Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What would "banish"?
    For the team, the ability to not have a single weak link on defense. Murray is leading the league in defensive efficiency because when he's out there, opposing teams just don't have anywhere to attack the Spurs D. That would go away playing Murray next to Tony or Patty.

Then, he wouldn't be able to win individual battles for rebounds as often as he does playing against opposing SG's.

An finally, until Murray develops a jumper it makes no sense to play him off ball.

So, you would be ing up the three things he excells at: defense, rebounding and his surprising attacks to the basket when he brings the ball up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Really hope Parker takes his time to comeback, tbh..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Really hope Parker takes his time to comeback, tbh..
    Would you!?! Watching Murray doing what he's doing, would you take your time??

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lebron on Murray's IG post:
    Way to work lil bro!! Continue to build off that. #striveforgreatness #klutch

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For the team, the ability to not have a single weak link on defense. Murray is leading the league in defensive efficiency because when he's out there, opposing teams just don't have anywhere to attack the Spurs D. That would go away playing Murray next to Tony or Patty.

Then, he wouldn't be able to win individual battles for rebounds as often as he does playing against opposing SG's.

An finally, until Murray develops a jumper it makes no sense to play him off ball.

So, you would be ing up the three things he excells at: defense, rebounding and his surprising attacks to the basket when he brings the ball up.
    This.

I dont get why some want to move him to SG either. I elaborated on this topic last year.

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Rich Paul already in RC's ear about that max extension

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Him playing SG is silly...allow him to develop as a PG where his strengths lie...when he gets more pg instincts, he will be even better...Good god i swear Tony has multiple burner accounts on here

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Danny Green is the key to Murray having the advantages people want him to have. Danny has to be good enough to where you can't hide PGs on him. It doesn't matter if DeJounte "plays" PG or SG. He'll be guarded by wings if he keeps up the offensive production. And he should learn the two, because he won't be the functional one with Kawhi back anyway.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This.

I dont get why some want to move him to SG either. I elaborated on this topic last year.
    I assume they don't want a pet favorite player to lose minutes or a role. What you said made sense as well as DAF86 above. If there was previously a question about whether he could play the PG position (due to carelessness with the basketball or other concerns ppl had), it's been banished with this showing. The team is winning with him at that spot. I bet if you played Mills/Murray instead of Murray/Danny they wouldn't be doing so well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Danny Green is the key to Murray having the advantages people want him to have. Danny has to be good enough to where you can't hide PGs on him. It doesn't matter if DeJounte "plays" PG or SG. He'll be guarded by wings if he keeps up the offensive production. And he should learn the two, because he won't be the functional one with Kawhi back anyway.
    good point. I was just replying to Manu4tres about this in a different fashion but it's the same point. The pairing with Danny is the best. It's going to be difficult for size to neutralize him bc he has all the tools, aside from his size, he has quickness and shiftiness, and on top of that has length. I don't think being guarded by a SG for him would be a problem at all, he's also put on strength, its very noticeable in comparison to last season. But he's so much better at this point as a PG, it's not a debate. he's much better as a PG than Patty too, and when Tony comes back he will have a challenge as well.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't try to make it seem like DM relies on DG.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's the other way around.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Rich Paul already in RC's ear about that max extension
    Rich Paul does know how to pick em...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't try to make it seem like DM relies on DG.
    DM being guarded by the worst perimeter defender indeed relies on DG being too good for that defender. A worse Green will get Durant on Murray rather than Steph. This we've known for years.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DM being guarded by the worst perimeter defender indeed relies on DG being too good for that defender. A worse Green will get Durant on Murray rather than Steph. This we've known for years.
    DM already is the tougher guard if he keeps this up. No one is stopping the other team from putting better defenders on DM since he is the creator of offense and can get his buckets.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DM already is the tougher guard if he keeps this up. No one is stopping the other team from putting better defenders on DM since he is the creator of offense and can get his buckets.
    Murray is not the creator of offense, and he's only been getting his buckets for three games, with sporadic results before. Teams don't adjust their gameplans that quickly for the regular season, which is why it took years for them to start prioritizing Green when he shots well and still years for them to stop doing it when his shot fell off.

If Murray keeps playing well, he'll see a wing in the playoffs, and all these folks ing about him playing the two will see it doesn't really matter. But if Green can keep doing to PGs what he did to Lowry, teams will be forced to play Murray straight-up. That same trade-off has been the case since the semis in 2013.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Murray is not the creator of offense, and he's only been getting his buckets for three games, with sporadic results before. Teams don't adjust their gameplans that quickly for the regular season, which is why it took years for them to start prioritizing Green when he shots well and still years for them to stop doing it when his shot fell off.

If Murray keeps playing well, he'll see a wing in the playoffs, and all these folks ing about him playing the two will see it doesn't really matter. But if Green can keep doing to PGs what he did to Lowry, teams will before forced to play Murray straight-up. That same trade-off has been the case since the semis in 2013.
    Not all passes lead to assist. He is creating offense out there. Only a few people can see this. And the teams do change quickly. Dedman was a decent player till they scouted him a month and a half later.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not all passes lead to assist. He is creating offense out there. Only a few people can see this. And the teams do change quickly. Dedman was a decent player till they scouted him a month and a half later.
    Murray does his part, but he's not the HOTS or anything (by that I mean the literal acronym, not Parker). Most teams aren't going to react too quickly, which is why Murray has been played by worse defenders than Green has so far. Most coaches gameplan to stop Green from shooting, and if they do it right, they can stop him with a bad defender if that defender plays disciplined D. However, a Green that posts up, takes guys off the dribble and fires good passes requires a better guy.

In 2013, Green was checked by Steph until Game 3 when he dominated Curry on the boards and beat him up on screens. It forced them to switch Klay off Tony, because their first option was getting wrecked on both ends and eventually went out with injury. A similar thing has to happen to give Murray favorable match-ups. Sure, he may be good enough to score regardless, but that's a different debate.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    delete*

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Murray does his part, but he's not the HOTS or anything (by that I mean the literal acronym, not Parker). Most teams aren't going to react too quickly, which is why Murray has been played by worse defenders than Green has so far. Most coaches gameplan to stop Green from shooting, and if they do it right, they can stop him with a bad defender if that defender plays disciplined D. However, a Green that posts up, takes guys off the dribble and fires good passes requires a better guy.

In 2013, Green was checked by Steph until Game 3 when he dominated Curry on the boards and beat him up on screens. It forced them to switch Klay off Tony, because their first option was getting wrecked on both ends and eventually went out with injury. A similar thing has to happen to give Murray favorable match-ups. Sure, he may be good enough to score regardless, but that's a different debate.

The first will not happen consistently. That ship sailed long time ago. DM can give DG more room though to shoot 3s. That is a fact.

The second being that HOTS in his prime always had a tougher assignment than DG. Like all the ing time. 1 or 2 games doesn't cut it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The first will not happen consistently. That ship sailed long time ago. DM can give DG more room though to shoot 3s. That is a fact.
    It is obviously mutually beneficial for them both to play well in their roles. Green getting something out of it (predictable offense) doesn't negate what he offers (offense the D has to gameplan around).

The second being that HOTS in his prime always had a tougher assignment than DG. Like all the ing time. 1 or 2 games doesn't cut it.
    LDN Green and Prime Parker were only together for two years. It's hard to determine who drew tougher assignments in most of those series. Like Lebron guarded Green for the most part in 2013, though he checked Tony at critical moments to start the series. By the end that series, the Heat were so focused on Green that they stopped guarding Kawhi. Memphis that same year had Conley and Allen, two good defenders to the point that it didn't make a difference who guarded whom. In the WCSF, you had what I had described earlier. And who cares about the LAL series? In 2014, Green had wings for the Finals and WCF while Tony had PGs. The Blazers switched around a lot, but they didn't hide Lillard on Danny. And in the first round, they had two small guards (Calderon and Ellis, I think), so it didn't matter.

Of course, if Tony really did get the defensive priority despite Green being the best option for the Spurs in terms of PPP, then that only underscores my original point about how slow teams are to adjust to shifts in offensive priority.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It is obviously mutually beneficial for them both to play well in their roles. Green getting something out of it (predictable offense) doesn't negate what he offers (offense the D has to gameplan around).

LDN Green and Prime Parker were only together for two years. It's hard to determine who drew tougher assignments in most of those series. Like Lebron guarded Green for the most part in 2013, though he checked Tony at critical moments to start the series. By the end that series, the Heat were so focused on Green that they stopped guarding Kawhi. Memphis that same year had Conley and Allen, two good defenders to the point that it didn't make a difference who guarded whom. In the WCSF, you had what I had described earlier. And who cares about the LAL series? In 2014, Green had wings for the Finals and WCF while Tony had PGs. The Blazers switched around a lot, but they didn't hide Lillard on Danny. And in the first round, they had two small guards (Calderon and Ellis, I think), so it didn't matter.

Of course, if Tony really did get the defensive priority despite Green being the best option for the Spurs in terms of PPP, then that only underscores my original point about how slow teams are to adjust to shifts in offensive priority.
    Is this Fake news or some . Parker was a MVP candidate twice, at no point ever did Green become a more game-planned player than MVParker in his prime and certainly not the 2013 playoffs/finals.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is this Fake news or some . Parker was a MVP candidate twice, at no point ever did Green become a more game-planned player than MVParker in his prime and certainly not the 2013 playoffs/finals.
    You really think the Heat didn't eventually make stopping Green their top priority in 2013?

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You really think the Heat didn't eventually make stopping Green their top priority in 2013?
    They increased his priority, but it was still stop Parker at all costs. Do you watch basketball dude?

Thread Information