Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Millennial Messiah UNT Eagles 2016's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    I'm sure he is. He played in an elite college program and played in a lot of big games. But I still think unless Savage gets hurt he sits a year...which is preferable. He still has a ways to go learning the offense and catching up the speed at this level.
    if Savage is the starter for 16 games, then 2013 it is for you guys. Well at least you'll get to draft another high WR or something

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    Houston Oilers
    Post Count
    Get the out of my thread and stop quoting me. I've had you on ignore for a while now.

My Team
    Houston Oilers
    Post Count
    First camp casualty...Will Fuller breaks his collarbone. Out until midseason. Sucks, but not a huge deal. Strong and Miller will step up.

My Team
    Houston Texans
    Post Count
    Hopefully DW gets plenty of snaps tonight.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    Start him week 1. The Watson vs Mariota duels are going to be lit

My Team
    Houston Oilers
    Post Count
    Better to let Savage start. Houston's early schedule is brutal. At Cincy, at NE and the Chiefs in prime time. If he falls flat then put the kid in.

My Team
    Houston Oilers
    Post Count
    Watson got some work with the 1's yesterday. BOB seems to be sending a message to Savage...show you are ready for prime time or I'll put the kid in. I'm glad to see it. As much as I'd like to hold off on throwing Watson in the fire it's good to see BOB showing signs that he'd go to the rookie if his hand was forced.

My Team
    Houston Oilers
    Post Count
    Jason Braddock's take on Watson...I pretty much agree with all of this:
    Thank you for the invitation to take part in this enlightening and entertaining​ debate. I’m in a unique situation as I grew up in Florence, SC as a Clemson fan. Over the last decade I’ve had to allow my allegiance to every professional sports team to die so that I could cover the sports with an unbiased eye. However, Clemson fell in a "gray area" and by "gray area" I mean I’m not giving up my first sports crush, the Clemson Tigers.

All that being said, to point to the fact that I’ve watched every pass Deshaun Watson threw in college and maybe just as important, I saw how he handled the compe ion when he arrived at Clemson. Jim Kelly’s nephew, Chad Kelly was suppose to be the heir apparent following the Tajh Boyd years. In April of 2014, Kelly was dismissed from Clemson, Watson had arrived to Clemson in January of 2014. Throughout the entire process, Watson went the extra mile to be a part of the QB compe ion. He was calm, collected and determined.

I also remember Deshaun Watson returning to play Clemson’s chief rival the South Carolina Game s…with a torn ACL. This kid will do whatever it takes to be great. I don’t believe 2017 is prime for Watson. Let him learn, develop and reward Tom Savage for having more knowledge in this offense than anyone in Houston not named Bill O’Brien. Best case scenario, Savage has a great season, Texans can look at franchise and trade value if Savage boosts his stock that high or they could let him walk and receive upwards of a third round comp pick in 2019.

The Texans have one of the best contingency plans in the NFL at the quarterback position. You lose that if you start Watson week 1. There’s no going back to Savage in 2017 if he’s benched for Watson. O’Brien was sold as a QB guru, why would the guys who hired O’Brien not see if there was truth to the reasoning behind his hiring? O’Brien personally worked out Savage his first year as the Texans head coach at Pitt’s pro day. He’s groomed him for three years for this moment.

Oh, some will say that a 4th round pick that was selected 135th overall isn’t high enough in the draft to truly gauge how well O’Brien developed his ability due to lack of upside. First off, Dak Prescott was drafted in the 4th round, and to be more specific, he was also the 135th pick overall. Second, Savage was billed as the prototypical, big arm quarterback that will stand in the pocket and look down the barrel of the gun and deliver. He’s also seen the coming and going of Ryan Fitzpatrick, Brian Hoyer, Ryan Mallett and Brock Osweiler. What did that quartet have in common besides playing in Houston with Savage? They were turnover machines. Savage saw in QB meetings how O’Brien treats turnovers from his QBs. Savage can run the Texans offense exactly the way O’Brien wants him to. Ball control, run first, limit turnovers and chances. Watson is more in a developmental phase with an almost unlimited upside.

Banned
    My Team
    San Francisco 49ers
    Post Count
    Tom Savage will be holding a clipboard by Turkeyday.

My Team
    Houston Oilers
    Post Count

That's that. We'll see if Savage takes advantage of it.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count

At least you'll get a premium draft pick next year. Hmm... OL? TE? Secondary?

Banned
    My Team
    San Francisco 49ers
    Post Count
    I was going to post Watson vs Savage NCAA stats, (why they are here) then I saw Savages stats, hahahaha~~~~~ Trust me, talk about a no contest, its all Watson there.

It will take 6-7 weeks before Savage proves he is that guy with a 56.8 NCAA comp %. Two totally different talent levels here.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count

watson will be starter by week 6.

My Team
    Buffalo Bills
    Post Count
    It all depends...Houston's schedule is pretty favorable at first glance. If they're 4-2 at the bye then you keep Savage in. Maybe even 3-3 if Savage plays well. Anything less then you gotta go with watson

My Team
    Houston Texans
    Post Count
    lol like Savage's injury prone ass is going to make it a full game.

My Team
    Houston Oilers
    Post Count
    It all depends...Houston's schedule is pretty favorable at first glance. If they're 4-2 at the bye then you keep Savage in. Maybe even 3-3 if Savage plays well. Anything less then you gotta go with watson
    Yeah getting through the first few weeks will be the key. Schedule starts rough but gets a lot easier after the bye with the exception of the game in Seattle. I agree that anything less than .500 would be cause for replacement. 7-1 is doable in the last 8 games.

My Team
    New Orleans Saints
    Post Count
    Watson looked terrible. Could have 3-4 more picks and looks terrible in the pocket.

We've got a job to do. Darth_Pelican's Avatar
    My Team
    New Orleans Saints
    Post Count
    Went to the game; left at halftime to find the fight. Texans offense is anemic no matter who the starting QB is. Looks like a long season for the Texans.

My Team
    Houston Oilers
    Post Count
    ^tbh...

Banned
    My Team
    San Francisco 49ers
    Post Count
    How in the can the NFL play any "preseason" game right now between two Texas teams? Are you kidding me?

It should be....ok guys take a few days off and do what you can at home/family.

How in the can the NFL play any "preseason" game right now between two Texas teams? Are you kidding me?

It should be....ok guys take a few days off and do what you can at home/family.
    I'm waiting to see what happens to Houston's Sept 10th home opener.
    I suppose it may be reasoned that since football is Texas' largest religion that it could have some therapeutic value along with keeping some sense of normalcy.
    The Saints were certainly therapeutic for some New Orleans residents when they bowled after Rita.

My Team
    Houston Oilers
    Post Count
    The Texans were never going to lose the opener. Even if they don't score much, the Jags offense is even worse.

The test will be the first five/six weeks. Survive that and perhaps that hurricane lightning in a bottle might carry them to a playoff run.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    The Texans were never going to lose the opener. Even if they don't score much, the Jags offense is even worse.

The test will be the first five/six weeks. Survive that and perhaps that hurricane lightning in a bottle might carry them to a playoff run.
    If they can't play in Houston due to Harvey... they can't play in Jacksonville due to Irma... where do they go?

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    Cushing

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count

Thread Information