Page 1 of 376 123451151101 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Series isn't over (yet) obviously, but might as well get this warmed up.

Poo needs to diaf.
    -LMA should be dangled to see what can be had for him, but otherwise keep him.
    -Parker needs to be moved to the bench, but still has something.
    -Manu needs to be taken out back and shot.
    -Green will be fine as long as the Spurs get a new penetrating PG. Not sure you can move him anyway since his D is so important.
    -Kawhi needs to work a bit on his handles and handling physical defenders
    -Mills, Dedmon, Simmons, and Lee can leave
    -Get Bertans and Murray some consistent damn playing time

Everyone's thoughts?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agree with all that. And before people come in and talk , even if Spurs win this series you know Rockets will beat them in 6 so good thread, Robz.

It's a process... mexicanjunior's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No need for the opening sentence...this season is over...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, off season starts now honestly. This series is done.

Mills will be gone. Kawhi will book it as soon as his contract is up. He should be tired as with the team he has around him. Hopefully he goes to an actual contender.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If there is another Mod out there::::

1) Pink OP
    2) Move this to the Think Tank

thxkthx

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Green, Manu, Mills, Simmons and Dedmon can get the off the team immediately. Useless sacks of , all of them.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Series isn't over (yet) obviously, but might as well get this warmed up.

Poo needs to diaf.
    -LMA should be dangled to see what can be had for him, but otherwise keep him.
    -Parker needs to be moved to the bench, but still has something.
    -Manu needs to be taken out back and shot.
    -Green will be fine as long as the Spurs get a new penetrating PG. Not sure you can move him anyway since his D is so important.
    -Kawhi needs to work a bit on his handles and handling physical defenders
    -Mills, Dedmon, Simmons, and Lee can leave
    -Get Bertans and Murray some consistent damn playing time

Everyone's thoughts?
    You beat me to it. Truth be told, I was close to pulling the trigger on this a few days ago, but knew the thread would be inundated with that essentially amounted to "you're giving up already?" and "can't this wait?", so I figured I'd wait until they were on the verge of flaming out against the Rockets.

- I'm done with Aldridge. Too limited and soft to be the 2nd best player on a championship team and doesn't time particularly well with Leonard
    - The return for Aldridge would dictate the level of interest I'd have in bringing back Mills and Dedmon

I agree with the rest, though I'd be open to moving anyone not named Leonard, Murray and Bertans.

I don't care whether they do one of their patented piss away a series they were in control of or save the inevitable embarrassing exit for the next round, they can't bring the majority of this team back if they're serious about winning a championship. They had no business finishing with the record/point differential they did and in reality, are much closer to the bottom four playoff seeds in the West than they are the Warriors.

TRU 'cross mah stomach LaMarcus Bryant's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Aldridge needs touches to be effective.
    Spurs have gone Kawhi Bean Bryant offense as this season has progressed.

It's on Pop for not finding a happy balance, and on LMA for screwing up his opportunities thus far

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    McGee/Gasol
    Aldridge/Bertans
    Leonard/Anderson
    Re /Green
    Murray/Parker

Dont want Anderson getting minutes, so Buford will have to draft a wing with potential. Maybe go after Stanley Johnson again....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree with OP pretty much.
    Lamarcus as good as he has been on defense, has not been offensively what he's supposed to be for the team. Also, only 2 rebounds in 42 minutes... Grizz bigs were a beast, for a big like him just 2 rebounds in a playoff game it's almost ridiculous. Randolph had an off game offensively and still got 11 boards for example.
    Also, when Pop tried to run the offense through Lamarcus he was a disaster, bc when he gets doubled he doesn't make the right reads or he gets the ball and doesn't want to shoot, or he's otherwise uncomfortable with his shot opportunities. He's been too passive a scorer and the team needs him. If they underachieve, aside of the guard situation with Manu having fallen off a cliff b4 our eyes, it's bc Lamarcus is not stepping up more.
    As good as Pau is offensively it was telling that Pop closed the game with Lee (and he's a poor choice for defense, specially with his proclivity to give up and 1)... anyways, Pau was benched more or less. In a game that went OT he only played 21 minutes.

Agree Murray and Bertans should play more.
    I am ambivalent on Mills. I think if you start Murray and move on to the next generation (even if he struggles and is up and down, team needs to push him)... anyways, that means Tony and him will be the guys for the most part and signing Mills in that situation is a waste of team resources, I am with MaNu4Tres on that one.

If I have another thought I will add or comment later.
    Manu will retire that is a given.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, off season starts now honestly. This series is done.
    2014 -- Spurs struggle to get by 8 seed Dallas in 7 games. Win le.

2016 -- Spurs sweep 7 seed Memphis in 4. Lose in 2d round to OKC.

Based on history, I'll take the tough 1st round series.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    2014 -- Spurs struggle to get by 8 seed Dallas in 7 games. Win le.

2016 -- Spurs sweep 7 seed Memphis in 4. Lose in 2d round to OKC.

Based on history, I'll take the tough 1st round series.
    Yea... I am hoping this is more similar to 2014 as the team has a lot of new players, and Pop is probably going to have to make adjustments that incorporate players that he has not relied on b4 and to move on from some that he has. Probably the team's iden y is a little bit in flux.

TRU 'cross mah stomach LaMarcus Bryant's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yea... I am hoping this is more similar to 2014 as the team has a lot of new players, and Pop is probably going to have to make adjustments that incorporate players that he has not relied on b4 and to move on from some that he has. Probably the team's iden y is a little bit in flux.
    The latter for sure. The only hope this team has of succeeding is finding a unique iden y and staying in a rhythm to maximize itself. Still time to do that, but its gotta happen soon.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Aldridge needs touches to be effective.
    Spurs have gone Kawhi Bean Bryant offense as this season has progressed.

It's on Pop for not finding a happy balance, and on LMA for screwing up his opportunities thus far
    I was saying the same thing earlier in the season and I still maintain that he did at the time. But not counting preseason, we're now 86 games into the season and there's been no progression to the mean. He needs to do more with the touches he does get for them to entrust him with more possessions. He's been abysmal at attempting to create his own shot all season. They labor enough offensively as is; they can't afford more possessions watching his low percentage attempts and grenades to others up against a shot clock about to detonate.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The latter for sure. The only hope this team has of succeeding is finding a unique iden y and staying in a rhythm to maximize itself. Still time to do that, but its gotta happen soon.
    The only hope this team has is to figure out a way to pull a 2011 all over again at this season's draft, except the guy they draft this season will have to take off faster than Kawhi. We are stuck with erratic role players and very little cap space to make any big splashes. Even if we were to hit another draft day home run, though, Pop would sit him on the bench and play him in Austin next season.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was saying the same thing earlier in the season and I still maintain that he did at the time. But not counting preseason, we're now 86 games into the season and there's been no progression to the mean. He needs to do more with the touches he does get for them to entrust him with more possessions. He's been abysmal at attempting to create his own shot all season. They labor enough offensively as is; they can't afford more possessions watching his low percentage attempts and grenades to others up against a shot clock about to detonate.
    Spurs simply don't have good shot creators ( they have a really good one, but he has a rookie disease and is glued to the bench because its not fair yet) .

Everyone outside of Kawhi is constantly being stonewalled by their man when they make any move towards the rim. When they are being stone walled by their own defender, it's depressing. Passes are being made to guarded players. It means the weakside defense doesn't have to work or move or bend. That is why we are seeing so many last second grenades being thrown up from Anderson, Manu, Patty, Green. We are so fortunate Parker has been decent to even still be in this series. Fact of the matter is, this is a perimeter oriented league. Patty can't get off anything, unless he cheats the D in transition, Manu is done, Anderson was crap tonight, Green looks like a PE All Star when he has to try to make a move. Even for the bigs, Aldridge has been a mess all year, he can't get by his guy or put any pressure at the rim with any moves. He's as predictable as they come on offense.

I would have liked to see Gasol, Bertans more.

Lee and Manu need to sit forever.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Aldridge earns his money. He does exactly what he is told to. He got it Going in thw third, and no one was looking for him. He cant help that the team has no legitimate creators. Gasol is likely the best creator the spurs have, thats sad. Team needa a real pg, someone who can attack. The wntire team is jump shooters, everyone haz to stay home. The pg should be destroying Memphis right now, not having a good quarter here oe there.

Manu is hard to watch. No defense, no offense amd bad decisions.

Bertans and simmons need to play. Dedmon oa showing why he wasnt getting big offers. All three should be retained relatively cheap. Of course bertans will be. Pop needs to give simmons the keys to the secons unit and sit manu already. Kid has earned it. Spmeone will next year. Hope he doesnt turn into another jamaaaaiiyyykal.

Anderson role is easy against this team, rebound and create, and he has been good in that role. He looks in better shape than he ever has. Woulsnt be the worse retaining him for depth.

Mills has beem off and so has Danny. I expect them to play well next game.

As far as coaching, pop is keeping everyone's price down in the offseason tbh. Always playing chess. Series isnt in jeopardy at all.
    Nees to move on from baggage players and lwt these young guys develop already. Experience is where theyll grow.
    Pick up a slasher and creator, and this team is eazily a contender. They need more compe ive spirit though.

Grizzlies are playing better than all the other bottom 4 teams. Hats off to them.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LA will have little value this summer. Spurs are better off keeping him, and letting him walk when he opts out. For the first time as a Spur, he may finally get off his ass and put in work this summer since it will essentially be his contract year. But what team would give up nice assets for a 1 yr rental w/out clarity on his intentions to re-sign or opt in? Even if LA commits to a team and tells them he'll re-sign, that ONE team will have leverage to drive down the price since that's the only place LA is willing to go.

Spurs will have to improve internally.

What I think will happen:

They will probably keep LA bc his value has dropped as I explained why above.
    There's a small chance Pau opts out.
    I think the market for a vet PF like Lee is very small to non existent ( he'll probably opt in).
    Parker will start the season as the starting PG next yr.
    Spurs will be getting their play-maker off the bench with Murray as their back up PG.
    Manu will retire.
    Let Patty get paid elsewhere.
    Simmons will likely be elsewhere, or he may be back on a 1+1 cheap deal.
    Hanga will be brought over.
    Spurs should explore the market with Anderson. I'd consider trading him for a high 2nd rounder ( ORL) and get a prospect for cheap for the next 4 yrs vs. having Anderson for 1 more year before Restricted Free Agency ( not that think he will get paid -- I just rather have the 800K prospect for 4 years than pay Anderson 5-6 million. Andersons' 5-6 million + Mills 15 million can be used more efficiently at more relevant spots in the rotation.

Spurs really need to find a way to get another quality 3 and D player. Much better than Anderson/Simmons, they need this player to be the 3rd wing behind Kawhi/Green. Through trade, through the draft, through FA, it has to happen.

Murray, Bertans will have bigger roles. Forbes may have a role as well.

Dedmon has a huge question mark, not sure where his market sits with his disappointing end of the season. Unless SVG falls in love w/ him like he has all of the centers Spurs have to let go.

Parker/Murray/ Forbes/ vet PG
    Green/Simmons?/ Hanga/ rookie?
    Kawhi/ Bertans ( I know he played 4 this yr but Pop has to make this move next yr)/ Rookie?Trade?
    LA/ Lee/ Rookie? Jordan Bell please? Lessort?
    Pau?/Dedmon?/ Milutinov?
    Last edited by MaNu4Tres; 04-23-2017 at 03:11 AM.

Chillin' like a villain... TampaDude's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Manu is done. No matter what happens in this playoffs, he's gonna retire.

BTW I still think VC is on PEDs. He's way too athletic for his age.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LA will have little value this summer. Spurs are better off keeping him, and letting him walk when he opts out. For the first time as a Spur, he may finally get off his ass and put in work this summer since it will essentially be his contract year. But what team would give up nice assets for a 1 yr rental w/out clarity on his intentions to re-sign or opt in? Even if LA commits to a team and tells them he'll re-sign, that ONE team will have leverage to drive down the price since that's the only place LA is willing to go.

Spurs will have to improve internally.

What I think will happen:

They will probably keep LA bc his value has dropped as I explained why above.
    There's a small chance Pau opts out.
    I think the market for a vet PF like Lee is very small to non existent ( he'll probably opt in).
    Parker will start the season as the starting PG next yr.
    Spurs will be getting their play-maker off the bench with Murray as their back up PG.
    Manu will retire.
    Let Patty get paid elsewhere.
    Simmons will likely be elsewhere, or he may be back on a 1+1 cheap deal.
    Hanga will be brought over.
    Spurs should explore the market with Anderson. I'd consider trading him for a high 2nd rounder ( ORL) and get a prospect for cheap for the next 4 yrs vs. having Anderson for 1 more year before Restricted Free Agency ( not that think he will get paid -- I just rather have the 800K prospect for 4 years than pay Anderson 5-6 million. Andersons' 5-6 million + Mills 15 million can be used more efficiently at more relevant spots in the rotation.

Spurs really need to find a way to get another quality 3 and D player. Much better than Anderson/Simmons, they need this player to be the 3rd wing behind Kawhi/Green. Through trade, through the draft, through FA, it has to happen.

Murray, Bertans will have bigger roles. Forbes may have a role as well.

Dedmon has a huge question mark, not sure where his market sits with his disappointing end of the season. Unless SVG falls in love w/ him like he has all of the centers Spurs have to let go.

Parker/Murray/ Forbes/ vet PG
    Green/Simmons?/ Hanga/ rookie?
    Kawhi/ Bertans ( I know he played 4 this yr but Pop has to make this move next yr)/ Rookie?Trade?
    LA/ Lee/ Rookie? Jordan Bell please? Lessort?
    Pau?/Dedmon?/ Milutinov?
    Heard the Spurs are intersted with Stanley Johnson.

Man, I was screaming Evan Fournier two-three years ago before he became an expensive player.

I think there's interest with Simmons and Possibly Anderson. I doubt FO resigns Simmons. I expect him to get a 4+ deal.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    as for the guys they would reup.. its very uncertain bc the market dictates prices and guys all of a sudden get interest from some team and poof... it happened with Cojo, Baynes, etc. Even roleplayers that we think are marginal have value. spursfan tends to underrate their own guys.

Thus I have stated from the very beginning I don't see Simmons doing a 1 and 1. He's 28 this summer and no way is that a good deal for him. I also think elsewhere he would get a better chance to play, even more usage. Guys at the spot in his career he's at are not going to care about being in the winning team and culture etc. He's already done that for 2 seasons on the cheap. He will look for a contract with guaranteed years from whoever, wherever he can get minutes.

This playoffs are still running and with Manu having fallen off a cliff and retiring, Simmons has a chance. Depending how he does with the chances he's about to get is the contract offer the Spurs are going to be prepared to make. No matter what Hanga is coming over to compete for minutes, Anderson is still in the team (IMO unlikely to be traded, with as much change as the team is going to suffer Spurs will hold on to Anderson for the length of his rook contract at least) and Murray and Bertans will for sure play more next season. Spurs may even draft a wing.... so If Simmons doesn't get market value and guaranteed years he will bolt and that is probably for the best for his personal interest like CoJo, unless Spurs were to commit to him. So far he hasn't earned that contract from the Spurs, but he still has time.

Spurs will need to reevaluate the whole team and maybe keeping Simmons at market value is worth it, might even be a better choice than paying Mills a big contract, depending on playoff performance.

I agree won't get much for Aldridge and the way contracts for even second tier stars have ballooned (like al Horford for example), Aldridge is in a good contract. Pau off the bench with as much personnel change as the spurs are likely to see is not a bad idea.

They will need internal growth from their young players.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My main hope is that the Spurs don't go signing players to pretend to contend like this past season. Just embrace taking a step back to develop younger players/preserve cap space for 2018. Let Kawhi go wild and win an MVP ala Westchimp.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agreed on taking a step back, forcing Pop to only have young players for any roster changes, and they have to PLAY YOUNG unlike Anderson.

Why bring Lee back? Blocking Bertans is what he does. Why bring Mills back? To watch him plump back into an Aussie Porker in his 30s and see his defense get even worse?

Maybe without having these vets around​ as easy crutches for Pop to put unreasonable faith in he'll have to exercise his mind again and innovate again.

hope and change
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs can't get much better this offseason, where's the 2018 offseason thread?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    TBH we are contending for the le, it is just that Warriors got Durant. If Warriors weren't around, I would say we are west favourites, and I like our chances against the Cavs.

Thread Information