Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop got disgusted when fathead couldn't bring the ball up the floor without dribbling it out of bounds.
    Anderson has no business being in this series. I think Pop has lost whatever fire and edge he had. And a Duncan. I think he's gotten lazy and just tries some drastic to see if it works.

Like a poker player going on tilt.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    seriously though, pop is way too ing cute, way too enamored with his reputation, and he gives up way too easily

a rebound away from your 5th championship and he subs the greatest player to ever carry his ass
    now he just waves the white flag the second he feels like he might get humiliated again
    "you didnt beat us we just stopped playing" yeah pop my 10 year old son would coach that way too

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But Pop knew he was dealing with the momentum from Fizdale's meltdown. He'll be better next game. He expects to see SA show Memphis respect, play hard defense, not that Pau and David Lee were doing by letting fat ass Zbo dunk down a wide open lane.

It doesn't matter though, whether its Memphis or the next team. The Spurs have a glass ceiling called the Warriors. There's no trophy in store for winning the 1st or 2nd round, and unlike the Clippers they don't hang division banners.

Lol. I hope it's just a glass ceiling. Our backcourt tells me, it's ing concrete. I'm still not giving up, but I've accepted the fact that the Spurs will need some opponents to have some terrible games.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There is a reason Pop wants no part of assertive and outspoken African american players. Him being a fan of Kobe/Lebron is one of the biggest facade put up in the entire league all over those years..

Going to be interesting to see how he deals with all those characters in Team USA..
    They will try to "re-accommodate" him if he tries to pull his egotistical on them.

hope and change
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Starters weren't going to comeback. Stupid to have them play hard and risk injury, plus... them they weren't playing with any intensity. This guy has won championships doing this, you think you'd be used to it.
    Tim Duncan won championships, Pop helped about as much as Spoelstra/Lou

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anderson has no business being in this series. I think Pop has lost whatever fire and edge he had. And a Duncan. I think he's gotten lazy and just tries some drastic to see if it works.

Like a poker player going on tilt.
    Like a play money poker player going all in every hand. He's got on paper a decent squad. They have a good record. They have a sterling reputation. They'll fold like hot sheets out of a dryer as soon as they meet a team with more than one offensive threat.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    seriously though, pop is way too ing cute, way too enamored with his reputation, and he gives up way too easily

a rebound away from your 5th championship and he subs the greatest player to ever carry his ass
    now he just waves the white flag the second he feels like he might get humiliated again
    "you didnt beat us we just stopped playing" yeah pop my 10 year old son would coach that way too

Bold this man

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Like a play money poker player going all in every hand. He's got on paper a decent squad. They have a good record. They have a sterling reputation. They'll fold like hot sheets out of a dryer as soon as they meet a team with more than one offensive threat.
    I don't know about all that. I'm just saying Pop might be too lazy to grind it out. You have one of the best players in the league. There's no other coach in the league that benches their best player in a critical game like that. And it's not like Leonard ed up terribly. Benching the whole team was basically admission that Pop wasn't cognizant enough to identify what the specific issues were. I'm not sure if he even pays much attention to the game. Maybe he looks up at the score once in awhile.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't know about all that. I'm just saying Pop might be too lazy to grind it out. You have one of the best players in the league. There's no other coach in the league that benches their best player in a critical game like that. And it's not like Leonard ed up terribly. Benching the whole team was basically admission that Pop wasn't cognizant enough to identify what the specific issues were. I'm not sure if he even pays much attention to the game. Maybe he looks up at the score once in awhile.
    No, else they'd be the Grizzlies or Jazz or some other cusp team. Pop has a reason, it doesn't make sense and if it doesn't pan out it never will, but to him it does. He knows it's a series, not a single game. Remember against the Thunder when Pop did something similar and CoJo went top shelf on Ibaka? That ignited the Spurs who would go on to win the series and make the Finals, and I think to win the ring (don't recall which year that was tbh). Either way it was one of those moments that trash ball was happening but the Thunder kept their players in because they stat padded like (like Doc's players). As if they were going to win 3 games in one night.

It annoys me too, but I think he doesn't get that worked up over it. He just knows they aren't in synch for whatever reason. Tbh, they should have been up double digits at the half but they were playing like . Manu has dropped off the face of the planet, not sure what happened to him but he even looks like he's different, in the face and his body language.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No, else they'd be the Grizzlies or Jazz or some other cusp team. Pop has a reason, it doesn't make sense and if it doesn't pan out it never will, but to him it does. He knows it's a series, not a single game. Remember against the Thunder when Pop did something similar and CoJo went top shelf on Ibaka? That ignited the Spurs who would go on to win the series and make the Finals, and I think to win the ring (don't recall which year that was tbh). Either way it was one of those moments that trash ball was happening but the Thunder kept their players in because they stat padded like (like Doc's players). As if they were going to win 3 games in one night.

It annoys me too, but I think he doesn't get that worked up over it. He just knows they aren't in synch for whatever reason. Tbh, they should have been up double digits at the half but they were playing like . Manu has dropped off the face of the planet, not sure what happened to him but he even looks like he's different, in the face and his body language.

IDK. Maybe. But you try something enough, it will work. And if you get a ring in the process, you're a genius. Pop definitely gave up one. 2014 redeemed him to everyone but he should have had 2013. We'll never know how another coach would have done. But it's still hard to fathom they never repeated. Not saying it's all Pops fault by any means. Without him, Spurs probably don't have Manu and Parker. And maybe Duncan doesn't stay. But some of his in game decisions in critical moments are confounding. But of course it's all hindsight. But there have been plenty of WTF decisions that were recognized at the time. When Phil and Riley had their prime players, they repeated. Pop never did.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And he only made the Finals twice in a row one time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    IDK. Maybe. But you try something enough, it will work. And if you get a ring in the process, you're a genius. Pop definitely gave up one. 2014 redeemed him to everyone but he should have had 2013. We'll never know how another coach would have done. But it's still hard to fathom they never repeated. Not saying it's all Pops fault by any means. Without him, Spurs probably don't have Manu and Parker. And maybe Duncan doesn't stay. But some of his in game decisions in critical moments are confounding. But of course it's all hindsight. But there have been plenty of WTF decisions that were recognized at the time. When Phil and Riley had their prime players, they repeated. Pop never did.
    We know what 29 other coaches didn't do.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And he only made the Finals twice in a row one time.
    He's rarely had the far and away best team. He's had to beat the stacked teams to get anything. Had to beat the Lakers, the SSOL, the Heatles, the Pistons who were probably our hardest out and who were defending champs, having beaten probably the most talented team ever assembled (on paper). He had to beat Lebron 2x. Had to beat the good versions of the Knicks and the Nets.

You think that's luck? 5 is 5. Same as Phil has after he left Chicago and had numerous stacked teams and 140m a year in salary.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Surprisingly the media did ask the players about it:

Here's Poop's response:

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's rarely had the far and away best team. He's had to beat the stacked teams to get anything. Had to beat the Lakers, the SSOL, the Heatles, the Pistons who were probably our hardest out and who were defending champs, having beaten probably the most talented team ever assembled (on paper). He had to beat Lebron 2x. Had to beat the good versions of the Knicks and the Nets.

You think that's luck? 5 is 5. Same as Phil has after he left Chicago and had numerous stacked teams and 140m a year in salary.
    No...it's not luck. But you're over estimating a lot of those Eastern teams in those years. Other than that Pistons team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pulling the starters is playing the long game imo... he leaves the starters in and there's a good chance they keep it within striking distance and wake up in the 4th. If they want to advance to the WCF and have any kind of miracle chance of beating GS, they can't come out like they did in the 3rd quarter. If that's the reason Pop pulled them like that, then I'm for it.

Most likely though, Pop is an egotistical control , LMA and Pau are pussies, Kawhi choked, TP and Manu are tosbs, and Green and Patty suck. ;

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sam Presti was credited for discovering Parker, while PATFO got very lucky for selecting Ginobili as an afterthought after getting their man in Giricek.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pulling the starters is playing the long game imo... he leaves the starters in and there's a good chance they keep it within striking distance and wake up in the 4th. If they want to advance to the WCF and have any kind of miracle chance of beating GS, they can't come out like they did in the 3rd quarter. If that's the reason Pop pulled them like that, then I'm for it.

Most likely though, Pop is an egotistical control , LMA and Pau are pussies, Kawhi choked, TP and Manu are tosbs, and Green and Patty suck. ;
    Don't forget afathead has no business playing and Simmons is a scrub...

we are leaving Dijon and Davis out of it bc it's not their season to save but I am sure guys will cook something up for next season... along the lines of how skinny one is and how the other doesn't grab a rebound to save his life and gets bullied by true bigs. Lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Surprisingly the media did ask the players about it:

Here's Poop's response:

Manu didn't sound too happy with the decision.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Literally zero production from Parker and Manu

TP blew his load, it's obvious his production was gonna drop off. Manu too, old af, at this point I aint event mad at TP and Manu, they just dont have it physically anymore obviously. Lee and Dedmon basically no impact in the game, what happens when Pau stops hitting 3s? Its gonna happen sooner or later. Basically Kawhi needs to score 30+ every night, Aldridge at least 20, then a couple of players need to get hot, Mills etc... just to get past the Grizzlies.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's obvious pop made a mistake to pull the starters in the first minute of the 3rd quarter.In his press conference he actually spoke on the topic of some type of emotion, being his frustration. He also mentioned how he was disappointed. Disappointed his starters didn't respond with the proper fear to start the 3rd and disappointed his bench couldn't make some type of response, they had proven all year they were capable of that, and probably disappointed in the very decision.

The spurs battled hard in the first half and were only down by four when memphis was rolling. The incident to start the 3rd quarter happened and the game just got away. It's obvious pop wishes he could take it back, you don't think he's human and thoughts are not going through his brain? It was a horrible decision to not let our guys fight through the turmoil as they had all of the first half, no he f-ed up, everyone sees it.

The starters come back in at the 8 minute mark, and for Kawhi to not take it upon himself at that point and lead by example and bail pop out and dominate like he's supposed to dominate, was also very disappointing. That's the next step in his game that he needs to take. Instead of steadying the ship like Timmy might have been able to, he let memphis tip us over. Instead of fighting with every ounce of strength to get us back into this game, he folded, into a passive state. He's missing that killer instinct that a kobe had, and a manu had. He needs to realize sometimes it's going to be on him and only him to win a basketball game. He should have had pops back, cause coaches make mistakes too.

Timmy covered up 1000x mistakes and flaws in the spurs, pop toasts to it at all team dinners from what I've read. Thank Timmy for this, this is all because of Timmy. Kawhi needs to become that guy to be the best player in the NBA and for us to have a chance at beating the warriors. Everyone who knows and watches ball can see he has the talent. Timmy is gone, it's his time to become that guy. He should have had pops back, or should have at least fought like he had his back.

But Saturday will be here quick and he'll get another chance. Kawhi will dominate. Spurs in 5.

Born Slippy
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    May not agree with it but sending a msg during the rugular season to his players i understand. Its pops style.

Benching starters 1min into the third, down 9 of a playoff game is crazy . Cant remember the last time pop did this if ever.

Theres been plenty of games this season where the team has been down like this in the second half , has regrouped to win. Doesnt make sense when all was needed is a timeout & a earful from pop.

Getting too old for the nba perhaps. Losing patience quicker is a old person trait.
    Last edited by Slippy; 04-21-2017 at 04:25 AM.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop didn't go far enough tbh
    He should've rested Kawhai and LA cause the NBA's prescripted narrative guaranteed a Spurs loss.

From the hilarious script Fisdale's rant which believe me was written and prepared in advance and most likely approved of by Grizz ownership all probably cleared at NBA HQ to the fake Conley 500 ticket giveaway that was surely a front office stunt,no player is forking out that dough lmfao,though Conley should counter to popular narrative he's the most overpaid PG in the league.

NBA needs a narrative as other series are boring and they know Patfo won't play those games so they run them

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The benching was inexplicable and a bad idea. But claims that it definitely cost the team the game are just plain untrue. Nobody can know what would have happened, the Spurs very well could have lost anyway.

Board Man Comes Home Clipper Nation's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    Poop needs to stop letting P0rker "pull him back in," tbh.

Thread Information