Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Since i've last talked to you guys I've discovered how awesome MAME is, plan on building either a bartop or more likely just the joystick box, two player with trackball and ports and controllers in compartments for players 3 and 4. Portable as , just hook up to power and tv.
    mein negger

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think I'm finally going to order one of these kits off amazon today. I was really tempted to get an SNES Classic and then I figured well the first thing I'm going to do is hack that to put more games on. Then I thought well I'd like to play NES games on it too. Then I thought dumbass just make a RetroPie machine. I'll probably just buy the $50 kit on amazon with a Pi 3 model B, the two little heatsinks, power supply, and the clear cheap s . Not sure whether I want to use an 8Bitdo SNES30 wireless controller (seems to be really nice quality) or a Wii U Pro Controller though. I like the PS3 controller but I don't want to pay $40 used for one when I can just get the Wii U Pro Controller new for $50.

DarrinS, sickdsm, Chucho

A few quick questions for you guys who have done this:

* Can you configure everything through a bunch of XML files?
    * Have you gotten the Famicom Disk System up and running? I know that one you need to install a BIOS. The Japanese versions of Zelda and Metroid have much better music on FDS than on the NES.
    * If so, is there an easy way to flip the disk? Famicom floppy disks are two sides and games like Doki Doki Panic require you to flip the disk (it's great, it's what the US Super Mario 2 was based on).
    * Are multiple CD games a for PS1? Or is there an easy way to switch discs?
    * How is MAME compatibility? I know that'll probably be a to setup, MAME always has been.
    * There is no decent way to play Saturn, right?

I'm wanting to make one to play Atari 2600, Atari 5200, MAME, NES, Famicom, Famicom Disk System, Master System, Genesis, SNES, Game Boy, Game Boy Color, Game Boy Advance, and PS1. I don't want to hook a keyboard up (except for initial config) so I probably won't worry about MSX, C64, Amiga, Atari ST, and DOS.
    Answers some of your questions
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NtOCE1jb5k

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good find man. LOL I was watching that guy's videos last night and somehow missed the FDS one.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Haven't had the time to use it a long while, but I love using the PS3 generic remotes for it, easy to get them to work wireless, but on some of my cards, the wifi adapter didn't take, but got 10 ft charge cords from Monoprice for .75 each.
    Did you have to do any extra configuration to get your PS3 controller working well in wireless, or did you just have to enable the driver and that's it? I just tried it using Retropie 4.3 and the input lag is really noticeable using my Dualshock 3 in wireless mode. Like I'm missing easy jumps in Super Mario 1. It's reasonable when I connect it to the Pi wired but my 360 wireless controller is much better for input lag on the Pi. But the D-pad is so lousy on the 360 controller I'd prefer use something else (plus the 360 controller is amazing for PC gaming and I usually like to have it hooked to my computer).

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Did you have to do any extra configuration to get your PS3 controller working well in wireless, or did you just have to enable the driver and that's it? I just tried it using Retropie 4.3 and the input lag is really noticeable using my Dualshock 3 in wireless mode. Like I'm missing easy jumps in Super Mario 1. It's reasonable when I connect it to the Pi wired but my 360 wireless controller is much better for input lag on the Pi. But the D-pad is so lousy on the 360 controller I'd prefer use something else (plus the 360 controller is amazing for PC gaming and I usually like to have it hooked to my computer).
    I was noticing lag with wireless play and/or my configuration profiles defaulting too often. I just keep them wired to them when I hook it up for gaming.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was noticing lag with wireless play and/or my configuration profiles defaulting too often. I just keep them wired to them when I hook it up for gaming.
    OK thanks. I could just have a crap Dualshock 3 controller too, since my system is from 2008 that I bought used from Gamestop a few months ago (and for $40 lol, that's how much they charge for just the controller used). Wired it seems about on par with my wireless 360 controller. I wonder if the bluetooth driver is just crap in Retropie.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    OK thanks. I could just have a crap Dualshock 3 controller too, since my system is from 2008 that I bought used from Gamestop (and for $40 lol, that's how much they charge for just the controller used). Wired it seems about on par with my wireless 360 controller. I wonder if the bluetooth driver is just crap in Retropie.
    I bought a cheapie $5 BT adapter off Amazon and it didn't jibe with the Dualshock, but it works perfect with the mini keyboard remote I use for the Pi. Go figure.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Damn I should have built one of these the second DarrinS first posted about the Pi for a retro gaming console / HTPC. F-Zero and Super Mario World are glorious on the bigscreen and the Emulation Station interface is pretty slick on the Pi 3 (it's lousy on Windows though).

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Damn I should have built one of these the second DarrinS first posted about the Pi for a retro gaming console / HTPC. F-Zero and Super Mario World are glorious on the bigscreen and the Emulation Station interface is pretty slick on the Pi 3 (it's lousy on Windows though).
    FZero was the ! I was playing Forza 5 yesterday (monthly Gold freebie) and I was like "this just doesn't do it for me, I want an NES/SNES racer."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Damn I was going to buy a micro USB to USB cable with a power switch for this, then saw it uses 1.4W and thought who gives a , just run it 24/7/365. That's almost certainly less than the standby power consumption of any of my 360, PS3, PS4, Wii, PCs, monitors, TVs, etc.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    FZero was the ! I was playing Forza 5 yesterday (monthly Gold freebie) and I was like "this just doesn't do it for me, I want an NES/SNES racer."
    That soundtrack.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Turns out that guy is full of on flipping the disks. You have to press one button to eject the disk, another to flip, and then the first button to insert the disk. In this case eject/insert is RB by default while flipping the side of the disk is LB. So when you start the game it's on Side A. When it asks you to flip it and you press RB to eject the disk. Then LB flips the disk from Side A to Side B. Then RB inserts the disk back, now on Side B.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Turns out that guy is full of on flipping the disks. You have to press one button to eject the disk, another to flip, and then the first button to insert the disk. In this case eject/insert is RB by default while flipping the side of the disk is LB. So when you start the game it's on Side A. When it asks you to flip it and you press RB to eject the disk. Then LB flips the disk from Side A to Side B. Then RB inserts the disk back, now on Side B.
    Never used it, so I'll take your word for it. I just found the video :P

TRU 'cross mah stomach LaMarcus Bryant's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So are kids going with the kits now or buying all the parts individually for better performance?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So are kids going with the kits now or buying all the parts individually for better performance?
    Kits seem to be the easier route and good for newbies doing their first one. I'm going to be building a 3 in the next few months, do you know if it's possible to get it to perform well enough to play 64 les at normal rate thru ordering parts individually?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I bought this kit with Pi 3 Model B, power supply, case, and heatsinks:

https://www.amazon.com/CanaKit-Raspb...dp/B01C6EQNNK/

Whatever you do, don't buy one of the kits that come with controllers, because they're cheap Chinese crap with mushy buttons supposedly. Also make sure the flash come with is class 10 if you get one with a flash (I just bought a cheap 16GB class 10 micro SD card from Walmart though). I can't recommend the PS3 controller at all though, I got horrible performance using it wireless. My XBox 360 wireless controller (you need the PC dongle for it though) is pretty good, though the D-Pad sucks. I gotta try my PS4 controller and see how that works; see if Bluetooth is the problem for input lag or if it's just the PS3 driver being crap.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kits seem to be the easier route and good for newbies doing their first one. I'm going to be building a 3 in the next few months, do you know if it's possible to get it to perform well enough to play 64 les at normal rate thru ordering parts individually?
    If you lower resolution you can drive better performance in a lot of games, but N64 still seems like a mess from what I have read. It looks like there are some games like Conker's Bad Fur Day that you just can't run worth a on the Pi 3. The N64 emulator is supposed to be pretty bad on it. I'll install some N64 games and PSX games and report back later with my thoughts. I hope there is some way to play MAME without needing a keyboard to press ESC to kill the emulator when you want to go back to Emulation Station though. I really don't want to put a keyboard on my Pi, especially since it's easier to use Putty to SSH into the machine to modify the XML files for configuration (eg for games that Emulation Station can't scrape, for example).

So far I'm really loving this thing though. Being able to play NES, Famicom Disk System, SNES, Super Famicom, Genesis, and Master System games on one machine through a nice console interface is awesome. I gotta find how to change that stupid Mega Drive icon to Genesis though.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you lower resolution you can drive better performance in a lot of games, but N64 still seems like a mess from what I have read. It looks like there are some games like Conker's Bad Fur Day that you just can't run worth a on the Pi 3. The N64 emulator is supposed to be pretty bad on it. I'll install some N64 games and PSX games and report back later with my thoughts. I hope there is some way to play MAME without needing a keyboard to press ESC to kill the emulator when you want to go back to Emulation Station though. I really don't want to put a keyboard on my Pi, especially since it's easier to use Putty to SSH into the machine to modify the XML files for configuration (eg for games that Emulation Station can't scrape, for example).

So far I'm really loving this thing though. Being able to play NES, Famicom Disk System, SNES, Super Famicom, Genesis, and Master System games on one machine through a nice console interface is awesome. I gotta find how to change that stupid Mega Drive icon to Genesis though.

PS1 games run great on the Pi. Couldn't get Mario Kart 64 so had to work with Crash Team Racing, which is OK. I just really, really want to play the N64 wrestling games. 20 years later and still not a more fun wrestling game since...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    PS1 games run great on the Pi. Couldn't get Mario Kart 64 so had to work with Crash Team Racing, which is OK. I just really, really want to play the N64 wrestling games. 20 years later and still not a more fun wrestling game since...
    So far my scorecard for N64 on the Pi 3 with no tweaking yet goes:

Kobe Bryant's NBA Courtside - crashed in le screen
    Mario 64 - Mostly decent but with drops in the low 20s fps, but then crashed
    Mario Kart 64 - Plays pretty well so far. I'll drop the resolution later to get the performance to a locked 30 fps, but it's pretty good. Very playable so far.
    NFL Blitz - my rom didn't work
    NFL Blitz 2001 - A 5 fps slideshow, completely unplayable
    Zelda Ocarina of Time - Looks like a pretty steady 20 fps (which is what the original ran at)

TRU 'cross mah stomach LaMarcus Bryant's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I bought this kit with Pi 3 Model B, power supply, case, and heatsinks:

https://www.amazon.com/CanaKit-Raspb...dp/B01C6EQNNK/

Whatever you do, don't buy one of the kits that come with controllers, because they're cheap Chinese crap with mushy buttons supposedly. Also make sure the flash come with is class 10 if you get one with a flash (I just bought a cheap 16GB class 10 micro SD card from Walmart though). I can't recommend the PS3 controller at all though, I got horrible performance using it wireless. My XBox 360 wireless controller (you need the PC dongle for it though) is pretty good, though the D-Pad sucks. I gotta try my PS4 controller and see how that works; see if Bluetooth is the problem for input lag or if it's just the PS3 driver being crap.
    What about even older controllers? would rather use an older controller if it's smoother than a newer if it's clunkier

My Team
    Minnesota T'Wolves
    Post Count
    I haven't tinkered with mine lately, i have plans for either a portable or i did some bartering for a tankstick. I have like 4 or 5 128gb cards laying around with different images. One has a copy of Rey's image. I highly recommend either something like that or madlittlepixel 128gb image just to see which games are cool as . I have one that i'm setting up for my own. its more of novelty to say you have virtualboy games installed, i just wanted less clutter. I got sidetracked putting retroarch and a bunch of games on my chromebook for my kids.

I HIGHLY recommend dling the roms for tecmo bowl, rbi baseball etc... They are updated every year with rosters and also some neat features. Ive used hyperpie for my own image. All media is preinstalled, you just drop in the roms and it has intro video's, splash screens etc. that make it a really cool arcade like experience.

There's guys sticking them into original gameboy cases, adding buttons, etc. Really tricking them out. Think the finished product sells for about $450 lots of work into it.

I only play wired. too much trouble with bluetooth. I bought some iBuffalo snes controllers that are awesome but really dig a ageneric ps3 controller too. Guys are sticking the rpi3 inside the nes controller, but can't stand the idea of having cords going to power, hdmi, etc.....

My Team
    Minnesota T'Wolves
    Post Count
    So far my scorecard for N64 on the Pi 3 with no tweaking yet goes:

Kobe Bryant's NBA Courtside - crashed in le screen
    Mario 64 - Mostly decent but with drops in the low 20s fps, but then crashed
    Mario Kart 64 - Plays pretty well so far. I'll drop the resolution later to get the performance to a locked 30 fps, but it's pretty good. Very playable so far.
    NFL Blitz - my rom didn't work
    NFL Blitz 2001 - A 5 fps slideshow, completely unplayable
    Zelda Ocarina of Time - Looks like a pretty steady 20 fps (which is what the original ran at)

Best bet is to use Ps1 ports of whatever n64 game your into. Blitz on the ps1 works flawless

My Team
    Minnesota T'Wolves
    Post Count
    What about even older controllers? would rather use an older controller if it's smoother than a newer if it's clunkier
    There's a lot of high quality controllers out there. My iBuffalo has been thrown, stomped, strangled, etc by my kids and i can't tell the difference between that and the original SNES controller.

Theres usb adaptors for original controllers but you add to the cost.

My Team
    Minnesota T'Wolves
    Post Count
    Mario kart 64 plays flawless. Pi3?

there was some pretty cool MAME wrestling games, can't remember what they were though

My Team
    Minnesota T'Wolves
    Post Count

Seems that unless your using a premade image, a keyboard is almost a neccesity because your always tinkering. The wireless ones work fairly well. You need to use a keyboard to set up the hot keys in different emulators usually start and select at the same time to back out. HIGHLY recommend using hyperpie. Its a prettier version of retropie, you don't need to scrape anything. Plus if you want you can still use the retropie setup (i do) but there will be gameplay video's instead of a picture. no scaping neccesary, which is great because the scraper doesn't work very good at all

Thread Information