in a civil trial where he was accused of fraud. It is what it is for all your braindead attempts at equivalence and comparison.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is pretty stupid.

Trump is settling in a civil trial where he was accused of fraud. It is what it is for all your braindead attempts at equivalence and comparison.
    Clearly he's guilty then according to you. He's acknowledged he's settling because he doesn't have time to go through a long trial and win. Did you read the article or just assume guilt because of partisanship?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    advertized a product, took their money, then didn't deliver the product. Commercial fraud.
    Can a student that flunks out of Harvard sue because Harvard didn't educate them as advertised?

adolis is altuve’s father monosylab1k's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    He's acknowledged he's settling because he doesn't have time to go through a long trial and win.
    Yeah, sure. That's why Kobe settled, too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can a student that flunks out of Harvard sue because Harvard didn't educate them as advertised?
    Yes, Trump U = Harvard

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Slurp

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, Trump U = Harvard
    They both offer an education that doesn't necessarily educate everyone that attends.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They both offer an education that doesn't necessarily educate everyone that attends.
    Gosh I wonder why Trump lawyer didn't think of that

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gosh I wonder why Trump lawyer didn't think of that
    It's a valid legal argument dumbass and probably would have prevailed. If you can't figure out why he settled after he was elected you are even dumber than I thought,.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's a valid legal argument dumbass and probably would have prevailed. If you can't figure out why he settled after he was elected you are even dumber than I thought,.
    So he could sweep another scandal under the rug? Get it off the news?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So he could sweep another scandal under the rug? Get it off the news?
    Of course. It was worth 25 million to a billionaire to make it go away and not have it as a media distraction.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Of course. It was worth 25 million to a billionaire to make it go away and not have it as a media distraction.
    You answered for me

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Her lawyers argue that a notice sent to students about the class-action lawsuits in 2015 left the impression that they could later request to be excluded from a settlement, but that opportunity was not afforded to them in the agreement.
    Awww she got scammed again

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You answered for me
    I'm glad we didn't have to read endless testimony from cucks like you going "wa wa wa, I signed up thinking I was going to be a billionaire real estate magnate after I graduated and I'm still a broke ! Wa wa wa!"

Thread Information