My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://www.basketballanalyticsbook.c...-now-outdated/

It's an analytics article, so I am sure it will not be appreciated by some here. Anyways, it's interesting.

In their awareness of the value in the corner 3 and in other ways, the Spurs were an innovative offense under Popovich. But the tail ends of the above charts suggest that the current Spurs, which must operate in a modern NBA informed by analytics, are no longer ahead of the curve.
    It’s hard to mention analytics without someone associating the movement with the suggestion that teams should shoot less mid-range jumpers and more 3s. Of course, this was a valid suggestion, and teams did improve by simply rerouting a percentage of 18-footers to behind the arc. But, not all 3s are equal. Above-the-break 3s aren’t as efficient as corner 3s, and a truly savvy team will find ways to shift inefficient mid-range attempts to those corners.
    A team’s ratio of mid-range jumpers to corner 3s functions as a quick assessment of their shot selection. In 1997, teams averaged over 13 mid-range attempts for every corner 3. This past season, teams averaged less than 3 mid-range attempts for every corner shot.
    The following chart shows that by 2005, San Antonio was operating at 2017 league average rates. They were more than a decade ahead of their peers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The high amount of corner 3s in the prev Spurs incarnations were generated through constant penetration and kick -outs. It was great having prime Manu and Parker, wasn't it?

The Spurs of the last couple of years, after Parker's drop off, have no one who's good enough at dribble penetration, so they rely on different things because their personnel defines what they're able to do. It'd be great if Murray's game improves in this direction, he has the tools - a quick first step and speed, but his dribbling and finishing around the rim should be improved a ton.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In addition to that, in their best iterations, Spurs had big men who rolled and set great screens like Tim and others who also liked to play in the paint and were good passers like Tiago and Boris.

Not only have the guards drives declined, but the big men play differently.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's a matter of personnel. The author states they have the right personnel, but he's wrong.

I think the team is trying to zig while the others zag. It hasn't quite worked... but they won over 60 games last year and were going to give the Warriors a good shot until Zaza took out Kawhi. So, whatever.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The offense the team ran in the pre-season is definitely not outdated. But any type of iso game would be, whether that's Kawhiso or the number of poor post-ups LMA had against Chicago.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The offense the team ran in the pre-season is definitely not outdated. But any type of iso game would be, whether that's Kawhiso or the number of poor post-ups LMA had against Chicago.
    Preseason doesn't count at this point.

Edited bc really until we see the team with Kawhi, what we see right now might be temporary.
    Last edited by SAGirl; 10-23-2017 at 01:59 PM.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You've got to have both iso game and team game. Good team play makes for winning but you need the threat of an unstoppable player to attract a double team to open it up. Kawhi needed a good year to learn how to do that and he got that. But you still have to keep feeding him or he'll lose it. Its a fine balance.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    well, Pop tries to use the players to their advantages ... obviously he screws up sometimes (RJ, LMA) ... at least he does not try to get any players just to run one system but he constantly adapts with what he has at hios disposal

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We've all been a little mystified by the moves in the offseason, bringing in all those middle size guys. Could Pop be looking for the next new thing? Not going small, but going mid size with guys quick enough and tall enough to bother all the teams that go small.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kawhi is the only player keeping this Offense being top 5 to bottom 5.

Fathead is one of he worst offensive players ever. We need to stop playing him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You've got to have both iso game and team game. Good team play makes for winning but you need the threat of an unstoppable player to attract a double team to open it up. Kawhi needed a good year to learn how to do that and he got that. But you still have to keep feeding him or he'll lose it. Its a fine balance.
    Like this.

They were trying to find balance between what Kawhi could do by himself and what the bench and shooters could do with motion. This balance started to look great in playoffs.

Like or not, every contender needs an iso player that can win games. In last two Finals we saw Irving and KD going iso in crucial moments to win the le.

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kawhi is the only player keeping this Offense being top 5 to bottom 5.

Fathead is one of he worst offensive players ever. We need to stop playing him.
    Wait until they find out Fathead has 2 assists in 62 minutes so far this season (Also 16 points on 16 shots)....

With Fathead, Green, and Gasol all getting around 30 minutes a night, is anyone surprised the offense stalls?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We've all been a little mystified by the moves in the offseason, bringing in all those middle size guys. Could Pop be looking for the next new thing? Not going small, but going mid size with guys quick enough and tall enough to bother all the teams that go small.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ---------------------------------

very interesting idea

hope Spurs continue their learning curve against the Warriors

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the Spurs are still the best in the game right now, with the exception of the Warriors

Only the Warriors are clearly ahead, the Spurs, with best play, can beat all the others

------------------------------------------------------------------
    So the Great Goal remains the same, learn how to beat the Warriors in the Western Finals,

then win the NBA le!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    man, i had no idea what pop was doing in chi-town. it was almost as if he treated like a scrimmage. certainly hope to see something different tonight.

Thread Information