Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wasn't trying to indicate anything. I was describing the athletic demands of the position, and it's the same thing from high school to the pros. Clog holes to force the running back to the outside, into your LBs or DEs. Get your hands up during a pass play to hopefully deflect a pass. Try to beat your man (using a swim, submarine, etc move) and get backfield penetration to hopefully flush/sack/pressure the QB or trip up a run.

You rarely have to sprint, jump high, juke, run and jump, catch, throw, lateral while playing the position. I'm not saying it requires zero athleticism (you have to be strong and decently quick, of course), but it's one of the least athletically demanding positions in all of sports. Pitching is categorically harder.
    that's like saying being an NBA big doesn't require athletic ability because in some tier high school there's a fat 6'4 kid who can't move who dominates the paint

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    that's like saying being an NBA big doesn't require athletic ability because in some tier high school there's a fat 6'4 kid who can't move who dominates the paint
    Philo still missing the point.

I'll simplify it:

"When these guy can play your sport, you know your sport isn't really all that athletically demanding."

I can cherry pick just like you cherry pick Colon.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ronaldo's taxes are legit tbh
    Dude...

1) biggest footboller= Messi. Everybodybody knows this.

2) https://www.google.com.ar/amp/www.bb...s/amp/38191470

Anyway, lol at anyone that thinks any millionaire (or any person for that matter) has never evaded taxes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Philo still missing the point.

I'll simplify it:

"When these guy can play your sport, you know your sport isn't really all that athletically demanding."

I can cherry pick just like you cherry pick Colon.
    that's not true. it's not like a physically fit 250 pound guy can do their job. otherwise we'd see 250 pound nose tackles. in recent history, the smallest successful nose tackle in the NFL i can remember was jay ratliff for the cowboys and he still weighed over 300 and didn't even play as a traditional 2 gapper

o-linemen have gotten bigger and stronger while maintaining lateral mobility. gene upshaw is a hall of fame guard who weighed 260 pounds. he'd get mauled by most started d-tackles today if he tried to play at that weight.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    that's not true. it's not like a physically fit 250 pound guy can do their job. otherwise we'd see 250 pound nose tackles. in recent history, the smallest successful nose tackle in the NFL i can remember was jay ratliff for the cowboys and he still weighed over 300 and didn't even play as a traditional 2 gapper

o-linemen have gotten bigger and stronger while maintaining lateral mobility. gene upshaw is a hall of fame guard who weighed 260 pounds. he'd get mauled by most started d-tackles today if he tried to play at that weight.
    Still missing the point.

Final point: Fat=/=unathletic.

I'm just playing the game you all play by cherry picking fat players as if it's evidence of anything. It's even more re ed to do it in sports where there's more specialized positions. I mean, Tom Brady ran a 5.28 40 (terrible time) at the combine, scouted as having weak arm strength (which he does compared to historical standards of the position), poor mobility (also scouted), and has a "dad bod." Yet he's the greatest football player ever.

So does Tom Brady being the GOAT invalidate football as an "athletic game?"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Still missing the point.

Final point: Fat=/=unathletic.

I'm just playing the game you all play by cherry picking fat players as if it's evidence of anything. It's even more re ed to do it in sports where there's more specialized positions. I mean, Tom Brady ran a 5.28 40 (terrible time) at the combine, scouted as having weak arm strength (which he does compared to historical standards of the position), poor mobility (also scouted), and has a "dad bod." Yet he's the greatest football player ever.

So does Tom Brady being the GOAT invalidate football as an "athletic game?"
    no, but quarterback is an independently unique position in the NFL (i dont count kickers and punters) where raw athletic ability doesnt have a proportional correlation to success (as long as you have ENOUGH to make the NFL, as in dont be a midget and dont have a total noodle arm). quarterback is a cerebral position above all else, the closest thing in beisbol is the catcher as far as the cerebral aspect.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    no, but quarterback is an independently unique position in the NFL (i dont count kickers and punters) where raw athletic ability doesnt have a proportional correlation to success (as long as you have ENOUGH to make the NFL, as in dont be a midget and dont have a total noodle arm). quarterback is a cerebral position above all else, the closest thing in beisbol is the catcher as far as the cerebral aspect.
    You got it now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    specifically referred to QB's in that sentence. that doesn't apply everywhere. for linemen, it matters. the best athlete isn't ALWAYS the best player, but the great ones are the ones who blend talent/work ethic with the natural ability you can't, like larry allen was for the cowboys, or how tyron smith IS for the cowboys. as a raider fan, you should watch kelechi osemele maul people. he's a great raw athlete. you rarely have fat gelatinous stiffs who play at a high level. even wilfork who you laughed at made a career out of being a ing wall who also had good movement.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    specifically referred to QB's in that sentence. that doesn't apply everywhere. for linemen, it matters. the best athlete isn't ALWAYS the best player, but the great ones are the ones who blend talent/work ethic with the natural ability you can't, like larry allen was for the cowboys, or how tyron smith IS for the cowboys. as a raider fan, you should watch kelechi osemele maul people. he's a great raw athlete. you rarely have fat gelatinous stiffs who play at a high level. even wilfork who you laughed at made a career out of being a ing wall who also had good movement.
    Same with baseball. Ortiz was clocking in a 3.72 second time on a stolen base last season, at 40 and with bad feet. He had a lead of about 8-10 feet. Put that in perspective, Ronaldo ran 82 feet in 3.61 seconds in that test I always link. I know lineman are athletic, which is why I'd never cherry pick them. I'm just calling out the "fat guy is good at the sport=not an athletic sport" logic.

Yeah, Osemele is a freak.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Too many dude gazers ITT

Thread Information