Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ESPN never adjusted to the digital era. Sportscenter used to be cool because you'd be seeing the highlights for the first time and the anchors were always very charismatic and likeable. Then we started being able to just watch it on our computers and phones and SC had to start bringing in all sorts of "analysts" to break down what had happened during such and such play during such and such game. Some of those guys were pretty good, some sucked.

ESPN then decided that they needed to boost ratings by having more "debate" style shows. At first, shows like Around the Horn and PTI were good shows, because these were good sports writers from around the country giving their takes on whatever was going on in the world of sports. I used to love ATH.

Then Stephen A and Skip started their little show, and although they were saying things that turned a lot of people off, the formula of "you be 100% this way and i'll be 100% that way on every single issue" got views and got people talking about whatever crazy thing they'd said that day.

During the same time, Disney ruined Monday Night Football by moving from ABC to ESPN. They overloaded the set with too many analysts and it got to be a bunch of dudes shouting at each other rather than football breakdown.

Also, ESPN would let left-leaning people like SAS, Jemele and Michael express polutical views, but when a guy like Curt Schilling(whom i don't agree with btw) tried to do the same thing he was reprimanded and eventually fired. The difference being, he was actually a great baseball analyst, while the other 3 i mentioned have trash ass sports takes.

Long post, but kinda sums up how ESPN fell off in my view.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Their problem is that they try to make the news instead of report on it. They aren't alone. Whomever does their marketing ideas, website design and lineups needs to be fired. They ed their website over a few years ago and it's never been worth a since. All that "Heat Index" and pages where specific cities had individual homer reporting on the big market teams really made ESPN out to be nothing more than a Walmart for sport news fixes 24/7 on multiple stages. Just because a website allows 20 substories doesn't mean Tebow's dog's pregnancy is news. It doesn't mean anything to do with politics has any place on a sports forum unless it's the POTUS throwing out a pitch or whatever, but the liberal ownership bet the farm on using their platforms to sway public opinion, so they get what they deserve.

them.

Believe..I'l Have another Biernutz's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ESPN Who cares....they should lop off another 400 of the "talent"

My Team
    Denver Nuggets
    Post Count
    Dan Patrick pulled the first brick out 10 years ago, and it's been crumbling ever since.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For ESPN to survive as a cable channel and a brand, they need to rebuild their brand around a couple of good "hot take" shows that just focus on sports. Don't bring on idiot guests like Lil' Wayne, DJ Khaled, and the like. No one wants to hear their dip opinions. Don't shoehorn politics into any of the debates. People retreat to sports to get away from politics. After that, the next property they need to focus on is their 30 for 30 series. They should be producing a new 30 minute one each week and a new full length one each month. Outside the Lines is another excellent show (when it doesn't travel into the political) that could be their big third IP. After that, just keep it business as usual, showing a variety of live sporting events.

I also think they need to can analyzing and breaking games down. Like I said, ESPN just can't compete on that end with networks that are devoted to a single sport (MLB Network, NFL Network, etc).

They might also want to look into a starting an On-Demand streaming service, like WWE did, where they can put up vintage Sportscenter episodes and old games. Be kind of neat to relive how the reporting unfolded on your favorite sports moments.

faggy opinion + certainty Mark Celibate's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    ESPN never adjusted to the digital era. Sportscenter used to be cool because you'd be seeing the highlights for the first time and the anchors were always very charismatic and likeable. Then we started being able to just watch it on our computers and phones and SC had to start bringing in all sorts of "analysts" to break down what had happened during such and such play during such and such game. Some of those guys were pretty good, some sucked.

ESPN then decided that they needed to boost ratings by having more "debate" style shows. At first, shows like Around the Horn and PTI were good shows, because these were good sports writers from around the country giving their takes on whatever was going on in the world of sports. I used to love ATH.

Then Stephen A and Skip started their little show, and although they were saying things that turned a lot of people off, the formula of "you be 100% this way and i'll be 100% that way on every single issue" got views and got people talking about whatever crazy thing they'd said that day.

During the same time, Disney ruined Monday Night Football by moving from ABC to ESPN. They overloaded the set with too many analysts and it got to be a bunch of dudes shouting at each other rather than football breakdown.

Also, ESPN would let left-leaning people like SAS, Jemele and Michael express polutical views, but when a guy like Curt Schilling(whom i don't agree with btw) tried to do the same thing he was reprimanded and eventually fired. The difference being, he was actually a great baseball analyst, while the other 3 i mentioned have trash ass sports takes.

Pretty much this.

I canceled my electric Jew service years ago since everything is online on YouTube now. IF I even want to watch the highlights of an NBA game, for example, there's a ton of guys who just upload 10 min highlight segments of each one. So I pretty much feel like I just watched the whole thing without the boring parts

I also think they need to can analyzing and breaking games down. Like I said, ESPN just can't compete on that end with networks that are devoted to a single sport (MLB Network, NFL Network, etc).

They might also want to look into a starting an On-Demand streaming service, like WWE did, where they can put up vintage Sportscenter episodes and old games. Be kind of neat to relive how the reporting unfolded on your favorite sports moments.
    DING DING DING!

Their analysis brings absolutely nothing to the table. NBA on TNT is 100X better (even though Shaq has made it worse) than ESPN bringing a different house n*gga each week who stutters through his vanilla takes tbh

Believe..I'l Have another Biernutz's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ESPN "ESPYS" . Bruce Jenner the most courageous athlete of the year......LOL

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ESPN "ESPYS" . Bruce Jenner the most courageous athlete of the year......LOL
    Ugh. What a horribly low point for a once proud network.

A neverending cycle Trainwreck2100's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I tuned into ath recently, 4 women. I don't mind Jackie mac cause she at least has been around for awhile. But the other three were trash.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I tuned into ath recently, 4 women. I don't mind Jackie mac cause she at least has been around for awhile. But the other three were trash.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The writing here is as good as most ESPN . That's a fact.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i wish i could go home and turn on espn, knowing that some track meet or cricket match or baseball game or wrestling match or other random compe ion would be on, at any time ... i would keep the tv on and tuned to the channel at all times
    I noticed you never mentioned povertyball.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    maybe if they broadcasted actual ... sports ... instead of people talking about sports ... one might be more inclined to watch
    Well that's kind of a problem for them.....they overpaid for rights to broadcast the major sports.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    I'm going to miss Ed Werder reporting about the latest Dallas Cowboys arrest

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Marc Stein let go, too..

This is pretty obvious with these massive NBA layoffs: Woj is going to ESPN soon on a max contract..I heard that rumor..They don't need his poor man's..

https://deadspin.com/sources-adrian-...spn-1791830016
    Last edited by spursistan; 04-28-2017 at 05:13 PM.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Doesn't this guy have an NBA MVP vote?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Marc Stein let go, too..

This is pretty obvious with these massive NBA layoffs: Woj is going to ESPN soon on a max contract..I heard that rumor..They don't need his poor man's..

https://deadspin.com/sources-adrian-...spn-1791830016
    Stein was alwayd second best to Woj but no one is third in this race. Huge decision.

I fear ESPN's way of approaching basketball will be kardashian level fake narratives. Just crazy.

But I think its an opportunity for fox.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Stein was alwayd second best to Woj but no one is third in this race. Huge decision.

I fear ESPN's way of approaching basketball will be kardashian level fake narratives. Just crazy.

But I think its an opportunity for fox.
    They canned Stein and the whole truehoop network and maybe more in the coming dys..Looks like something bigger afoot, which as I suspect will be Woj and the Vertical crew coming in, maybe behind a paywall..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They canned Stein and the whole truehoop network and maybe more in the coming dys..Looks like something bigger afoot, which as I suspect will be Woj and the Vertical crew coming in, maybe behind a paywall..

Never thought of it that way. I dont like the vertical crew. Woj is the best at scoops but their articles and "opinions" are all designed to get clicks. They never have any in depth analysis.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The cucks are safe.

Veteran
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    They don't need most of the NBA dudes, they have the GOAT when it comes to breaking NBA news. They still need to get rid of Jemele Hill. Affirmative action hire is so 2001.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Insider"
    "Outsider"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Damn. Ford, Stein, Thorpe, and Abbott all axed? Times must be tough over at ESPN

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

a paywall does nothing, people retweet him in a matter of seconds

Thread Information