Page 6 of 376 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656106 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am not a happy camper, but I think we will win against the grizzlies and even sneak by Houston ... but then its over. get rid of Mills, Aldridge, Simmons ... start Murray over Parker ... I do not know if I want to dump Danny though

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am not a happy camper, but I think we will win against the grizzlies and even sneak by Houston ... but then its over. get rid of Mills, Aldridge, Simmons ... start Murray over Parker ... I do not know if I want to dump Danny though
    I have no problem with that. I even want Murray to play right now!
    I am not a happy camper either.
    I think Kawhi deserves a better coaching job from Pop and that his rigid schemes and lack of flexibility to adapt and play the guys that are having a good series is costing this team a whole lot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So basically rebuild our team around Murrary/Bertans/Kawhi.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So basically rebuild our team around Murrary/Bertans/Kawhi.
    Reload, yes.
    Stop giving fat contracts to the undeserved.
    If some of them want to come back at reasonable rates, fine.

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Reload, yes.
    Stop giving fat contracts to the undeserved.
    If some of them want to come back at reasonable rates, fine.
    Agreed. Stop giving contracts to unloyal Argies that would've played for Philly if you didn't match their offer

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spending 14 million on Manu was stupid should have let him be a sixer
    It didn't matter if Manu made $14mm or $3mm based on how the cap math worked last summer. Though would have been awesome to make his deal non-guaranteed in a second year after until after FA started to - if he decided to retire - be used as a trade chip that could bring in salary and immediately be released.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't know this guys tweeting, but further confirmation Hanga has most definitely NBA aspirations:
    Hanga rejected an extension offer from Baskonia:

Last edited by SAGirl; 04-27-2017 at 07:37 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sorry I forgot we have an offseason thread. Made a new thread for Paul George

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Pop has never focused our organization solely on, 'We've got to come up with the perfect team tonight.' He's always allowed us to plan. He's always been like, 'This is what's best for our team now. But let's not compromise what's best for the organization in the future.' So we live in that state all the time."
    http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/1...ing-tim-duncan
    I think that statement is encouraging in terms of hoping roleplayers don't get overpaid this summer and compromise flexibility moving forward.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bump.
    Since I was asked, here's a more-exact breakdown of what signing Paul would entail. According to this article by USA Today, the cap is projected to be $102 Million and the max for a player with 10 or more years of experience is $33.5 Million. The Spurs won't have more than like $13 Million in cap space this summer naturally, but they could create quite a bit more by dumping Parker and Gasol and by letting everyone but Simmons (because they're really not saving money but not tendering him) walk.

This is what they'd be looking at:

Name 2017-18
    LaMarcus Aldridge $21,461,010
    Kawhi Leonard $18,868,625
    Danny Green $10,000,000
    Tim Duncan (stretched) $1,881,250
    Kyle Anderson $2,151,704
    Dejounte Murray $1,312,611
    Livio Jean-Charles (waived) $1,035,200
    Jonathan Simmons (QO) $1,676,735
    Davis Bertans $1,312,611
    Bryn Forbes $1,312,611
    First-Rounder $1,697,225
    Milutinov $1,832,075
    Roster Charge $815,615
    Roster Charge $815,615
    Calculated Total $66,172,887
    Projected Cap $102,000,000
    Projected Cap Space $35,827,113
    Cap Space After Paul $2,327,113

So they'd have enough money to maybe since someone half-decent and still have the room MLE, which due to the new CBA will be about the size of the current MLE. But they'd have a lot of holes, as this roster breakdown shows:

Paul, Murray
    Green, Simmons, Forbes
    Leonard, Anderson
    Aldridge, Bertans
    Milutinov

You'd have to hope Lee would come back for one of those two salary slots, while they could get a guard to take the other. Stashing Nikola for another year and moving on from Simmons would make like another $1.5 Million, which may or may not make a difference. But I think the key will be cheap labor, which is why I wouldn't really even think of stashing the pick. Ideally, you sign some guys then S&T Simmons for another rotation player, but that's a -ton of trading away for one summer.

tl;dr: It's possible to get Paul/Lowry/Hill depending on how easy it would be to move Pau and Tony, and how willing they are to start over (relatively speaking) for a third summer in a row. If Paul or Lowry were willing to give up enough money to have the Spurs re-sign Dedmon, that would go a long way toward making the move worth it.

Lowry, Murray, min guy, rookie
    Green, cheap guard, Forbes
    Leonard, Simmons, pick
    Aldridge, Bertans, Anderson
    Dedmon, Lee, Milutinov, rookie

Could see that as the basis for a contending roster.
    I'd have to reconsider the fact that as we have always known Tony isn't getting traded.
    HOwever, I think up to the current moment Pau is not necessarily providing value as 15 mill is way too much for a bench player who is at around 16 or so minutes in the first round of the playoffs and looking awful at times, but maybe PATFO is fine with that because it's only an additional season with this one is already coming to a close. When both him and Tony's contracts expire is when they likely make their move. That times with Anderson and Bertans becoming FA and maybe with LJC and Tim's contracts getting cleared?

So, that leads me to believe their next move is scheduled for 2018, with this offseason being quiet. What may not allow it to be completely marginal is the fact they need to address the SG spot somehow just bc it's inescapable with Manu ? unknown though I think he retires, and Simmons a FA... as well as Mills.

If they were to make a move that is not just reupping Simmons and Mills, I'd like for that player to subs ute for Pau... but that's just a personal wish I guess.

Frankly sometimes I think they just reup Simmons and Mills, and call it an offseason... but it's just really uncertain bc the team does have issues.
    Last edited by SAGirl; 04-29-2017 at 07:40 AM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Might be a Longshot, but there's always the possibility of Dangubic being brought over.

His numbers won't wow you, but he's been a starting wing on a good euro team for awhile now, and his best attributes, perimeter defense and athletic finishing, would be fine for the end of the roster.

I think he's improved this year, but need to watch more to be sure if it's real or a small sample size of the games I watched. He *looked* like he was more comfortable as a ball handler in the pick and roll, and generally more assertive.

He still isn't a good 3 point shooter, and struggles guarding the post strength wise, but how much could he be making in Serbia? An NBA minimum or maybe even the extra roster spot flex salary might be good enough.

You want a guy to come in and guard ball handlers full court, switch between smaller wings, and play with athleticism, he's as good as most any summer league pick up to be and end of roster guy.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I tend to agree that this will be a modest 2017 off-season, though, I can see someone like Red coming here. No one should hold their breaths on Paul.

Spurs do have great value contracts though. I'd be curious to see if they flip them for an assets before it's too late.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I tend to agree that this will be a modest 2017 off-season, though, I can see someone like Red coming here. No one should hold their breaths on Paul.

Spurs do have great value contracts though. I'd be curious to see if they flip them for an assets before it's too late.
    The story of CoJo and other recent younger players that have played for the Spurs sort of tells me that Pop and RC likes to hold on to them while they are in their initial cheap contracts and let them develop. I think they value depth above all and Pop relies on those players through the season a lot. They may even want to hold on to them after, but even if they don't they value the depth they provide while they are in the team. I doubt any of those younger/cheaper contracts are traded.
    and actually just thinking about it right now... if they were to make a move for someone, say Pau opts out (unlikely but just saying hypothetical)... they would still need the cheap contracts to round out the roster.
    Last edited by SAGirl; 04-29-2017 at 10:27 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It seems like Bird resigning was bc he didn't want to oversee a rebuild and Paul George is likely getting traded.
    He wants LA and Spurs don't have the assets to get him.. (tradeable assets we are talking about here, not ridiculous ones)... anyways just thought I threw his name out there.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It seems like Bird resigning was bc he didn't want to oversee a rebuild and Paul George is likely getting traded.
    He wants LA and Spurs don't have the assets to get him.. (tradeable assets we are talking about here, not ridiculous ones)... anyways just thought I threw his name out there.
    I don't know why we traded him in the first place.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The story of CoJo and other recent younger players that have played for the Spurs sort of tells me that Pop and RC likes to hold on to them while they are in their initial cheap contracts and let them develop. I think they value depth above all and Pop relies on those players through the season a lot. They may even want to hold on to them after, but even if they don't they value the depth they provide while they are in the team. I doubt any of those younger/cheaper contracts are traded.
    and actually just thinking about it right now... if they were to make a move for someone, say Pau opts out (unlikely but just saying hypothetical)... they would still need the cheap contracts to round out the roster.
    Agree on the need to have good value contracts to round out depth, but there is a timeline for those pieces. Near the end of that cycle, the team will have to decide to either pay fair market deals (e.g., Danny, in his day Bonner, etc.) or move on a replace them with peices earlier in the timeline (e.g., Bertans, Forbes, maybe Hanga next year).

Players like Patty, Kyle, and Jonathan have been good for the team, but for distinct and valid reasons may not get new contracts. Take Kyle, who is a RFA next summer and has now had several years to develop with the team. Do the Spurs really want to match anything north of 7M for him even though that may be a "fair market" deal? If you're like me, who is not so sure, why not flip him now when his value is highest for a player/pick that would be earlier in their role player lifecycle?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't know why we traded him in the first place.
    But it'll be great to get him back. This place will explode if that happens.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agree on the need to have good value contracts to round out depth, but there is a timeline for those pieces. Near the end of that cycle, the team will have to decide to either pay fair market deals (e.g., Danny, in his day Bonner, etc.) or move on a replace them with peices earlier in the timeline (e.g., Bertans, Forbes, maybe Hanga next year).

Players like Patty, Kyle, and Jonathan have been good for the team, but for distinct and valid reasons may not get new contracts. Take Kyle, who is a RFA next summer and has now had several years to develop with the team. Do the Spurs really want to match anything north of 7M for him even though that may be a "fair market" deal? If you're like me, who is not so sure, why not flip him now when his value is highest for a player/pick that would be earlier in their role player lifecycle?
    Bc he likely only yields in exchange IMO an unplayable scrub or an "asset" you will never see in the NBA ever. Meanitime, he's played over 1000 minutes the past two seasons and has been healthy for all of them and is a good character "kid." He's outperformed a 1 million rook deal so he's given value. It's unlikely you get much in a trade for him bc he's precisely going to be a FA anyways and he is not a high upside guy. You likely get back for him a low 2nd round pick that doesn't yield an NBA player (odds are against it), someone Spurs stash and you will never see ever, or someone of that nature. Meantime you have a hole to fill and have to find it somewhere so you still have to pay somebody. I think for that reason Spurs would rather have the player for an additional season on the cheap than basically no playable body in the immediate present. They struggled to replace even CoJos production for example and got lucky with Murray.

I wouldn't dislike at all if he was traded for a player in a similar situation (in the 3rd season of his rook deal, if he was a guard). If he's let go bc they sign someone else that's fine. I just think they are happy with his production and would rather have the player while he's in this small deal than no one.

I think it would be different if some team was calling about him like Bird who wanted George Hill IMO and they could really covert him into a real asset at another spot or something, but just to trade him bc his contract is expiring next season? nah.
    Last edited by SAGirl; 04-30-2017 at 04:26 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd trade Kyle for an early 2nd ( Orlando) and target Wesley Iwundu or Jordan Bell ( if Spurs don't use the 29th on Jordan).

I'd then move Bertans to the back up SF to fill in SF minutes behind Kawhi ( he has the skillset) and then let Hanga, Iwundu, Simmons (1 +1 deal) compete for minutes at the SG position.

Flipping Anderson for a new rookie to replenish the system would be a win as Kyle's production can easily be replicated or improved on by Bertans, Simmons, Hanga, Iwundu options in 17'-18'. Spurs then get a valuable piece to develop the next 3-4 years in Iwundu for dirt cheap.

If Anderson showed consistency and significant improvement year after year the past 3 years, I'd feel different about Kyle -- but the guy just has a very limited ceiling as we've seen with his plateau over the past 3 years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Clippers are 1st NBA team ever to blow a playoffs series lead in 5 straight years

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Shhhh... I'll be gentle. TheDoctor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Stop w/ the spamming ducks. They paying you for those clicks huh?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Since this series will be a Rockets sweep, should pick up the conversation now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the same happens in game 2 it would be for the best if the Spurs were swept. No way Pop keeps the status quo, right?...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't even care what happens, just get LMA and Danny Green the off of this team.

Thread Information