Page 10 of 376 FirstFirst ... 678910111213142060110 ... LastLast
    My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    do not keep tony as a starter. i'd argue don't keep him on the roster at all.

only untouchable is kawhi, of course.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kawhi's prime is going to be a lot longer than the next 2-3 years. His game should age really well as his elite length and elite work ethic overlap his average athletic ability. His game doesn't rely on athletic ability. which is huge. His length, hard work and IQ will always be elite.. that should keep his prime window open for another 10 years.

I can't predict the future. All I'm saying is I'd start moving pieces around to get athletic, long, two way players, that are not liabilities defensively 1-5. Spurs have their PG of the future w/ Murray that checks those boxes. They have Green for another 2 years.

I wouldn't even mind it if Spurs did trade LA to PHX, Bledsoe to SAC, WCS, 12 million in space ( Afflalo) and the 8th pick to SA. Use that 8th pick on the best player available or if Spurs don't see the value in the 8th pick, trade the 8th for a 1st next year + a player like Wilson Chandler or a younger two way player w/ similar skill set and size.

Pray to god Gasol opts out and use the remaining space to go after Nerlens Noel.

Use the 29th pick on DJ Wilson or Jordan Bell.

Trade Kyle for the 35th pick and use that pick on Wesley Iwundu or Josh Hart.

There's so many small moves that can be made that can expedite the path this team needs to take in order to contend 2-3 years down the line and Kawhi's huge window allows for some patience in the next 1-2 years. There's no reason to be in panic mode and imply CP3 is the only answer for this franchise to keep Kawhi or is the only answer to ever contend again w/ Kawhi.

Your takes and your way of thinking I simply don't agree with.

I'd agree with most of what you said if Kawhi was locked in until he was 30. You think it's safe to say he's not going anywhere and he will extend or resign..

I just don't see how the Spurs can rebuild with a top 5 player entering their prime and expect that player to be cool with it..it's just a slippery slope IMO. Going after Paul allows the Spurs to compete yet help their young core (Murray, Bertans).

I will admit it can be difficult to predict or analyze a complete roster with Paul on it so I guess it's just easier to shrug it off. But we don't know what other dominos can fall..but Woj isn't the type to mention something to that extent for click bait...and this was said knowing the roster situation..and if you really think about it nothing has happened to change that..what's happened since has actually helped that scenario tbh.

And ask yourself this..Why would Woj say that?
    Last edited by coachmac87; 05-02-2017 at 12:06 PM.

Done with the NBA
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cut Pau and bring back Tiago. For the minimum why not?

Done with the NBA
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tiago has a 3pt shot now too.

Not in POs roster NameLess Scrub's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Face it. Kawhi is going to lose his prime years drowning in his super-teaming, bad-shot-making, random-scrub-career-night opponents.

And every time he's close to MVP, they'll use the system excuse and give it to some 68% usage rate, 28% 3pt guy who wears potato bags to games.

Doom

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's not how it works. Spurs can offer Kawhi the 5th year with 8% annual raises which equals out to over 50 million overall if he stays vs. goes. But you didn't know that.

You obviously can't read, because I said Afflalo would be waived before FA begins since his deal for next year is a team option -- Spurs would have his space this summer.

Stick to your podcast.

This forum deserves better.

I've never seen a least knowlegable poster talk like he knows everything as much as the podcast guy

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bringing CP3 would allow Parker to go to the bench where he belongs and Murray can be the combo guard off the bench who can play Simmons, Manu role..while learning from HOF players.

But hey good luck with your rebuilding plan...and going from a 2 seed to a 7th with Murray/Parker (Guards), WSG and
    Afflao getting significant minutes
    How on Earth could the Spurs keep Parker and sign Paul?

Any plan that keeps Parker's 15% of the cap on the books basically guarantees no Paul.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd trade Kyle for an early 2nd ( Orlando) and target Wesley Iwundu or Jordan Bell ( if Spurs don't use the 29th on Jordan).

I'd then move Bertans to the back up SF to fill in SF minutes behind Kawhi ( he has the skillset) and then let Hanga, Iwundu, Simmons (1 +1 deal) compete for minutes at the SG position.

Flipping Anderson for a new rookie to replenish the system would be a win as Kyle's production can easily be replicated or improved on by Bertans, Simmons, Hanga, Iwundu options in 17'-18'. Spurs then get a valuable piece to develop the next 3-4 years in Iwundu for dirt cheap.

If Anderson showed consistency and significant improvement year after year the past 3 years, I'd feel different about Kyle -- but the guy just has a very limited ceiling as we've seen with his plateau over the past 3 years.
    This is spot on. Plus, Bertans is going to (and needs to) take an increasing share of his already limited minutes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes or no, would you take Dwight and his 2 more years of 20mil dollar contact involving a sign and trade with Mils and Dedmon/Gasol?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Three way deal: If Suns get Fultz or Ball in draft.

LA to PHX
    Bledsoe to SAC
    WCS, Afflalo ( SA can waive him b4 FA), 8th pick to SA.

Or find a third team that needs a PG and has assets SA wld entertain.
    Not that there have been many instances of this, but in my time as a Spurs fan the "big" free agents acquisitions we've made have just not planned out: D. Anderson, Jefferson and LMA. Finley might be the exception but Dallas was essentially paying him. I just think by the time these players reached the Spurs they were already set in their ways.

All that to say, we need to go the draft route. This is an interesting proposal for #8. If PHX falls out of the top 3 you have to make that call to see if there's something that can be worked out.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count

Any plan that keeps Parker's 15% of the cap on the books basically guarantees no Paul.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Once again, go back to preseason. The Spurs' FO made decisions that put them in cap next year. Pau isn't turning down his guarantee for next year. The Spurs have almost $32M tied up between those two guys next year. And nobody is going to give them a break by taking those salaries. Not unless the Spurs mortgage their future to make it happen.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kawhi's prime is going to be a lot longer than the next 2-3 years. His game should age really well as his elite length and elite work ethic overlap his average athletic ability. His game doesn't rely on athletic ability. which is huge. His length, hard work and IQ will always be elite.. that should keep his prime window open for another 10 years.

I can't predict the future. All I'm saying is I'd start moving pieces around to get athletic, long, two way players, that are not liabilities defensively 1-5. Spurs have their PG of the future w/ Murray that checks those boxes. They have Green for another 2 years.

I wouldn't even mind it if Spurs did trade LA to PHX, Bledsoe to SAC, WCS, 12 million in space ( Afflalo) and the 8th pick to SA. Use that 8th pick on the best player available or if Spurs don't see the value in the 8th pick, trade the 8th for a 1st next year + a player like Wilson Chandler or a younger two way player w/ similar skill set and size.

Pray to god Gasol opts out and use the remaining space to go after Nerlens Noel.

Use the 29th pick on DJ Wilson or Jordan Bell.

Trade Kyle for the 35th pick and use that pick on Wesley Iwundu or Josh Hart.

There's so many small moves that can be made that can expedite the path this team needs to take in order to contend 2-3 years down the line and Kawhi's huge window allows for some patience in the next 1-2 years. There's no reason to be in panic mode and imply CP3 is the only answer for this franchise to keep Kawhi or is the only answer to ever contend again w/ Kawhi.

Your takes and your way of thinking I simply don't agree with.
    I don't think Kawhi's window is quite 10 years, but should be high enough for 5 years or so. Plenty of time if the Spurs do it right.

I don't know what the market will be for Aldridge, so I wouldn't mind them waiting it out until he opts out and just take the space. I'd hate to see them shoot for Bledsoe but settle for Knight and get saddled with his crap for 2 extra years.

If they can just be patient and take a year slow so they can free up massive space for summer 2018 with Aldridge and Green having opt outs and Parker's deal over, and of course Pau over if he opted in. And Anderson gone.

I doubt that Anderson can get much in return. Maybe a conditional second.

What I'd like to see is a development year. Bring over Hanga, Milutinov, , even Dangubic. Let Mills walk, and anyone else who opts out. The great thing about Hanga and Dangubic is that they are in the mold of good sized wings with enough athleticism to switch everything on the perimeter, which is key to the modern game. Bad news is they can't shoot 3s. But with enough luck, maybe they develop.

With the draft, I'd like to see the Spurs be aggressive and move up. Waiting their turn works sometimes like with Hill and hopefully Murray, but counting on other teams having doddering relics with enough sway to talk their team into passing on Parker for Joe Forte like Red Auerbach in Boston is just too passive these days.

I don't want to see another Utah jump the Spurs to take Gobert, or Houston a few picks before being able to snag Capela (whose advanced numbers were off the charts and showed extreme athleticism in his tape). Be active and go get the guy the want, not hope and pray. If they want Harry Giles for instance, don't wait around. If it takes a future protected first on top of the 2017, just do it if the player's rated that high on their board.

Kawhi has moved into that elite territory where in the regular season with a disciplined, well prepared system, they're going to be a playoff team. He has less to work with than Harden and the Spurs were able to rest their way to over 60 wins. Just adding a guard who can penetrate will open up a dynamism the offense hasn't had in years. Hopefully Murray is that guy.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think Kawhi's window is quite 10 years, but should be high enough for 5 years or so. Plenty of time if the Spurs do it right.

I don't know what the market will be for Aldridge, so I wouldn't mind them waiting it out until he opts out and just take the space. I'd hate to see them shoot for Bledsoe but settle for Knight and get saddled with his crap for 2 extra years.

If they can just be patient and take a year slow so they can free up massive space for summer 2018 with Aldridge and Green having opt outs and Parker's deal over, and of course Pau over if he opted in. And Anderson gone.

What I'd like to see is a development year. Bring over Hanga, Milutinov, , even Dangubic. Let Mills walk, and anyone else who opts out. The great thing about Hanga and Dangubic is that they are in the mold of good sized wings with enough athleticism to switch everything on the perimeter, which is key to the modern game. Bad news is they can't shoot 3s. But with enough luck, maybe they develop.

With the draft, I'd like to see the Spurs be aggressive and move up. Waiting their turn works sometimes like with Hill and hopefully Murray, but counting on other teams having doddering relics with enough sway to talk their team into passing on Parker for Joe Forte like Red Auerbach in Boston is just too passive these days.

I don't want to see another Utah jump the Spurs to take Gobert, or Houston a few picks before being able to snag Capela (whose advanced numbers were off the charts and showed extreme athleticism in his tape). Be active and go get the guy the want, not hope and pray. If they want Harry Giles for instance, don't wait around. If it takes a future protected first on top of the 2017, just do it if the player's rated that high on their board.

Kawhi has moved into that elite territory where in the regular season with a disciplined, well prepared system, they're going to be a playoff team. He has less to work with than Harden and the Spurs were able to rest their way to over 60 wins. Just adding a guard who can penetrate will open up a dynamism the offense hasn't had in years. Hopefully Murray is that guy.
    Regards to LA, I don't want them to get a Bledsoe either. Or a player of equal or less value. I want them to get space, a prospect that can defend and a pick. ( Hence the Three team trade proposal w/ Spurs getting WCS, Afflalo ( 12 mil in space), 8th pick).

The problem with the draft I'm having is I see a lot of balance from 15-40. There's no one from 10-25 that jumps out on me that would entice me to trade up. However there are guys like Jordan Bell and DJ Wilson who have strengths that matter in todays NBA ( mobile, versatile defenders that can defend in space in PnRs and the interior. They also have elite length. They also can finish well in PnRs). I actually think they have better defensive ceiling than a guy like Giles.

I also like the length and skillset of Wesely Iwundu. Draft Express has him getting picked in the late 40's -- he needs some development and fine tuning but the skill-set and ability is there. He can create in PnRs, has length, needs to get better shooting the ball, but he has that important two way skill set.

Orlando had it on their trade board that they were interested in trading for Kyle this summer lol. That's why I brought up Kyle + 59th for the 35th. In order to get a high 2nd. If that could be done, I'd be all over it and target Jordan Bell, DJ Wilson, Iwundu or Hart.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    However there are guys like Jordan Bell and DJ Wilson who have strengths that matter in todays NBA ( mobile, versatile defenders that can defend in space in PnRs and the interior. They also have elite length. They also can finish well in PnRs). I actually think they have better defensive ceiling than a guy like Giles.

I also like the length and skillset of Wesely Iwundu. Draft Express has him getting picked in the late 40's -- he needs some development and fine tuning but the skill-set and ability is there. He can create in PnRs, has length, needs to get better shooting the ball, but he has that important two way skill set.

Orlando had it on their trade board that they were interested in trading for Kyle this summer lol. That's why I brought up Kyle + 59th for the 35th. In order to get a high 2nd. If that could be done, I'd be all over it and target Jordan Bell, DJ Wilson, Iwundu or Hart.
    Wilson and Bell both look very interesting, I have to check those two out more.

Re: Anderson and Orlando . . . Maybe that's what wrecked Hennigan, having that name on the list. Too bad he's gone, otherwise I could see it happening.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's a few hours early to get involved in this thread. If the Spurs win game 2 vs the rockets then I look for a long series that can go either way. It's a good assumption Manu will retire. If Mills goes elsewhere for whatever reason I'm happy with keeping Murray and Forbes. Maybe try to add an Archie Goodwin who has experience in the league but is still young enough to advance his skills. He has skills but has been tied to systems. Be a cheap addition. If the Spurs fall in this round to the rockets I don't see Aldridge and the Spurs being cosher with each other. Unfortunately, I don't see a solution for turning LA into the next Timmy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

That may be PATFO's plan. However, I think it could be seriously flawed. I believe the odds are pretty high that a scrubby Danny and a washed-up Softridge would opt IN in the summer of 2018, so that your "massive" cap relief would be pushed to 2019 and be somewhat reduced by the (presumed) departure of Tony the year before, and therefore PATFO's consuming that $15MM in cap relief in 2018. In that scenario fans would need to be patient for 2 years instead of 1. Spurs would probably continue to be a solid RS team and first round playoff fodder.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's no way Aldridge doesn't opt out, even if he wants to stay with the Spurs. There's too much money around. Biyombo and Mahinmi had very few starts in their careers, and were sliding out of their primes and still got 16-18 to be bench centers in a league. Noah was totally washed up and missing huge number of games for 2 straight years with a massive stat collapse and still got 18 a year for 4 years.

A recent all star who can blame his struggles on a system built around Kawhi, he's getting PAID. it might not be more than 25 a year, but he's getting multiple years.

Green is not very different. He can get a 4 year deal somewhere at 10 a year because that's the new rate for rotation players.

It's in their best interests to opt out to get the last big guaranteed amounts of their career. It's not like either one will be in a Pau scenario in their late 30s and on the verge of retirement.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Get ready fellas, here's your backup SF next year

https://sports.yahoo.com/m/549089b6-...ack-if-he.html

Butler would come back if he could play for Warriors, Cavs, or Spurs

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cap space in 2018 was the plan all along. I just hope the Spurs don't panic if they lose this series.

Done with the NBA
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just hoping LMA can get us a decent pg in return. Parker could be out next season as well. Not a big fan of overpaying Mills either. Tough position for the Spurs FO.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tony being out next season isn't a huge deal because it opens things up for Murray. Also, if Patty steps up in Tony's absence and the team makes it to the WCF and is decently compe ive I think the starting job is his.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If tp retires would spurs get cap space

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Get ready fellas, here's your backup SF next year

https://sports.yahoo.com/m/549089b6-...ack-if-he.html

Butler would come back if he could play for Warriors, Cavs, or Spurs
    I would rather bring back Rasual

Thread Information