Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The reality is that LMA showed he can drop 40-plus points on a team with decent bigs in the playoffs. You have to do whatever it takes to get that guy into the fold. You can't complain about complain about Kawhi not having help and then complain when he gets help.
    I'm not complaining, I would love for LA to start producing offensively in a consistent manner, but he hasn't been able so far.

If LA is hitting I have no problem with him getting as many touches as possible, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The reality is that LMA showed he can drop 40-plus points on a team with decent bigs in the playoffs. You have to do whatever it takes to get that guy into the fold. You can't complain about complain about Kawhi not having help and then complain when he gets help.
    When he is not dropping 40 is he assisting, stealing and playing D like Kawhi?
    No.
    Silly strategy to have LMA be the focal point of the offense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When he is not dropping 40 is he assisting, stealing and playing D like Kawhi?
    No.
    Silly strategy to have LMA be the focal point of the offense.
    The does that have to do with the offense?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The does that have to do with the offense?
    Well a steal prevents the other team from scoring and gives the offense a chance to score a basket.
    Good defense makes your presence on the court more valuable the average or traffic cone defense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I actually don't think LMA is the focal point. I missed the Kings game, but Kawhi simply struggled against Memphis mainly bc his biggest advantage against Allen (his size)wasn't utilized properly. Against Minny, they blitzed him with a double team as soon as he touched the ball--even on the go-ahead basket the double team was coming but Kawhi immediately rose up for his shot. I think after what Kawhi did to them the previous three match-ups Thibs was set on making someone else beat them.

I'm not against getting LMA involved especially since the Spurs need something to turn to if teams employ Thibs' strategy in the playoffs. I don't like the whole force feeding him five possessions in a row BS though. It's been inefficient and stalls the offense. Get LMA his shots organically throughout the course of the game, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well a steal prevents the other team from scoring and gives the offense a chance to score a basket.
    Good defense makes your presence on the court more valuable the average or traffic cone defense.
    Makes no sense. Kawhi's defense should have little to do with whether he's the focal point of the offense. If anything, giving him a lighter offensive load should increase his defensive production.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you care to notice the result of Kwahi's "MVP tear", he started getting double teamed outside and triple teamed inside. No player can perform well against those odds consistently, but he keeps trying and often winds up with a turnover. He doesn't and shouldn't have to work that hard on offense.

Better to utilize the 2nd option and make teams play honest defense to give him more space to operate in. The Spurs play better when the ball moves and folks get the ball to the open man. Not to mention keeping LMA tuned up for the playoffs.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The offense would run better with LMA as the focal point. The defense would be easier too. Obviously, that's assuming Aldridge can be as individually effective as Kawhi, and he simply hasn't been.
    Kawhi is the leader of the team and needs to be kept happy. Hes the spirtiual leader of the team, the hardest worker of the team and is candidate for MVP. When hes on weve beaten ALL the good teams this year. On paper, yes, the inside/out game with LA would work because it would suck in the D and he could kick it out to the shooters, including Kawhi. But what works on paper and what works in reality can be two separate things. Dont let the Klaw go hungry or we'll all regret it.

Having said that, its a ratio thing. We need both.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    More importantly, is LA gonna get treated right by the refs cause punk ass Towns was goddamn mauling LA in that last Minny game,I hadn't seen a player if LA's caliber get shat upon by the refs in awhile.
    Fact that whole last Minny game was fubared by the refs

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kawhi's tear was amazing, but SA was barely winning. LMA needs to get going for playoff basketball.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LMA or anyone else getting more shots isn't a problem. The issue is what type of shots are they taking/getting. The ball should still always go to Kawhi (occasionally giving him a breather) because he does command so much attention that it allows others to get easier shots. Plus the more practice he has dealing with it the better he'll get in those situations.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LMA or anyone else getting more shots isn't a problem. The issue is what type of shots are they taking/getting. The ball should still always go to Kawhi (occasionally giving him a breather) because he does command so much attention that it allows others to get easier shots. Plus the more practice he has dealing with it the better he'll get in those situations.
    ing LMA needs to get position down low. Him being at the free throw line makes it easy for that defender to help on Leonard. Plus, trade Parker.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That would require an ad-just-ment.

Not sure that is gonna happen.
    That's a point I thought some ppl would have been smart enough to understand without me having to spell it out...obviously in-out basketball is the preference... But the way Aldridge has been playing, combined with kawhi being the best option on offense is why I made the thread...forcing Aldridge to play a bad game (4 down all night) isn't helping anyone

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Exactly

hope and change
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Aldridge seems to be getting better, force feed strategy is working.

But now kawhi's 3 point shot is broken

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think this is the playoff scheme and they are starting to warm up that game so if Kiwi is having a bad time being double/triple teamed LMA will be the answer, of course Im just guessing.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Makes no sense. Kawhi's defense should have little to do with whether he's the focal point of the offense. If anything, giving him a lighter offensive load should increase his defensive production.
    He doesn't understand that there's half court offense, transition offense, etc. which all need to be clicking.

And I can point you to dozens and dozens of bigs far worse on the defensive end than Aldridge. He's part of why the Spurs have the #1 defense, not in spite of him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At this point, Pop is preparing the Spurs to play Memphis on the first round of the playoffs. It is the smart thing to do. Not that he is letting the first place go, but as any smart coach he want to prepare his team for all possible scenarios.

We are good enough to win with LaMarcus being the focal point on the offense, which allows for Kawhy to be Kawhi on defense and also share the load. You don't want him to go 100% on the first round of the playoffs and you do want to get LaMarcus going! You can let Kawhi go wild against the Rockets in the second round.

I do prefer to see the Spurs finish first, but I do like our chances even if we finish second in the west.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kawhi is the leader of the team and needs to be kept happy. Hes the spirtiual leader of the team, the hardest worker of the team and is candidate for MVP. When hes on weve beaten ALL the good teams this year. On paper, yes, the inside/out game with LA would work because it would suck in the D and he could kick it out to the shooters, including Kawhi. But what works on paper and what works in reality can be two separate things. Dont let the Klaw go hungry or we'll all regret it.

Having said that, its a ratio thing. We need both.
    Exactly. Don't get why LMA offense should be at expense of Kawhi's. Or vice versa.

It's sad but after two seasons, Pop didn't find a way to keep both main scorers involved in the same game.

LMA looked like when Kawhi played at MVP level. Force feed LMA makes him going but it's killing Kawhi's rhythm now.

It seems like we won't have these two on the same page, never. But again, this is on Pop.

Chillin' like a villain... TampaDude's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Whatever it takes. Just win, baby!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Exactly. Don't get why LMA offense should be at expense of Kawhi's. Or vice versa.

It's sad but after two seasons, Pop didn't find a way to keep both main scorers involved in the same game.

LMA looked like when Kawhi played at MVP level. Force feed LMA makes him going but it's killing Kawhi's rhythm now.

It seems like we won't have these two on the same page, never. But again, this is on Pop.
    You get it...it shouldn't be either or...and appeasing someone shouldn't be at the cost of the team...ppl bring up how we barely won't games when kawhi was on his MVP tear, but they fail to bring up we were actually losing games when LA was being force fed in a 4 down possession after possession

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you care to notice the result of Kwahi's "MVP tear", he started getting double teamed outside and triple teamed inside. No player can perform well against those odds consistently, but he keeps trying and often winds up with a turnover. He doesn't and shouldn't have to work that hard on offense.

Better to utilize the 2nd option and make teams play honest defense to give him more space to operate in. The Spurs play better when the ball moves and folks get the ball to the open man. Not to mention keeping LMA tuned up for the playoffs.
    I'm glad that teams are double and triple teaming Kawhi now. It gives both the Spurs and him time to prepare counters for it before the playoffs.

The flip side of it is that I think teams realize most of the players on the team have been playing poorly, so other teams are liking their chances better if they take Kawhi out of it. Hopefully, that backfires and gets our role players going heading into the playoffs. It could turn out well for the Spurs, but it also could expose us badly if all the other players are not able to step up.

Aldridge seems to be getting better, force feed strategy is working.

But now kawhi's 3 point shot is broken
    Kawhi's 3 point shot has been going down for weeks. I pointed it out close to a month ago. I can tell when shooters are struggling big-time with their shots/form. I called out Danny Green about 3 months ago, however, most people said it's OK as his overall 3pt percentage was still good at the time, but I could see his shot/form was bad since he was consistently missing wide open shots. His wide open misses were inconsistent and I thought that was something to worry about. He's been pure since then and he's gotten worse and worse. I really hope that Danny can turn it around.

I don't know what happened with Kawhi's shot, but to me, it's looking like Green's was. Kawhi's 3s don't even look close to going in on a lot of those misses. Very inconsistent misses. A lot of them are hitting the front of the rim, which is not good at all. I hope he can get back on track as soon as possible. I don't know if it's fatigue (hitting the front of the rim could mean he doesn't have his legs), or it could just mean he's in a slump? Without looking at numbers, I'd assume his 3pt percentage has gone down to the lowest of his NBA career?
    Last edited by Ice009; 03-24-2017 at 10:03 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This team desperately needs 2 scoring options, and that's only going to hapoen if LMA gets going. Now is a perfect time to give him some volume and get him warmed up for the playoffs. It's also a good time to give Kawhi a rest. KL looks a little worn down lately amd his shot is off as a result.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This team desperately needs 2 scoring options, and that's only going to hapoen if LMA gets going.
    Why does LMA have to be the only 2nd scoring option? I mean if LMA is hot, fine. If he is not, we die a slow 4 Dumb death.
    Why not have the entire team be the 2nd scoring option? Ball movement.

I'm not buying the notion that we cannot be a version of 2014. Beautiful Game Lite.
    Sucks balls that Murray is out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If your shot is hitting the front rim consistently, the answer is very simple: FATIGUE. Kwahi is expending a tremendous amount of energy on both ends of the court. It doesn't matter if you're in shape or not, the constant pressure on your play at both ends is wearing and if you have to--or try to-- bulldoze your way into a double or triple team you expend more energy than normally. The same thing is responsible for FTs hitting the front rim. And that usually comes at the end of the game.

That's why Pop tries to limit the minutes of players so the best players will be fresh at the end of the game.

Thread Information