Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Inthe land of audiophiles angelbelow's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    James Gist: "Spurs sent me to Europe for a year"
    Brak Huerta, SpursReport
    Tuesday, November 04, 2008

This past summer, with the 57th overall selection, the Spurs picked James Gist, a 6-9 forward for Maryland.

In his senior year, 21-year-old Gist was named to the All-ACC Second Team and ACC All-Defensive Team after averaging 15.9 points and 7.9 rebounds.

Gist looked fantastic during Summer League play for the team often leading the team in scoring, but instead of heading to training camp, he surprised many fans by signing with a pro basketball club based in Biella, Italy.

There had been rumor that the team signed Gist, but for over a week, the Spurs denied or otherwise quieted those rumors and no official reports were substantiated until later- not long after Gist had been introduced to the media in San Antonio.

As it turned out, Gist headed to Europe under the advice of Gregg Popovich.

Gist has finally checked in after quietly disappeaing to Italy.

"I graduated from college, got drafted in the NBA by the San Antonio Spurs, and now I am Biella Italy, a beautiful city about an hour drive from Milan," writes Gist on his blog.

"I will consider myself blessed through this process; it's been a roller coaster but a fun experience. Waiting to get my name called on draft day was a nerve racking experience but nothing compares to walking up to the podium to receive my college degree from the University of Maryland. Playing in the NBA has always been my dream, I was very disappointed when the Spurs decided to send me overseas to play for a year, but I trusted their judgment and after speaking to coach Popovich I felt more comfortable, how can I dispute the judgment of a hall of famer like him."

Can we expect to see Gist in a Spurs uniform next season? It's much too early to tell but his skills have been improving and "I feel like I am already off the charts compared to when I was in Maryland."

"The players here are more experienced and more precise, in college you can get away with a mistake on defense, but here you pay for that mistake immediately, players do not miss when they are open!"

For now, he's simply learning to enjoy his experience in Italy.

"Being away from my family and friends has been the most challenging situation I have to deal with over here," writes Gist. "The culture, food and people are so breathtaking! I have been on the road so I have had the opportunity to see a lot of places in Italy and it's really beautiful, my team mates are the best, I had to get used to driving the small cars and the narrow roads but everything else is pretty much nice."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i got high expectation of gist, cause his the fists of fury the spurs lack

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm trying to comment, but theyreally make you jump threw hoops to do so. This is what I want to leave on his blog.

Hey, just so you know a good majority of the Spurs fans really wish Pop hadn't sent you off. I'll be civil, but let's just say you would be a huge help and even bigger improvement over some of the Spurs bigs getting minutes right now. You probably know the Spurs are 0-3, but I think they'd be 2-1 or even unbeaten with you in the rotation. We're all counting the days til you're back!!!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Send that Manufan909. I'd like to say that if he came to training camp and a spot was up for grabs between himself and Tolliver I think he would have destroyed Tolliver.
    Last edited by Ice009; 11-05-2008 at 05:11 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You can't overcome the power of the mancrush!!! I'll do it tomo when I have time, they have a bunch of little requirements, and I need to find a good pic of myself. Damn, it'd be awesome if he actually responded to me!!! Bet he'll know I mean Bonner.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i just hope, when the time comes, he doesn't pull a Splitter on the Spurs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think he and Pop have a "gentleman's agreement". Plus it was different with Tiago, he could decide just to stay home, Gist probably has a countdown device in his room to when the 09-10 traing camp begins.

If anyone knows the technical details, is it possible for Gist to the Spurs exactly like Splitter did, for the sake of m33po's arguement.

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My comment for Gist...

Hey James...I am a Spurs fan from Texas. I watched you all through the summer league and I was also disappointed that the Spurs sent you overseas. I and many other fans are very excited about you coming to play for us. We have been waiting for a player with your abilities for a long time, and its encouraging to hear that you feel that you are getting even better. Take care of yourself while you are there...can't wait to see you in silver and black. Ben

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    James Gist:
    As it turned out, Gist headed to Europe under the advice of Gregg Popovich.

..."Playing in the NBA has always been my dream, I was very disappointed when the Spurs decided to send me overseas to play for a year, but I trusted their judgment and after speaking to coach Popovich I felt more comfortable, how can I dispute the judgment of a hall of famer like him."
    But we have 3 years of Bonner, etc.
    Go Popapologists Go!

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    Gist won't pull a Splitter on the Spurs. Gist is from the United States and wants to play here.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I still don't understand why we sent him away..he's obviously raw, but he was EVERYTHING we lack on this team..athletic and plays solid defense..

It's a process... mexicanjunior's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I still don't understand why we sent him away..he's obviously raw, but he was EVERYTHING we lack on this team..athletic and plays solid defense..
    Yep, definitely a bad move considering the state of our defense, rebounding and Bowen's drop in production.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hope he is here next season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    this is ing bull . Gist would have been 100101010101001x better than Bonner

real fans go bald mountainballer's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    he looked decent in his first games in Italy. his team doesn't though.
    (12.5PPG, 5 RPG, 57%FG in 30 MPG)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Gist disappointed me. He sounds like Manu in the HEB commercial

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His speed, rebounding and shot blocking would look real nice right now

Inthe land of audiophiles angelbelow's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    next year baby, next year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i am not even sure Bonner could be a starter on a Euroleague team...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i am not even sure Bonner could be a starter on a Euroleague team...
    Bonner?

Eurolegue?

Bonner is worth 200 K/year maximum on a mediocre team in a national championship team.

He'd be sitting at the end of the bech on a top 16 Euroleague team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gist is doing OK, with a tendency to run into fouls trouble.

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bonner was already on the team, so it would have been Gist or Tolliver. I'd have taken Gist.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If this is not a joke..than Pop should be damned. I know he is a very intelligent guy,but this move suggest that Spurs got too many young star prospects and Gist should stay in Europe coz he wont got any minute in SA. ing dumb.
    Did he learn anything from Splitter case?? If Gist doing good in Italy, there is a strong possibility they will pay Gist top money and since he is young then he got time on his side..If I were him I will choose money so when I came to NBA I already got some in my banking account. The key is asking for at least 3 times what Spurs will give, if Tau give Splitter 8 times salary than asking for 3 times will make sense. He lives near Milan which got beautiful scenery, Italian girls are nice and sexy, cost of living is cheaper than US, less play so less injury, and more salary than what Spurs offer... I still consider this as a positive hopeful image projection of Spurs fans, because if its real than Pop is getting dumber and overestimate his current roster by keeping Finley and send him to Italy

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sweet Jesus, someone take at least 2 out of JV/Bonner/KT/Finley. I could see someone wanting a shooting big, but other than that I don't see anay of them leaving in a trade, unless someone has an even bigger lack of big men than the Spurs. McDyess would be looking damn good about now. Just waive KT!!!

Thread Information