Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    My Team
    Minnesota T'Wolves
    Post Count
    Damn I was going to buy a micro USB to USB cable with a power switch for this, then saw it uses 1.4W and thought who gives a , just run it 24/7/365. That's almost certainly less than the standby power consumption of any of my 360, PS3, PS4, Wii, PCs, monitors, TVs, etc.
    You still need to shutdown via the menu. Can't just cut the power. I left mine on all the time but i had a big fan on it so that got old.

My Team
    Minnesota T'Wolves
    Post Count
    Damn I should have built one of these the second DarrinS first posted about the Pi for a retro gaming console / HTPC. F-Zero and Super Mario World are glorious on the bigscreen and the Emulation Station interface is pretty slick on the Pi 3 (it's lousy on Windows though).
    Hyperspin is what you would use on windows.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I haven’t messed with the retropie project in a while. I have one of those tankstick controllers configured and was going to build a bartop arcade, but decided against it. The tankstick is awesome for Mame, but awkward for emulators. That thing is heavy AF, too.

Emulation on cheap android tablets is a cool project, too.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's a lot of high quality controllers out there. My iBuffalo has been thrown, stomped, strangled, etc by my kids and i can't tell the difference between that and the original SNES controller.

Theres usb adaptors for original controllers but you add to the cost.
    I have heard that's a great controller, but have you used any wireless? Wireless is a must for me.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mario kart 64 plays flawless. Pi3?

there was some pretty cool MAME wrestling games, can't remember what they were though
    The only one I remember being fun was WWF WrestleFest, which was an early 90s le, so it still pales in comparison to the THQ/AKI N64 les, which were easy as an Arcade game to play and as deep as a console game. So, so simple and so addicting.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Seems that unless your using a premade image, a keyboard is almost a neccesity because your always tinkering. The wireless ones work fairly well. You need to use a keyboard to set up the hot keys in different emulators usually start and select at the same time to back out.
    Can you set that up in MAME in Retropie? I thought I read that MAME absolutely requires a keyboard since you need to press ESC to exit the games. I have been using Final Burn Alpha instead since I know you can just SELECT+START to get back to the menu in it.

I usually use SSH from my computer for doing config.
    Last edited by baseline bum; 10-06-2017 at 10:24 AM.

My Team
    Minnesota T'Wolves
    Post Count
    Can you set that up in MAME in Retropie? I thought I read that MAME absolutely requires a keyboard since you need to press ESC to exit the games. I have been using Final Burn Alpha instead since I know you can just SELECT+START to get back to the menu in it.

I usually use SSH from my computer for doing config.
    Absolutely. Each individual emulator has to be set up however. If your using final burn alpha to run your neo geo games, you have to configure that, when you run into a different emulator for other les, they each have to be configured. Once finalized the way you like it, a keyboard is not neccesary. I recomend a mini wireless keyboard for that but you obviously know what your doing moreso than I in that aspect.

The MAME setup is so difficult that's why i think trying out a premade image is enlightening. I can't get NBA showtime to work with sound but on the premade image it works flawlessly. It also is tedious to download romsets and trying to pick out which ones are hits without playing them or at the very least seeing the demo video in selection mode.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Absolutely. Each individual emulator has to be set up however. If your using final burn alpha to run your neo geo games, you have to configure that, when you run into a different emulator for other les, they each have to be configured. Once finalized the way you like it, a keyboard is not neccesary. I recomend a mini wireless keyboard for that but you obviously know what your doing moreso than I in that aspect.

The MAME setup is so difficult that's why i think trying out a premade image is enlightening. I can't get NBA showtime to work with sound but on the premade image it works flawlessly. It also is tedious to download romsets and trying to pick out which ones are hits without playing them or at the very least seeing the demo video in selection mode.
    Good to hear. I love MAME's configuration options and if I can do START+SELECT to kill it (and not be forced to have a keyboard connected every time I play) I would much rather use it than Final Burn Alpha for arcade games. I like being able to do like configure the TMNT and Simpsons arcade to control all four characters with the same controller so I have a wall of destruction when I play those.

My Team
    Minnesota T'Wolves
    Post Count
    Good to hear. I love MAME's configuration options and if I can do START+SELECT to kill it (and not be forced to have a keyboard connected every time I play) I would much rather use it than Final Burn Alpha for arcade games. I like being able to do like configure the TMNT and Simpsons arcade to control all four characters with the same controller so I have a wall of destruction when I play those.
    So annoying that theres different versions of games like MAME simpsons Once version is four player where player one is stuck with marge but two player version you can select charactors.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So annoying that theres different versions of games like MAME simpsons Once version is four player where player one is stuck with marge but two player version you can select charactors.
    I gotta do some research on romsets. MAME4all seems to be the best arcade emulator on Retropie but so few of my roms work on it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Man it almost seems random which arcade emulator is going to be able to play a given game well. Zaxxon only looks decent on the MAME 2000 emulator; it looks horrible on MAME 2003 and Final Burn Alpha. Ninja Baseball Batman only runs at a decent speed under MAME 2003. Shinobi's sound is awful in the MAME 2000 and 2003 romsets, so I use FBA for it. Same for TMNT. Gauntlet only has the correct sound in MAME 2000. Donkey Kong only seems to work properly in MAME 2000.
    Last edited by baseline bum; 10-07-2017 at 10:23 PM.

My Team
    Minnesota T'Wolves
    Post Count
    Man it almost seems random which arcade emulator is going to be able to play a given game well. Zaxxon only looks decent on the MAME 2000 emulator; it looks horrible on MAME 2003 and Final Burn Alpha. Ninja Baseball Batman only runs at a decent speed under MAME 2003. Shinobi's sound is awful in the MAME 2000 and 2003 romsets, so I use FBA for it. Same for TMNT. Gauntlet only has the correct sound in MAME 2000. Donkey Kong only seems to work properly in MAME 2000.
    kinda why i'll be trying premade images this winter again. Its a total crapshoot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    kinda why i'll be trying premade images this winter again. Its a total crapshoot.
    I can't find a good version of Pole Position I or II that works worth a crap on either of the two MAMEs or on Final Burn Alpha. The best working copy I found just turns at a 45 degree angle in whatever direction you choose.

Otherwise I got most other working great. I can't for the life of me figure why it won't scrape for RC Pro Am 1 or 2 on NES or Out Run on any of the arcade systems though. It's not like those are obscure games. Especially when it can scrape my BS Super Famicom games fine (BS Zelda and BS F-Zero 2 are great).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can't find a good version of Pole Position I or II that works worth a crap on either of the two MAMEs or on Final Burn Alpha. The best working copy I found just turns at a 45 degree angle in whatever direction you choose.
    Do you have an analog stick in your controller? IIRC, Mame will fix up digital controls at 45 degrees, but if you map an analog stick, you should have the fine tuned steering.

The game used some hardware to basically scale scanline groups to do the simulated perspective on the track, so I think it was fairly processor heavy. I wrote part of that driver, BTW.

My Team
    Minnesota T'Wolves
    Post Count

Otherwise I got most other working great. I can't for the life of me figure why it won't scrape for RC Pro Am 1 or 2 on NES or Out Run on any of the arcade systems though. It's not like those are obscure games. Especially when it can scrape my BS Super Famicom games fine (BS Zelda and BS F-Zero 2 are great).
    Would suggest you redo your setup with motion blue or hyperpie. Its still retropie, same setup but no scraping is neccesary. splash screens, intro's etc. are all preinstalled. you just add roms and configure.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Would suggest you redo your setup with motion blue or hyperpie. Its still retropie, same setup but no scraping is neccesary. splash screens, intro's etc. are all preinstalled. you just add roms and configure.
    I like the Emulation Station interface. Hyperpie looks super busy just like Hyperspin. I don't like that interface at all with the wheel and the video in the background. Emulation Station is so much simpler and cleaner. Besides, I just finished with all the config so all my games have box art and descriptions correctly set up. Now I just want to play games on it and I only have to worry about scraping if I add something new (and if the scrape fails it's easy enough to do it manually in the gamelists xml files).

Man I have been playing this RetroPie like crazy. I can't get enough of F-Zero on SNES and I'm loving Doki Doki Panic on the Famicom Disk System.

Come to think of it, I want to put some Neo-Geo roms on like Samurai Showdown and maybe install the WonderSwan emulator too, so I guess I'm not done with config just yet. You ever check the Metal Jesus Rocks channel on youtube? He has some great recommendations for old-school games as well as buying guides if you ever want to get the original hardware.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have an AIO I inherited from my sister that is lying around, I wanted to install something like retro pie on it and leave it for my kids but I haven't been able to figure out emulation station / retroarch, any recommendations for a front end that will allow the computer to boot straight in? Looked into hyperspin but it seems it's been phased out/surpassed by retroarch. I have a ton of emulators and roms already just need a way to organize them, really didn't like the retroarch interface. The AIO has windows but I can put Linux on it, I just dont know what front end is best

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Emulation Station is a front end to retroarch.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah I cant remember that we'll because I tried to set it up almost a year ago, but I got frustrated with retro arch menus, I would hit escape to go back and it would exit the program and have to start again, and emulation station I setup the directories but I just couldn't get it to actually start an emulator though I probably shouldn't have started with a Saturn emulator.. Should I try again with the same, try hyperspin? I'd be satisfied if I could get nes/snes /mame running with one front end.

My Team
    Minnesota T'Wolves
    Post Count
    I like the Emulation Station interface. Hyperpie looks super busy just like Hyperspin. I don't like that interface at all with the wheel and the video in the background. Emulation Station is so much simpler and cleaner. Besides, I just finished with all the config so all my games have box art and descriptions correctly set up. Now I just want to play games on it and I only have to worry about scraping if I add something new (and if the scrape fails it's easy enough to do it manually in the gamelists xml files).

Man I have been playing this RetroPie like crazy. I can't get enough of F-Zero on SNES and I'm loving Doki Doki Panic on the Famicom Disk System.

Come to think of it, I want to put some Neo-Geo roms on like Samurai Showdown and maybe install the WonderSwan emulator too, so I guess I'm not done with config just yet. You ever check the Metal Jesus Rocks channel on youtube? He has some great recommendations for old-school games as well as buying guides if you ever want to get the original hardware.

You can switch from attract mode to emulation station mode. That's what i do. no scraping nessasary but still has the intro video's, which i love. I understand what you mean about too busy though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kits seem to be the easier route and good for newbies doing their first one. I'm going to be building a 3 in the next few months, do you know if it's possible to get it to perform well enough to play 64 les at normal rate thru ordering parts individually?
    Have you ever heard of the Odroid XU4? I came across this today and the N64 emulation looks promising, though it costs twice as much as a Pi 3.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Have you ever heard of the Odroid XU4? I came across this today and the N64 emulation looks promising, though it costs twice as much as a Pi 3.

No, but looks awesome as . Been running P64 on my desktop to get my fix, altho hate using a dual shock for 64 games and always having to switch layout profiles depending on the game. Might order some cheapy usb 64 mockups if I can find a small enough case to put some old Dell guts in and maybe buy a cheapy wireless keyboard n mouse so I can keep it with the entertainment center and I can hardly deal with the clutter there already.

Thread Information