My Team
    Germany
    Post Count
    I was watching some replays from '06 world cup and if you look at the rosters from '06, '98, '94 and so on you see that there were many really stacked teams with '02 being strong but with less depth (but that brasil tbh.. ). And I mean stacked, for example: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_F...rld_Cup_squads . Each tournament had 5-6 real contenders with stacked rosters and a lot of star power.

If you look at '10 and '14 you clearly see weaker rosters and less star power. I'd say the causes are calciopoli, the pussy generation and the big clubs hoarding talent without developing it. What's your take sons? Imo we're seeing a dark age of football tbh.

My Team
    Real Madrid CF
    Post Count
    Argentina is stacked
    They just lack a leader

My Team
    Germany
    Post Count
    Argentina is stacked
    They just lack a leader
    imo many teams lack true leaders. Many talented players have gotten accustomed to playing well or just riding the bench in the 6-7 stacked teams in europe. This kills their leadership and their development, hence the beta generation. Sad tbh

My Team
    France
    Post Count
    I think there are less star players but more star teams tbh... Spain and Germany are good example of that, no dominant players but dominant organizations... I don't think evolution is bad tbh on the contrary

Systems are becoming more important than players unless you have a squad with average talent and one big player like Portugual or Brazil with Neymar before e or 2010 Netherlands. Very few teams now build their organization around one or two guys. Big nations like France, Germany, Brazil are producing a lot of talented players and don't compromise for one specific dude see France with Ribery.

Argentina issue is maybe to be between those two lines without clearly deciding fit Messi within an organization or fit organization to Messi

My Team
    Real Madrid CF
    Post Count
    France is gonna be stacked soon

Except at the RB position lol

2004-2010 was probably one of the best eras of international compe ions..Almost every relevant national team was decent to good during that period.

Not only few traditional powerhouses like Brazil/Italy/Netherlands have declined in the past few years, but pesky mid-tier teams like Serbia/Czech republic/Denmark have stopped producing talent which has affected the level of football in continental and international compe ion..

My Team
    CA River Plate
    Post Count
    I think there are less star players but more star teams tbh... Spain and Germany are good example of that, no dominant players but dominant organizations... I don't think evolution is bad tbh on the contrary

Systems are becoming more important than players unless you have a squad with average talent and one big player like Portugual or Brazil with Neymar before e or 2010 Netherlands. Very few teams now build their organization around one or two guys. Big nations like France, Germany, Brazil are producing a lot of talented players and don't compromise for one specific dude see France with Ribery.

Argentina issue is maybe to be between those two lines without clearly deciding fit Messi within an organization or fit organization to Messi
    Why would you say "Argentina's issues" after talking up a bunch of teams that have had much less success on recent years?

Realistic Spurs Fan Amuseddaysleeper's Avatar
    My Team
    FC Barcelona
    Post Count
    Germany and Spain had the advantage of having most of their players already being teammates on club teams.

Argentina never had that luxury. Most countries don't.

My Team
    Germany
    Post Count
    Germany and Spain had the advantage of having most of their players already being teammates on club teams.

Argentina never had that luxury. Most countries don't.
    interesting point here but flawed. Interesting because it is factually right, but flawed because this is just a consequence of federation work. In both germany and spain all NT teams (u17, u19, u21, NT) play the same system, and are coached consistently at all levels, the same style and same plays. Furthermore, the federations picks the style that best suits the nation (germany has a strong tactical game with quick hitters, spain has a short passing tika taka hybrid). So this luxury is actually the product of hard work at all levels, and any talented players learns this and can flow in and out of the squad. Furthermore nobody is over the squad, unless they're missi/penaldo level.

Italy does the same but the money was dried up till 2-3 years ago (now they're pumping $$$ into youth as they finally realized it's cost efficient).
    Netherlands has great academies but they're just short on talent these days.
    England plays a ing antiquated style (that sells to casuals who hate 0-0s) and has a league where local talent isn't given many shots, they've got the natural talent but they're just not developing it properly, nor playing a modern system, that's why they sucked even with stacked teams (gerrard-lampard-ferdinand-terry-peak rooney were a nice core, too bad they all played different systems and had a pussy coach).
    France is starting to learn the benefits of discipline and team >> nigging, the talent has always been there.
    Pesky teams like serbia/czechs/turkey have been replaced by other pesky teams like croatia/poland/swiss, it's the natural cycle, these teams lack proper federation structure or are too small(population, $$$) to last, so they are menacing when they're loaded and meek when they're not.

Imo people in europe are starting to smarten up because spain and germany have ran a train in the last 12 or so years at all levels (consistent wins/semis/quarters), while other teams couldn't translate youth success further out (because they don't understand that all u17-u19-etc have to play the same thing, in order to create continuity), and they are implementing the same federation wide changes. I'm looking at france and italy most, but there's been talk of the netherlands and, gasp, england). Portugal I think were one of the first teams to do this but they are too much into penaldo.

Trolling aside, south america needs to smarten up, but before it it needs to clean house. There is NO excuse of being on the cusp of not qualifying to the WC with a team like argentina (messi, higuain, dyabala, mascherano, di maria, and the like). Also brazil might look nice right now but the world cup will be won by a composed team. Before these changes take place they either need a superstar heavy team (2002 brasil ) or they're not winning the world cup period. Mark my words sons.

My Team
    Germany
    Post Count
    Why would you say "Argentina's issues" after talking up a bunch of teams that have had much less success on recent years?
    son spain, germany and portugal are led teams, you know it's hard to win a le so respect that. Brazil leads the qualification group and are looking like the best team in SA by a good country mile, unsurprisingly they're the only SA team that brough real changes (that 7-1 guaranteed it) and they're now reaping the benefits. Just accept that you need to reform your federation, it's quite obvious tbh.

My Team
    France
    Post Count
    by success you mean a bunch of finals without any le ?

Not sure why you are so defensive lately tbh... thread is about football evolution and star players... I'm just noticing a trend among great football nations where coaches prioritize organization rather than fitting star players except nations wih less pool of talents that focus on one or two key guys like Portugal. I mentionned here Argentina because of great pool of talents and one very dominant player that MAYBE put Argentina in a mix situation and this is MAYBE an issue.

Realistic Spurs Fan Amuseddaysleeper's Avatar
    My Team
    FC Barcelona
    Post Count
    interesting point here but flawed. Interesting because it is factually right, but flawed because this is just a consequence of federation work. In both germany and spain all NT teams (u17, u19, u21, NT) play the same system, and are coached consistently at all levels, the same style and same plays. Furthermore, the federations picks the style that best suits the nation (germany has a strong tactical game with quick hitters, spain has a short passing tika taka hybrid). So this luxury is actually the product of hard work at all levels, and any talented players learns this and can flow in and out of the squad. Furthermore nobody is over the squad, unless they're missi/penaldo level.

Italy does the same but the money was dried up till 2-3 years ago (now they're pumping $$$ into youth as they finally realized it's cost efficient).
    Netherlands has great academies but they're just short on talent these days.
    England plays a ing antiquated style (that sells to casuals who hate 0-0s) and has a league where local talent isn't given many shots, they've got the natural talent but they're just not developing it properly, nor playing a modern system, that's why they sucked even with stacked teams (gerrard-lampard-ferdinand-terry-peak rooney were a nice core, too bad they all played different systems and had a pussy coach).
    France is starting to learn the benefits of discipline and team >> nigging, the talent has always been there.
    Pesky teams like serbia/czechs/turkey have been replaced by other pesky teams like croatia/poland/swiss, it's the natural cycle, these teams lack proper federation structure or are too small(population, $$$) to last, so they are menacing when they're loaded and meek when they're not.

Imo people in europe are starting to smarten up because spain and germany have ran a train in the last 12 or so years at all levels (consistent wins/semis/quarters), while other teams couldn't translate youth success further out (because they don't understand that all u17-u19-etc have to play the same thing, in order to create continuity), and they are implementing the same federation wide changes. I'm looking at france and italy most, but there's been talk of the netherlands and, gasp, england). Portugal I think were one of the first teams to do this but they are too much into penaldo.

Trolling aside, south america needs to smarten up, but before it it needs to clean house. There is NO excuse of being on the cusp of not qualifying to the WC with a team like argentina (messi, higuain, dyabala, mascherano, di maria, and the like). Also brazil might look nice right now but the world cup will be won by a composed team. Before these changes take place they either need a superstar heavy team (2002 brasil ) or they're not winning the world cup period. Mark my words sons.

First off, great post but again, Messi missing some games for the NT has put them into this position. I still think they'll qualify but I don't have much hope for them getting past the QF of the WC. Tons of talent, but outside of Messi and Masch, the teams lacks any cohesion or fire.
    Last edited by Amuseddaysleeper; 05-18-2017 at 12:01 PM.

My Team
    CA River Plate
    Post Count

Not sure why you are so defensive lately tbh... thread is about football evolution and star players... I'm just noticing a trend among great football nations where coaches prioritize organization rather than fitting star players except nations wih less pool of talents that focus on one or two key guys like Portugal. I mentionned here Argentina because of great pool of talents and one very dominant player that MAYBE put Argentina in a mix situation and this is MAYBE an issue.
    Yeah, a bunch of finals and having the best wimning % of the last years, that's what I mean by success. At least a of a lot more success than some of the teams you mentioned like Spain, Brazil and specially France, tbh.

My Team
    CA River Plate
    Post Count
    son spain, germany and portugal are led teams, you know it's hard to win a le so respect that. Brazil leads the qualification group and are looking like the best team in SA by a good country mile, unsurprisingly they're the only SA team that brough real changes (that 7-1 guaranteed it) and they're now reaping the benefits. Just accept that you need to reform your federation, it's quite obvious tbh.
    This Spain isn't a led team, tbh. This Spain is a WC group stage exit and Euro 1/8th of finals exit team.

I didn't say anything about Germany, Portugal or even Chile, tbh. I'm just talking about the teams Brazil mentioned who are Spain, Brazil and France.

My Team
    France
    Post Count
    Yeah, a bunch of finals and having the best wimning % of the last years, that's what I mean by success. At least a of a lot more success than some of the teams you mentioned like Spain, Brazil and specially France, tbh.

you did not even read the rest of the post... oh boy dude... with dat level of saltiness you gonna fill the dead sea in 24 hours

yeah

but but my argentina is so successful
    don't say anything about my team

white knight

My Team
    Argentina
    Post Count

you did not even read the rest of the post... oh boy dude... with dat level of saltiness you gonna fill the dead sea in 24 hours

yeah

but but my argentina is so successful
    don't say anything about my team

white knight
    Brah, take it easy on DAF, he might have to make some room on his house for you to stay if everything explodes with Temer...

My Team
    Portugal
    Post Count
    Brah, take it easy on DAF, he might have to make some room on his house for you to stay if everything explodes with Temer...

My Team
    France
    Post Count
    tbh...we get used...I still have my home country if stuff become uglier

I loved the comment I think of Kevin Spacey (house of cards) saying basically it's hard to keep up with Brazil

My Team
    CA River Plate
    Post Count
    I have extra room to spare, tbh. We should organize a Patagonic Spurstalk soccer forum Asado, tbh.

My Team
    Real Madrid CF
    Post Count
    I heard Patagonia is beautiful

Why choose to live in Brazil? It seems like its one of those third world countries but prices of goods in general are just as expensive.

Only reason I'd ever live in Brazil is for women...heard lots of poor easy pickings in brazil

My Team
    Germany
    Post Count
    I heard Patagonia is beautiful
    +1

Thread Information