Page 4 of 376 FirstFirst 123456781454104 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But what if the Warriors don't win it all this year? People need to stop assuming things tbh..season is far from over.

Spurs offseason boils down to 3 players. 1. LMA 2.Gasol 3. Manu

Regardless what happens this year the Spurs need a plan in place for these players..

LMA- Are they going to move on from him or nah? He's gotta be the first domino to fall in what direction they go. I had sources saying the trade rumors earlier this year were true. I don't think it's gone away tbh and I think he could get moved..

Gasol- Will he opt in or nah? I'm sure his role going forward determines a lot tbh. I think he's opting out regardless if he comes back or not. Spurs will offer him lead bench big man role and a chance to retire a Spur...make him resign a 3 yr deal for 27-30M range..but Spurs must stick with him on bench and Pau has to take it or leave it

Manu- I'm 75% sure he's retiring. But no matter what he does he needs to get replaced. Is Simmons that guy?? I'm uncomfortable with that idea unless Simmons takes discount

Now with all this said...Spurs need to go after and kick the tires on CP3. I don't care what BS reports are out CP3 will not resign with Clippers. Expect the unexpected and if he wants to contend for a le his time is NOW.

I also think it's literally impossible to dictate how this offseason will go..so many moving parts Melo, Griffin, CP3, and what do the Warriors do?
    Good points.
    I am not a fan of the way Lamarcus if flaming out in the playoffs. I get that he's been solid on defense, but he's not playing like a star. I would only move him if the players coming back make sense. Despite him underachieving, if they don't get back someone who will make sense and improve the team.. I don't think spurs trade him... as I said, I doubt they take a gamble and make a move that will not clearly improve the team... unless Memphis backdoor sweeps them while Lamarcus is helpless to help Kawhi out there, I guess.
    Pau... he's been disappointing when you consider he is being paid 15 mill and has been sent to the bench and is getting further benched/minutes cut in playoff games bc he doesn't play defense.
    Manu needs to retire.. god bless him but I wouldn't take him back even for the vet minimum. He's clearly done and unplayable in the playoffs and will be worse at 40, meantime he serves as Pop's security blanket during the regular season, taking playing time younger players need to develop and grow. I think JSimms is gone. He should not take a discounted or less than market deal to stay a Spur. As I detailed in a post I made in the first page, it's true he got all the opportunities to develop this season, and yet turned out a very inconsistent performance all season and if he stays he's going to get further compe ion with other prospects... so it doesn't make sense for him to stay. We shall see, it's possible he doesn't get much interest elsewhere, but I doubt it. Some team will give him a good deal and he should bolt for his own good... he should leave if he gets a better than 1 and 1 deal or discounted deal from the Spurs.

what do you think of Mills? I think they move on from him too.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good points.
    I am not a fan of the way Lamarcus if flaming out in the playoffs. I get that he's been solid on defense, but he's not playing like a star. I would only move him if the players coming back make sense. Despite him underachieving, if they don't get back someone who will make sense and improve the team.. I don't think spurs trade him... as I said, I doubt they take a gamble and make a move that will not clearly improve the team... unless Memphis backdoor sweeps them while Lamarcus is helpless to help Kawhi out there, I guess.
    Pau... he's been disappointing when you consider he is being paid 15 mill and has been sent to the bench and is getting further benched/minutes cut in playoff games bc he doesn't play defense.
    Manu needs to retire.. god bless him but I wouldn't take him back even for the vet minimum. He's clearly done and unplayable in the playoffs and will be worse at 40, meantime he serves as Pop's security blanket during the regular season, taking playing time younger players need to develop and grow. I think JSimms is gone. He should not take a discounted or less than market deal to stay a Spur. As I detailed in a post I made in the first page, it's true he got all the opportunities to develop this season, and yet turned out a very inconsistent performance all season and if he stays he's going to get further compe ion with other prospects... so it doesn't make sense for him to stay. We shall see, it's possible he doesn't get much interest elsewhere, but I doubt it. Some team will give him a good deal and he should bolt for his own good... he should leave if he gets a better than 1 and 1 deal or discounted deal from the Spurs.

what do you think of Mills? I think they move on from him too.

Mills is gone...

Again the offseason evolves around the 3 players I listed in that order. Also the CP3 to SA possibility is also a factor in what they do with Pau/LMA. The Spurs have to approach CP3 just like they did KD..you have to kick the tires and adjust accordingly. I think if you're an expiring on the Spurs and not willing to sign for a discount they're gone. Quick roster breakdown

Parker- Back up PG to CP3 and on the Manu restrictions (Off days, minutes etc)

Murray- Combo guard off bench, plays the 1/2 depending on Parker, plays combination of Simmons, Mills, Manu role and truly learns behind CP3

Mills- Gone

Forbes- Keep and develop into a Patty 14' role once Parker leaves following year etc

Green- Look to keep but willing to move if necessary

Kawhi-Keep

Anderson- Keep. Spurs will need all the cheap decent bodies they can get..

Bertans- Keep.

LMA-Like to Keep, but I'd move him if it allows me to get Paul

Pau- Must opt out and sign cheaper/longer deal. Lead big off bench

Dedmon- Gone or sign 1/2 year discount deal. Starting C who can hopefully increase value with CP3.

Lee- Keep on minimum deal. If not gone

Simmons- Gone or sign 1/2 similar deal like Dedmon

Spurs gotta 2 yr window to maximize with Pop being around and Kawhi contract..that's why I'm so adamant on going after CP3. Both are in similar windows etc. people wanting to go young and pretty much rebuild are missing the fact that Kawhi will be gone once his deal is up....

Go all in
    Last edited by coachmac87; 04-24-2017 at 01:21 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    hmmm someone is acting like an idiot

idiot brings a notion of lack of intelligence, idiot village or village idiot kind of mistake is lack of attention which is quite ok when English is your third language anyway

if you want to call out someone do it properly got
    Still not used properly. You should be proper if you are about to insult someone else intelligence. But keep calling others idiots when you can even get a phrase right.

And your phobic ass is sensative. I think we all know why too..........

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good points.
    Improve the team in what time frame? What kind of time frame do you think Spurs must improve on in order to trade Aldridge?

Spurs are going to struggle in the 1st two rounds next year anyway and have no chance as is, even with internal improvement. Aldridge will likely opt out and sign elsewhere and Spurs won't have any assets besides cap space to show for.

Hypothetical of three way trade featuring Aldridge to PHX, Bledsoe to SAC for WCS, Afflalo dump, and the 8th pick would improve the team in the long run. How much and how soon? We don't know. It depends on who they pick and how much they can get out of the Afflalo 12 million in cap space this summer, WCS and the 8th pick. Would it improve the Spurs chances next year? Probably not, but they'd go from 61 games to maybe 53. Spurs would still be good enough to win 50 games and be in the same situation they are in now -- struggling vs. a 7th seed that's missing two starters. And Spurs would be a lot better situation by summer of 2018 by making this type of deal compared to having no 8th pick in the pipeline, no WCS and just having the cap space -- which they could have 75% of the anticipated cap space a summer early by making this type deal. Sometimes you have to take 1 step back and make a gamble or sacrifice for one year in order to take two steps forward down the line. You sound like fans who didn't understand why they made the Hill for the 15th pick trade.

No offense but you're thinking very short term.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    coachmac87 That plan looks good to me. I'd hope they can make something work as you said.
    Last edited by SAGirl; 04-24-2017 at 02:02 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Now that Tim is gone idc about who they get rid of. Only keeper is obviously Kawhi. I'd hang onto Murray. Everyone else can gtfo tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People are making a lot of assumptions. Sure, SA is playing poorly currently but what if they make it to a WCF? Doesn't that change what people are saying? Or does it shift from "2nd round ceiling" to "no REAl shot at a le" argument?

We have to see how things play out is all I'm saying.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Improve the team in what time frame? What kind of time frame do you think Spurs must improve on in order to trade Aldridge?

Spurs are going to struggle in the 1st two rounds next year anyway and have no chance as is, even with internal improvement. Aldridge will likely opt out and sign elsewhere and Spurs won't have any assets besides cap space to show for.

Hypothetical of three way trade featuring Aldridge to PHX, Bledsoe to SAC for WCS, Afflalo dump, and the 8th pick would improve the team in the long run. How much and how soon? We don't know. It depends on who they pick and how much they can get out of the Afflalo 12 million in cap space this summer, WCS and the 8th pick. Would it improve the Spurs chances next year? Probably not, but they'd go from 61 games to maybe 53. Spurs would still be good enough to win 50 games and be in the same situation they are in now -- struggling vs. a 7th seed that's missing two starters. And Spurs would be a lot better situation by summer of 2018 by making this type of deal compared to having no 8th pick in the pipeline, no WCS and just having the cap space -- which they could have 75% of the anticipated cap space a summer early by making this type deal. Sometimes you have to take 1 step back and make a gamble or sacrifice for one year in order to take two steps forward down the line. You sound like fans who didn't understand why they made the Hill for the 15th pick trade.

No offense but you're thinking very short term.
    I am keeping it realistic. In reality, it's not even about what I have in mind, or what I'd like to see. For me, I didn't even like the Pau signing. I haven't liked him most of the season, I was constantly criticizing his statue like lack of defense early in the season and he was largely to blame for the slow defensive starts, some unexplicable losses at home early in the season, etc. He was benched, let's make no mistake about that bc he was so bad on defense as to be unplayable sometimes. He came in late in the season off the bench and saved some games bc he was so hot from 3 and can be hidden somewhat on defense in the bench, but he's not built for current playoff basketball the way he's playing. I had always preferred the Spurs made a move for an elite guard.

I would have preferred Pop to play Murray, and Bertans more through the season. It's one of the reasons I never warmed up to Lee truth be told. He was ok in the regular season, but Bertans offered so much more and it is showing now. One of the reasons I am not hot on Lee is that he's blocking out Bertans from playing time. I can't warm up to him that way. I wanted to see Anderson.. I know you are not a fan.. and many aren't... but he was solid to end the season and really was deep benched most of the season and only got minutes the last 6 weeks more or less and now it seems like Pop probably needs some production from him and yet he wasn't played until the end of the season. I like the way the younger players play together. I like Bertans and Anderson together, with Murray actually... I suppose I am stating what I'd like to see... which was probably more development this season than we got to see with a pretend contender playing a lot of old dudes in the regular season while the younger players didn't get run sufficiently for Pop to be comfortable and confident about their play. I would have preferred a 50 win team that gave playing time to younger players (and maybe their growth/inconsistencies or mistakes cost you a few... but they learn)... anyways, that is not what Pop did and I doubt they will do it next season too...

So, I guess I am keeping my expectations for any changes down. I think the rumors about Lamarcus were true... but they likely didn't get any offers they liked. I doubt they trade him for someone who is not better... or some way that they see as a clear improvement. From my understanding in your scenario the Spurs end up with the 8th pick in the draft which would really be a nice prize if they have someone scouted like they did Kiwi. If there is someone they like in the draft like they liked Kawhi back in the day I will be excited. I actually thought, (you can look that up, and Chinook and the Danny Green church pls forgive me if they must) Danny could be traded this past summer for a lottery pick. Yea I was in that illusionist group. It didn't happen. So I guess I am just telling you what I think is likely not what I want to see.
    Last edited by SAGirl; 04-24-2017 at 01:54 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People are making a lot of assumptions. Sure, SA is playing poorly currently but what if they make it to a WCF? Doesn't that change what people are saying? Or does it shift from "2nd round ceiling" to "no REAl shot at a le" argument?

Ahhh.. I love me some DPG wisdom to bring me back down.

In all seriousness, this team is struggling vs. a 7th seed that has BOTH of their starting wings out. I'm no Miss Cleo, but I don't see any reason for optimism right now. This team has been the most inconsistent 60 win team I've ever seen. It's been that way all season long and their inconsistency as individual players (outside of Kawhi)and as a group are disappointing.

I don't see them getting past Houston. I'm actually putting money on that too if the matchup happens.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ahhh.. I love me some DPG wisdom to bring me back down.

In all seriousness, this team is struggling vs. a 7th seed that has BOTH of their starting wings out. I'm no Miss Cleo, but I don't see any reason for optimism right now. This team has been the most inconsistent 60 win team I've ever seen. It's been that way all season long and their inconsistency as individual players (outside of Kawhi)and as a group are disappointing.

I don't see them getting past Houston. I'm actually putting money on that too if the matchup happens.
    I am all good discussing plans and what is likely, but when it comes to team building it's really tough. Spurs can go from cold to hot in a game or two (see games 1 & 2 where there were no struggles at all).

The struggles aren't due to anything but lack of shooting and some poor coaching decisions. The latter being easily masked if the team was just hitting at a normal rate.

I definitely think SA can get past HOU and that is what I would bet on tbh..not that it changes the overall discussion but it kind of does.

I look at it this way. Yes, SA has holes, but they are better than pretty much every other team with those holes. Let's say Murray really blossoms, that probably solves many of the problems we are discussing today so keeping this team together for one more year while adding some younger pieces next year could be a big boost.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Still not used properly. You should be proper if you are about to insult someone else intelligence. But keep calling others idiots when you can even get a phrase right.

And your phobic ass is sensative. I think we all know why too..........
    you don't make any sense but it was expected

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    you don't make any sense but it was expected
    I love when phobics get all butt hurt. Hmmmm......

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I love when phobics get all butt hurt. Hmmmm......
    It seems you are getting excited and all wet suddenly...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Always believed that if you have a shot at the WCF, you always have a shot.

Gotta roll the dice. So many things happen in the playoffs.

One Historic Spurs game in Golden State in the first two games might be enough. Who knows. Maybe Durant is bad for GSW. Maybe Mike Brown has a megative affect.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Are they adverse to significant change, though? Keeping it mostly status quo was easy when they had an all time core, that was loyal and had proven they could win championships.

They'd probably be content with mostly status quo if they felt this team was close, but if they get ran off the floor by the Rockets in 6 or worse, find a way to lose this series, they wouldn't be doing their jobs if they didn't re-evaluate. There's been too many series this decade where they blew a series lead and in most cases went on to lose to a team presumed to be inferior, to pretend it's not a disturbing trend and resort to myriad excuses/reasons.

Also, sometime soon, they won't be able to prevent significant decline because there's so little young talent in the pipeline. Relative health and rare late game luck prevented it from being reflected more in their record, but it's actually already began. Obviously, they're not going to bottom out and Leonard is probably too good to let them even if they did try, but that's why trading Aldridge makes sense because he's the one piece that might be able to fetch them something significant.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Something that needs to change, regardless of personnel moves, is the offensive system (or lack thereof). No more of this 90s style ISO offense; bring back more ball movement and driving and kicking. That should come with a change at PG hopefully, but Pop needs to realize being cute and zigging while the rest of the league is zagging will not get it done. A big part of the reason most of us predicted a postseason collapse was due to the predictability of the offense.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It seems you are getting excited and all wet suddenly...
    Dry and bored. Your hole doesn't excite. But I'm sure your phobic ass know some guys who will keep pumping your wishing well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If we can retain Lee, those 3 bigs are a nice rotation. Try and find a Splitter, Bogut, you know, something like that for a vet min. Those 4 to go with Bertans is a fine big rotation. The problem is the guard play. Manu is done. Parker is too inconsistent at his age. Same as Mills. Green, who knows who turns up but his D is great. What we need and everyone knows it, is a penetrating guard. Anderson can back up Leonard. Priority is a rotational sg who can contend for starting SG.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Something that needs to change, regardless of personnel moves, is the offensive system (or lack thereof). No more of this 90s style ISO offense; bring back more ball movement and driving and kicking. That should come with a change at PG hopefully, but Pop needs to realize being cute and zigging while the rest of the league is zagging will not get it done. A big part of the reason most of us predicted a postseason collapse was due to the predictability of the offense.
    The Spurs' current offense is a direct result of signing LMA. It will be the Spurs' offense as long as LMA wears a Spurs uniform. He has a very low BBIQ, and passing is a complete mystery to him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs' current offense is a direct result of signing LMA. It will be the Spurs' offense as long as LMA wears a Spurs uniform. He has a very low BBIQ, and passing is a complete mystery to him.
    They don't need to be an ISO offense to utilize him, nor does he need to be a great passer. They just need to use him as a spot up shooter more and get him to be a bit more of a roller. The entire team this season has a bad habit if standing around doing nothing on the offensive end; it's disgusting. Even if they come back with the same team next year that bad habit can't continue.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop knows this...Why do you think Kawhi has stopped doing post-ups and instead doing a lot of screen offense.

They just dont have the personel. Plus Aldridge never rolls.

You need great roll men to creat an offense that generates a lot of corner threes.

Draymond-Deandre-Thomposon etc.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop knows this...Why do you think Kawhi has stopped doing post-ups and instead doing a lot of screen offense.

They just dont have the personel. Plus Aldridge never rolls.

You need great roll men to creat an offense that generates a lot of corner threes.

Draymond-Deandre-Thomposon etc.
    Dedmon/Lee are solid rollers, and while LMA/Gasol aren't good at it you can utilize them in the high post ala Duncan or just have them on the perimeter. Kawhi has shown a growing ability to penetrate and kick out over the season, so hopefully he works on that further in the off season. The offense of the past two years was built strictly to combat the Dubs, and clearly it hasn't taken into account that other teams can easily game plan to stop it. There needs to be more fluidity and unpredictability to make it good enough to work in the playoffs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dedmon/Lee are solid rollers, and while LMA/Gasol aren't good at it you can utilize them in the high post ala Duncan or just have them on the perimeter. Kawhi has shown a growing ability to penetrate and kick out over the season, so hopefully he works on that further in the off season. The offense of the past two years was built strictly to combat the Dubs, and clearly it hasn't taken into account that other teams can easily game plan to stop it. There needs to be more fluidity and unpredictability to make it good enough to work in the playoffs.
    Lee is a solid Rollee but hes.mever going to play 20+ minutes. Dedman Rolls to the basket but he doesn't have the gravity that opens up opportunities for the ball handler.

- Gasol is a brilliant Hand-off player and a passer, but hos rolls are pretty mediocre. He doesn't have the right timing most of the tielme.

- Aldridhe never rolls.

- Utilizing a player in the high post to generate ball movement requires aggrssive rim attackers and a defense that will respect both the Guard and the Perimter guy. The only combination we have for that is Leonard-Gasol.

You're never going to be able to change the offensive system with this personel. You need another big man and another dymamic Guard.

For now, Leonard and Parker needs to continue attacking the pick and roll.

The problem is, when the ball swings...The only two guys that can attack a closeout is Parker and Leonard. They dont play together all the time, and for the right reasons...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lee is a solid Rollee but hes.mever going to play 20+ minutes. Dedman Rolls to the basket but he doesn't have the gravity that opens up opportunities for the ball handler.

- Gasol is a brilliant Hand-off player and a passer, but hos rolls are pretty mediocre. He doesn't have the right timing most of the tielme.

- Aldridhe never rolls.

- Utilizing a player in the high post to generate ball movement requires aggrssive rim attackers and a defense that will respect both the Guard and the Perimter guy. The only combination we have for that is Leonard-Gasol.

You're never going to be able to change the offensive system with this personel. You need another big man and another dymamic Guard.

For now, Leonard and Parker needs to continue attacking the pick and roll.

The problem is, when the ball swings...The only two guys that can attack a closeout is Parker and Leonard. They dont play together all the time, and for the right reasons...
    That's why we need to see more minutes for Murray/Bertans. Murray is that guard that teams will need to respect attacking the rim while Bertans can roll/slash/pop/etc. Teams would also have to respect LMA/Gasol on the perimeter since they can knock down outside shots; they'd keep the opposing defense honest opening things up for Kawhi/Parker/Murray alongside Bertans being a threat to shoot or drive.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I blame Messina. Ever since he came in, we lost all ball movement.

Thread Information