Page 5 of 376 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I blame Messina. Ever since he came in, we lost all ball movement.
    I blame LMA. We went to an iso-heavy offense to accommodate him. He is a black hole with a low BBIQ and no passing skill.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Always believed that if you have a shot at the WCF, you always have a shot.

Gotta roll the dice. So many things happen in the playoffs.

One Historic Spurs game in Golden State in the first two games might be enough. Who knows. Maybe Durant is bad for GSW. Maybe Mike Brown has a megative affect.
    I agree. Plus injuries. Injuries happen as we have seen with Curry and Durant. Lot's of variables. If you are a team with a ceiling of playing equaling a trip to a conference finals, you don't tamper too much IMO.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's not changing now as we all know. SA is getting good looks even vs a MEM defense that is very solid. The Spurs simply have to hit, especially from 3. In this offense, like they have done all season to the tune of the best 3PT% in the league, the have to hit a high percentage of 3's to make up for the other deficiencies.

Luckily the offense is still manufacturing those looks. Just have to hit now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They don't need to be an ISO offense to utilize him, nor does he need to be a great passer. They just need to use him as a spot up shooter more and get him to be a bit more of a roller. The entire team this season has a bad habit if standing around doing nothing on the offensive end; it's disgusting. Even if they come back with the same team next year that bad habit can't continue.
    You are right about all the inert bodies this season. But you are mistaken about LMA. He always wants to shoot that damn fadeaway jumper even against shorter guys on switches! He avoids contact as if the entire defensive team has leprosy. And we do need him to be at least a decent passer. Now he is simply a black hole. When he touches the ball, he is going to shoot it if at all possible before passing. And then it is just a pass back out to whoever fed him the ball. When the ball goes to LMA it sticks. You can't include him in the offense if you want a passing game.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You are right about all the inert bodies this season. But you are mistaken about LMA. He always wants to shoot that damn fadeaway jumper even against shorter guys on switches! He avoids contact as if the entire defensive team has leprosy. And we do need him to be at least a decent passer. Now he is simply a black hole. When he touches the ball, he is going to shoot it if at all possible before passing. And then it is just a pass back out to whoever fed him the ball. When the ball goes to LMA it sticks. You can't include him in the offense if you want a passing game.
    I've been saying it for 2 years now, when Aldridge has the ball, the only option that comes out of it is an Aldridge tough 2.

He can't get by his man, and can't attract weakside defenders and even if he does attract a trap or a double team (which is rare), he's a terrible passer.

If you want to run a great offense, your second option has to be a dual threat with the ball, either scoring or creating an easier shot for someone else. Aldridge doesn't do that. He's like the new age Vin Baker -- not the 24 year old Vin Baker, but the 30 year old Vin Baker. Aldridge is on his same path of regression with the same type of overrated limited offensive skill-set.

That's why I prefer Murray over Patty even right now ( I know it won't happen ever), but I'd give it a look if I was the coach. Why? Murray is a dual threat. He's not an Eddie House. Plus, he has an edge over Mills defensively. Conley is eating this series...
    Last edited by MaNu4Tres; 04-24-2017 at 10:27 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've been saying it for 2 years now, when Aldridge has the ball, the only option that comes out of it is an Aldridge tough 2.

He can't get by his man, and can't attract weakside defenders and even if he does attract a trap or a double team (which is rare), he's a terrible passer.

If you want to run a great offense, your second option has to be a dual threat with the ball, either scoring or creating an easier shot for someone else. Aldridge doesn't do that. He's like the new age Vin Baker.

That's why I prefer Murray over Patty even right now ( I know it won't happen ever), but I'd give it a look if I was the coach. Why? Murray is a dual threat. He's not an Eddie House. Plus, he has an edge over Mills defensively. Conley is eating this series...
    I have been calling for Pop to give the keys to Murray since last fall and use Tony on the second unit and as Dijon's Speedy Claxton security blanket. In today's NBA we probably would have sacrificed some wins and ended up with a lower seed, but Murray would be game-ready at this point. Tony and Patty will not cut it - especially PAIRED as they were in crunch time of game 4. SMH! Murray right now may be a good gamble - even though you are right, Pop would never do it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

If you want to run a great offense, your second option has to be a dual threat with the ball, either scoring or creating an easier shot for someone else. Aldridge doesn't do that. He's like the new age Vin Baker -- not the 24 year old Vin Baker, but the 30 year old Vin Baker. Aldridge is on his same path of regression with the same type of overrated limited offensive skill-set.

Imo, there's a slight remedy to Aldridge ty shot attempts and that's quick possessions on his shots. Statistically speaking, if the spurs can defend they can afford to have him take those shots but its got to be fast trigger.

The longer the possession, the worse it is for the spurs as far as averaging between defenses and offenses. But thats also not happening.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Imo, there's a slight remedy to Aldridge ty shot attempts and that's quick possessions on his shots. Statistically speaking, if the spurs can defend they can afford to have him take those shots but its got to be fast trigger.

The longer the possession, the worse it is for the spurs as far as averaging between defenses and offenses. But thats also not happening.
    I personally want to see more double screens for Kawhi and TP higher than usual to get both players going downhill a little bit more to put some pressure on the weakside defenders. I have yet to see this adjustment, but I'd like to see it.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What made Aldridge so good was his LETHAL midrange jumper..especially the turnaround over his left shoulder. He's ALWAYS been that player. He's never been anything else..PERIOD. He never could put the ball on the floor or create for others..

Things just got weird when the "original plan" in Aldridge eyes and even the Spurs didn't go like they thought when Parker fell off the map and Kawhi became a top MVP candidate over night..Aldridge is a rythym player who works outside in...meaning if his jumper falls early he gets confident on the block etc..

Aldridge needs a PG...and as we know Spurs don't have one.,but anybo

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What made Aldridge so good was his LETHAL midrange jumper..especially the turnaround over his left shoulder. He's ALWAYS been that player. He's never been anything else..PERIOD. He never could put the ball on the floor or create for others..

Things just got weird when the "original plan" in Aldridge eyes and even the Spurs didn't go like they thought when Parker fell off the map and Kawhi became a top MVP candidate over night..Aldridge is a rythym player who works outside in...meaning if his jumper falls early he gets confident on the block etc..

Another terrible analysis. The delusion of some idiots to try to talk ball in meaningful manner. Stick to ty podcast and vanilla takes like the rest pf the casuals. You clearly havent learned enough basketball to talk beyond hype and vanilla talk.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Another terrible analysis. The delusion of some idiots to try to talk ball in meaningful manner. Stick to ty podcast and vanilla takes like the rest pf the casuals. You clearly havent learned enough basketball to talk beyond hype and vanilla talk.

Please point out where I'm wrong or you disagree?

Actually don't lol..

How bout you go create another ty thread or beg to be bolded. Or maybe you can continue searching for your purpose in life and stop being an internet nerd with fake friends..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Please point out where I'm wrong or you disagree?

Actually don't lol..

How bout you go create another ty thread or beg to be bolded. Or maybe you can continue searching for your purpose in life and stop being an internet nerd with fake friends..

Triggered

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I blame LMA. We went to an iso-heavy offense to accommodate him. He is a black hole with a low BBIQ and no passing skill.
    We have an ISO offense because of Kawhi's emergence...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Too many people down on this team imo. We would have a really good chance (they'd likely be favorites) to win a championship this season if not for one Super-Team in Golden State. It sucks that they're so good cause that's really the only thing stopping us imo. I think we beat Memphis, beat Houston in a really compe ive series, and then would beat the Cavs in 6 tbh, as we're a bad matchup for them. Unfortunately, I don't think we'll get the chance.

That said, we can still improve, and I'm sure RC will cook something up, or at least try really hard to. Don't see CP3 coming here unfortunately though. He's made it pretty clear he wants to stay in LA.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Oh you can dish the heat but you can't take it?

Somebody bold this pussy so he can feel like he's accomplished..

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Too many people down on this team imo. We would have a really good chance (they'd likely be favorites) to win a championship this season if not for one Super-Team in Golden State. It sucks that they're so good cause that's really the only thing stopping us imo. I think we'd beat the Cavs in 6 tbh, as we're a bad matchup for them. Unfortunately, I don't think we'll get the chance.

+1,000,000

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Too many people down on this team imo. We would have a really good chance (they'd likely be favorites) to win a championship this season if not for one Super-Team in Golden State. It sucks that they're so good cause that's really the only thing stopping us imo. I think we beat Memphis, beat Houston in a really compe ive series, and then would beat the Cavs in 6 tbh, as we're a bad matchup for them. Unfortunately, I don't think we'll get the chance.

That said, we can still improve, and I'm sure RC will cook something up, or at least try really hard to. Don't see CP3 coming here unfortunately though. He's made it pretty clear he wants to stay in LA.
    This is desperation time! Teams have figured out how to defend against the Spurs! What makes it worse, is that the current offense is so predictable!

The guy who made the offense unpredictable (that's Manu) is too old to be on the court!

The guy who used to be able to create his own offense (that's Parker) doesn't have the legs underhim to make the shots he usually makes.

Aldridge has always been a one dimensional player and now at he's too old to learn new tricks.

Leonard is playing out of his mind, but one allstar player isn't going to beat a team with two or four all-star players. Spurs are like the Indiana Pacers with Paul George or the Thunder with Westbrook. Just one all star with a much of old role players.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We have an ISO offense because of Kawhi's emergence...
    Just the other way around. Kawhi's "emergence" is due, in large part, to his being forced into a point forward role by the offense. No smart team adopts antiquated iso-offense over the more efficient ball-movement game the Spurs formerly played, out of preference. They were forced into it. LMA is worthless in a ball-movement offense. He has a low BBIQ and no passing skill. When the ball reaches him, it sticks. He will either shoot or turn the ball over.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Well you didn't watch much basketball of him because you're wrong.

In Portland, yes Aldridge had a great mid-range game, but he had a strong rebuttal to that. He was able to put pressure at the rim by being able to put the ball on the floor when his man would converge and close out hard on his mid-range opportunities. This aspect made the weakside defensive help a lot more than we have seen the past two years. And when the weakside D did have to rotate over to contest at the rim, he was athletic enough to finish OVER them or make the simple pass to a teammate who was open.

He was also more demonstrative in his post moves as he'd make moves that put pressure at the rim. This is when he would come into training camp IN shape and was more athletic or lighter on his feet.

Now he's a lumbering version of himself and can't move to certain spots with his post moves as quickly-- which makes his post moves very easy to defend. He also can't make a strong move around his man when they close out or converge on him on the perimeter.

So yes you are wrong, he hasn't ALWAYS been this player.
    Last edited by MaNu4Tres; 04-25-2017 at 08:19 AM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

In Portland, yes Aldridge had a great mid-range game, but he had a strong rebuttal to that. He was able to put pressure at the rim by being able to put the ball on the floor when his man would converge and close out hard on his mid-range opportunities. This aspect made the weakside defensive help a lot more than we have seen the past two years. And when the weakside D did have to rotate over to contest at the rim, he was athletic enough to finish OVER them or make the simple pass to a teammate who was open.

He was also more demonstrative in his post moves as he'd make moves that put pressure at the rim. This is when he would come into training camp IN shape and was more athletic or lighter on his feet.

Now he's a lumbering version of himself and can't move to certain spots with his post moves as quickly-- which makes his post moves very easy to defend. He also can't make a strong move around his man when they close out or converge on him on the perimeter.

Oh he's regressed for sure. He's never been a guy to put the ball on the ground and made consistent plays for others..he was a black hole then just like he is now. He doesn't rebound at the same rate anymore either..his defense has improved as we know but everything else about his game has regressed..especially his jumper.

I think his biggest issue or adjustment which he's acknowledged himself is he's been unsure when to let it fly or get a good to great look..the culture and system is totally different then in Portland..

Most thought LMA was a great fit at the signing because they assumed the "beautiful game" system would get him a lot of easy looks and with him being arguably one of the best shooting bigs he'd capitalize on the great looks..except like I said before things changed when Kawhi became an MVP caliber player and his offensive game went to another level..and the regress of others (Diaw, Manu, Parker, Duncan) who were all important pieces in the Spurs system.
    Last edited by coachmac87; 04-25-2017 at 10:00 AM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Oh he's regressed for sure. He's never been a guy to put the ball on the ground and made consistent plays for others..he was a black hole then just like he is now. He doesn't rebound at the same rate anymore either..his defense has improved as we know but everything else about his game has regressed..especially his bread and butter jumper.

I think his biggest issue or adjustment which he's acknowledged himself is he's been unsure when to let it fly or get a good to great look..the culture and system is totally different then in Portland..

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh he's regressed for sure. He's never been a guy to put the ball on the ground and made consistent plays for others..he was a black hole then just like he is now. He doesn't rebound at the same rate anymore either..his defense has improved as we know but everything else about his game has regressed..especially his bread and butter jumper.

I don't think you understand what I meant. He was never a perimeter player and put the ball on the ground like a wing and created. But he did put the ball on the ground more often than he does now when his man would converge and close out on his potential mid-range attempts. He had a very nice overall game where he had counters to different defensive looks -- including putting the ball on the ground from 12-15 out.. Now he's very limited and doesn't have the the counters he once had.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think you understand what I meant. He was never a perimeter player and put the ball on the ground like a wing and created. But he did put the ball on the ground more often than he does now when his man would converge and close out on his potential mid-range attempts. He had a very nice overall game where he had counters to different defensive looks -- including putting the ball on the ground from 12-15 out.. Now he's very limited and doesn't have the the counters he once had.
    So you're telling me LMA was more of a post guy and wasn't known as a midrange shooting big?? Cmon now LMA has made his name in this league on his shooting ability..

Why do you think he was labeled soft coming in? Because he preferred shooting turn around jumpers and popping not rolling or banging in the paint

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    All I said was he's always been a shooting big with extreme limited playmaking skills for others and yes that included the post.

And putting the ball on the floor has never been a term for post play....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think it's a very general mistake by most NBA fans. I don't think people in general realize how much a simple counter skill, despite being used at low %, can open up someone's game.

Like. .A simple straight drive for a 3 and D player etc.

Sure they're not "known" for it. But it completely diversifies their game.

Thread Information