Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    faggy opinion + certainty Mark Celibate's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    the media eats this up, too, tbh..

"oh that silly Pop!! only he would make a move like this!!"
    Yeah the media obsession with Pop is at strange levels. There's a semen cloud over ESPN studios every time he takes a breath.

"Oh, you better behave in San Antonio no matter who you are! Yuck yuck good 'ol pop! what a class act"

Everything he does is a class act because he has 5 rings. He was a complete asshole to Sager for years, but in some weird distortion of reality, it was called "class".

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i'm not sure what to think of the move. he did the same in 2014 against OKC and the move seemed to work. fact is, we were getting our asses handed to us so getting parker and green off the court wasn't all that terrible. in fact, when LMA came back he seemed more focused. i think the squad comes back with greater focus in game 4. on a side note, murray got some great PT and it was hilarious that manu was kept out entirely.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's rarely had the far and away best team. He's had to beat the stacked teams to get anything. Had to beat the Lakers, the SSOL, the Heatles, the Pistons who were probably our hardest out and who were defending champs, having beaten probably the most talented team ever assembled (on paper). He had to beat Lebron 2x. Had to beat the good versions of the Knicks and the Nets.

You think that's luck? 5 is 5. Same as Phil has after he left Chicago and had numerous stacked teams and 140m a year in salary.
    you'll never convince the self proclaimed experts here that they are off on their takes regarding pop. apparently, years of watching basketball on TV makes one an authority on the sport.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Pop wanted to send a message he should have benched Parker and Dedmon, the 2 guys who actually made mistakes. That would have shown that Pop wasn't tolerating any mistakes, or he could have gone the Murray or Bertans route to try and get a spark with the rest of the SL. There's just so many other things Pop could have done (and has done in the past) that gets the message across without shooting the team in the foot. Who knows though, if the team straightens out then maybe there really is a method to the madness. It just didn't work last night.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah the media obsession with Pop is at strange levels. There's a semen cloud over ESPN studios every time he takes a breath.

"Oh, you better behave in San Antonio no matter who you are! Yuck yuck good 'ol pop! what a class act"

Everything he does is a class act because he has 5 rings. He was a complete asshole to Sager for years, but in some weird distortion of reality, it was called "class".
    No one gave 2 s about Sager until he was diagnosed with cancer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop didn't go far enough tbh
    He should've rested Kawhai and LA cause the NBA's prescripted narrative guaranteed a Spurs loss.

From the hilarious script Fisdale's rant which believe me was written and prepared in advance and most likely approved of by Grizz ownership all probably cleared at NBA HQ to the fake Conley 500 ticket giveaway that was surely a front office stunt,no player is forking out that dough lmfao,though Conley should counter to popular narrative he's the most overpaid PG in the league.

NBA needs a narrative as other series are boring and they know Patfo won't play those games so they run them
    I don't get the 9PM starts for the Spurs. That's ludicrous. You play till 11pm at night. They should all start around the same time, and you should be able to select which one you want to watch. TNT.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No...it's not luck. But you're over estimating a lot of those Eastern teams in those years. Other than that Pistons team.
    Dude, there are 30 teams in the league every year. Every year 29 of them go home without a ring. You can only beat who you have in front of you, but you have to get there first. So are you saying Pop is overrated because the rest of the league is weak? As if Pop has other-worldly level talent on his roster?

Tim, Tony, Manu. Everyone else was a scrub until Kawhi. That's basically the truth.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This will all come out in the wash by the end of the week. Spurs in 5.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's obvious pop made a mistake to pull the starters in the first minute of the 3rd quarter.In his press conference he actually spoke on the topic of some type of emotion, being his frustration. He also mentioned how he was disappointed. Disappointed his starters didn't respond with the proper fear to start the 3rd and disappointed his bench couldn't make some type of response, they had proven all year they were capable of that, and probably disappointed in the very decision.

The spurs battled hard in the first half and were only down by four when memphis was rolling. The incident to start the 3rd quarter happened and the game just got away. It's obvious pop wishes he could take it back, you don't think he's human and thoughts are not going through his brain? It was a horrible decision to not let our guys fight through the turmoil as they had all of the first half, no he f-ed up, everyone sees it.

The starters come back in at the 8 minute mark, and for Kawhi to not take it upon himself at that point and lead by example and bail pop out and dominate like he's supposed to dominate, was also very disappointing. That's the next step in his game that he needs to take. Instead of steadying the ship like Timmy might have been able to, he let memphis tip us over. Instead of fighting with every ounce of strength to get us back into this game, he folded, into a passive state. He's missing that killer instinct that a kobe had, and a manu had. He needs to realize sometimes it's going to be on him and only him to win a basketball game. He should have had pops back, cause coaches make mistakes too.

Timmy covered up 1000x mistakes and flaws in the spurs, pop toasts to it at all team dinners from what I've read. Thank Timmy for this, this is all because of Timmy. Kawhi needs to become that guy to be the best player in the NBA and for us to have a chance at beating the warriors. Everyone who knows and watches ball can see he has the talent. Timmy is gone, it's his time to become that guy. He should have had pops back, or should have at least fought like he had his back.

But Saturday will be here quick and he'll get another chance. Kawhi will dominate. Spurs in 5.
    Good post... 1 post count and this one is it.
    well said.
    I think Kawhi will be upset and come back with fire and I think the rest of the team too.
    For what it's worth, the young players Pop had in the 4th Q fought hard and some of them discovering their games in the playoffs and showing confidence is a good thing.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The move was somewhat head scratching but I can't make judgement until Game 4 is played.

I understand Pop frustration though..Spurs played like the first half and missed a ton of FT's and the focus and urgency was lacking. I left to go get food in the 2nd quarter cause I could feel the momentum and energy...Spurs didn't look ready.

People are asking why Pop just didn't call a TO?? They literally just left the locker room and I'm sure he said what was needed to be said and it didn't work..

The lack of energy and focus continued..YOU CANNOT TURNOVER THE BALL INBOUNDING AFTER A MAKE!! Pop didn't waive the white flag he just tried to send a message and it didn't work.

The team came out flat but that's expected when you completely dominate for 85% of the first two games..Grizz had their backs against the wall and felt inspired by their coaches rant...

Again we can judge this move after Game 4. If we win it won't matter and it could be the thing that lit a fire..or we can lose Game 4 and look back on this and use this as the swing in the series

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    how dare Pop lose a playoff game!! We should go 16-0!

I wasn't a fan of the the benching, and i don't like watching Kyle Anderson attempt to play NBA level basketball, but the team flat out stank last night. The Grizzlies were on fire from downtown, and Gasol and Randolph were playing very physical in the post. Gotta give them their props there.

Before last might we'd won 10 straight playoff games against them. They were due.

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's obvious pop made a mistake to pull the starters in the first minute of the 3rd quarter.In his press conference he actually spoke on the topic of some type of emotion, being his frustration. He also mentioned how he was disappointed. Disappointed his starters didn't respond with the proper fear to start the 3rd and disappointed his bench couldn't make some type of response, they had proven all year they were capable of that, and probably disappointed in the very decision.
    Second year in a row he calls out that god awful bench. They've really ted the bed the last 3 years, getting shat on by Austin Rivers and Big Baby, Kanter and Adams, Vince Carter and Ennis...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

It's because he speaks out against trump.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    by the way, on the FSN broadcast, neither elliott or land made any comments about the move. i mean, they come back from the break and all the starters are off and they just kept going off on one of their tangents, as usual.

2004-2005 NBA Champions Barfunk's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agree with most everyone here. I thought I was hallucinating when I came back to notice that Kawhi was out of the game at the 10 minute mark. ing disgraceful by Pop. Really makes your blood boil as a fan. The only way he makes up for that is a championship this year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    by the way, on the FSN broadcast, neither elliott or land made any comments about the move. i mean, they come back from the break and all the starters are off and they just kept going off on one of their tangents, as usual.
    Typical...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If they would've talk about it, then during mid qtr timeout they would have also be subbed out and the new guys on the telecast would've carried on with nary a peep of bill land and Sean.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    2015-2017, has Pop been the worst playoff coach on a contender?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Surprisingly the media did ask the players about it:

Here's Poop's response:

"Does it surprise you that Pop would do that in a playoff game"

"uh no"

LMAO

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Outside of Leonard, I didn't have a problem with it. As cliché as it sounds, it was obvious they didn't have the same intensity as the Grizzlies and the usual laboring offense was about to go into full effect. He tried to pre-emptively guard against it; it just didn't work this time.

I don't care if "the deficit was only 9 and the Grizzlies are a mediocre team", you've got to take things on a case by case basis and not just default to sweeping generalizations. Other than Leonard, this is a team that requires constant mixing and matching to be at their best. They can't sustain anything because unfortunately their fortunes are still largely tied to whether at least one of Parker or Ginobili "has it" that night.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dude, there are 30 teams in the league every year. Every year 29 of them go home without a ring. You can only beat who you have in front of you, but you have to get there first. So are you saying Pop is overrated because the rest of the league is weak? As if Pop has other-worldly level talent on his roster?

Tim, Tony, Manu. Everyone else was a scrub until Kawhi. That's basically the truth.
    I'm saying that Pop makes some dumb in game decisions. And they seem to be getting more frequent with his age. Why is it so hard to believe that he might be mentally slipping? It's what happens when people get old.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh look, OKC gives up the lead because they gave up a 9-0 run out of the half. Donovan calls a timeout but instead of going on an ego trip he leaves his best horses in and OKC comes back, regains the lead, and pushes it back up to 7.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh look, OKC gives up the lead because they gave up a 9-0 run out of the half. Donovan calls a timeout but instead of going on an ego trip he leaves his best horses in and OKC comes back, regains the lead, and pushes it back up to 7.
    Oh look, Thunder are down 0-2. Spurs are up 2-1.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm saying that Pop makes some dumb in game decisions. And they seem to be getting more frequent with his age. Why is it so hard to believe that he might be mentally slipping? It's what happens when people get old.
    You went from saying something everyone might agree with to saying Pop was never that good, that he never beat any good teams, that's he's been overrated because he had Tim Duncan.

"But you try something enough, it will work. And if you get a ring in the process, you're a genius. Pop definitely gave up one. 2014 redeemed him to everyone but he should have had 2013. We'll never know how another coach would have done. But it's still hard to fathom they never repeated. Not saying it's all Pops fault by any means. Without him, Spurs probably don't have Manu and Parker. And maybe Duncan doesn't stay. But some of his in game decisions in critical moments are confounding. But of course it's all hindsight. But there have been plenty of WTF decisions that were recognized at the time. When Phil and Riley had their prime players, they repeated. Pop never did."

This has absolutely zero to do with this:

"I'm saying that Pop makes some dumb in game decisions. And they seem to be getting more frequent with his age."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You went from saying something everyone might agree with to saying Pop was never that good, that he never beat any good teams, that's he's been overrated because he had Tim Duncan.

"But you try something enough, it will work. And if you get a ring in the process, you're a genius. Pop definitely gave up one. 2014 redeemed him to everyone but he should have had 2013. We'll never know how another coach would have done. But it's still hard to fathom they never repeated. Not saying it's all Pops fault by any means. Without him, Spurs probably don't have Manu and Parker. And maybe Duncan doesn't stay. But some of his in game decisions in critical moments are confounding. But of course it's all hindsight. But there have been plenty of WTF decisions that were recognized at the time. When Phil and Riley had their prime players, they repeated. Pop never did."

This has absolutely zero to do with this:

"I'm saying that Pop makes some dumb in game decisions. And they seem to be getting more frequent with his age."
    I stand behind everything I said. Fire him.

Thread Information