My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sign JJ Red tbh

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    - Those who want to chase Green out of town, I'm so glad you have zero decision making power. You literally have no clue how basketball works.

- Aldridge probably won't be moved, but will have value on the market contrary to what some of you say. His defense is actually very good for a big (huge improvement from where he was a few years ago), still can get buckets as a second offensive option, and is under a reasonable contract now that we've had a year of huge contract inflation.

- Manu had a very good season but is in the worst stretch I've seen a player go through in some time. Part of it has to be attributed to matchup (similarly don't expect Parker to do anything against Beverley like he is this series) so the tune will change if the Spurs advance to Houston. If he's back at the minimum, I'll happily take him.

- Didn't think it would happen a few months ago, but Dedmon could opt in knowing he needs to develop his game to cash in in FA. Teams may be wary of picking up guys who only spent a year in the Spurs system only to find they're far from a finished product. If he opts in, it's a team friendly deal that may allow him to reap a lot more in FA in 2018. Any chance Milunitov comes over?

- Natural improvement from Murray, Bertans and (gulp) Anderson will dictate what parts of the bench need to be focused on.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd move LMA first, has always been a loser and will continue to be a loser.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am one to be super critical of Pop and his dumb lineups and persistence on playing old guys like Manu without giving the young guys like Bertans more minutes.

With that said, he has got to be super frustrated with LMA. Dude is as soft as tissue and has 0 heart. He's being paid like a first option, but producing like a role player. He's supposed to be carrying the other side of the heavy load with Kawhi. Instead Kawhi is dragging the load with LMA sitting on it.

I know the spacing, play calling issues etc, but at some point you've just got to say it, I'm getting this done, like Kawhi. But he just doesn't have it in him. He's mentally weak.
    Last edited by UZER; 04-23-2017 at 11:56 AM.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    do not keep tony as a starter. i'd argue don't keep him on the roster at all.

only untouchable is kawhi, of course.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LA will have little value this summer. Spurs are better off keeping him, and letting him walk when he opts out. For the first time as a Spur, he may finally get off his ass and put in work this summer since it will essentially be his contract year. But what team would give up nice assets for a 1 yr rental w/out clarity on his intentions to re-sign or opt in? Even if LA commits to a team and tells them he'll re-sign, that ONE team will have leverage to drive down the price since that's the only place LA is willing to go.

I think the market for a vet PF like Lee is very small to non existent ( he'll probably opt in).

Spurs really need to find a way to get another quality 3 and D player. Much better than Anderson/Simmons, they need this player to be the 3rd wing behind Kawhi/Green. Through trade, through the draft, through FA, it has to happen.

Dedmon has a huge question mark, not sure where his market sits with his disappointing end of the season. Unless SVG falls in love w/ him like he has all of the centers Spurs have to let go.
    I don't think Aldridge will have the value many would probably like to think, either, but who knows?

If the Suns stay in the top 2, Bledsoe will be expendable. If medical staff are confident in Favors making a full recovery, I'd try them and the Jazz on a 3 teamer, with something like Favors/Hood to Spurs, Bledsoe/Bender to Jazz, Aldridge to Suns. Jazz lessen cap issues and get younger, slightly better and far cheaper Hill replacement.

If the Timberwolves stay at 6, I'd try them on something like Dieng and 6 for Aldridge and 29. They supposedly want win now veteran leaders. Aldridge may not be the latter and probably wouldn't be happy playing in Minnesota or playing 3rd or 4th fiddle on offense, but Thibodeau is old school and loves size, so they might take a flier anyway and hope to convince him to stay long term or failing that, re-route him at the deadline, a la Ibaka.

- Why would Lee opt in? Even if he can't do better, there's no risk in opting out. He's guaranteed another job somewhere, so he'll either get the minimum again or more.

- Can't have too many 3 and D wings, but another wing who can create is of greater importance. Parker will be another year older and there's no assurance that Murray will be ready for a semi-prominent role.

- Hard to pinpoint range with Dedmon, but MLE might get it done. Celtics and Nets are only teams that spring to mind with both the need and cap space for this type of center, though the former has bigger fish to fry.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    phil jackson would still take la this summer. they'll be looking for a PG too.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think Aldridge will have the value many would probably like to think, either, but who knows?

If the Suns stay in the top 2, Bledsoe will be expendable. If medical staff are confident in Favors making a full recovery, I'd try them and the Jazz on a 3 teamer, with something like Favors/Hood to Spurs, Bledsoe/Bender to Jazz, Aldridge to Suns. Jazz lessen cap issues and get younger, slightly better and far cheaper Hill replacement.

If the Timberwolves stay at 6, I'd try them on something like Dieng and 6 for Aldridge and 29. They supposedly want win now veteran leaders. Aldridge may not be the latter and probably wouldn't be happy playing in Minnesota or playing 3rd or 4th fiddle on offense, but Thibodeau is old school and loves size, so they might take a flier anyway and hope to convince him to stay long term or failing that, re-route him at the deadline, a la Ibaka.

- Why would Lee opt in? Even if he can't do better, there's no risk in opting out. He's guaranteed another job somewhere, so he'll either get the minimum again or more.

- Can't have too many 3 and D wings, but another wing who can create is of greater importance. Parker will be another year older and there's no assurance that Murray will be ready for a semi-prominent role.

- Hard to pinpoint range with Dedmon, but MLE might get it done. Celtics and Nets are only teams that spring to mind with both the need and cap space for this type of center, though the former has bigger fish to fry.
    I hope you're right about LA having decent trade value. I just don't see it because of him having 1 yr left essentially.

Since last summer, I've been saying LAs' offense was overrated because he is not a shot creator and that Spurs should have traded him this past season. But maybe they tried? And couldn't find an offer they liked -- we do not know. I do not see a future for LA in SA. He's not a good long term fit and him coming into the off-season two years in a row out of shape speaks volumes. That laziness in the off-season is the reason why he's regressed from an All-Star to an inconsistent, but solid role player in a matter of 14-20 months. His play is not anyone's fault but his. He was the one who decided to use to season to try to get back in shape two years in a row now. Not working on your game in the offseason, when you're a "leader" for a team with championship aspirations is inexcusable and not the Spurs way. Even Pop had a quote in late December after a good stretch of games he had.. " He's getting into shape and feeling better". As I said before, I have a pretty good source mentioning how he regretting not going to PHX before last seasons trade deadline and last summer. I hope Spurs can find a way to get back decent value, even if its 50 cents on the dollar, I'd take it if its assets that can help Kawhi, Murray and co moving forward.

Lee will have nothing to lose to opt out, you're right. I just don't think any team will offer more than the minimum.. that will be his market from now til he retires and he seems to really enjoy being in San Antonio. I can see him being back for the vet min again.

Spurs need another quality two way wing -- better than Anderson/Simmons. One that has more versatility than Green on offense is ideal. But the player has to have size and has to be able to defend. I'd kick tires with Brett Brown and the Sixers.. I'd really like Covington on the Spurs. Not sure what it would take as the assets I'd be willing to part with the Sixers probably wouldn't find enticing.

I agree, it is hard to pinpoint Dedmons market right now.

As for Murray, there's no assurance for sure, but he's the best and most realistic option as the play-maker off the bench and he is a play-maker. How good is he? It's hard to tell because of the very small opportunity Pop gave him this year. But with what we DO know, and with what we HAVE to go off of, Murray performed damn well in relevant opportunities and the kid has a very strong work ethic. Pop glows about him in every chance he gets to talk about it. -- t he same way he talked about Kawhi.

The eight games he started, when he played 22mpg with the starters and against opposing starters accounted for over half of his total minutes on the SEASON. His Per 36 numbers this year are very comparable to Parkers' rookie year. The kid performed and did well in those opportunities. The only reason why Pop didn't continue going with him was because seniority with TP coming back from injury. No matter how good Murray was -- he wasn't going to play over Parker or Mills. There's no other quality play-makers that Spurs can realistically attain via Free Agency. It will be Murray's job.
    Last edited by MaNu4Tres; 04-23-2017 at 05:10 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am one to be super critical of Pop and his dumb lineups and persistence on playing old guys like Manu without giving the young guys like Bertans more minutes.

With that said, he has got to be super frustrated with LMA. Dude is as soft as tissue and has 0 heart. He's being paid like a first option, but producing like a role player. He's supposed to be carrying the other side of the heavy load with Kawhi. Instead Kawhi is dragging the load with LMA sitting on it.

I know the spacing, play calling issues etc, but at some point you've just got to say it, I'm getting this done, like Kawhi. But he just doesn't have it in him. He's mentally weak.
    I agree with this statement about Lamarcus. He is not holding up his end of the bargain. He's playing like a good role player and that's not enough. the Spurs needed a second star next to Kawhi, specially during the minutes Kawhi sits briefly. I don't think Spurs will be championship contenders while they rely this heavily on Lamarcus but I think it's not that he's untradeable, but the haul for him might not be worth it... still we saw some trades this past season that maybe give hope. How about the Nurkic trade for example?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I could see Lee opting out if only to get another 1+1 deal, guaranteeing himself more money in case of catastrophic career ending injury next year.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hope you're right about LA having decent trade value. I just don't see it because of him having 1 yr left essentially.

Since last summer, I've been saying LAs' offense was overrated because he is not a shot creator and that Spurs should have traded him this past season. But maybe they tried? And couldn't find an offer they liked -- we do not know. I do not see a future for LA in SA. He's not a good long term fit and him coming into the off-season two years in a row out of shape speaks volumes. That laziness in the off-season is the reason why he's regressed from an All-Star to an inconsistent, but solid role player in a matter of 14-20 months. His play is not anyone's fault but his. He was the one who decided to use to season to try to get back in shape two years in a row now. Not working on your game in the offseason, when you're a "leader" for a team with championship aspirations is inexcusable and not the Spurs way. Even Pop had a quote in late December after a good stretch of games he had.. " He's getting into shape and feeling better". As I said before, I have a pretty good source mentioning how he regretting not going to PHX before last seasons trade deadline and last summer. I hope Spurs can find a way to get back decent value, even if its 50 cents on the dollar, I'd take it if its assets that can help Kawhi, Murray and co moving forward.

Lee will have nothing to lose to opt out, you're right. I just don't think any team will offer more than the minimum.. that will be his market from now til he retires and he seems to really enjoy being in San Antonio. I can see him being back for the vet min again.

Spurs need another quality two way wing -- better than Anderson/Simmons. One that has more versatility than Green on offense is ideal. But the player has to have size and has to be able to defend. I'd kick tires with Brett Brown and the Sixers.. I'd really like Covington on the Spurs. Not sure what it would take as the assets I'd be willing to part with the Sixers probably wouldn't find enticing.

I agree, it is hard to pinpoint Dedmons market right now.

As for Murray, there's no assurance for sure, but he's the best and most realistic option as the play-maker off the bench and he is a play-maker. How good is he? It's hard to tell because of the very small opportunity Pop gave him this year. But with what we DO know, and with what we HAVE to go off of, Murray performed damn well in relevant opportunities and the kid has a very strong work ethic. Pop glows about him in every chance he gets to talk about it. -- t he same way he talked about Kawhi.

The eight games he started, when he played 22mpg with the starters and against opposing starters accounted for over half of his total minutes on the SEASON. His Per 36 numbers this year are very comparable to Parkers' rookie year. The kid performed and did well in those opportunities. The only reason why Pop didn't continue going with him was because seniority with TP coming back from injury. No matter how good Murray was -- he wasn't going to play over Parker or Mills. There's no other quality play-makers that Spurs can realistically attain via Free Agency. It will be Murray's job.
    I don't know that Aldridge would be able to fetch either of those packages, I just think they're realistic enough to try and would make sense (again, with the caveats that the Suns stay in the top 2 and the Spurs medical staff is confident in Favors making a full recovery).

Regarding the Timberwolves' one, they could go one of two ways. If they're really high on Murray, they could go with whichever of Monk, Markkanen or Isaac is available. If not, they could pick whichever of Fox, Smith or Ntilikina is available at 6 and shop Murray for a late 1st. Hawks, Thunder, Nets, pick 20-22 and all have a need at backup point guard. Granted, they all passed on him a year ago, but things can change fast.

- I don't think Covington is attainable for what the Spurs can offer and there's no reason for them to want to give him up

- I suspect that Murray will have a clearer path to a rotation spot, but will still have to beat out a rotation caliber player

Done with the NBA
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Priority number 1 is getting rid of LMA. We can't give him another contract so the best offer needs to be taken.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    PG - tony will be in his contract year. he definitely has trade value as an expiring contract, but i doubt the spurs would look to do that. i think you let mills go. forbes will be the new mills. murray needs to be given every chance to earn a role, and hopefully a starting role

SG - green is a keeper. his main problem with his shooting the last couple of years has been tony. he's solely a catch-and-shoot player, and can't do anything off the dribble ( dabom you can PM me if you don't know what off the dribble means). normally that would be fine, but when parker suddenly is unable to penetrate, it then leaves green in a bad spot where he camps out and his defender never has to leave him as the D is never collapsing. i think Danny's shooting will recover if we have a penetrating point guard again... hopefully that can be murray.

as for the bench... manu probably retires, and not quite sure simmons showed anything this year outside of the season opener that makes me feel confident he can be a 20 minute guy. hanga can be a good answer. he can handle the ball, finish with athleticism, pass decently, and play good defense. a more proven version of what we hope simmons can be.

SF - not much to say about kawhi. but what about reserve SF? anderson isn't trustworthy and there isn't much depth past that unless pop plays bertans at the 3.

PF - i think you keep LMA and hope for a bounce back. i'm not really worried about age as his defense has been fine, and his offense is predicated on the jumpshot, which isn't really something he'd lose with age. his trade value wont be worth looking in that direction. lee was surprisingly good for most of the year, but his defensive deficiencies mean you cant trust him for big or crucial minutes. still, he's a good minutes eater that can help keep others fresh. but i really think bertans needs to have the more regular role going forward. his defense ins't consistent but he'll get that with experience. offensively he does a lot for a team that likes having kawhi operate in the midrange

C - dedmon had flashes, but overall was good not great. depends on what kind of contract he's expecting to land. he's good but not worth breaking the bank for. gasol will be back, but he's shown to be a great fit in the 2nd unit. starting C is a big concern

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i was all in favor of LMA for a long time but i agree, it's time for him to go. i'd rather have someone with less talent and twice the fire.
    pop needs to go.
    kawhi, murray, bertans, green, parker, pau, dedmon depending on price
    work from there

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's pretty obvious the Spurs need CP3 and CP3 needs the Spurs....

It's gonna happen

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    It's pretty obvious the Spurs need CP3 and CP3 needs the Spurs....

It's gonna happen

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    - Covington in an unrealistic target, specially with what San Antonio can offer. I'm sure the spurs will do their due a d right his name on a whiteboard or something. Maybe even call brett brown..but The Sixers can fetch more for a decent a 3 and D player like Covington

- It's going to be extremely difficult to convince the Suns to give up Bledsoe so they can get Aldridge. What direction are they trying to take? There's better three-team deals out there that can give them a valuable expeiring. Plus, their terrible. The only way I can see the suns trading for Aldridge is if they're delusional enough to think they have a shot at the 8th seed. What I am confident with is, they're going to try to desperatlt trade Bledsoe and Knight..so who knows.

- The Wovles deal presented is realistic, but the spurs are going to be worse next season. I very much doubt the PATFO would make a move that makes their team even worse.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    -The Idea of Trading Rubio has floated around in Minnesota for a few months now. I think, there's potential negotiation for a Bledsoe-Rubio-Aldridge deal that gives the Suns the Wolves 2nd round pick. Or best, if The wolves somehow end up with a top 3 pick that they can swap with the Suns to get Aldridge in a three way trade.

- I think its comical to get rid of Rubio and hand the PG reigns to lavine, but Rubio has been in trade rumors for a while now and he's been super up and down.

- The Suns are looking for a more Pass PG first. Maybe they're convinced wit Booker. If so, Blessoe would have to go.

- The Suns get more picks or a better pick and they get a PG that can get Booker some buckets. The Spurs get a penetrating Guard in Bledsoe and keep their picks and the Wolves get that Veteran Player they really really need for a playoff push.

- Aldridge Rim Protection numbers is enticing and the Wolves badly need a rim protector.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Pop can ever get over himself and be willing to trade Parker, maybe it could happen.

Maybe Parker and a first would be enough to get Lin who is likely to opt out next summer. Maybe not enough , but I can dream. Lin could come off the bench in the Ginobili role, and Parker could be in New York having fun sticking his face in the way of the trajectory of glassware in nightclubs.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree with this statement about Lamarcus. He is not holding up his end of the bargain. He's playing like a good role player and that's not enough. the Spurs needed a second star next to Kawhi, specially during the minutes Kawhi sits briefly. I don't think Spurs will be championship contenders while they rely this heavily on Lamarcus but I think it's not that he's untradeable, but the haul for him might not be worth it... still we saw some trades this past season that maybe give hope. How about the Nurkic trade for example?
    I was demanding that they make a trade for Ibaka prior to the deadline. At least Ibaka can defend. Can't say the same for Aldridge.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    - It's going to be extremely difficult to convince the Suns to give up Bledsoe so they can get Aldridge. What direction are they trying to take? There's better three-team deals out there that can give them a valuable expeiring. Plus, their terrible. The only way I can see the suns trading for Aldridge is if they're delusional enough to think they have a shot at the 8th seed. What I am confident with is, they're going to try to desperatlt trade Bledsoe and Knight..so who knows.
    I think it is possible only because bad GMs who know their jobs are on the line make dumb "win-now" moves to try and save their jobs, like when Hennigan traded for Ibaka and blew money on Biyombo and Green. McDunnough is in the same same boat now, and Sarver is missing that playoff money.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was demanding that they make a trade for Ibaka prior to the deadline. At least Ibaka can defend. Can't say the same for Aldridge.
    Ibaka is a good help defender and that creates all the highlights, but Aldridge is as good an overall defender and better man defender. Neither is an elite rebounder but Aldridge is better there.

That said, the two would make an interesting fit and spread the floor nicely. Dedmon doesn't have any green light to shoot even though he's not horrible (see his FT% and past season's midrange shooting) so teams sag.

Ibaka is also going to get paid a stupid amount this offseason, just wait.

If Pop can ever get over himself and be willing to trade Parker, maybe it could happen.

Maybe Parker and a first would be enough to get Lin who is likely to opt out next summer. Maybe not enough , but I can dream. Lin could come off the bench in the Ginobili role, and Parker could be in New York having fun sticking his face in the way of the trajectory of glassware in nightclubs.

I like Lin, but this team is not trading a first rounder plus a career Spur in Parker for a guy who saves them only $2 million, has been hurt all year and has another year on his deal after this one to come off the bench. They need to reload with cheap draft help.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Parker is not getting traded. Stop it.

Unless he informs the spurs he's retiring, and wants to help them work a deal on the way out, he's not going anywhere.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If there was ever a time to trade LMA it's during the window between this draft and first weeks of next season. As fickle as LA was during his last free agency, who would want to take the gamble at the trade deadline without having the benefit of selling him on your team for a full season?

I really think they at least have to explore the idea with PHX given the courtship history, and the fact PHX already has a glut of youngsters (especially PGs).

If PHX says the deal is: LMA for #2 but you have to take Knight's ty deal back (and filler like Dudley/Len), I think you do that if you're the Spurs.
    Last edited by CGD; 04-23-2017 at 08:33 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The biggest problem of the Spurs is that they heavily invested in the low post game with Aldridge and Pau.

Unfortunately, as shown by Memphis, that kind of a game is totally inept give how soft these two players have become.

The Spurs should have invested like the Rockets, a more dynamic shoot the lights out approach.

Leonard cannot operate with the lanes that are clogged with big men. Leonard uses his length a lot to beat his man, but you can't beat players that are much longer (i.e. Marc Gasol).

Thread Information