Page 5 of 53 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    65 tons of American pride Canyonero's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've heard Chris' brother, Cliff, has a lot of potential too.
    Yeah but he prefers playing in the East.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/show...70#post8935970

It's possible, but if the Spurs had planned on 2017 being the year, Parker would have taken a shorter contract.
    Well I think this plan was cemented when they whiffed on KD...it's all about adjusting to the Warriors. They threw the monkey wrench in the whole thing..I also don't think it's safe to say LMA is coming back and if CP3 was coming here..he'd be out the door

what uganda do about it? Joseph Kony's Avatar
    My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    any way for CP3 to get around the huge deal he is leaving on the table and sign a 1+1 with a PO for the 2nd and opt out for a larger contract ala Durant this season? is this possible?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    any way for CP3 to get around the huge deal he is leaving on the table and sign a 1+1 with a PO for the 2nd and opt out for a larger contract ala Durant this season? is this possible?
    I believe the CBA jump this year is why KD signed the plus 1..which means he could bank on the raises if he signed long term this summer. Paul would benefit most signing long term now since age will hinder his contracts going forward..

But I wouldn't rule anything out tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wouldn't pursue Chris Paul for max money. I'd develop Murray. I would fast track him, just like Tony Parker's career. I don't want Murray to have Chris Paul hanging over him like Parker had Kidd when the Spurs heavily recruited Kidd to come to San Antonio. The only drawback from the front office for developing Murray like Parker, is if he shows a lot, the Spurs will have to consider the potentially paying Murray a lot more coming out of his cheap rookie deal.

In my opinion, although I truly believe Pop loved George Hill, the real reason Hill was traded is because Pop (and RC) knew he didn't want to pay him the big $$$ coming out of his rookie contract, so they got a rookie contract reset with Kawhi, and basically got lucky.
    That's not a drawback...
    If Dijon were to transform himself into a max contract type guy while he's 23-24 and needs to be reupped... that probably is a good thing for the Spurs bc they have a young player to pair with Kawhi whose ages are close and in the younger end of the spectrum. That is not a bad thing at all, also considering his age... those guys tend to outperform even those contracts, bc players that young are still improving if they put in the work. I'd rather max a 23-24 year old who has shown game and is only going to get better than some old player who is about to fall off a cliff (provided Dijon turns into that guy... I mean.. we don't know.)

Personally, the Hill trade had to do with paying him... but it wasn't just that. They needed size in the perimeter at the time. Pop and RC have said it. They needed a real SF and they had been playing Hill on the wings a lot bc they had a need there. It didn't make sense to pay him what he was worth when they still had MVParker and a Manu Ginobili who still had game... they needed size and talent at the forward spot and that is what they went and got (that Kawhi turned out to be the MVP he is, was completely unforeseen at the time).

This is just speculation... personally I don't think CP3 is bound for SA. He is likely staying in LA and if he's considering leaving there, he's not coming to SA... I am just considering all angles personally. If there is a rumor, I just see what can become of it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I gave a more robust one with him getting his full salary. But there's no way the Spurs can have Parker and Paul on the team at the same time with him getting a max deal and the team not having holes. , the above idea had Dedmon leaving a bunch of money on the table to re-up for a year.

Going under the cap kill depth if you don't mortgage your future to reacquire it. Doing it for three straight years would really hurt the team, especially if Paul doesn't give a discount.
    Thanks for your posts Chinook.
    You don't have an idea how confusing this stuff gets for me lol
    I really don't see the Spurs trading Tony to sign CP3 for a supermax deal. At this stage, I am on the wagon that doesn't see Tony getting traded.

Some guys here maybe can see it bc they hate Tony in an irrational fashion, but I don't see it. Tony obviously fits the culture, he's a part of it, we don't know how CP3 would fit in truth be told. He's as ball dominant as it comes. It's taken several seasons IMO for Tony to even learn to be effective without the ball and he still sometimes doesn't quite accomplish it thus his benchings. Kawhi having the ball a lot is going to continue. He just needs help so he doesn't have it the whole game and all the time, so that he can get a blow, and so that the offense doesn't fall down if he sits, things of that nature.

I wouldn't be upset if the least likely of options comes to pass and CP3 somehow joins the Spurs... it's no that I am against it, but it's just very unlikely.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for your posts Chinook.
    You don't have an idea how confusing this stuff gets for me lol
    I really don't see the Spurs trading Tony to sign CP3 for a supermax deal. At this stage, I am on the wagon that doesn't see Tony getting traded.

Some guys here maybe can see it bc they hate Tony in an irrational fashion, but I don't see it. Tony obviously fits the culture, he's a part of it, we don't know how CP3 would fit in truth be told. He's as ball dominant as it comes. It's taken several seasons IMO for Tony to even learn to be effective without the ball and he still sometimes doesn't quite accomplish it thus his benchings. Kawhi having the ball a lot is going to continue. He just needs help so he doesn't have it the whole game and all the time, so that he can get a blow, and so that the offense doesn't fall down if he sits, things of that nature.

I wouldn't be upset if the least likely of options comes to pass and CP3 somehow joins the Spurs... it's no that I am against it, but it's just very unlikely.

If anyone gets traded for CP3 it's LMA not Tony..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If anyone gets traded for CP3 it's LMA not Tony..
    It wouldn't make sense.
    I think it was TD 21 who made a good post about how the only way to appeal to CP3 would be to seel him in a "big 3 of him, LMA and Kawhi..."
    To lose LMA, what do you replace him with?
    Right now the team is unbalanced with a lot of depth in bigs and little in guards... in that case you have opposite world. Too much overlapping at the guard spot and not enough quality in your frontcourt.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bull . Parker bailed those guys out.
    I'm talking during specific games not in general. He had those ķind of guys+Timmy & Manu to lean on during those bad games. CP3 didn't because he was always the top guy. His bad games are magnified because his teams haven't had the talent to overcome them so he's labeled a loser. Tony' s teams OTOH have had the talent to overcome them and he's labeled a winner. It's ridiculously unfair, tbh.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It wouldn't make sense.
    I think it was TD 21 who made a good post about how the only way to appeal to CP3 would be to seel him in a "big 3 of him, LMA and Kawhi..."
    Right now the team is unbalanced with a lot of depth in bigs and little in guards... in that case you have opposite world. Too much overlapping at the guard spot and not enough quality in your frontcourt.
    I don't understand how fans can't understand this.

Twitter is even worse.

I had a guy on twitter tell me Spurs would be better starting Bertans at the 4 and Tony at the 2.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It wouldn't make sense.

CP3 ain't coming here because of LMA. He'd be coming here to play with Kawhi and Tony and to be coached under Pop. Again I'm not saying the Spurs should trade LMA but if he was the only road block I think he gets moved.

But if we did who do we replace him with?? A big who can be effective without needing to being a focal point of the offense. It's hard to find out who tho at the moment because we don't know what's available etc

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Almost zero chance imo although I'd welcome it with open arms. It's like people on here suddenly forget how hard it is to lure attactrive Free Agents to San Antonio. If we we're to have a real opportunity to bring CP3 to SA, we'd be incredibly dumb not to. He would immediately be our 2nd best player and better than all of our other Guards combined, improving our team significantly. These next 5-6 years are Kawhi's prime and I'd hate to see it wasted with a bunch of JAGS surrounding him Bc the Spurs failed to bring in top-tier talent.

But like I said, it's highly unlikely anyways. He's already stated his desire to remain in LA, and his family apparently loves it there. Doesn't want to uproot them, especially not to San Antonio. Plus Clips can offer him over $200M.. we can't. Don't see him leaving that kind of dough on the table.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's not a drawback...
    If Dijon were to transform himself into a max contract type guy while he's 23-24 and needs to be reupped... that probably is a good thing for the Spurs bc they have a young player to pair with Kawhi whose ages are close and in the younger end of the spectrum. That is not a bad thing at all, also considering his age... those guys tend to outperform even those contracts, bc players that young are still improving if they put in the work. I'd rather max a 23-24 year old who has shown game and is only going to get better than some old player who is about to fall off a cliff (provided Dijon turns into that guy... I mean.. we don't know.)

Personally, the Hill trade had to do with paying him... but it wasn't just that. They needed size in the perimeter at the time. Pop and RC have said it. They needed a real SF and they had been playing Hill on the wings a lot bc they had a need there. It didn't make sense to pay him what he was worth when they still had MVParker and a Manu Ginobili who still had game... they needed size and talent at the forward spot and that is what they went and got (that Kawhi turned out to be the MVP he is, was completely unforeseen at the time).

This is just speculation... personally I don't think CP3 is bound for SA. He is likely staying in LA and if he's considering leaving there, he's not coming to SA... I am just considering all angles personally. If there is a rumor, I just see what can become of it.
    I don't think the Front Office wants to risk paying anyone max or even big money if they are not more certain what they are getting. I think they (and everyone else) knew about Kawhi after his rookie deal was up. Are they going to be that sure with Dejonte? Especially with Tony and another veteran guard playing major minutes in front of him.

My concern is the Spurs don't commit to Murray's in-game development during his rookie scale if they pursue and get another veteran guard like Paul (btw, I don't think he will come here either). Then, when Murray's first contract is up, some other team takes a shot at him with a big offer the Spurs aren't willing to match.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/show...70#post8935970

It's possible, but if the Spurs had planned on 2017 being the year, Parker would have taken a shorter contract.
    Whats the list of players look like for the 2018 offseason?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Almost zero chance imo although I'd welcome it with open arms. It's like people on here suddenly forget how hard it is to lure attactrive Free Agents to San Antonio. If we we're to have a real opportunity to bring CP3 to SA, we'd be incredibly dumb not to. He would immediately be our 2nd best player and better than all of our other Guards combined, improving our team significantly. These next 5-6 years are Kawhi's prime and I'd hate to see it wasted with a bunch of JAGS surrounding him Bc the Spurs failed to bring in top-tier talent.

But like I said, it's highly unlikely anyways. He's already stated his desire to remain in LA, and his family apparently loves it there. Doesn't want to uproot them, especially not to San Antonio. Plus Clips can offer him over $200M.. we can't. Don't see him leaving that kind of dough on the table.

The league is in a different shape these days..and if the FOCUS is about a championship there aren't many options with the league being top heavy. Spurs NOW have arguably Top 5 player and the most respected coach by a long shot. If everything was equal then sure Spurs probably wouldn't be considered..but realistically look at the options around. It's the same short minded thinking that fooled everyone with KD..

Keep in mind KD had waaaaaay more going for him in OKC and he still left. But let's look at what he's possibly facing this offseason on where he can go.

Clippers- Resign for 200M and potentially lose Griffin, Red , Doc and other pieces. Best thing they can offfer is MONEY and Jordan as your best player. It's too hard to tell what type of team this can be and honestly just like KD I think CP3 is tired of Clipper drama

Pelicans- Finish career with NOLA? Play with AD and maybe even Boogie?? That's s young core the the league can't match up with. Getting a true PG could help but it's still uncertain how that tandem could work and they'd be extremely thin everywhere else. Doubt this is a real possibility but I've read about it.

Eastern Conference- There could be a sneaky team like the Bucks or a team in Ohio that may wang to shake things up if they get embarrassed in the Finals..

Spurs- Great friends with Tony, Tim, Pop. Spurs can offer a family amotsphere with NO drama yet same time would automatically make them #2 behind GSW pending other moves. Makes basketball sense tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think the Front Office wants to risk paying anyone max or even big money if they are not more certain what they are getting. I think they (and everyone else) knew about Kawhi after his rookie deal was up. Are they going to be that sure with Dejonte? Especially with Tony and another veteran guard playing major minutes in front of him.

My concern is the Spurs don't commit to Murray's in-game development during his rookie scale if they pursue and get another veteran guard like Paul (btw, I don't think he will come here either). Then, when Murray's first contract is up, some other team takes a shot at him with a big offer the Spurs aren't willing to match.
    He has 3 entire seasons ahead of him, summer league work, etc. He will get chances to prove himself.
    I think this is just hypothetical. If in 3 more seasons Dijon hasn't earned a consistent role then you say adieu to him and if he does, then you pay him. It's easy.

The other point is: do they want to have 2 HoF PG ahead of him while they have a very weak frontcourt trading LMA? Nope. As I said it doesn't make sense to trade LMA and let Pau go to stick with Tony/CP3... that's as lopsided a team as you can imagine. I suppose you could flip Murray (and someone else, Anderson maybe) for some help at another spot. It still doesn't make sense. YOu have the team unbalanced and much older.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    would make more sence to get someone to replace manu imo
    you could say tp would come off the bench (and me manu)to create or do you let murray come off the bench and create
    he would go against second strings to begin with and be more effect

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He has 3 entire seasons ahead of him, summer league work, etc. He will get chances to prove himself.
    I think this is just hypothetical. If in 3 more seasons Dijon hasn't earned a consistent role then you say adieu to him and if he does, then you pay him. It's easy.

The other point is: do they want to have 2 HoF PG ahead of him while they have a very weak frontcourt trading LMA? Nope. As I said it doesn't make sense to trade LMA and let Pau go to stick with Tony/CP3... that's as lopsided a team as you can imagine. I suppose you could flip Murray (and someone else, Anderson maybe) for some help at another spot. It still doesn't make sense. YOu have the team unbalanced and much older.

Murray would be fine behind Paul and Parker...especially if Manu retired and Simmons, Patty walk.

It's honestly ideal for him because he'd allow to play a combo guard role off the bench and learn from two great players.

That plan is sure better then giving him the keys to the castle next year like some want to do

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Murray would be fine behind Paul and Parker...especially if Manu retired and Simmons, Patty walk.

It's honestly ideal for him because he'd allow to play a combo guard role off the bench and learn from two great players.

That plan is sure better then giving him the keys to the castle next year like some want to do
    He's likely to get bench minutes though for sure any way, it's just a matter of what spot those minutes would come at and what role. I wasn't concerned about him and stated that initilly. It's Old School 44 who is concerned about him.
    I still don't like your plan for other reasons that don't involve Dijon.
    I just don't like any plan that has a lot of cap committed to two guys at the same position that you can't play together. I didn't like the Pau signing for similar reasons even b4 seeing him play bc Spurs had weaknesses at other areas, but I like him less now that him and Aldridge can't play together for example and thus Pau's minutes are getting reduced more... You just can't get full value of guys that need to play out of position a lot or have minutes limited... I don't like to pay a whole lot for players at the same spot. It's not sound management of limited cap resources and makes the roster very unbalanced.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's likely to get bench minutes though for sure any way, it's just a matter of what spot those minutes would come at and what role. I wasn't concerned about him and stated that initilly. It's Old School 44 who is concerned about him.
    I still don't like your plan for other reasons that don't involve Dijon.
    I just don't like any plan that has a lot of cap committed to two guys at the same position that you can't play together. I didn't like the Pau signing for similar reasons even b4 seeing him play bc Spurs had weaknesses at other areas, but I like him less now that him and Aldridge can't play together for example and thus Pau's minutes are getting reduced more... You just can't get full value of guys that need to play out of position a lot or have minutes limited... I don't like to pay a whole lot for players at the same spot. It's not sound management of limited cap resources and makes the roster very unbalanced.
    Well it's only unbalanced because you're taking into account what you know in the backcourt (Paul, Parker, Murray) and what you don't know in the froncourt without LMA. And let me add I'm not saying I want LMA gone all I'm saying is IF he was the only thing stopping CP3 from coming here he'd be moved. I know the LMA rumors earlier were real and he could be moved regardless of Paul coming here or not.

I wish I could give you a better idea of a front court if LMA was moved but I can't because trades and ring chasing vets are hard guess without the first domino falling

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Best chance is Red tbh..
    over green for sure

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It wouldn't make sense.
    I also said it's got to be about depth too because even though Leonard is obviously more appealing than Griffin at this point, when he already plays with Griffin and Jordan, Leonard and Aldridge is more than likely not enough to convince him to leave the money and city and play for a domineering coach, as well as off the ball some with another perimeter superstar (although that would be a partial selling point, it would still take some getting used to for such a ball dominate player).

If they're going to attempt to convince him, he needs to be sold on the things the Clippers can't sell him on: 3 and D wings, 2 intriguing young talents, all picks going forward and a track record of unearthing late round and undrafted gems.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I also said it's got to be about depth too because even though Leonard is obviously more appealing than Griffin at this point, when he already plays with Griffin and Jordan, Leonard and Aldridge is more than likely not enough to convince him to leave the money and city and play for a domineering coach, as well as off the ball some with another perimeter superstar (although that would be a partial selling point, it would still take some getting used to for such a ball dominate player).

If they're going to attempt to convince him, he needs to be sold on the things the Clippers can't sell him on: 3 and D wings, 2 intriguing young talents, all picks going forward and a track record of unearthing late round and undrafted gems.
    All good points.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    CP3. Small point guard who depends on his speed and turns 32 next week? No, I don't want RC to throw $25 million a season at him. Undersized quick point guards age like milk.
    He'll command more bank than he's worth at this point. I concur.

Thread Information