Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Zaza's dirty job on him, the feeling of helplessness for not being able to help his team because of that, will only make him work OVER THE TOP in the Offseason to knock this posers down.

I'm talking about Michael Jordan type of Championship Season.

Book IT.

MJ didn't win sh** w/o Pippen. Who else is stepping up?

My Team
    Golden State Warriors
    Post Count
    Lebron calling Leonard a hall of famer.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/1...state-warriors

"It's probably up there," James said after the Cleveland Cavaliers' practice. "I mean, it's up there. Obviously, I've played against four Hall of Famers as well, too, with Manu [Ginobili], Kawhi [Leonard], Tony [Parker] and Timmy D [Tim Duncan] on the same team. And if you add Pop [Gregg Popovich] in there, that's five Hall of Famers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Putting up LeBron Numbers next year. Better defense and better shooter.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No team in NBA history -- not Michael Jordan's Bulls, not Bill Russell's Celtics, not Jerry West's Lakers -- has won more regular-season games over a three-year span than the 207 games the Golden State Warriors have won since the start of the 2014-15 regular season.

Yet Kawhi was single-handedly destroying that historic Warriors team before being cheap-shotted. Those twinks won't stand a chance if they had to play a team with prime Jordan and Pippen.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I read the OP and thought "Kawhi is joining Golden State"

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Yet Kawhi was single-handedly destroying that historic Warriors team before being cheap-shotted. Those twinks won't stand a chance if they had to play a team with prime Jordan and Pippen.
    But no media is talking about that, just how great gs is sibce they beat spurs bench. Great work. Ps the east is ing terrible

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    THIS. And then some.

Hoping we hear Simmons, Murray, and Bertans are camping out in the gym with Kawhi all summer.
    He's already back in the gym training - love it

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/s...m-11173144.php

Shhhh... I'll be gentle. TheDoctor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I read the OP and thought "Kawhi is joining Golden State"
    Nah, pretty sure Kawhi will be in a Spurs jersey for his whole life

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nah, pretty sure Kawhi will be in a Spurs jersey for his whole life

I want that too, but it probably does depend on who Pop's successor is.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Super-max money is super-max money no matter who succeeds Pop. Since the implementation of the new CBA, I thoroughly expect Kawhi to be with us until he retires.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Super-max money is super-max money no matter who succeeds Pop. Since the implementation of the new CBA, I thoroughly expect Kawhi to be with us until he retires.
    Supermax money means he'll be here for the next contract but who knows the state of the team past Pop. Hopefully he stays, I agree, but you never can be certain. He could become a trade piece at 33 or be frustrated if the team sucks at some point. If he doesn't respect/bond/see the team perform under Pop's successor things change.

The Peter Holt/Pop/RC/Duncan foundation that has lead this team 20 years will be down to RC relatively soon.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Supermax money means he'll be here for the next contract but who knows the state of the team past Pop. Hopefully he stays, I agree, but you never can be certain. He could become a trade piece at 33 or be frustrated if the team sucks at some point. If he doesn't respect/bond/see the team perform under Pop's successor things change.

The Peter Holt/Pop/RC/Duncan foundation that has lead this team 20 years will be down to RC relatively soon.
    I figure 2 years. Pop will make good on his "promise" to stay as long as LMA does. I expect LMA to opt in next off-season.

Shhhh... I'll be gentle. TheDoctor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    True, you never know. Although that was a direct quote from him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Amen.

Also, go back to the old rules where you can rough up the guards and Curry never finishes a season healthy. He can barely do that with the new soft rules.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We will all witness the "Return of the Kawhi"

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I see a silver lining in Kawhi getting injured in that there's a damn good chance we weren't going to win even with him. This shines a light directly on our deficiencies without them hiding under Kawhi heroics. Its been exposed for what it is. This also gets done without saying GSW has our number which would be been the case of we lost with Kawhi. Also, no more blaming Kawhi for playoff losses, it's officially because of the supporting cast. Cough Lamarcus Alridge.
    Last edited by skulls138; 06-01-2017 at 09:18 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I see a silver lining in Kawhi getting injured in that there's a damn good chance we weren't going to win even with him. This shines a light directly on our deficiencies without them hiding under Kawhi heroics. Its been exposed for what it is. This also gets done without saying GSW has our number which would be been the case of we lost with Kawhi. Also, no more blaming Kawhi for playoff losses, it's officially because of the supporting cast. Cough Lamarcus Alridge cough.
    I hope so.
    Sometimes I agree with this. Other times, I think it just allows Spurs FO to bail out the underperforming guys (LMA and others) bc Kawhi and Tony weren't there.

I watch Warriors play off the ball so well and in comparison the Spurs offense with LMA makes me vomit. Also, Pop is not teaching the the young guys to play off the ball well. Insufficient cutting and screen setting off the ball.

You know who actually learned to play off the ball and showed some improvement in non ball dominant playing? I don't have to tell you.

Anyways, Spurs offense with LMA is

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's nice having a superstar in his early prime. He can sustain an injury, the team can be poorly constructed, and there can be a superteam blocking the whole league...and we STILL have a chance with Kawhi for years to come (assuming he stays a Spur).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Plus Cleveland getting blown out when the Spurs rookies and youngsters put up a fight maybe gives confidence to Pop to stand pat.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hope so.
    Sometimes I agree with this. Other times, I think it just allows Spurs FO to bail out the underperforming guys (LMA and others) bc Kawhi and Tony weren't there.

I watch Warriors play off the ball so well and in comparison the Spurs offense with LMA makes me vomit. Also, Pop is not teaching the the young guys to play off the ball well. Insufficient cutting and screen setting off the ball.

You know who actually learned to play off the ball and showed some improvement in non ball dominant playing? I don't have to tell you.

Kawhi. I agree. Pops should be going to church everyday because he's got a guy who gets it. KL was ball dominant but adjusted when it became too much. That's who I thought you were talking about

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kawhi. I agree. Pops should be going to church everyday because he's got a guy who gets it. KL was ball dominant but adjusted when it became too much. That's who I thought you were talking about
    Lol I got your joke. A few Spurs play well off the ball but obviously plenty don't. The worst is Aldridge unsurprisingly.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hope so.

Genuine question because I know sometimes we go at it... But how do you know Pop and/or the coaching staff aren't teaching those guys how to play off the ball? There is an element of just knowing to do so when an opportunity presents it self from playing ball from young honestly.

But the other side is, I think it's showing Timmy's absence. When he caught the ball up at the key, (heck even David freakin' West, gotta give him props), they were good at making that pass to the cutter. Pau is good, but our other big guys, not so much. And LMA isn't drawing doubles to free up other guys, so it's tough to get cutters going down the middle of the lane because of the way LMA plays.

More than anything, it's probably a chemistry thing. TD could throw a pass backdoor and knew TP or Patty would be cutting just from a look they gave each other. GS essentially adopted our beautiful game offense, and it works because they've got the right personnel, chemistry, and spacing required. We don't quite have that anymore, so it just looks ugly at times. Much like our prime TD days when people called us boring because it was "4 Down" so much and that wasn't "sexy" ... Except it's Kawhi doing the 1 on 1 ownage of defenses. He's just lacking other viable/consistent options unfortunately.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Genuine question because I know sometimes we go at it... But how do you know Pop and/or the coaching staff aren't teaching those guys how to play off the ball? There is an element of just knowing to do so when an opportunity presents it self from playing ball from young honestly.

But the other side is, I think it's showing Timmy's absence. When he caught the ball up at the key, (heck even David freakin' West, gotta give him props), they were good at making that pass to the cutter. Pau is good, but our other big guys, not so much. And LMA isn't drawing doubles to free up other guys, so it's tough to get cutters going down the middle of the lane because of the way LMA plays.

More than anything, it's probably a chemistry thing. TD could throw a pass backdoor and knew TP or Patty would be cutting just from a look they gave each other. GS essentially adopted our beautiful game offense, and it works because they've got the right personnel, chemistry, and spacing required. We don't quite have that anymore, so it just looks ugly at times. Much like our prime TD days when people called us boring because it was "4 Down" so much and that wasn't "sexy" ... Except it's Kawhi doing the 1 on 1 ownage of defenses. He's just lacking other viable/consistent options unfortunately.
    I assume Pop bc a lot of these guys, the first round picks especially play a different ball when young. They are talented enough to be top players in their youth teams and in their college teams. Even in the dleague they stand out. You send them to summer league and they stand out. In all those teams they play with the ball a lot bc they are frankly the best players in any of those lower leagues but the NBA is a different animal and you can't play youth ball or dleague ball there.

You have to play differently. Part of it is,if Pop doesn't play them regularly it's thought to learn any consistency. Not enough reps, not enough against good compe ion etc. The other part is correcting guys when they do play, teaching, which is why all these coaches have an easier time playing vets. The young players do need to play in a different league, and off their leaders. I don't see enough cutting and screen setting inn the young players except for Kyle, who has adapted to playing off the ball and is always setting screens off the ball, cutting and/or sending others to cut. MAny of the other are just standing around when someone else has the ball. It's been a pet peeve I have had for a while.

But you mention a good point in that if players can't pass the ball well like LMA (who can't) then others aren't that active off the ball bc they aren't going to get the ball. Lack of talented passing is an issue in the SL at times. In general though the younger players tend to not be active enough cutting or screening off the ball.
    Last edited by SAGirl; 06-02-2017 at 12:54 AM.

Thread Information