Page 55 of 56 FirstFirst ... 545515253545556 LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,375 of 1377
    My Team
    New Orleans Hornets
    Post Count
    Fish didn't even get a top 5 Yankee prospect in return?!?!

Lmao

adolis is altuve’s father monosylab1k's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Fish didn't even get a top 5 Yankee prospect in return?!?!

Lmao
    I seriously wouldn’t put it past the Yankees to have Jeter go “undercover” to make this trade possible. Everything he’s done as owner is a guy who clearly doesn’t care about the franchise he just took over.

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    em. We'll kick their ass again next year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jeter coming up clutch for the Yanks per par, tbh.

My Team
    New Orleans Hornets
    Post Count
    Derek Jeter only has 4% of the ownership. There are at least 5 partners in the group that have greater ownership shares. At the very least superficially, Jeter certainly gives off the appearance of corruption and collusion with the trade. I'm curious if the owners just gave Jeter general executive discretion or if Jeter actually approached them with the trade proposal and got approval before pulling the trigger.

If it weren't the Yankees, it wouldn't be so slimy. Miami didn't deserve Stanton anyway. It's a horrible sports town, rivaling the likes of Atlanta and Phoenix. They don't really care about their teams. Yet Miami wasn't only blessed with two World Series les late 90s, early 2000s, but they were also gifted a couple extra NBA les because LeBron's decision to play buddy ball with Wade and Bosh. Marlins fans deserve losing Stanton. Sucks it had to be to the Yankees.

Board Man Comes Home Clipper Nation's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    this Stanton trade is the most blatant example of collusion since the Gasol trade.

I don't see it, tbh. The Marlins had trades lined up with the Cardinals and Giants until Stanton refused to waive his no-trade clause for either team. If he had waived it, he'd be a Cardinal or a Giant right now. If he didn't want to be a Yankee, he wouldn't be one right now. Collusion would be a waste of time and effort when the player in question can just reject any trade.

As for the idea that Jeter "gutted the team" - he had to do it for the financial health of the franchise. Loria left the Marlins saddled with $400 million in debt. They've been operating at a loss for years. Stanton's contract was insane when they signed it and any new owner was going to trade him ASAP.

I agree that the optics of Jeter trading his new team's best player to his old team are terrible, but that's all it appears to be: optics.
    Last edited by Clipper Nation; 12-10-2017 at 03:13 PM.

My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    Derek Jeter only has 4% of the ownership. There are at least 5 partners in the group that have greater ownership shares.
    This is true, but Jeter is in charge of the Marlins' baseball operations, so this trade is ultimately his responsibility.

My Team
    New Orleans Hornets
    Post Count
    That was point. He's making the decision while his investment risk pales in comparison to several of the other owners. Hence, it looks extra fishy. Would it surprise anyone if Jeter in a few years sells all or most of his ownership shares back to the ownership group or to another investor, the way Jay-Z did with the Brooklyn Nets?

The part of Stanton refusing to go to the Giants and Cardinals is true. But that doesn't mean the deal to the Yankees isn't super shady. They gave away Stanton for peanuts. Stanton wanted to go to LA. Jeter could have given a sweetheart deal to the Dodgers or Angels. He didn't. Starlin Castro and two lower level prospects, neither higher than #9 on the Yankees prospect rankings for the best power hitter in an era of power hitting likely since a juiced Barry Bonds. Its hard to believe that was the best trade package they could get in return from any team Stanton would agree to go to.

My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    I will say this - Jeter seems to be going out of his way to make the optics look as bad as possible:

Jeter needs to man up and at least give the fans, media and league an explanation for how the Stanton trade played out. It's pretty pathetic to hide from the winter meetings.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Shotime in Anaheim

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ya finding it hard to believe the Angels did not have a better offer then the Skankies for Stanton.
    Dodgers too.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    https://www.yahoo.com/sports/yu-darv...22.html?exp=vv

So Yu was tipping his pitches in the World Series, which explains how atrocious he was. Big question is, how did the Dodgers coaching staff not notice this? He was doing the exact same thing earlier in the year with Texas, you would think they’d be on alert and paying better attention to him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.yahoo.com/sports/yu-darv...22.html?exp=vv

So Yu was tipping his pitches in the World Series, which explains how atrocious he was. Big question is, how did the Dodgers coaching staff not notice this? He was doing the exact same thing earlier in the year with Texas, you would think they’d be on alert and paying better attention to him.
    Asians are suppose to be smarter than this. He's disgraced the family

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Matt Kemp back to the Doyers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Matt Kemp back to the Doyers.
    Welcome home, but he's past it. Can't stay healthy, and even when he did put up good numbers after his post-MVP level year, his WAR was always pretty below average. Baseball's weird now, becoming a young man's sport. Seems when modern players hit 30, they trend downward real fast.

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/hitt...-only-decline/

Could be the crackdowns on PEDs and such.

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    Gerrit Cole to the Stros for trash

My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    Another Expo is headed to Cooperstown!

lefty

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Chipper Jones, Vladimir Guerrero, Jim Thome, and Trevor Hoffman. Glad they got it right this year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Another Expo is headed to Cooperstown!

<b><a href="http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=6896" target="_blank">lefty</a></b>
    Det Arm.

My Team
    New Orleans Hornets
    Post Count
    I've been watching baseball since the mid 80s, so I won't pretend to know about players before then but for my money, Vlad was the best bad pitch hitter I've ever watched. There's often a video of him drilling a single off of a pitch that bounced up to the plate. And he was quite literally the type to be able to hit from helmet to shoestrings. Hand-eye coordination and reaction time as ridiculous as it comes. Well deserved.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One week away from pitchers and catcher reporting and we've still got them big FAs on the market. Really hope GM's are able to stick to their guns and refrain themselves from handing out those 5yr+ mega deals.

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count

That hat is sweet.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Even playing DH and on his last legs, he was still the most exciting player of that 2010 Rangers team. Well deserved, it’s just a shame he played in the steroid era and never truly got the recognition he deserved as a player. At least he’s getting it now, he was 100x the player Sosa was.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Yu signs with the Cubs. 6/$126

I thought for sure he’d come back to Texas. At least he didn’t go to Houston.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2...th-126-million

My Team
    New Orleans Hornets
    Post Count
    Considering how frigid the free agent market has been with the bigger name free agents, it’s a pretty good deal for Yu. I was starting to think we’d only be seeing 4-5 year deals to the more expensive free agents. mlbtraderumors predicted $160M over 6 for Yu. And if he reaches his incentives, that’s still pretty close. Question is will other teams follow suit by giving up 6 year deals to the marquee guys or keep holding out for shorter 3-5 year contracts.

Thread Information