Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I thought this Spurs team was a paper tiger, much like the one that list to the grizzlies the last time around. Is be surprised at this point if the Spurs win this series. Pop insists on playing unproductive vets over guys who can score. The Spurs offense simply can't keep up, which is an amazing thing to say considering they're playing the ing Memphis grizzlies.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I predicted 6 beforehand, but this team should be embarrassed that it's actually going to take that and it speaks volumes about them. An all-time great two way performance from Leonard, arguably the best (at least, considering the stakes) post prime Parker performance and they still lost to a Grizzlies team that has no superstar, pathetic depth on the perimeter and doesn't cause matchup issues.

This series was about getting out of it in 5, so that their old asses could get at least equal rest to the Rockets before that track meet ensues. Now, that's more than likely not happening and the only positive about this prospective series is, Harden's wrist injury has derailed his shot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Rockets and Warriors showing us how true contenders look in the playoffs. Beating up on lower seeded teams, even if your MVP doesn't show up in the game. Harden looked like today on the road, but his teammates showed up. Kawhi's teammates are just straight trash. Just shows the Spurs are trash.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Rockets and Warriors showing us how true contenders look in the playoffs. Beating up on lower seeded teams. Just shows the Spurs are trash.
    Aside from Kawhi, The Biebs is right on the money this time.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Now that Cleveland has won today, what time would game 5 be? I think Sean mentioned last night during the broadcast it would be earlier if Cleveland advanced? Anyone know the time yet?

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Now that Cleveland has won today, what time would game 5 be? I think Sean mentioned last night during the broadcast it would be earlier if Cleveland advanced? Anyone know the time yet?
    8pm ct

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Basically this. The current iteration of the Spurs reminds me of the first iteration of the LeBron Cavs. Just hope Kawhi doesn't jump ship; he got a ring already, it's just on the Spurs to give him the talent to have a chance.
    He got a ring, respect and a Finals MVP, courtesy of Pop and the Big 3, if he leaves he is a of a person and player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Aldridge does not give me any hope.
    He's definitely got to play better, then again though he is facing arguably the best defensive big in the game. Still though just need to play better as a TEAM and not ride Kawhi. This series reminds me of Spurs vs Mavs first round back in 2014. Spurs kicked it into high gear in game 7. Only problem is this Grizz team is much better than that Mavs team, and this Spurs team is not as good, as of now. Let's hope they bring it game 5.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He got a ring, respect and a Finals MVP, courtesy of Pop and the Big 3, if he leaves he is a of a person and player.
    Thing about Kawhi is that he doesn't give a genuine what you think. People who do never make it to where he is. He'll do what's in him to do. He's made a big enough splash this year to attract some star power attention. He's a superstar who's not a media , not a talker and wants you to get the spotlight over him. He just wants to win. That seems like anyone in the upper tiers would fight to get to play with that guy.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thing about Kawhi is that he doesn't give a genuine what you think. People who do never make it to where he is. He'll do what's in him to do. He's made a big enough splash this year to attract some star power attention. He's a superstar who's not a media , not a talker and wants you to get the spotlight over him. He just wants to win. That seems like anyone in the upper tiers would fight to get to play with that guy.
    So by your logic, players will be killing themselves to come and play here with Kawhi.

I canīt do anything but hope you are right.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So by your logic, players will be killing themselves to come and play here with Kawhi.

I canīt do anything but hope you are right.
    The only caveat to that is if Pop continues to feature worn out faces for marketing purposes instead of building a solid team with strength in each position. This "bar of soap" needs to stop.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs should win Game 5. I worry about their being a 7th game where anything can happen though.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The only caveat to that is if Pop continues to feature worn out faces for marketing purposes instead of building a solid team with strength in each position. This "bar of soap" needs to stop.
    I donīt think the problem for the team will be the "bar of soap" as it wasnīt this season, and for sure wonīt be next season salary wise nothing is commited to him.
    The glaring problems with this team donīt lay on Ginobiliīs contract or production, other than the last 4 games his production was enough, and his contract this year didnīt our roster salary wise.
    The problem lays within the players having bigger roles and longer contracts, who are not living up to the expectations we had on them. I can understand the furious approach about Manu for the money he is making, but like it or not, it didnīt really affect our team building.
    The problem forward will be to add new pieces that can add to this team with the little cap weīll have.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I donīt think the problem for the team will be the "bar of soap" as it wasnīt this season, and for sure wonīt be next season salary wise nothing is commited to him.
    The glaring problems with this team donīt lay on Ginobiliīs contract or production, other than the last 4 games his production was enough, and his contract this year didnīt our roster salary wise.
    The problem lays within the players having bigger roles and longer contracts, who are not living up to the expectations we had on them. I can understand the furious approach about Manu for the money he is making, but like it or not, it didnīt really affect our team building.
    The problem forward will be to add new pieces that can add to this team with the little cap weīll have.
    I'm not talking about Manu specifically. I am talking about relying too much on soon-to-retire guys as if it's a last hoorah for this or that soon-to-retire Spurs face. We went down that road, and Kawhi isn't about to retire so get some real talent. KL is a gazelle, he needs speed on the floor with him. All this pudgy slow barely out of D-league talent or old washed up guys who need days off every other day aren't going to allow these Spurs to capitalize on KL's abilities, and KL will spend years on the bubble getting noticed like CP3 but not getting further than that. There aren't many (if any) prime Manu or Tony types running around for sale, but at least get a Dragic type point guard who can attack the paint, some real 3pt shooting and a legit big with an up and coming backup. If the Spurs want to go the cheap route, they deserve what they get if it backfires.

Tim is gone, and he was the best defensive big in the game (maybe next to Gobert) when he left. That's a big hole to fill with rim protection. We have almost zero rim protection now, outside of Danny or KL. Our bigs just usher players to the rim and stand there, hands waist high, and watch the action or they foul without even stopping the play, with that ass swipe down at the ball instead of standing ground like Marc Gasol did against KL. Makes me miss Tiago.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    WE got to see it, but does Pop? To me it looked like he was experimenting with lineups almost as if he doesn't realize this is the playoffs and the regular season is over. Playing Tony and Patty together? Sending in DLee specifically for D? Heck some of his lineups were changed so fast it was hard to keep up with who was on the floor! He doesn't seem to be trying to settle on rotations or keep effective units on the floor together for long enough to get the individual players any rhythm or the unit any chemistry. Bertans is just as likely to get a DNP next game as he is to play.
    He's going to have to rely on younger players to even get out of the first round and I don't think he's ready for that. But someone will have to make him be ready.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not talking about Manu specifically. I am talking about relying too much on soon-to-retire guys as if it's a last hoorah for this or that soon-to-retire Spurs face. We went down that road, and Kawhi isn't about to retire so get some real talent. KL is a gazelle, he needs speed on the floor with him. All this pudgy slow barely out of D-league talent or old washed up guys who need days off every other day aren't going to allow these Spurs to capitalize on KL's abilities, and KL will spend years on the bubble getting noticed like CP3 but not getting further than that. There aren't many (if any) prime Manu or Tony types running around for sale, but at least get a Dragic type point guard who can attack the paint, some real 3pt shooting and a legit big with an up and coming backup. If the Spurs want to go the cheap route, they deserve what they get if it backfires.

Tim is gone, and he was the best defensive big in the game (maybe next to Gobert) when he left. That's a big hole to fill with rim protection. We have almost zero rim protection now, outside of Danny or KL. Our bigs just usher players to the rim and stand there, hands waist high, and watch the action or they foul without even stopping the play, with that ass swipe down at the ball instead of standing ground like Marc Gasol did against KL. Makes me miss Tiago.
    I agree with your analysis. The problem is the Spurs are in a financial bind. As long as they refuse to part with LMA, Pau, Green or (especially) Tony, they have too little cap space to sign "a Dragic type point guard who can attack the paint, some real 3pt shooting and a legit big with an up and coming backup." This off-season, they will have to (once again) rely on turning up a diamond-in-the-rough, serviceable veteran or two on the cheap and/or a draft pick that Pop can bury on the bench/in Austin for a year or two. The signing of soft, fade-away shooting, iso-dependent LMA has altered the Spurs's style of play, Kawhi's developmental arc and placed the team in a cap bind for several years of Kawhi's prime. The sharp decline of Tony and Manu, coupled with PATFO's failure to recognize this inevitable eventuality and prepare for it has doomed the Spurs to several years of mediocrity - even if their regular season record seems to indicate otherwise. What realistic moves would you recommend this off-season - given the cap constraints and PATFO's blind loyalty/stubbornness?

Tbh, the best thing working in the Spurs' favor this offseason is the financial bind facing the Warriors.
    Last edited by sasaint; 04-24-2017 at 08:49 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's going to have to rely on younger players to even get out of the first round and I don't think he's ready for that. But someone will have to make him be ready.
    What "someone" do you recommend?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe as good a choice as the Spurs currently have!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would expect one of the assistants to help there. I'd hope Becky who has coached summer league maybe... but who knows? We don't know what goes on behind close doors. Someone had to have pointed to him it was time to bench Pau at some point mid season so maybe it's not lost on the coaching staff that Pop needs to do something.
    I have little faith in Pop making adjustments when it comes to putting more faith in younger players. I tell you I think Murray should be playing too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i will say this: if you follow the playoff format, you will generally see younger players perform much better at home than on the road. so with that in mind, i expect some of the role players for memphis such as ennis III to drop off in game 5. conversely, i would expect green and patty to play better here. if that happens, and kawhi is kawhi and aldridge and parker show they can at least compete then the spurs will take game 5. i had picked the spurs in a grueling six game series and i still stand by that, but i have seen some problems that i did not fully anticipate so it could go the full seven.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the Spurs want to go the cheap route, they deserve what they get if it backfires.
    They haven't gone the "cheap route". They have spent to add talent.... they are very high over the cap, close to the lux line.
    The problem is the talent they have added the past couple of seasons consists of Lamarcus who is underachieving... He was not signed just for the defense (Dedmon instead was!)... he was signed to be a second star and is playing like a roleplayer.
    the other high ticket guy they have added is Pau.. who might as well be TOSB Pau instead of MVPau... bc he's being inefficient having cooled off and can't guard a soul. I have doubts he will be able to stay on the floor the rest of the other rounds if he's already getting benched against Memphis and Pop instead playing DLee who is in a vet min deal 33 minutes, and in fact he should have played rook Bertans more! What does that say about Pau?

Can't place the blame on the "so called barely out of dleague" guys when they are actually having a good series shooting efficiently and have the short hook, get in and out with weird lineups and the whole thing is not about them, not even sure Pop cares to get those guys going. No... this debacle is in the old washed up guys like Manu and Pau and in Danny and Patty Mills being off and Patty, on top of his poor shooting, being a defensive liability who can't guard anyone. Then it's on Pop himself who threw away game 3 with a hockey subs ution with 22 minutes still to be played and the team down by 9. He just doesn't know who he needs to play. He should have benched some veterans by now, but he can't bring himself to do it bc they are veterans. Instead the young players have the short hook, and they are actually having decent series and quality play.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree with your analysis. The problem is the Spurs are in a financial bind. As long as they refuse to part with LMA, Pau, Green or (especially) Tony, they have too little cap space to sign "a Dragic type point guard who can attack the paint, some real 3pt shooting and a legit big with an up and coming backup." This off-season, they will have to (once again) rely on turning up a diamond-in-the-rough, serviceable veteran or two on the cheap and/or a draft pick that Pop can bury on the bench/in Austin for a year or two. The signing of soft, fade-away shooting, iso-dependent LMA has altered the Spurs's style of play, Kawhi's developmental arc and placed the team in a cap bind for several years of Kawhi's prime. The sharp decline of Tony and Manu, coupled with PATFO's failure to recognize this inevitable eventuality and prepare for it has doomed the Spurs to several years of mediocrity - even if their regular season record seems to indicate otherwise. What realistic moves would you recommend this off-season - given the cap constraints and PATFO's blind loyalty/stubbornness?

Tbh, the best thing working in the Spurs' favor this offseason is the financial bind facing the Warriors.
    look at every top 4 conference team, all have elite point guards except spurs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    it's tough to question pop. he has one superstar, a false favorite (horse racing term) and an aging point guard. then he inconsistent role players and a bevy of untested younger players. easy to guess what rotation when we get to do that from our living rooms but much harder to do so when there is very little margin of error.

Thread Information