Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So instead of turning the ball over 8 times in an NBA Finals game, he'll do it 6 times now?
    exactly.Ginoblii is done. He's had a great career, but the Spurs organization needs to stop this . If he doesn't retire, then let him sign somewhere else to turn the ball over

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He could play another season, but he should not get the juicy contract he got for several reasons.

This year was back pay. It came straight out of Holt's pocket, and didn't kill our cap situation. The Spurs won't give him anywhere near that much next year, and they won't have to.

I don't know for sure under the new CBA, but I think Manu's big salary this year will put a huge cap hold on the Spurs, so he would probably be the first player signed if they intend to keep him for another year. If they sign him for a 1-year min contract, the league even reimburses part of his salary. He could be really cheap to keep next year, TBH.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's been way better than some dudes in their twenties. It's amazing.
    He's definitely better than certain 34 year old guys.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This year was back pay. It came straight out of Holt's pocket, and didn't kill our cap situation. The Spurs won't give him anywhere near that much next year, and they won't have to.

I don't know for sure under the new CBA, but I think Manu's big salary this year will put a huge cap hold on the Spurs, so he would probably be the first player signed if they intend to keep him for another year. If they sign him for a 1-year min contract, the league even reimburses part of his salary. He could be really cheap to keep next year, TBH.
    Well that's exactly what I meant... I just used different expression... maybe it wasn't clear...

I still think he retires bc at some point it isn't worth it to come back for a min salary when I bet it takes a huge amount of discipline to even get on the court and be in his best shape... but then again look at Tim after retiring he still shows up to the gym bc he has that habit of training. Tim probably retired bc the knees told him "no más". Manu is not quite there yet with his body giving up on him but he's close and he can feel it. He's really at the point where he has to consider it year to year and how he feels physically after the season.

All the NBA contract stuff is extremely confusing to me so I dare not venture into what malabares Spurs will need to go through to reup him.

Spurs also have other FA to take care of so things get complicated.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Vince Carter is a year older than Manu, and playing pretty damn good for a guy his age. Last season he signed a 3-year, $12M deal. Manu got more than that in a 1-year contract.

I don't think anyone would give Manu a really big contract at his age, but I didn't think he would get the kind of offer(s) he said he got this year. Bottom line, it would be a crime for him to end his career anywhere else. And if he plays one year at the vet minimum, it would be like he got an average of about $8M per year for his last two years - which would have been a pretty reasonable deal. I'm really hoping that's what he is going to do.

IIRC, his $14M salary will create a $16.8M cap hold, because of his Bird rights. (There's another situation that calls for an "average salary" hold of about $6M, but I can't remember what triggers it.) If he signed for the minimum, he would get paid just over $1.5M, but the team would only get charged about $1M. If he signs for more than the min, the team would get charged for whatever they pay him, but at least it would clear the cap hold.

If I got that right, the Spurs could sign Manu for just $1M of cap space, and that would free them up to go after the other players they want. It would be stupid not to have him back for that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's amazing to me that he's not completely washed up at 40. You can tell he works hard and stays in great shape.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    2 year contract extension with minimum tbh

Great verteran player who can be a huge role player with regards to guiding the younger players like Simmons, Bertans, Murray, Anderson, etc.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If I got that right, the Spurs could sign Manu for just $1M of cap space, and that would free them up to go after the other players they want. It would be stupid not to have him back for that.
    If Manu is willing to take the min, the Spurs will renounce him and his cap hold, then sign him after all cap space is used. Same goes if they want to give him the room exception, but that might be saved for Lee.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People were so sure Manu was retiring, seems that may not be the case.

I hope he comes back. (for the right price of course) Idc how old he is, he does great things at times in that 2nd unit. His passion for the game still shows, and that 2nd unit will need it. No one has shown they can sort of take on more of what Manu does, so why not bring him back if he wants to.

Shhhh... I'll be gentle. TheDoctor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Manu is willing to take the min, the Spurs will renounce him and his cap hold, then sign him after all cap space is used. Same goes if they want to give him the room exception, but that might be saved for Lee.

I mentioned that they might renounce - they renounced Manu's Bird rights a couple of years ago. One way or the other, they are going to have to clear that cap hold. If they use the room exception, like you say, they are going to be hard-capped. That may or may not matter - there are too many moving pieces that we don't have any way of knowing right now.

Bottom line, I'm hoping this year's big contract was enough for Manu to sign for the vet min. He would be a of a bargain, because of the league's reimbursement.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mentioned that they might renounce - they renounced Manu's Bird rights a couple of years ago. One way or the other, they are going to have to clear that cap hold. If they use the room exception, like you say, they are going to be hard-capped. That may or may not matter - there are too many moving pieces that we don't have any way of knowing right now.

Bottom line, I'm hoping this year's big contract was enough for Manu to sign for the vet min. He would be a of a bargain, because of the league's reimbursement.
    I think all this depends on what the landscape of the rest of the league is and how things go for the team this postseason...if we get beat down and don't pass the first or second round I think it changes everything..but if we contend and can some how truly improve the team via Free Agency by signing CP3 etc and we were close or defending champs I think he'd help the team like he's always done in the past

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Exactly, he'll either be the first signed to free up space for the other dominos to fall or he gets renounced (retires or signs for min / LLE).

It'll be interesting to see how long he can go for beyond this year if at all. He has a lot less minutes than others at his age or younger given later entry into the league (less 82 game seasons) and bench minutes. He's also going to continue evolving his game and remain a positive contributor beyond what he gets paid (this year being the payback year as it had no impact on cap).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He won't have to be the first signed if he's wiling to take the min. SA will just renounce his rights and along with that his entire cap hold goes away. Then he can sign for the min after all their other moves.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He probably means he improved to 80% this year from his 30% the last few years.

Disagree btw. He improved to about 70% which is not bad

He could play 2 more years but Id give him 5 mins or less a game
    Wait, so you're savvy enough to know a difference between 70% and 80% in performance?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm only glad he's still feeling it and there's a possibility he'll come back another season....or two. Now I've been thinking this season was it for him, but maybe that's not the case.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can they sign him for 1 year at the min, then, he'll have a small cap hold, and they could sign him for whatever they want in a final year? In other words 1 year/minimum next year, then a new contract for a final year at whatever (assuming he signs last). The key is keeping that cap hold low.
    Last edited by BillMc; 03-25-2017 at 01:35 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Exactly, he'll either be the first signed to free up space for the other dominos to fall or he gets renounced (retires or signs for min / LLE).

It'll be interesting to see how long he can go for beyond this year if at all. He has a lot less minutes than others at his age or younger given later entry into the league (less 82 game seasons) and bench minutes. He's also going to continue evolving his game and remain a positive contributor beyond what he gets paid (this year being the payback year as it had no impact on cap).
    Basketball is basketball and he played plenty of it before coming over to the NBA tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Manu: I know I I can eat some hot dogs but I know it's not 50.

Yeah no .

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Basketball is basketball and he played plenty of it before coming over to the NBA tbh.
    You don't play 82 games plus playoffs - with 48 minute games - when you play in college or overseas. Huge difference.

Also, Diaw, Felton, Aldridge, Korver, etc. are among the many active players with more regular season minutes than Manu:
    http://www.basketball-reference.com/...mp_active.html

Can they sign him for 1 year at the min, then, he'll have a small cap hold, and they could sign him for whatever they want in a final year? In other words 1 year/minimum next year, then a new contract for a final year at whatever (assuming he signs last). The key is keeping that cap hold low.
    As long as they do it without renouncing him and it's not seen as cap manipulation (pre-existing "wink" that he'll get a big final year deal, then I don't see why not. And can probably keep his small cap hold after the min deal until the absolute end of FA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You don't play 82 games plus playoffs - with 48 minute games - when you play in college or overseas. Huge difference.

Also, Diaw, Felton, Aldridge, Korver, etc. are among the many active players with more regular season minutes than Manu:
    http://www.basketball-reference.com/...mp_active.html

As long as they do it without renouncing him and it's not seen as cap manipulation (pre-existing "wink" that he'll get a big final year deal, then I don't see why not. And can probably keep his small cap hold after the min deal until the absolute end of FA.
    Whatever, okay, sure.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Italian Cup, italian league and Europe Cup, plus international games with Argentina.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Italian Cup, italian league and Europe Cup, plus international games with Argentina.
    Yep, people have no idea what they're talking about. Dumb 'Mericans who think nothing happens outside the US. Disgusting.

Thread Information