Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...op-in bents/
    The Health Care Bill Could Be A Job-Killer For GOP In bents
    By Nate Silver

Republicans in the House of Representatives voted today to approve a version of the American Health Care Act, their bill to repeal and replace Obamacare. The biggest effects of the bill will be on the millions of additional Americans who would go without health insurance if a similar bill is passed by the Senate. But it could also endanger the job prospects of the Republican members of Congress who voted for it and make a Democratic takeover of the House substantially more likely in 2018.

The previous version of the AHCA — which died in the House in March before it came to a floor vote — was an exceptionally unpopular bill. Polls in mid-March had opposition outweighing support for the bill by an average of almost 15 percentage points, and the numbers were getting worse; most notoriously in a Quinnipiac poll that showed just 17 percent of Americans supporting the bill and 56 percent opposed.

The various amendments to the AHCA since then — which were mostly made to placate the Freedom Caucus and have pushed the bill further to the right — aren’t likely to make it any more popular. Some of the amendments could even affect people who receive insurance from their employers in addition to those who receive Medicaid or buy insurance on the Obamacare exchanges. Republicans are also playing with political fire to pass such a bill before the Congressional Budget Office has scored the amendments and estimated how many additional people might gain or lose coverage.

In 2010, Democrats who voted for Obamacare paid a huge price in the midterms. Just how big a price? A 2011 study by FiveThirtyEight contributor Seth Masket and another political scientist, Steven Greene, found that Democrats who voted for Obamacare lost 6.6 to 7.6 percentage points of the vote, depending on which model they used. Note, however, that these totals refer to the share of the vote the Democrat lost and not to the margin that the Democrat had against the Republican. Since third-party candidates are rarely major factors in House races, almost every vote the Democrat loses is one the Republican gains. Thus, the effect on the Democrat’s margin against the Republican was roughly twice that — 13 to 15 percentage points. That’s a huge effect; it means that a Democrat who was on track to cruise to re-election by 12 points would lose if they’d voted for Obamacare.

A later study by Masket, Greene and three other researchers found impacts of a similar magnitude, estimating a 5.8 percentage point Obamacare effect on the Democrat’s vote share using one technique, and an 8.5-point effect using another. Again, these are vote shares, not vote margins. (We usually think in terms of margins here at FiveThirtyEight). The margins would be roughly twice as high — in the range of 12- to 17-point penalty for a Democrat who voted for Obamacare.

If Republican members should suffer a similar penalty for voting for the AHCA — somewhere in the neighborhood of 15 points — it could put dozens of GOP-held seats in play. Some 33 Republicans won their seats by 14 percentage points or less in 20161; of those, 27 voted for the AHCA.

Republicans in the next tier or two down could also be vulnerable, however, because the overall political climate is likely to be a lot worse for Republicans than it was in 2016. In 2016, Republicans won the aggregate popular vote for the U.S. House by about 1 percentage point. Democrats currently have a 5- to 6-point lead in polls of the 2018 House vote, however. Moreover, the numbers for the president’s party usually get worse over the course of the midterm cycle as more voters tune into the political process. There could easily be an overall partisan swing of 5 to 10 percentage points against Republicans, therefore. It’s not quite clear how this partisan swing would interact with the AHCA penalty — whether you’d add them together or whether that’s double-counting — but it should be enough to make a lot of Republican in bents nervous. There are 58 Republicans who won by less than 20 points in 20162 and who voted for the AHCA.

There are some mitigating factors for Republicans, however. Unlike Obamacare, the AHCA is somewhat unlikely to become law, at least in its present form: It faces considerable opposition in the Senate, which would likely pass a more moderate bill if it passed one at all. The Republican process for negotiating the AHCA also hasn’t been as drawn out as the one Democrats had for Obamacare. And President Trump makes a lot of news that could compete with the health care vote for attention. If the bill quietly dies in the Senate this summer, for instance, it’s not clear that a vote taken in May 2017 will be at the top of voters’ minds in November 2018.

Then again, in 2010, Democrats engaged in a lot of wishful thinking around Obamacare, hoping they could avoid the effects from passing a substantially unpopular piece of legislation that affected one-sixth of the U.S. economy. They were wrong; they got their health care bill but not without a big electoral price.

There’s even a chance that Republicans could suffer a bigger penalty than Democrats did. As unpopular as Obamacare was as it was being debated by Congress in 2009 and 2010, the AHCA is more unpopular still.

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Obligatory but Silver was wrong about the election post.

I expect AHCA to either not pass at all or to pass in such a form that it will still be promoted as a "work in progress" that can be used as a wedge issue in 2018.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A good sign and a good start will be the race in June with Ossof. If he wins Georgia 6 district, its on. Republicans will be running scared.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if any of them get voted out, they'll be replaced with other VRWC extremist tools, and will make more money as lobbyists and/or in some BigCorp quid-pro-quo job with lots of compensation and nothing to do.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Obligatory but Silver was wrong about the election post.
    LOL I love reading those whines from the right when Silver was the one who gave Trump a real chance to win. That Clinton was only up 4 in the polls and a completely normal two point polling error causing a drop to Clinton+2 could (and did) cost her the election.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LOL I love reading those whines from the right when Silver was the one who gave Trump a real chance to win. That Clinton was only up 4 in the polls and a completely normal two point polling error causing a drop to Clinton+2 could (and did) cost her the election.
    Yeah man, don't discount the whole Comey thingy either....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if any of them get voted out, they'll be replaced with other VRWC extremist tools, and will make more money as lobbyists and/or in some BigCorp quid-pro-quo job with lots of compensation and nothing to do.
    Boutons is right.....the overall political climate has drifted right....Eisenhower, Nixon, and even shades of the right's Lord Reagan today resemble DNC Democrats today...people don't want GOP lite....

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Boutons is right.....the overall political climate has drifted right....Eisenhower, Nixon, and even shades of the right's Lord Reagan today resemble DNC Democrats today...people don't want GOP lite....
    some people only. 40% still approve Trash, even as he and Repugs screw them even worse than they are now. Trash voters will be worse off in 2020.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    I hear the Senate will start from scratch. It will be better than Obamacare. We'll see how much better.

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    These guys keep talking about Health Care like it's something people purposefully get sick to take advantage of.

Does none of these Congressman know anyone with cancer? Or kids with birth defects?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let's update this to "firing Comey is definitely a job killer for any republican in bent that's due next year if they dont ask for an indepedent investigation."

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    These guys keep talking about Health Care like it's something people purposefully get sick to take advantage of.

Does none of these Congressman know anyone with cancer? Or kids with birth defects?
    they only know other millionaires, all 5-star insured

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Captain America has spoken.

Soak In Your Own Blood BanditHiro's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i mean considering the base is bunch of old people who will get ed over by this healthcare plan, yeah it makes sense.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    bou, that shirt says all that the repubs and independents need to/will hear to re-elect Trump - that you value people who come from out of the country over your fellow American who has a different opinion from you.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    bou, that shirt says all that the repubs and independents need to/will hear to re-elect Trump - that you value people who come from out of the country over your fellow American who has a different opinion from you.
    Repugs are betraying, destroying, ing up the USA, the immigrants are not.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

MacArthur is regretting having his name on the amendment.

DarrinS

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Republicans flub defense of health care vote
    GOP House members, facing angry cons uents, can't seem to get their message straight about their plan.

House Republicans celebrated passing legislation to repeal Obamacare last week — but apparently forgot to figure out how to talk about the feat back home.

The result has been a messaging mess, as lawmakers returned to their districts for a weeklong recess to face furious Obamacare defenders.

In interviews and at town halls packed with pro-Obamacare protesters, Republicans have struggled to explain the plan they just approved. Lawmakers are telling audiences conflicting things about how the bill would affect consumers. Others slammed a process they actively participated in or admitted they hadn’t read the entire bill before voting on it — even though GOP leaders spent months hawking a website called ReadTheBill.gop.

Rep. Raúl Labrador (R-Idaho) told frustrated cons uents on Monday that “nobody dies because they don’t have access to health care” — a gaffe he quickly walked back a day later. Labrador announced his candidacy for Idaho governor on Tuesday morning, and Democrats are already planning to use the comments against him.
    I don't feel sorry for them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Didn't go well for Republican Blum:

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Didn't go well for Republican Blum:

31:20 little old lady in a scooter absolutely wrecks the out of him

she was planted there by Soros

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    31:20 little old lady in a scooter absolutely wrecks the out of him

she was planted there by Soros
    , if Soros was footing the bill, I'd be right there taking the day off work.

As it is... it goes the other way around. Can't wait for Cruz to try a TH.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not that I am holding my breath.

Cruz doesn't give a about voters, just his ideology.

Most Texans in Congress not planning in-person town halls over recess

Few of the 38 Texans in Congress plan on reaching out to cons uents at in-person public forums during this congressional recess, according to a Tribune search of lawmakers' websites and social media.
    https://www.texastribune.org/2017/02...-halls-recess/

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Cruz is way too much of a chicken weasel to ever face a crowd like that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cruz is way too much of a chicken weasel to ever face a crowd like that.
    There are few statements I see here that I can agree with more.

Dude is a walking -magnet of galactic proportions.

Thread Information